Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2009-10-14, 00:08   Link #1961
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogitsune View Post
Still, they wouldn't even consider locking him up for life, not to mention giving him a death sentence.
I suppose. Depends on how his therapy goes and how mentally stable they deem him. Also depends on the laws of...well, whichever judicial system tried him.

Quote:
But they often come together.
But not always, and they are certainly aren't co-dependent on one another. Would you care to list some examples maybe?

Quote:
Rolo is damaged. Sometimes, people need a reason to change better than "it's moral!". Personal epiphanies can still come after that.
Well, I still think having a personal epiphany would be a lot better than putting a buffer around him, which is what Lelouch did in the first place and look how that turned out.

Quote:
Ah, but you said your opinion of Rolo changed when he killed Shirley.
And what's your point? Actually I have a very interesting history with Rolo since I really didn't even know him that well when I found out he was the one that killed Shirley. I just had a basic idea of his character, but I didn't really know him, so I got off to a pretty bad start with his character.

Quote:
Wanting someone to die is always revenge to me, not justice, except if that death would prevent suffering.
It's just a TV show. From a story-telling perspective the audience is not going to pleased if someone callously murders and innocent bystander and then no form of retribution is made.
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 02:40   Link #1962
Knightrunner

I can't really find anything to like about this character except for his geass and how he saves lelouch. Can anybody tell me any good characteristics he has for a challenge?
Knightrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 06:44   Link #1963
Paladinoras
Pancakes

Devotion? That is technically one of his only redeeming traits.

Credit to Godlike1889 for the sig!
Paladinoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 09:11   Link #1964
Nogitsune
Shameless Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyman9 View Post
I suppose. Depends on how his therapy goes and how mentally stable they deem him. Also depends on the laws of...well, whichever judicial system tried him.
Well, I'm pretty sure that in real life, giving Rolo a death sentence would cause outrage all over the world.
Even a life sentence is pretty much out of question, considering his age and mental state. Therapy is the only real option I see.

Quote:
But not always, and they are certainly aren't co-dependent on one another. Would you care to list some examples maybe?
Have you never experienced that someone was being an ass, and changed after someone imporant to them told them so? In Rolo's case, it's one level higher still, since for him, killing is as natural as brushing his teeth. He needs someone to tell him that it really shouldn't be that way, and not only because it makes Rolo a "tool". Considering Rolo's past, the message would need some time to sink in, but you still have to give him this time, and Lelouch could do that by making him understand that killing his loved ones is like stabbing a knife into his heart and twisting it around. Rolo has to truly understand what it would have meant if he had killed Nunally, and as we saw, that's incredibly hard for him. But episode 19 showed that his brother's life and happiness are more important to him than having him for himself, and this is a tool that can be used to make him get the concept of "right" and "wrong".
However, you can't expect a child to whom killing has been the most natural thing in the world all his life to suddenly realize The Truth. Rolo needed love and security first - everything else could only come after that (and God, I sound sappy).

Quote:
Well, I still think having a personal epiphany would be a lot better than putting a buffer around him, which is what Lelouch did in the first place and look how that turned out.
Lelouch saw Rolo as a tool, and as a gun rather than a ticking bomb because it was more convenient that way. Had he not been so blinded by his hatred, he could have seen that Rolo was highly unstable, and needed to be handled very carefully.

Quote:
And what's your point?
My point was that if you expect a character to commit deeds you don't agree with, you usually don't suddenly hate them for doing what you expected them to do. Either you like them, or you don't.

Quote:
Actually I have a very interesting history with Rolo since I really didn't even know him that well when I found out he was the one that killed Shirley. I just had a basic idea of his character, but I didn't really know him, so I got off to a pretty bad start with his character.
Understandable, I guess. xD

Quote:
It's just a TV show. From a story-telling perspective the audience is not going to pleased if someone callously murders and innocent bystander and then no form of retribution is made.
Even in a TV show, there is justice, and then there is revenge.
I'm not saying it is "evil" to want a character who committed a horrible wrong to die a horrible death. Just that it's not "just".
Old 2009-10-14, 19:16   Link #1965
Knightrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladinoras View Post
Devotion? That is technically one of his only redeeming traits.
Never really though about that. I guess that is the only good trait he has.
Old 2009-10-15, 01:40   Link #1966
Paladinoras
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrunner View Post
Never really though about that. I guess that is the only good trait he has.
Key word being technically. He will be devoted to people who loves him, or cares for him. To people who just want to work him to death, he will probably kill them before serving them.

Old 2009-10-15, 01:47   Link #1967
Nobodyman9
Banned

Well, technically devotion itself isn't really a redeeming trait. It depends on what you're devoted to.
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-17, 14:25   Link #1968
Knightrunner

Who has an idea how rolo's geass relates to him?

My theory:

Mine is that since time never really moves forward for him and he does the same things "kill" people, mission after mission. That is why he can freeze people with his geass.

I'll try to cover every signficant character's geass or what would have been geass.
Old 2009-10-18, 00:15   Link #1969
Paladinoras
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrunner View Post
Who has an idea how rolo's geass relates to him?

