AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-03-26, 22:03   Link #1001
E_I
Yuri fan

I think the ending is pretty clever.
Spoiler for Spoiler:
E_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 22:03   Link #1002
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenger1589 View Post
I haven't posted in fucking years, but seeing people having problems understanding such a simple ending is actually making me rage for real, and this post in particular is fucking ridiculous. Hollywood didn't invent MiB, they are a urban legend that predates the films by decades and their existence doesn't mean there are aliens living on earth or than have made contact with humans.
Well excuse me for not being into UFO pop culture, but the anime clearly parodied the films. And the ending was not hard to understand; just dissatisfying.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 22:11   Link #1003
Revenger1589
otaku against own will

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Well excuse me for not being into UFO pop culture, but the anime clearly parodied the films. And the ending was not hard to understand; just dissatisfying.
You hardly need to be into anything to know about MiB, and the obvious fact that this anime was referencing the movie doesn't mean it has to be exactly the same.

Quote:
If there's an MIB alien races are already on the planet. So not wrong.
The leap of logic here is awesome.
Revenger1589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 22:16   Link #1004
Dr. Casey

Quote:
I haven't posted in fucking years
you posted about six months ago

welcome back btw

Good conclusion to an enjoyable series. It's nice that Tetsurou is showing at least a tepid interest in Mio, though poor Kanna's still in the forever alone camp.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 22:19   Link #1005
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenger1589 View Post
The leap of logic here is awesome.
Really? When basing the MIB on the one in the film?
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 22:35   Link #1006
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for last episode and final thoughts:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 22:49   Link #1007
ZODDGUTS

Overall decent series like Onegai Twins was. Onegai Sensei was much better than those two though.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 22:54   Link #1008
Supah Em
WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
*Scanlator

Well, Onegai Sensei delivered what Twins and AnoNatsu should have done. And to think it came first.
Supah Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 22:58   Link #1009
linkinstreet
[Your] clan on Steam

Send a message via MSN to linkinstreet Send a message via Yahoo to linkinstreet
Hmm some thoughts

>While there are some hint of Onegai Teacher and the film version of MiB, Remon did say that Ichika was the first alien she knew, so it means it's not the same universe as Onegai Teacher nor did the Japanese MiB ever encountered any alien before
>Bolivian doll has kanji and katakana? What?
>Ichika did came back. The film was never dubbed in yet before she left.
linkinstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-26, 23:51   Link #1010
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxus View Post
So Remon was really from the MIB? What's more Satoshi(Manami's Husband) was also a part of it? So they heavily implied that Mizuho was Ichika's ancestors. And what's with the narration as if saying she didn't end up with Kei or they just revise a little bit for the sake of plot? Never mind
I believe this refers to that time when Mizuho was forced to leave Earth at one point. She was only able to return as a fugitive thanks to her mother and sister.

This seems like an easter egg more than the full blown cameo I was hoping for. Maybe in a future OVA..?
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 00:03   Link #1011
Spartanz1170

Meh ending overall, but damn-
Spoiler for lol:
Spartanz1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 00:08   Link #1012
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
I believe this refers to that time when Mizuho was forced to leave Earth at one point. She was only able to return as a fugitive thanks to her mother and sister.

This seems like an easter egg more than the full blown cameo I was hoping for. Maybe in a future OVA..?
I am sure if Mizuho really did leave, she was pregnant
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 00:09   Link #1013
TimeSkip

I think everything is explainable. Remon said Ichika was the first alien she knew, but that doesn't mean this is the first MIB's alien encounter.

The existence of MIB proves that there already have been alien contacts. But what kind of aliens? Being categorized as such a low level of civilization, Earth is probably a heaven for fugitives or runaways aliens like some third world countries. That's why there has never been an official contact, so Earth is still classified as a Class F planet.

After Ichika's left, MIB may have used the technology gained from those broken pods to establish an official contact, thus raising Earth status probably from F to D+. Hence Ichika can return to Earth without getting her memory erased, and this time she comes legally through MIB approval.

