AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2019-01-10, 22:17   Link #21
Ichinotachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Yeah he's going to end up marrying someone in his harem. Quite a shocking revelation they shocked us with there .
Looks like is too much to ask for a different type of ending or story
Ichinotachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-10, 22:50   Link #22
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep1:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-10, 23:37   Link #23
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

I can already tell the personality of each by looks alone, then I heard their voices in the OP and then I was sure, I was wrong about the second sister though, the one that drugged him

I might give it another episode.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-10, 23:46   Link #24
Frontier

I thoughts this was pretty fun and cute, and I'm a sucker for romantic comedies .

It's not every romantic comedy/harem anime that makes it so explicit that there's going to be an endgame by the end of it. It'll be interesting to see how they'll hint at the bride's identity and the wedding moving forward, and if the series will conclusively name her identity (especially with the manga still running, as I recall) .

One of the cool things about having your main female cast singing the opening is having their characters get to sing along with the lyrics more then in your average anime opening .

Itsuki kind of seems set as the "main heroine" of the sisters from being the first one we're really introduced to (not counting the future bride) to her prominence in the opening. I guess it's also sensible that, of all the girls, she probably acts the most like one would expect of a high-class rich girl. It'll be interesting to see how the screentime between the sisters is balanced and how their relationship with Futaro will grow individually .

I imagine the main appeal of this series will be in Futaro's interactions with the sisters as he tries to manage all of them and their specific issues, as well as potentially the sisters own interactions with each other. I can only imagine what things will be like when they all inevitably fall for him, which will probably make his job even harder .

Dang, they actually drugged him. Rich people don't play around .

So I wonder where the Uesugi mother is? I'm guessing the kids got their dark hair from her. Did she die or did she leave the family because of the dad's debt? The dad seemed to think of himself as a bit of a player, so that might have been a factor too .

I wonder if all the girls are kind of dumb or if they all have specific issues that led to them all failing. Ichika obviously doesn't seem to care that much and it seems like Nino would rather spend more time on her phone then actually doing school work. Yotsuba seems genuinely enthusiastic about studying, but that seems to be her default state, and I can imagine she's probably a bit of an airhead otherwise. So the only question marks are Itsuki and Miku...
Old 2019-01-11, 02:01   Link #25
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Okay, I'm going to get my biases out of the way for the non-manga folk. IMO Itsuki > Yotsuba > Miku > Ichika >>>>>> Nino. Pilot episode didn't change that for me... that drugging always leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

That said, Nino sounds fine to me. KugiRie tsundere grates my ears, and Taketatsu did a good job with the lower tones. Better than Miku at least who is a very dry Rei-clone voice, so hopefully she changes her voice soon.

Inorin as Itsuki exceeds my expectations. I actually thought she'd start using her higher pitched voiced, but she kept it mostly low so two very high thumbs up, and she really expresses the 'seriousness' of Itsuki's character. My Ayaneru/HanaKana bias may have me liking their respective character voices more in the long run, but going by pilot alone, the one in the lead is Inorin. Despite HanaKana auditioning for all the roles and Ayaneru basically given the choice of any of the quints, Inorin fully deserves Itsuki IMO.

Overall, while the visuals has NOTHING on the manga, the voices makes up for it. Do I wish it was animated as well as last cour's Irozuku? Of course, but I may just be grateful this isn't anything like My Sister My Lover. If anything, two thumbs up for them spending the extra mulah for 5 A-tier VAs (a lot of people don't like Matsuoka but I think he does Fuu well enough), as the other romcom mangas I follow that's getting an adaptation uses the newer VAs.

As for them spoiling the bride, I really don't think so. If they wanted to spoil it, they would have had one of the quints voice the bride. But nope, they just coloured her hair a darker shade of red. Sure Itsuki's red hair is the closest, but I wouldn't say the similarity is evidence she is a bride, despite Itsuki being my favoured quint.

That said, they put the OP at an awkward spot. Them playing it immediately after Fuu first meets Itsuki gives that moment an extra oomph it wasn't supposed to have. So yeah, I can see how anime viewers can get the impression that it is over before it even started just through OP placement. Either have the OP play after the bride is introduced but before the flashback to high school, or don't play it in the first episode at all.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-11, 03:36   Link #26
WingedAccelerator

Not just the OP placement was awkward, but the directing in general.

Main girl Itsuki appears, then comes the OP. The girls got represented by personal symbols in the background, and who else, but Itsuki got nothing just herself before it transitions into a group shot. I also don't understand why are there direct references to future events, and why are there just hints. It's like they couldn't make up their mind and went with whatever to fill the OP.

