AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-11-10, 06:17   Link #61
a_nevels666

I just saw the first episode and I have to say...I didn't really like it all that much. It's basically the same as Hajime no Ippo but not nearly as good. It's more like Saint Seiya in a boxing ring than actual boxing. (Although Saint Sieya fans might like that...) I guess this is because the manga on which it's based is so old. I'll give it a couple more episodes, maybe it'll grow on me.
Old 2004-11-10, 08:49   Link #62
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV|RockLee

there SERIOUSLY needs to be more leechers than this! in this day and age you have ~1000 leechers for series on release, and this is a shounen action series! ~400 COMBINED leechers and seeders just isn't enough for RnK!
I don't know if it's that surprising really. If I understand correctly, this is based on an old series. Personally I didn't like the outdated drawing style at all, and the boxing setting isn't interesting to me either. I have no idea if boxing anime has any widespread appeal, but this may only be interesting to fans of the old series or this specific subgenre.
Old 2004-11-10, 09:30   Link #63
AndrewLB
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to AndrewLB Send a message via AIM to AndrewLB Send a message via MSN to AndrewLB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax
I don't know if it's that surprising really. If I understand correctly, this is based on an old series. Personally I didn't like the outdated drawing style at all, and the boxing setting isn't interesting to me either. I have no idea if boxing anime has any widespread appeal, but this may only be interesting to fans of the old series or this specific subgenre.
Silence, what appeals to my appeals to all who possess "taste."

And I only got 200 or so downloads on my torrent (raw and script), so no worries. Considering the Elfen scripts only got a few hundred downloads, then the hard subs (based on the scripts) got several thousand...
Old 2004-11-10, 13:07   Link #64
updatedude

While I was downloading the ep, I googled the name, saw a blog review, and was looking forward to it. I knew coming in that it was a bit old, and stuff like that but...

To tell the truth, I didn't particularly like it either.

The story starting in the middle and things like that I don't mind, it's just that, because it was based on such an old title, that if I didn't know better, I'd have thought it was a parody. The style in general is cliche, though it probably wasn't cliche back when, but as it is, right now, it's hard for me to get into it. It all just seems so overly dramatic and cliche, and since it starts in the middle, there's no chance to get to know the characters enough for the drama to build to its current state.

I think the worst bit for me though, is the boxing itself. A mixture of dramatic boxing that's just a little too dramatic for a first ep, and what to me was an unsuccessful illustration of a certain boxing principal, well, it all adds up as too much too soon. I don't really mind the shounen drama all that much, but combined with the boxing, the first ep just doesn't do it for me.

The ending had me wondering if I should stick with it for at least another ep though.

Anywho, that aside, I'm not an expert on subbing or anything, but as a viewer, I think the subbing's pretty good. I admit I skipped the ending theme though.
Old 2004-11-10, 13:27   Link #65
musouka

I think it's a pity so many people seem to be turned off by it. Though I can understand why, perhaps because I'm coming in after having read the manga, I enjoy the anime a lot.

I think part of the problem is that they had to skip so much of the backstory, because that's actually pretty strong point of the series. Two runaways trying to make it in a big city, a boy realising that he can't just sit around and cry his entire life away when things don't go smoothly, a young girl that has to struggle between protecting her younger brother and allowing him to grow into a capable man...those things are naturally interesting, at least to me. And the flashbacks just don't give you the same sense of what these characters have gone through and how they reached this point in the series. This is actually the third big match between Kenzaki and Ryuji.

In that respect, I think the anime flounders a bit in the beginning before finding its footing. Shounen fights are at their most interesting when you know the two characters behind them. So for someone completely unfamiliar with the work, it probably seems weird, silly, and boring. I don't think it stays that way for very long--boring, I mean--but if it doesn't grab you it doesn't grab you.

But, at the same time, I don't really think this series is particularly aimed at newcomers. From what I've seen on the BBS on the official site, most of the viewers read this manga in their childhood, so they're able to fill in the blanks the first episode leaves. I myself enjoyed the first ep...but I loved the second episode. I think it gets its groove back there and becomes stronger and stronger as the series continues.
ずっと変りはしない
Old 2004-11-10, 15:05   Link #66
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

I didn't like the first episode much either. But at the same time it wasn't horrible.

I'll suggest you to watch a least 2 or 3 more episodes and see if you like it or not.
Old 2004-11-10, 17:10   Link #67
DarkLordDragon
Lord Of Darkness

Send a message via MSN to DarkLordDragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu
I didn't like the first episode much either. But at the same time it wasn't horrible.