All hail agent R

Last edited by TimeSkip; 2012-03-27 at 02:41.
TimeSkip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 00:15   Link #1014
touge-n00b
ZC6 Eishi

The ending itself was kind of meh, but I really love the little nod given to Onegai Teacher, that was probably the highlight of the episode for me. Still though even if I wasn't personally satisfied with the ending-ending, overall this was probably one of my favorite series in the past few seasons. Sad to see it go, hope we get an Onegai teacher style episode 13.
touge-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 00:43   Link #1015
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Upto the return of the alien plot, I would say 7 or even 8, it was nice to watch Onegai Sensei remade.

But after that 5, even 4... since the only thing that did better was the animation, everything else was either copied or sucked ass

The only thing that can redeem this train-wreck is an H-13th-episode as both Onegai did

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Meh, the last couple episodes brought the anime down. Lame chase scenes and predictable drama, concluded with a senselessly obscured reunion and a HUGE plot-hole that renders the previous drama pointless.
I doubt that I have face-palmed so many times as I did with these last episodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei.K View Post
Expected a bit more closure regarding Tetsuro/Kanna/Mio, but as we still got a few clues I guess it's ok. In the end, Kanna is the only one that didn't get a "happy ending".
Overall the ending was more or less what you would expect, but it was still quite touching. Nice to see the heavy implications and ties to Onegai Teacher, the fans will be delighted.

Definitely could have done without the whole alien mumbo jumbo though, as although it was fun, it felt a bit forced and too shallow to me.
Mio/Tetsuro/Kanna triangle was the most interesting part of the show (fanservice excluded), and was left as developed as the two chicks in Okinawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Overall decent series like Onegai Twins was. Onegai Sensei was much better than those two though.
Nah, Onegai Twins was better than this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
I am sure if Mizuho really did leave, she was pregnant
She left, everyone's memory (except Kei's) was erased, and then she came back, in the last TV episode.

Well, it's not that both Onegai had the most rebust plot, but this one has so many holes that makes Hollywood films seem works of geniuses. Apart from the MiB, alien contact, ancestral memories, advanced surveying tech that is worse than maps from the previous centuries, and cloaking blanket that does not work... the worse was that Kaito is still alive without Ichika's curing kisses
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 02:36   Link #1016
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

agent R... omg... she is the only reason why I watch this anime...
now, I'm wondering why they call Earth is F-class planet while they actually got an organization to deal with alien... lol

for the movie, it's not an actual movie but only a compilation about their memorable summer
just like what Remon said, the movie is incomplete

so here's my guess, we see Remon already designed a space ship
so maybe Kaito manage to be one of the crew and deliver that clothes to Ichika and finished the movie... happy end, eh?

I want to see more Remon!!!! agent R!!!
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 03:24   Link #1017
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
I've already mentioned before that for me the main appeal of this show is the romance aspect, particularly the Kanna-Mio-Tetsurou triangle, and that I don't care much about Kaito-Ichika romance or the alien subplot that they bring. As such, the peak is already at ep 10 and the last two ep is just tying up loose ends, but even then I think they already resolved thing pretty well.

For instance, the MIB. The way I see it, they use MIB as a general meaning of the word and not the movie version (though one shot seems pretty similar). That is, the idea of a secret organization investigating hidden mysteries/conspiracies that the general public doesn't even has an idea exists. After all, Remon seems pretty high-ranking to have a car and subordinates, yet she says Ichika is the first Alien she saw. So I think the organization is just found to search and investigate conspiracies like Roswell or Crop Circles, whether they're true or a hoax, but so far haven't found anything yet.

However, looking at the blueprints of the ship it seems that a few years down the line they have managed to find and reverse-engineer (probably with Rinon's help? How come he can do a special visit?) the ship. Remember, having previous alien contact is just one criteria, the other is for human to develop interstellar travel - it seems that they have succeeded already, making them not Rank F anymore and consequently allowing Ichika to visit back.