It took 7 minutes just to reach Ichika...
Honestly, it really should have been 5 at max. So instead of finishing Chapter 2, they told the viewers that they almost failed in their previous school, which was supposed to be a kind of twist after Fuutarou tests them to see how many of them needs tutoring. Now that we already know, what's the point of the test scene anymore? Idiot director. And I also don't get how putting the bride scene at the end should make more sense then leaving it in its original place, after the lift meeting scene.

Oh, and by actually animating Fuutarou dropping his test, one of the popular Yotsuba theories took a huge hit. Feelz.
WingedAccelerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-11, 06:04   Link #27
moridin84
Custom User Title

It doesn't really matter if they give emphasis on one girl over another.

If it is that girl then it's foreshadowing, if it's a different girl then it's misdirection
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-11, 06:30   Link #28
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

This was fine, but the most interesting thing about it to me was that it was produced at Tezuka and directed by the guy who did Testuwon Atom and Black Jack. How the hell did that marriage get set up?
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-11, 09:11   Link #29
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

I am NOT used to this Inori voice at all.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-11, 09:13   Link #30
RapidPotential
Spinning round and round~

A great first episode in terms of how it was pretty much adapted as the manga flowed, but in terms of content overall, won't be everyone's cup of tea.

I'd say the character interactions look good so far, and will be one of the main reasons I'll stay with this to the end.
Old 2019-01-11, 20:41   Link #31
Dextro
He Without a Title

I also feel like the anime just flat out spoiled who the bride is at the start. I mean are they really going to end up saying that even on her weeding day one of the 5 would change her hair color? Really?

Oh well, enjoyable episode anyway and I haven't seen an harem show in ages so I feel like this might be refreshing.
Old 2019-01-11, 21:02   Link #32
Ichinotachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
I also feel like the anime just flat out spoiled who the bride is at the start. I mean are they really going to end up saying that even on her weeding day one of the 5 would change her hair color? Really?
That's how you can see what's going to happen for 12 episodes, arc after arc baiting the fans of each girl just to end up in the same spot with the same girl, just like the standard harem series.
Ichinotachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-11, 23:42   Link #33
Chosen_Hero

It was good first episode, definitely faithful to the manga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I thoughts this was pretty fun and cute, and I'm a sucker for romantic comedies .

It's not every romantic comedy/harem anime that makes it so explicit that there's going to be an endgame by the end of it. It'll be interesting to see how they'll hint at the bride's identity and the wedding moving forward, and if the series will conclusively name her identity (especially with the manga still running, as I recall) .

One of the cool things about having your main female cast singing the opening is having their characters get to sing along with the lyrics more then in your average anime opening .

Itsuki kind of seems set as the "main heroine" of the sisters from being the first one we're really introduced to (not counting the future bride) to her prominence in the opening. I guess it's also sensible that, of all the girls, she probably acts the most like one would expect of a high-class rich girl. It'll be interesting to see how the screentime between the sisters is balanced and how their relationship with Futaro will grow individually .

I imagine the main appeal of this series will be in Futaro's interactions with the sisters as he tries to manage all of them and their specific issues, as well as potentially the sisters own interactions with each other. I can only imagine what things will be like when they all inevitably fall for him, which will probably make his job even harder .

Dang, they actually drugged him. Rich people don't play around .

So I wonder where the Uesugi mother is? I'm guessing the kids got their dark hair from her. Did she die or did she leave the family because of the dad's debt? The dad seemed to think of himself as a bit of a player, so that might have been a factor too .

I wonder if all the girls are kind of dumb or if they all have specific issues that led to them all failing. Ichika obviously doesn't seem to care that much and it seems like Nino would rather spend more time on her phone then actually doing school work. Yotsuba seems genuinely enthusiastic about studying, but that seems to be her default state, and I can imagine she's probably a bit of an airhead otherwise. So the only question marks are Itsuki and Miku...
Only one of them drugged him.
Old 2019-01-12, 00:02   Link #34
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedAccelerator View Post
Not just the OP placement was awkward, but the directing in general.

Main girl Itsuki appears, then comes the OP. The girls got represented by personal symbols in the background, and who else, but Itsuki got nothing just herself before it transitions into a group shot.
I'm an Itsuki believer, but I'm not sure why this is a pro for Itsuki? Unlike the other girls, she actually wears her 'symbol' on her hair, so I understand why they decided to skip it in the background.

