AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 120 51.06%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 60 25.53%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 24 10.21%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 5.53%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 3.83%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.43%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.43%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.43%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.43%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 2.13%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-06-05, 17:08   Link #141
Spiritual

Ah, not the way I see marriage, but does it seem that way? I figure you marry someone you at least appreciate in a loving way.

Nice perspectives from both kitten and klash on it. Helps me at least understand the episode a bit more.
Old 2010-06-05, 17:10   Link #142
kitten320

Some marry because of financial status.
Old 2010-06-05, 17:12   Link #143
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritual View Post
Ah, not the way I see marriage, but does it seem that way? I figure you marry someone you at least appreciate in a loving way.
As explained by Kitten before, Yui definitely wanted to be "married" with anyone, just as she has put weight on the "fact of being married". But even so, that doesn't mean she would be fully satisfied.
Even if she didn't really bring it out in the good way, she obviously expected Yuzuru to answer this way, adding a subtle detail over her "despair" about her own life.
It is very unlikely that she would have acted like she did to Hinata if any other SSS guy were to confess like this.
Old 2010-06-05, 17:29   Link #144
Spiritual

I'm feeling Herp Derp right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
As explained by Kitten before, Yui definitely wanted to be "married" with anyone, just as she has put weight on the "fact of being married". But even so, that doesn't mean she would be fully satisfied.
Even if she didn't really bring it out in the good way, she obviously expected Yuzuru to answer this way, adding a subtle detail over her "despair" about her own life.
It is very unlikely that she would have acted like she did to Hinata if any other SSS guy were to confess like this.
Ah true. Kinda feel dumb having this explained to me, but it makes more sense. >.<
Old 2010-06-05, 17:43   Link #145
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
Some people are beginning to worry that by the end of episode 13, an announcement of season 2 will come and further complicate the already 'tangled' flow of Angel Beats!
Of course. In season two we shall discover that the souls of those who pass from that world are being stolen by evil forces for some unknown purpose and the surviving SSS members must band together to rescue everyone who's disappeared before they're killed permanently.

...What?
Old 2010-06-05, 17:59   Link #146
Bri

Shame this episode was so hurt by the poor timing/editing. The first half of the episode wasted too much time with attempts at comedy. It added too little to Yui's back story, killing the momentum. At the end the makers ended up with too little time to make the dramatic scene work. The music fails to add to the impact as well, it's just not quite there. I had hoped that episode 9 was the turn around. But episode 10 just felt back in to making the same mistakes. Making it hard for me to get any emotional involvement. Wonder if Meada or the director is to blame for this. Which I feel is a shame as I really like AB's characters, concept and the gorgeous animation.

Spoiler for Speculation on plot twists:
Old 2010-06-05, 18:20   Link #147
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I was thinking I'd like Yusa to become the next vocalist, but I'll forget about it now.
How about you don't touch my Yusa -_- Anyway sad that GDM lost another vocalist.

IRIE AND SEKINE SPOKE omgomg I can't believe that this is happening.

Also Yui is super adorable with a ponytail.
Old 2010-06-05, 18:29   Link #148
MaxMaximilianMaximus

Send a message via Yahoo to MaxMaximilianMaximus
@Bri
The more I watch this show, the more I think the same.
Old 2010-06-05, 18:54   Link #149
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
Shame this episode was so hurt by the poor timing/editing. The first half of the episode wasted too much time with attempts at comedy. It added too little to Yui's back story, killing the momentum. At the end the makers ended up with too little time to make the dramatic scene work. The music fails to add to the impact as well, it's just not quite there. I had hoped that episode 9 was the turn around. But episode 10 just felt back in to making the same mistakes. Making it hard for me to get any emotional involvement. Wonder if Meada or the director is to blame for this. Which I feel is a shame as I really like AB's characters, concept and the gorgeous animation.
I know that it's pointless to argue when it comes to personal preferences, but if anything, it's definitely the music that adds to the impact. I already talked about it before so I'm not going to go into details again how Maeda is a genius in that department, but yeah, just recall the BGM played during the scene when Otonashi signed the insurance card in last episode. That's his style of music. It's not epic epic as in sounding grand, but light music with highly suppressed feeling. If his style of music doesn't click with you, then it's just too bad, because I have yet to run into another composer who does better than him when it comes to that style.

