AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Web Novels

Notices

Old 2017-02-26, 10:08   Link #7341
kari-no-sugata II

Hmm, interesting. Potimas's thoughts on "gods" aren't that far different from how I thought they were presented in this series. Essentially he seems them as living creatures with a lot of energy. So to beat them you "just" need to make them run out of energy.

Somehow, I can imagine Shiro being really annoyed that Potimas used poison on Ariel. Shiro's Evil Eye of Gluttony seems handy against ever lasting opponents.

Hmm. If Ariel could duplicate "Kumoko" against all those robots and counter the magecraft jamming barrier then maybe she could win. If she can use Gluttony then she can fight forever too...
kari-no-sugata II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-26, 10:59   Link #7342
lullabyz

Wow... to think that this Poti guys actually care for Ariel even if it's a lil' bit...
lullabyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-26, 12:31   Link #7343
EvilSociopath323

Quote:
まったく、システムというものは理不尽この上ない。
 自然の法則をことごとく捻じ曲げ、世界のありようを変質させ、その上でこの世界に生きる生物にエネルギー の供給を強要してくるのだから。
This part is interesting. I wonder if Po would claim something like this if he thought that the system is there to restore the planet. Does he simply not know? Or does he know something we don't know? Or maybe he thinks that the system restoring the world is just a lie?
EvilSociopath323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-26, 12:39   Link #7344
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilSociopath323 View Post
This part is interesting. I wonder if Po would claim something like this if he thought that the system is there to restore the planet. Does he simply not know?
To be honest, my impression is that he does not give a damn if the energy is being used to restore the planet or not. Pochi sounds like he is merely pouting that such a huge amount of useful energy can be hoarded, without him touching it.

In any event, thanks to body in-charge, Ariel should be 100% clear on what's actually happening to her and how to solve it, so I'm looking forward what she does from hereon.

Last edited by Okashira; 2017-02-26 at 12:54.
Okashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-26, 12:44   Link #7345
Amuris

yeah, it seems more like he just fundamentally doesn't care if the world is dying. Can't tell if he's of the mind that they should just abandon the world rather than draining themselves to revive it(which makes his use of the tech hypocritical) or if he's just more nihilistic about it and thinks the world should be allowed to die rather than put on life-support.

The thing is, there are way to many people like Potimas in real life and I don't understand them either. So I can't just dismiss something a blatant stupidity or hypocrisy as that's what makes it more realistic...
Old 2017-02-26, 18:19   Link #7346
kari-no-sugata II

Translation for "Elf Village Battle ⑥" is up.

Spoiler for thoughts:
Old 2017-02-26, 18:33   Link #7347
NicApple

Idea 5: Zannen Ariel is intentionally playing the losing role so she can make a big comeback with her magic while introducing herself as the newly reborn maou shoujo ariel.

Potimas will self implode upon seeing her magic transformation scene.
NicApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-26, 19:02   Link #7348
Arkeus

Potimas seems to somehow think Gods have only power and almost no utility, which is weird.

Seems the odds that Ariel can easily take care of that Gloria unit are getting higher.
Arkeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-26, 19:31   Link #7349
K2Grey

I was wondering if Ariel could resist the magic obstruction effect with the magic obstruction effect of Divine Dragon Barrier. Kumoko tried with the lesser Dragon Barrier in the underground facility and failed, but the higher version of the skill might be worth a try.

However, from an author perspective, it is probably exceptionally easier to write the fight without having to worry about how Ariel should use her enormous arsenal of abilities.

What makes Potimas so confident the Gloria Type Ω can fight indefinitely? Is it just that it has a really huge battery or is it hooked up to something (the same power source as for the elf village barrier, perhaps)? I was sort of expecting Potimas to actually be hidden within the Ω, but if he is still talking over the loudspeakers then his body must be elsewhere protected by who knows what.
K2Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-26, 20:13   Link #7350
Tcol

Mind blowing with science+magic
Tcol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-26, 23:10   Link #7351
roffle

How does using this plan (sealed up room + CO2 from the Gloria) against Kuro even work? Kuro can just teleport them both outside?
roffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-26, 23:30   Link #7352
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Pochi is probably betting on his kekkai blocking teleportation. We already know that this is probably moot on Shiro, since her eyes are designed as a counter plan to that kekkai.
Old 2017-02-27, 01:21   Link #7353
EvilSociopath323

At this rate the reason why the robot is indestructible is that it's actually a hologram or something Po, for 2 chapters you made me think you're not just small fry. Give me back my expectations.