My theory:

Mine is that since time never really moves forward for him and he does the same things "kill" people, mission after mission. That is why he can freeze people with his geass.

I'll try to cover every signficant character's geass or what would have been geass.
It doesn't work that way, his Geass is concerned about what he wished for.

As Rolo's past was never truly covered by Code Geass, we can never know what made him obtain that Geass.

Old 2009-10-18, 00:30   Link #1970
Knightrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladinoras View Post
It doesn't work that way, his Geass is concerned about what he wished for.

As Rolo's past was never truly covered by Code Geass, we can never know what made him obtain that Geass.
I think certain people have different affinities when it comes to geass. Lelouches family geass tend to wipe out the minds of there targets. So I'm basing the geass through there auro, past, wish, mindset, or a combination of everything.

We know that most likely VV gave him his geass because he is the one pulling the strings. We know that he kills people for a living and he doesn't have a real name. He doesn't really have any good parent role model, but it looks like the kids in the geass cult looks up to him.

I'm sure some people with certain geass doesn't wish for certain powers. Do you think Mao's wish was to read minds?
Old 2009-10-18, 00:36   Link #1971
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Its not so much that there's certain affinities. It comes from a wish/desire on the contractee's part. They're not desiring the power per se: they have a wish, and the Geass they are granted is a power to fulfill their wish.

Its like Lelouch told Suzaku in the dub. Geass is like a wish. "Its a request for someone to give you the power to do something you can't on your own."
Old 2009-10-18, 00:56   Link #1972
Knightrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Its not so much that there's certain affinities. It comes from a wish/desire on the contractee's part. They're not desiring the power per se: they have a wish, and the Geass they are granted is a power to fulfill their wish.

Its like Lelouch told Suzaku in the dub. Geass is like a wish. "Its a request for someone to give you the power to do something you can't on your own."
Depending how a person uses power couldn't they reach there dream.
Old 2009-10-18, 00:57   Link #1973
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I don't quite understand what you mean there.
Old 2009-10-18, 01:09   Link #1974
Knightrunner

With Lelouch's geass you can reach many dreams. You can conquer lands, create world peace, get a decent job, etc.
With mind reading geass you can manipulate people into getting what you want or maybe please them.

Depending how a person uses their geass they can reach there dream or at least there goal.
Old 2009-10-18, 01:11   Link #1975
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Well, yeah. That's... kinda the point I was raising. Why are you reiterating it?
Old 2009-10-18, 01:21   Link #1976
Knightrunner

Quote:
Well, yeah. That's... kinda the point I was raising. Why are you reiterating it?
I think there should be more of a reason why a certain person recieves a certain geass. If we use the arguement because it helps complete certain wishes then anybody can get whatever power (geass) they want. Because any powers of geass can reach a person's goal.
Old 2009-10-18, 01:24   Link #1977
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Not really. I don't see how if Lelouch had, say, Bismarck's Geass, would help him accomplish his goals, especially with his mediocre piloting skills. His having Rolo's Geass sure as hell wouldn't help him. Having Charles' would help, in a fashion, but it'd require a lot more work on his part to utilize it in the same way as his own Geass.

The Geass he was given was tailored specifically to help fulfill his particular wish.
Old 2009-10-18, 01:37   Link #1978
Knightrunner

Quote:
Not really. I don't see how if Lelouch had, say, Bismarck's Geass, would help him accomplish his goals, especially with his mediocre piloting skills. His having Rolo's Geass sure as hell wouldn't help him. Having Charles' would help, in a fashion, but it'd require a lot more work on his part to utilize it in the same way as his own Geass.

The Geass he was given was tailored specifically to help fulfill his particular wish.
Doesn't hurt to have any of those geasses though, but I can see what you mean. Those geasses would help anybody that is physically capable though which unfortunally lelouch is not.

With Bismarck you can win almost any melee fight because knowing a person move a second or two ahead of time will allow you to doudge and counter attack. With rolo's you can use it to for escape if you don't want to kill somebody.

I'll try to think of a motive for a character to figure out what kind of geass they might possibly possess.
Old 2009-10-18, 01:43   Link #1979
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Not necessarily for Bismarck's Geass. We saw that fallacy during Bismarck's battle against Suzaku's Lancelot Albion. Sure, he could see Suzaku's trajectory, but Suzaku showed him that even with that, he could still win. And win he did.
Old 2009-10-18, 01:51   Link #1980
Knightrunner

Quote:
Not necessarily for Bismarck's Geass. We saw that fallacy during Bismarck's battle against Suzaku's Lancelot Albion. Sure, he could see Suzaku's trajectory, but Suzaku showed him that even with that, he could still win. And win he did.
Bismarck still saw that move coming but apperently suzaku's live on geass kicked in and helped cut Bismarck knightmare in half. Bismarck knightmare's incredibly slower than suzaku's Lancelot Albion but Bismarck countered all the way through. Suzaku's tech. advantage and live on geass gave suzaku the edge to beat Bismarck.

In an actually hand to hand combat humans speed and strength isn't so much different compared to machines. Bismarck proves this by beating Suzaku in a sword battle.

Suzaku,Kallen and Rolo are special exceptions to this rule