AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-05-23, 12:24   Link #421
Shadow5YA

Either way, Sega never promised to stay with Nintendo before now. Even way back when Heroes was released for the Gamecube they also made a port for the PS2. I would argue the only reason Secret Rings and Black Knight were exclusive to the Wii is because they were experimenting with the Wii's motion controller so it wasn't possible to port it over to the other two consoles.
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 13:53   Link #422
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
At the very least Nintendo seems to have Sega and Platinum Games on board this time, which is much more than what they had for the Wii.
You seem to have forgotten how many developers Nintendo had on board back in the day for the Wii. Sure, most of them abandoned the console down the road, but they were there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I'm sure it will but people forget that the gamecube had Melee at launch... lot of good it did them, to paraphrase Iwata, "If the Wii sells like the Gamecube we should leave this business", hilariously the Wii U is selling far worse.
Yet the Gamecube was still profitable for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremesonic101 View Post
I'm so upset that I missed out on Xenoblade since I love Pandora's Tower and Last Story so I don't wanna miss this one
Import the PAL version.
Quote:
Oh right... I really forgot about those because of how bad they were
Sonic and the Secret Rings is a good game!
Quote:
Even way back when Heroes was released for the Gamecube they also made a port for the PS2.
They outsourced the PS2 port, and it shows. There was also an Xbox port which was a bit prettier, but that had its own bugs.
Old 2013-05-30, 05:05   Link #423
Sides

WiiU gamepad gets a power upgrade, up to 60% more power..

WiiU gamepad gets a power upgrade, up to 60% more power, battery power that is ^^, so it is going from 3-5h to 5-8h
And finally it seems that Nintendo will be pushing the WiiU domestically soon, with pack and stuff announced for the coming months.
Source: siliconera
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-30, 20:21   Link #424
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

So I want a Wii U eventually. I was thinking about getting an external HDD for it. A small one, one of those compact ones. There are some drawbacks with that, though. There would be clutter and extra wires with the Wii U setup by your TV. Also, when I looked around for external HDDs on newegg, I wasn't finding any ones with very good ratings that also didn't require being plugged into an outlet. One that draws power from a USB port is more ideal. If I had to get one that plugs into an outlet, that is an extra wire in the setup, another outlet being used up, and I'd have to unplug the HDD every time I am not using the Wii U (I read that keeping external HDDs plugged in all the time shortens their lifespan by a lot).

So there are alternatives. SD cards and USB thumb drives. USB thumb drives can be used on the Wii U just like any external HDD could, right? Just double checking on that. And you can play games directly from SD cards on the Wii U, correct? If so, maybe I could do just fine with a 32 GB model Wii U that has a big SD card and a big USB thumb drive. I'm under the impression that 128 GB SD cards and thumb drives aren't very reliable yet, but 64 GB ones are very reliable. Is this correct? Anyway, if I only went with a 64 GB SD card and a 64 GB USB thumb drive, do you guys figure that is a pretty viable storage solution for the Wii U?

You can have a SD card and USB thumb drive both hooked up and ready to go for your system. Could you have a second USB thumb drive in addition to that; being hooked up and usable? I'd probably never need to have more than two thumb drives and an SD card for a Wii U system.
Old 2013-05-31, 04:11   Link #425
Sides

The WiiU has standard powered USB ports, if you really don't want a extra PSU for your HDD, you can get a portable HDD, normally designed for notebooks/ultrabooks, that powers itself from the usb ports. Some of them will have a Y-cable included to add additional power to the drive, by using two usb ports. I have to check, but the WiiU has two usb port on the back on two in the front, so you can sacrifice the ones on the back.
Thing you need to know about external portable HDD, they tend to be slower, smaller in capacity and probably a bit more expensive. However the USB port on the WiiU are only 2.0 specs, so 7200rpm or 5600rpm won't make a huge difference, but the available cache on the drives will, see why SDD are actually faster then HDD on the WiiU, despite the USB2.0 limitation.
The SD slot is not really usable for DD, except for Wii stuff, unless they changed it with one of those recent updates.
Old 2013-05-31, 23:18   Link #426
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I'll want an external disk drive for Wii U for when they put Wii U games on the eshop, and GameCube games (assuming they put GameCube games on the eshop). So should I get a SSD or just get a HDD? You say the SSDs are actually faster on the Wii U, but could I play games off of an external HDD with no lag?
Old 2013-06-01, 01:22   Link #427
Sides

The difference is really just the loading and seek time. Just get a HDD and you should be fine.
Don't know if this video works: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm19687217
it shows the comparison between the storage options and their load speed using MonHun3U, disc, internal flash, HDD and SSD. Both HDD and SSD were using the same external case, so it shows, that despite for the USB2 speed limitation, the diy SSD solution loads and reacts quicker, than the HDD one.
However in both cases it load much quicker than the disc retail version. If is really hard to define what lag is, in this case, it really depending how you see it. If you use the disc version as the basis, all three other options are faster, if you use the internal flash as a base, Disc and HDD were slower, aso
Old 2013-06-01, 02:39   Link #428
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

What I mean with lag is that if I play a game directly from an external HDD, will the game stutter sometimes or will it play smoothly like if it was a game from a disc or a game on the internal flash memory?
Old 2013-06-01, 03:04   Link #429
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
What I mean with lag is that if I play a game directly from an external HDD, will the game stutter sometimes or will it play smoothly like if it was a game from a disc or a game on the internal flash memory?
It will be faster than a retail disc version, slower than the internal flash, unless it is a SSD or HDD with big cache.

Other new E3 page!
http://e3.nintendo.com
From nintendo direct to you, get the raw news, with not gap man between.