I'll suggest you to watch a least 2 or 3 more episodes and see if you like it or not.
I have to agree with you, I saw the first episode it was pretty good but not as good as to be something taking SS's place lol, anyway I really like the first scene of the fight when Jun or whatever his name is (The one who have the same voice as Saga from SS) I noticed his special technique is like Saga's Galaxian Explosion!

Anyway the anime is great at least better than Monster, Gankatsou, Sounabozu...etc (Of course it's my own opinion not the public)
Old 2004-11-10, 22:52   Link #68
Kempis Curious
:love::love::love:

Location: Loving a peaceful life in San Clemente, California.
Quote:
Originally Posted by updatedude

The story starting in the middle and things like that I don't mind, it's just that, because it was based on such an old title, that if I didn't know better, I'd have thought it was a parody. The style in general is cliche, though it probably wasn't cliche back when, but as it is, right now, it's hard for me to get into it.
Unfortunately updatedude, you're right. I had never heard of this series before downloading it. And since the animation was obviously new, I thought it might be a parody of the ancient shounen boxing animes like Ashita no Joe.

Now that I've read this thread, I'll take this anime out of The Kempis Curious List of Bad Anime and put it in The Kempis Curious List of Anime for Fans Only. I might get more of it too... I liked what little I've seen of SS, and since so many people like it here. It's good to read this forum. (This forum turned me around on Azumanga Daioh... I used to think that anime was odd but forgettable. People here convinced me to watch more and now it's one of my top 10 favorites.)

-k

curious
Old 2004-11-10, 23:04   Link #69
musouka

From reading some flattering reviews of series I've found mediocre this season, I can't help but wonder if thise series would have been lauded if it had the right amount of nine year old little girl panty shots. Or maybe if Ryuji had fifteen girls after him... >_>

Sorry, I know that's snarky, but I suppose I'm a little bummed out that there seems to be no place in the modern anime fandom for silly, over the top, passionate fighting series...
ずっと変りはしない
Old 2004-11-10, 23:34   Link #70
AnimeFangirl

Haha, is that Patariro in your sig?
Ring ni Kakero, I kinda like boxing so I've been thinking of trying it. But I want to wait and see if Deph will be releasing regularly before I get myself into it. I'm more than willing to give it a fair chance.
Old 2004-11-11, 00:00   Link #71
EV|RockLee
Rock Lee PWNz

Send a message via AIM to EV|RockLee Send a message via MSN to EV|RockLee
Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka
From reading some flattering reviews of series I've found mediocre this season, I can't help but wonder if thise series would have been lauded if it had the right amount of nine year old little girl panty shots. Or maybe if Ryuji had fifteen girls after him... >_>

Sorry, I know that's snarky, but I suppose I'm a little bummed out that there seems to be no place in the modern anime fandom for silly, over the top, passionate fighting series...
haha, Mai Hime and School Rumble just aren't that great, on this one i gotta agree with you.

but this season's stilll been pretty good, with RnK, Rozen maiden, Gundam SEED Destiny, Diebuster, Gankutsuou, and BlackJack TV
Old 2004-11-11, 00:00   Link #72
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl
Haha, is that Patariro in your sig?
Indeed it is. I swear, that series has provided me with so much laughter...
ずっと変りはしない
Old 2004-11-11, 00:20   Link #73
EV|RockLee
Rock Lee PWNz

I just started the subbed ep.

i have to say, while the timing is great for the kareoke, the font just seems off.

i was thinking something really Roman-type
Old 2004-11-11, 17:10   Link #74
sangofe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewLB
(Sang, he's one of the guys in Deph, so I think that's unlikely)

would you mind editing your post andrew? I made a huge error writing wrong group....
Old 2004-11-15, 23:05   Link #75
EV|RockLee
Rock Lee PWNz

so what do you people thing of episode 2?
Old 2004-12-05, 13:17   Link #76
EV|RockLee
Rock Lee PWNz

YAY for ep 3 from Deph!
Old 2004-12-05, 15:42   Link #77
Xinil
Blargh

Send a message via ICQ to Xinil Send a message via AIM to Xinil
Hehe, we're glad to be of service.

This was actually an interesting ep. Although extremely unrealistic, it was kind of cool.
Old 2004-12-06, 02:36   Link #78
EV|RockLee
Rock Lee PWNz

hmm..you guys might wanna re-encode this ep...

around frame 8680 or so, well..see for yourselves...
Old 2004-12-06, 03:51   Link #79
Budweineken
Crap

yeah i agree with the re-encode... there were like 2 or three instances with glitches and jumps
Old 2004-12-06, 20:08   Link #80
EV|RockLee
Rock Lee PWNz

tthat aside, watching the ep subbed was pretty awesome!

the anime owns so much
Closed Thread