Also I hope we get to see his reaction about what's going on outside.
EvilSociopath323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-27, 02:04   Link #7354
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okashira View Post
Pochi is probably betting on his kekkai blocking teleportation. We already know that this is probably moot on Shiro, since her eyes are designed as a counter plan to that kekkai.
I think the biggest issue Potimas is going to face is that all his plans were based around Ariel and Kuro being the biggest dangers. Shiro is much more subtle than those two. We already know he's not prepared for her, but I really can't wait for him to realize that Shiro is a Goddess and that she became a Goddess one year after being born. I'm expecting monumental levels of rage.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-27, 06:09   Link #7355
kari-no-sugata II

So far in this "elf village war", we've seen the mass production grunt robots (10,000 or so), the sea urchins (100+), the triangular pyramid (1?) and the Gloria Type Ω (1?). What we've yet to see is the android / humanoid type Glorias - eg a modern version of what Sophia fought with or what Kumoko fought with in LN5. I wouldn't be surprised if the next chapter is from Sophia's POV and we see such a thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roffle View Post
How does using this plan (sealed up room + CO2 from the Gloria) against Kuro even work? Kuro can just teleport them both outside?
I'm not sure. The barrier around the village could prevent normal teleportation IIRC so there might be other stuff that blocks teleport. Whether that would work on Kuro is another matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okashira View Post
Well, if the "magecraft jamming field" where Ariel is exceeds Shiro's power output, I'm not sure what she could do (as in, I don't know not that Shiro would be trapped). The field doesn't extend into the body, so it wouldn't rob her of raw strength but it would probably block her teleporting out. What Kumoko did in chapter 200 did restore her status values and internal skills but didn't allow her to use normal magic. On the other hand, what does it mean for her clones? Would they be able to summon Shiro out remotely or not?

When Shiro "ate" the "magecraft jamming barrier" around the sea urchin, at the time Shiro wasn't inside a jamming field. She also didn't need to "overpower" the barrier - essentially she used a higher level technique. Would Shiro be able to "eat" a "magecraft jamming field" from within the field? Hmm. I guess so? It might depend on exactly how the field is created/maintained and the relative power levels of the field and Shiro's Evil Eyes. If the field can be rapidly re-created then it would become a battle of how quickly Shiro can eat it vs how quickly it can be recreated - so she might not be able to do magecraft in general normally but she could probably eat the field indefinitely. Which would be the exact opposite of what Potimas would want
Old 2017-02-27, 06:50   Link #7356
J4n1

Does Kuro even need to breathe?
You'd think that was among the first weaknesses you'd get rid of as a god.
J4n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-27, 07:03   Link #7357
kari-no-sugata II

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4n1 View Post
Does Kuro even need to breathe?
You'd think that was among the first weaknesses you'd get rid of as a god.
Maybe he doesn't but even if that's the case he would still need to "spend" energy to create the same effect internally. Potimas's plan is basically "make the opponent run out of energy" - it's very simple and very "boring". It would be very effective if the execution has no "holes" (loopholes, flaws).

We shall see how things turn out but right now, I think Potimas's flaw is that while he's good at preparing he's seems to think it's possible to create a "perfect" plan. If he doesn't have anything significant on top of what he's shown so far then that would be the case. If he has alternative plans based on alternative concepts then he would be much more dangerous. He hates the "illogical" System but the System does show one thing - everything can be countered and there's no perfect solution.

I wonder if it'll become a big problem that Shiro didn't secure all the reincarnators first. If Potimas starts getting nervous he might try to do something with them and Shiro might not be able to react in time.
Old 2017-02-27, 08:04   Link #7358
kari-no-sugata II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
I think the biggest issue Potimas is going to face is that all his plans were based around Ariel and Kuro being the biggest dangers. Shiro is much more subtle than those two. We already know he's not prepared for her, but I really can't wait for him to realize that Shiro is a Goddess and that she became a Goddess one year after being born. I'm expecting monumental levels of rage.
Shiro can be so subtle that I wonder how long it will take Potimas to realise that Shiro is actually a god? She's deliberately using the minimum amount of energy, so it might not be obvious.

