AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2008-05-20, 17:47   Link #801
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApostleOfGod View Post
Doesn't necessarily justify the whole Black image. I got no complaints, but isn't that kind of blunt? "Fairly dark skinned, he must be black." -_-
Not really, because Obama constantly emphasizes his "black" side. I have not seen much references to his "white" side except for his mother.

To be blunt: It's already one strike against him for being mixed, but add in how he lives, it's hard NOT to consider him "black".
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 18:00   Link #802
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Doesn't necessarily justify the whole Black image. I got no complaints, but isn't that kind of blunt? "Fairly dark skinned, he must be black." -_-
He also married a black woman and goes to a predominately Black Church

Quote:
Word. But especially in America..
If you don't know who Obama or his background and you see him jogging down the st on a morning run.

Do you see:

A successful African American jogging down the st

or

a successful Half Black/Half White man jogging down the st?
Old 2008-05-20, 18:03   Link #803
Alleluia_Cone
Prospective Cog

Regarding Barack Obama's chances in the General Election, and what others have posted on this board, I think there is a strong chance he will win almost every state Kerry did, with the possible exception of Pennsylvania. That means he pretty much has a lock on 230 electoral votes right now. He needs to get 40 more electoral votes to win a majority (270). That isn't as easy as it sounds, especially considering he has no shot at most of the remaining states. Ohio has 20 electoral votes, Pennsylvania has 21, and Florida has 27. He is going to have to win at least two of those states if he is to win the presidency. Mind you, he lost all three to Hillary Clinton during the primaries, and neither of the three losses was by a paper thin margin, i.e. she usually won by at least 10% or more.
Alleluia_Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 18:03   Link #804
nanafan
horo fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
it is no sadder then the black population voting for Obama because he is black.

the race voting isn't a one way street, so don't make it out like it is only Clinton supporter that are racist.
i didn't mean it like that, but i hope people vote for the candidates because of the issues they support or they feel that they would do a good job as the president.
nanafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 18:09   Link #805
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleluia_Cone View Post
Regarding Barack Obama's chances in the General Election, and what others have posted on this board, I think there is a strong chance he will win almost every state Kerry did, with the possible exception of Pennsylvania. That means he pretty much has a lock on 230 electoral votes right now. He needs to get 40 more electoral votes to win a majority (270). That isn't as easy as it sounds, especially considering he has no shot at most of the remaining states. Ohio has 20 electoral votes, Pennsylvania has 21, and Florida has 27. He is going to have to win at least two of those states if he is to win the presidency. Mind you, he lost all three to Hillary Clinton during the primaries, and neither of the three losses was by a paper thin margin, i.e. she usually won by at least 10% or more.
The one factor that we would have to consider is the "white backlash" scenario. Who knows how many people will vote for McCain just to avoid voting for Obama?
Old 2008-05-20, 18:25   Link #806
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Actually, we do know. CNN had a prediction close to 67% of Clinton supporters would not support Barack Obama, however 70% of Obama supporters would support Clinton. ** I cant look at that number and say that racisim isn't a part of why people wont vote for Obama. So while you may say people are racist for Obama, this clearly shows that that is nowhere near a problem as the reverse is. Its also all these attacks on Obama that i personally would never support Clinton, even if she won. Id rather sit home and watch the country go down the drain.

** the source of that comment
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/05/...iref=polticker

EDIT: I'm not paying a lot of attention on the math, but the site i gave you has all the numbers. and fixing my wording.

Last edited by SeedFreedom; 2008-05-20 at 18:31. Reason: Edit fixing my numbers
SeedFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 18:26   Link #807
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
For the 100th time.. Obama is Equally Black And White.

How did he get propagated to being simply "Black" and have his mother's side omitted?

Americans..

That's a remnant of the "single drop of black" makes you black that the racist seqregation and post-slavery laws cemented into the cultural mindset. Its made even more ridiculous by current so-called 'census and equal opportunity' rules which until quite recently insisted you could only be one "race" (whatever the fuck THAT word means). To this day, many forms my children have to fill out dictate they only choose "asian" or "white" (whatever the fuck THOSE terms mean) -- I tell them to circle them both or neither. If you don't fill them in, the poor bureaucrat is supposed to GUESS what you are and mark it in... (extra points for spotting the racism in THAT)

So yes, in many ways the US is massively fucked up worrying over imaginary differences that don't really matter. But then many of our citizens can't do basic risk analysis or even vote their real interests either.

Pardon my profanity, but I'm just really really tired of this fictitious "race" idea.

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-05-20 at 18:36.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 18:29   Link #808
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleluia_Cone View Post
i am willing to put money that Obama won't win a single Southern State and that includes FL. I agree OH and Penn will be a toss up on who can connect with the voters there better.
Old 2008-05-20, 18:29   Link #809
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
That's a remnant both of the "single drop of black" makes you black that the racist seqregation and post-slavery laws cemented into the cultural mindset. Its made even more ridiculous by so-called 'census and equal opportunity' rules which until quite recently insisted you could only be one "race" (whatever the fuck THAT word means). To this day, many forms my children have to fill out dictate they only choose "asian" or "white" (whatever the fuck THOSE terms mean) -- I tell them to circle them both or neither. If you don't fill them in, the poor bureaucrat is supposed to GUESS what you are and mark it in....