Last edited by Sides; 2013-06-01 at 03:55.
Old 2013-06-01, 05:21   Link #430
Sagi

For those that have a wii u and live in north america you can buy Super Metroid for $30 cents until june 11 2013.
Sagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-08, 17:15   Link #431
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I kind of want a Wii U for 1st party games. If I got one this year, I could have NSMB U, Wind Waker HD, and SM3W. Next year I could have X, SSB, and MK 8. I think it'd be worth owning a Wii U for those games and there will be others down the line worth owning.

But I'm a bit on the fence about Wii U. I'm now actually worried about the system's future. How long will the system last?

I sometimes wonder if the Wii U will only get global sales of about 15 million. I think they'd be lucky to match GameCube sales of about 22 million.

What were the Sega Saturn global sales?
Old 2013-07-08, 17:49   Link #432
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

WiiU will survive. It just needs the first party games to show up, and another price drop. It would never be more than "the second console", but that's fine for Nintendo. You wouldn't really want both MS and Sony console unless money is no object, as they overlap too much. But there will always be a reason for a Nintendo game. Just not at current prices...
Old 2013-07-08, 18:08   Link #433
4Tran

Quote:
I kind of want a Wii U for 1st party games. If I got one this year, I could have NSMB U, Wind Waker HD, and SM3W. Next year I could have X, SSB, and MK 8. I think it'd be worth owning a Wii U for those games and there will be others down the line worth owning.
Make sure you pick up the Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 as well. Those are sure to be two of the best games for the system. It'll drop to either $300 or $250 by December, so it's better to wait for now. If the drop isn't to $250, it should be down there by March. Most of the games you listed won't be out for a good long time, so you're not going to lose out much by waiting.

Quote:
But I'm a bit on the fence about Wii U. I'm now actually worried about the system's future. How long will the system last?

I sometimes wonder if the Wii U will only get global sales of about 15 million. I think they'd be lucky to match GameCube sales of about 22 million.

What were the Sega Saturn global sales?
If you're okay just with just the games that have been announced for the Wii U so far, then I think a purchase is justified. However, I wouldn't expect a whole lot more until 2015, and it might be anemic support at that. When the Ubisoft and Warner games bomb in the fall, the only third-party support is going to be restricted to titles like Sonic, Scribblenauts, Skylanders and Let's Dance. The Wii U is currently trending lower than the Gamecube right now, and there are no signs of any improvement until maybe December, and it may be a dead console by then.

The Saturn had worldwide sales of 10 million. Right now, the Wii U is sitting around 2.5 million (as opposed to 3.45 million shipped), so there's a chance that it won't get there. Personally, I think that your estimate of 15 million units lifetime sounds about right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
You wouldn't really want both MS and Sony console unless money is no object, as they overlap too much.
That fact is going to really hurt Microsoft.
Old 2013-07-08, 20:12   Link #434
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Nintendo really squandered away a year head start.

I dunno about Bayonetta 2. I'm not much into games like DmC. I'm more open to The Wonderful 101, though. I'll keep an eye on that one.

I'll probably get Pikmin 3, as well. I never played through Pikmin 1 and never played Pikmin 2, but I'll keep an eye on Pikmin 3.

Here is hoping that a Metroid game goes on Wii U, and that an F-Zero game with online play goes on Wii U. Throw in Star Fox, too. Wii never had F-Zero or Star Fox. If the Wii U is a Nintendo Box that has Mario games (2 so far), Zelda games (WW HD so far), Metroid, SSB, Mario Kart, F-Zero, and a Star Fox shooter, the Wii U will be worth owning for Nintendo fans.
Old 2013-07-08, 20:36   Link #435
4Tran

There hasn't been any announcement for Star Fox or Metroid, so if there's a game coming, it probably won't show up until 2015. Any new Zelda is probably going to show up in 2015 or 2016 - Nintendo's workflow is just that bad. Miyamoto Shigeru outright said that there's no F-Zero in the works, so I wouldn't hold out any hope for that. I imagine that Nintendo is just going to stick to as conservative a game lineup as possible, and pray that they will revive the Wii U's fortunes. It probably won't as even the Vita is a more attractive platform right now.
Old 2013-07-08, 20:41   Link #436
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Vita is getting more support from Japanese devs because console gaming isn't big in Japan right now, but handheld gaming is big there still.
Old 2013-07-08, 20:53   Link #437
4Tran

Vita is getting more support because third parties are able to make a lot more money there than on the Wii U. The best-selling third party title on the Wii U so far is ZombiU, end result?

Quote:
Yves Guillemot, Chairman and CEO of Ubisoft, is typically one of the biggest proponents of new systems, but betting big on the Wii U didn't work out well for the company. ZombiU, one of the most popular launch titles for the system with players, was not profitable, he says. Not even close. As such, he says, there are no plans (or even desire) for a sequel.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...e-this-holiday

On the other hand, Assassin's Creed: Liberation, sold about 600,000 copies on the Vita, and Ubisoft was happy with its performance.
Old 2013-07-08, 20:58   Link #438
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Who are Ubisoft to complain? They had Rayman finished and ready for February and pushed it back until it releases on PS3 and XBox 360 as well. Otherwise, they could complain, but with that, I don't have sympathy for them.
Old 2013-07-08, 21:06   Link #439
4Tran

They delayed Rayman because they lost a lot of money on ZombiU. Tossing it out in March would have been throwing good money after bad. A multiplatform release at least gives Ubisoft a chance to recoup some of their costs.
Old 2013-07-08, 21:08   Link #440
GDB

Not that they couldn't have still released it later for PS3/Bone after releasing it in Feb/March for WiiU...
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nintendo