When Shiro originally fought with Alaba, she said she could have probably defeated it with just Sloth and the Evil Eye of Grudge. It's very much the same concept as Potimas is using here. I've had a bunch of ideas on how Shiro could fight with Kuro and some of them are similar to what Potimas is trying here, but without the magecraft jamming field - the general idea was for Shiro to sneakily suck up Kuro's energy every time he attacked, slowing draining him, while also trying to "poison" him with something very subtle (and this would be just the warm-up stage as well).

I don't know if Shiro is doing any indirect attacks on Potimas currently, or if she's leaving it entirely to Ariel. For example, one thing that Shiro could do is have a load of spiders underground, digging their way towards Potimas's base. Then find Potimas's MA reactors or whatever and take those out first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcol View Post
Mind blowing with science+magic
A number of authors would say that "magic" shouldn't have rules and shouldn't be explained. That's one option. This is the kind of cool stuff you can do when magic is explained and is more like an extension of physics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2Grey View Post
What makes Potimas so confident the Gloria Type Ω can fight indefinitely? Is it just that it has a really huge battery or is it hooked up to something (the same power source as for the elf village barrier, perhaps)? I was sort of expecting Potimas to actually be hidden within the Ω, but if he is still talking over the loudspeakers then his body must be elsewhere protected by who knows what.
The sea urchins have a connection to another dimension inside them. The Gloria Type Ω probably has something similar. Maybe it can repair itself from almost nothing and be continuously fed energy remotely...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkeus View Post
Potimas seems to somehow think Gods have only power and almost no utility, which is weird.

Seems the odds that Ariel can easily take care of that Gloria unit are getting higher.
Not sure what you mean by that. Potimas is saying that a god's utility is a combination of the amount of energy it has plus the knowledge it has. In System terms, "energy" = MP and "knowledge" = magic related skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicApple View Post
Idea 5: Zannen Ariel is intentionally playing the losing role so she can make a big comeback with her magic while introducing herself as the newly reborn maou shoujo ariel.

Potimas will self implode upon seeing her magic transformation scene.
Hehe

But Ariel's plan to mentally attack Potimas by cutting through all his plans and traps would work... if she succeeds. Potimas thinks there's no chance Ariel can win since it was designed to take on a god. If a mere mortal can beat it then obviously he sucks. The kicker would then be for Shiro to appear and be introduced as a god. Clearly proving that he'd totally overestimated himself. Maybe D will then reincarnate Potimas as a worm but with his old memories
Old 2017-02-27, 08:32   Link #7359
J4n1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata II View Post
A number of authors would say that "magic" shouldn't have rules and shouldn't be explained. That's one option. This is the kind of cool stuff you can do when magic is explained and is more like an extension of physics.
Realisticly, any world with magic would have magic as part of whatever science or natural philosophy it has.
And that would reflect on technology levels of the world (depending on abondance and ease of use of the magic).

Unfortunately lot of authors (light novels, web novels, novels, etc...) tend to just make a poor imitation of an existing culture, dump some mages in it, possible a few out of place magical contrivances (adventurers guilds and their card systems being a major offender here) and call it a day.
J4n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-27, 09:48   Link #7360
kari-no-sugata II

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4n1 View Post
Realisticly, any world with magic would have magic as part of whatever science or natural philosophy it has.
And that would reflect on technology levels of the world (depending on abondance and ease of use of the magic).

Unfortunately lot of authors (light novels, web novels, novels, etc...) tend to just make a poor imitation of an existing culture, dump some mages in it, possible a few out of place magical contrivances (adventurers guilds and their card systems being a major offender here) and call it a day.
Certainly laziness on the part of authors and simply writing "more of the same" without thinking about it is quite irritating as a reader. That being said, it is possible to write an interesting story with magic that keeps it mysterious and unexplained but that limits a lot what you can sensibly do with it. Personally, I much prefer the style of magic in fiction like in this story where it effectively supplements physics. You can then do really cool things with the story.

It's interesting to contrast Shiro's attitude towards the System (as a god, she treats it more like a tutorial to learn from) vs Potimas attitude, where he treats it as something broken/incomprehensible. It's amusing to picture him tearing his hair out simply trying to create a chemical poison

Tags
fantasy, non-human mc, reincarnation