So yes, in many ways the US is massively fucked up worrying over imaginary differences that don't really matter. But then many of our citizens can't do basic risk analysis or even vote their real interests either.

Pardon my profanity, but I'm just really really tired of this fictitious "race" idea.
Well, "race" should indeed be replaced by "ethnicity". At least, it made sense medically, where some ethnic groups are indeed at higher risk from certain diseases than others.

Find a term which can be worked with. Apparently, "race" fails by a big margin.
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 18:30   Link #810
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
It's not fictitious. Only so called "liberals" would think as such.

Although I agree that the whole thing is messed up in the United States (where I did live for 7 years).
Old 2008-05-20, 18:32   Link #811
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae View Post

Although I agree that the whole thing is messed up in the United States (where I did live for 7 years).
looking at the riots last year in France i would say race is NOT just a US problem.

Just my opinion but i think the US see too much of race in everything and European don't see enough of it.
Old 2008-05-20, 18:34   Link #812
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
looking at the riots last year in France i would say race is NOT just a US problem.

Just my opinion but i think the US see too much of race in everything and European don't see enough of it.
I was talking about the problem with the distinction between the "races", not racial conflicts.
Old 2008-05-20, 18:37   Link #813
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae View Post
I was talking about the problem with the distinction between the "races", not racial conflicts.
I personally recognise that there are ethnic groups *points to medical comment*. It's hard to distinguish "race" if your family background is a little mixed.

Vexx married a third-gen Japanese (Correct me if I'm wrong). What does that make his kids?
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 18:42   Link #814
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedFreedom View Post
Its also all these attacks on Obama that i would never support Clinton, even if she won. Id rather sit home and watch the country go down the drain.
Oh come on. It's not like Obama is innocent of attacks either. Everytime I see him pulling the "innocent" routine, acting like he's the victim of personal attacks and yet still throwing jabs at the other candidates I just want to gag. The biggest race issue in this campaign was Wright, and lets face it, Obama should have cut ties to that church ages ago. But he didn't and it came back to haunt him.

He's a very well spoken man. He's got some interesting ideas, and a lot of support. But his imagined lead isn't as great in reality. Despite his gains, he's not really all that far ahead of Clinton. I'm not sure how well or poor that speaks of either candidate but the people are split on choosing even if the media pretends the primaries are over. And in many simulations and predictions, both democratic candidates are split versus McCain.

He's not some messiah of change that people make him out to be. He's just another politician hoping for a shot at the big seat, and he'll say and do anything to get there. The only difference between him and Clinton at this point is that he's in a position where he can afford to let Clinton do pretty much anything and he'll still eek out the win.
Old 2008-05-20, 18:43   Link #815
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
It's not fictitious, but it's not relevant for anything other than the general shape and appearance of your body. You shouldn't need to fill that in in an official form.

I would personally feel insulted if I had to do that.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 18:44   Link #816
ApostleOfGod
^.^

Quote:
He also married a black woman and goes to a predominately Black Church

If you don't know who Obama or his background and you see him jogging down the st on a morning run.

Do you see:

A successful African American jogging down the st

or

a successful Half Black/Half White man jogging down the st?
Lol.

But Obama isn't just a jogger that you see in the morning. Thus, can we really say there's much of a comparison there?

But I do agree. It does seem like Black would be his more predominant culture. I'm just pointing out the fact that there's a little bit of white in him too, so there's no need for him to be "Black" about everything. Ultimately, that means I wouldn't think him as someone with a racial bias.

One is to live life as if nothing is a miracle.

The other way is to live life as though everything is a miracle.
ApostleOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 18:46   Link #817
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
It's not fictitious, but it's not relevant for anything other than the general shape of your body. You shouldn't need to fill that in in an official form.
In a place where there is affirmative action, you would need to fill it out in an official form.
Old 2008-05-20, 18:50   Link #818
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
In a place where there is affirmative action, you would need to fill it out in an official form.
...which is completely ridiculous. Can you tell me why does that matter at all?

At least I'm sure you don't need to do that in my country. And there's lots of different people with differently colored skin here.

Old 2008-05-20, 18:54   Link #819
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
...which is completely ridiculous. Can you tell me why does that matter at all?
Because most of the affirmative action in the United States is based on racial/ethnic groups.

Quote:
At least I'm sure you don't need to do that in my country. And there's lots of different people with differently colored skin here.
Perhaps because there is no such thing as special rights for minority ethnic groups.
Old 2008-05-20, 18:55   Link #820
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Which is why I think it's bullshit. There shouldn't be such a thing. It's the same with the minimum quota of "minorities" in a classroom. It's racism concealed in the veil of "tolerance".

Tags
debate, elections, politics, united_states