Not sure why Nino is a rabbit motif though. When I think of rabbit I think of Yotsuba with her bunny-ear like head accessory. Nino in my mind is a butterfly motif because of her ribbon pattern, but eh, maybe I've been reading 5toubun wrong.

Quote:
It took 7 minutes just to reach Ichika...
To be fair, the manga went by 21 pages until Ichika's first spoken line, and the first chapter had 41 pages. Add on the 34 pages we went through chapter 2, and 21/75 = 28%, and 7 minutes out of 24 is about 29%. I think you're thinking too much into things. XD

As for the rest, I wouldn't go much into nitpicking why they went a certain way with the anime instead of following the manga to a tee. Fitting the manga with its different sized chapters into 24 minute run times is pretty hard. Just like Negi wanted to have the bride scene leaving a lasting impact to the reader by having it at the end of his pilot chapter, I can see why they wanted the anime to have the bride scene be at the end of the pilot episode for maximum impact for the anime viewer.

Now you have a conundrum... you want bride scene to be the first AND last things the anime viewer sees in the pilot episode, but there is no way in hell you can stretch chapter 1 into 24 minutes, and you can't fit in the entirety of chapter 2 either even if the ED was already cut. You STILL have to show each quint before the end-of-episode bride scene because if you cut into the bride scene after Fuu tells Itsuki to get the rest of the gang tomorrow, you are indirectly implying that Itsuki is the bride. With all these restrictions, I find it acceptable to end the flashback at the 'gather them tomorrow' scene and flashforward to the bride.

Of course, the smarter move would have been to removed the OP altogether since not only it avoids the OP awkwardness (with it giving an implication the manga never had), but you make time to complete chapter 2 by the end of the episode. Only problem with this is that it means you're animating even more in the 1st episode, and you have only a limited budget. It's a tough job animating an adaptation, and I feel those who are familiar with the source material are just too nitpicky about things not following the source cut-for-cut. Now I'm someone on this side of the fence being familiar with the source (I think I reread it 22 times over by now? XD), and I try to avoid in getting into the same pitfall and just enjoy the anime AS IT STANDS ALONE. OP placement was my one thing I didn't like about the anime (and even as simple as moving it would have easily fixed the problem), but otherwise I think the anime does a fine job.

Quote:
Oh, and by actually animating Fuutarou dropping his test, one of the popular Yotsuba theories took a huge hit. Feelz.
Why do you think I jumped teh ship before the anime aired? I've had enough of Yotsuba being sidelined (still best girl in my heart though), and I'm not surprised they do it in the anime as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
Um, correct me if I am wrong, but in the op, isn't Itsuki supposed to address Fuutarou as "uesugi-kun?"
Didn't Inorin say "Uesugi-kun, okite?"

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-12, 05:14   Link #35
AntonKutovoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
This was fine, but the most interesting thing about it to me was that it was produced at Tezuka and directed by the guy who did Testuwon Atom and Black Jack. How the hell did that marriage get set up?
Well, not all of their productions are Tezuka-properties related. There are game adaptations (Sengoku Musou) and manga adaptations (Dagashi Kashi S2 and now this) as well.
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-12, 05:24   Link #36
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

No, I get that... But thematically this one seems to be another level of disparity. Just seems like a very odd chain of events.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-12, 05:27   Link #37
WingedAccelerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Not sure why Nino is a rabbit motif though. When I think of rabbit I think of Yotsuba with her bunny-ear like head accessory. Nino in my mind is a butterfly motif because of her ribbon pattern, but eh, maybe I've been reading 5toubun wrong.
She wore a rabbit yukata on the fireworks festival, and I think one of the volume character biographies also mention her favorite animal being rabbit.

BTW, in one of the reviews on ANN, instead of Uesugi or Fuutarou, the reviewer calls him Itsuki on every occassion.

Last edited by WingedAccelerator; 2019-01-12 at 09:33.
WingedAccelerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-12, 16:33   Link #38
Calca
Expressionless

There's no way they'd allow the anime to spoil the ending of the manga. Don't look too much into the color of the brides hair
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-12, 18:50   Link #39
4th Dimension

I liked this first episode. Especially since MC actually seems to have some sort of personality rather than being a blank slate ready for the viewer to insert himself in him.

Join Midchilda Discord server - a Nanoha community server
4th Dimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-12, 22:22   Link #40
Top Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Dimension View Post
I liked this first episode. Especially since MC actually seems to have some sort of personality rather than being a blank slate ready for the viewer to insert himself in him.
Agreed. He also isn't brain dead, nor a passive idiot allowing circumstances to dictate what happens to him.