As for closure, the only thing I complain is on the triangle, sure I said that I don't mind who ends up with who as we has already saw great developments for the character anyway, but if they put them in an epilogue I kinda want to see something more substantial than being back to square one. No complaints on Ichika-Kaito front though, sure they can be clearer but I think they did enough, enough clues to piece out what happened instead of being spoonfed.

I think using the film as the method instead of showing it directly is a good touch as well. After all, it's clear that the theme of the anime overall is memories (of that summer), and through Kaito's monologue at the end it's that to be able to be preserved forever, we must pass it on to other people as well. Therefore the film is a good thing to show that to the next generation, Ichika wearing the poncho is clear enough sign that yes, she has somehow landed safely, met Kaito and got his gifts. Again, this may be because I'm not that emotionally invested in their story, so skipping the reunion (as it's really obvious how it will happen anyway) is something that I appreciate.
Old 2012-03-27, 05:54   Link #1018
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

I wonder, would the series work with only the triangle/polygon and completely devoid of Ichika and all the alien stuff? I'd say NO, it would become really dull with just the 4 in some countryside town and their love plot that has no special features - that's not how such stories work.

I'd even go as far as to think that people who rather enjoyed the "mundane" relationship (triangle) only did so because it was closely intertwined with, yet in contrast to the "special" relationship (alien stuff).

As for #12, I'm pretty satisifed with the ending, a 13th ep would be nice but having proof at the end that Ichika came back is enough for now. Best show in many seasons indeed.
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 06:29   Link #1019
Rei.K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waven View Post
I wonder, would the series work with only the triangle/polygon and completely devoid of Ichika and all the alien stuff? I'd say NO, it would become really dull with just the 4 in some countryside town and their love plot that has no special features - that's not how such stories work.
I respect your opinion but I beg to differ. The series sustained itself for TEN episodes without having to rely on the space/alien subplot, except for that one part at the end of the matsuri. What engaged the viewers and sometimes touched them deeply (in my case) was the character relationships and how it evolved with each episode. Ichika could have been an actual foreigner to trigger awkward/funny scenes or something of the like. I couldn't care less about the space stuff, it was shallow and had no substance, and it kinda ruined the finale to me. I still enjoyed the series and I will remember the good times I had in episodes 1 to 10, especially when I'll listen to the ed.
To each their own I guess.
Rei.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 07:46   Link #1020
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei.K View Post
I respect your opinion but I beg to differ. The series sustained itself for TEN episodes without having to rely on the space/alien subplot, except for that one part at the end of the matsuri. What engaged the viewers and sometimes touched them deeply (in my case) was the character relationships and how it evolved with each episode. Ichika could have been an actual foreigner to trigger awkward/funny scenes or something of the like. I couldn't care less about the space stuff, it was shallow and had no substance, and it kinda ruined the finale to me. I still enjoyed the series and I will remember the good times I had in episodes 1 to 10, especially when I'll listen to the ed.
To each their own I guess.
I never said anything about "space" stuff. That's why I explicitly only wrote "alien" because it covers more than just the "space alien" topic. As you mentioned, Ichika could've been just a foreigner to Japan triggering similar moments and creating almost an equal special feature but that wasn't what I was commenting on to begin with.

The point I was actually refering to is that I keep reading "I don't care about Kaito and Ichika" in this thread (hence me specifically phrasing "devoid of Ichika and all the alien stuff" ). It's not so much the dislike of the, admittedly, weak space/action part but rather the disregard to KaitoxIchika in general. It's almost like some people seem to forget that the main couple also had a proper romantic development before the "space arc" began. So my thought experiment is: Could this series function properly if there was no Ichika at all and consequently Kaito not having any romantic interests whatsoever, thus resulting in a total focus on the triangle?
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
romantic comedy, shounen