As for speculation about the characters are still alive, I think I'm starting to get tired too about it. I won't say I will bet my life on it, but there had been multiple assertions from different characters that they were dead, plus implication of the characters looking forward to their next lives. Can they be all a trap? I guess it's possible, but what's going to happen after that? They wake up and all problems go away magically, or they wake up, feeling fulfilled, then die for real? Either way doesn't sound like the theme of this show to me.
Old 2010-06-05, 18:56   Link #150
Qikz

Something inside makes me really want this to not be the final end to the characters. I finally found my favourite character in this and what they just make her dissapear? and I really don't agree with Otonashi's thinking. I really don't see what gives him the right to make people dissapear when she was clearly happy in that world along with alot of others. I really hope this doesn't end up just being about Otonashi making people dissapear, unlike other key works I didn't actually find that episode all that emotional and it felt like they were making her dissapear for the point of progressing the story to get it over and done with, or as much as they can in one season. I just feel like they finally establish a character then just remove them for the sake of it.

The ending was a bit crazy with Ooyama though.
Old 2010-06-05, 19:02   Link #151
Antiscian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
Shame this episode was so hurt by the poor timing/editing. The first half of the episode wasted too much time with attempts at comedy. It added too little to Yui's back story, killing the momentum. At the end the makers ended up with too little time to make the dramatic scene work.
I think what people here are missing is the fact that the comedy and light antics are actually very important parts to Yui's character.
As I said on the last page, Yui is all about having all the fun she can every day and enjoying her 'life'. Even though to us they might have seemed like comedy thrown in just because they wanted it to be funny, to Yui they're all irreplacable moments that she could never have otherwise experienced.
This, I think, is more important than any sort of scene telling us how little Yui could do when stuck in bed. I'm pretty sure we got that point already.

The sudden shift to the dramatic gives an interesting effect as well. It's almost as if it's saying 'Okay, so Yui's had all the fun she wanted... so now what?', and of course the answer the show gives is is a theme Maeda constantly brings out: Yui's final and most important happiness was someone who really cared about her. I don't think it would have worked as well if they spent the whole episode on that fact, since this way gives the sense it's something Yui didn't think she wanted as much as she really did.
The romance is a bit sudden, yes, but I explained my thoughts on that in my previous post.
Old 2010-06-05, 19:07   Link #152
Raiza Sunozaki

Well, I liked this episode for the development it gave Yui. She changed from the stereotypical hyperactive girl that annoyed me as much as amused me, to a character that I could understand. Personally, I'm a fan of the show's stupid humour, so the first half of the episode didn't bother me at all.
But the second best part of this episode was definitely the coversation Yuzuru managed to have with TK. How he managed to sift through TK's weird way of speaking is beyond me though.
But regardless of how cheesy it was, the best part of the episode for me was Hinata's confession. Dammit, the guy's such a male.
Still, this completely kills my theory of the entire SSS "graduating" from the afterlife at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guuchan View Post
As for speculation about the characters are still alive, I think I'm starting to get tired too about it. I won't say I will bet my life on it, but there had been multiple assertions from different characters that they were dead, plus implication of the characters looking forward to their next lives. Can they be all a trap? I guess it's possible, but what's going to happen after that? They wake up and all problems go away magically, or they wake up, feeling fulfilled, then die for real? Either way doesn't sound like the theme of this show to me.
Well, I for one think they're dead. Sure, Maeda likes the whole concept of a second chance at life, but this show feels more like accepting your past and looking towards the future. That and the whole concept of reincarnation has been stressed from the very start.
Old 2010-06-05, 19:23   Link #153
Crontica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
Wow. That after-credits scene was unexpected. Comedic first half (and TK got lots of lines this time), a little melancholic near the end. Great episode overall.

Summary:
As most had probably expected from the preview, this was a Yui episode. And, she disappears at the end.

Anyway, it starts with Otonashi conspiring with Kanade on their flawless () plan to fulfill Yui's regret. It doesn't work out at first, but eventually, they were able to lure Yui into exposing her past to Otonashi (Kanade goes stealth the whole time). Also, looking kinda Zerg there with Hand Sonic: Version 5, Kanade.

It turns out that she was paralyzed from birth. She spent her whole life lying in bed watching pro wrestling, concerts and sports. This means that the best gift she ever had was a working body in the afterlife, which explains her excessive hyperactivity. In light of this, Otonashi decides to let her experience the quirks of having a fully functional body. They do some German suplexes, play soccer, and play baseball, among other things. In the end however, this much was still not enough to fully satisfy her, and she is still not able to disappear. After getting tired of practicing baseball, she decides to call it quits, and comments on how God is very unfair, on how all happiness was taken from her (not sure about the rest).

Then suddenly, Hinata, of all people, joins in. Now this was rather unexpected. They have a nice chat, and I think it ends up with Hinata asking Yui to marry him (not sure how it ended up there). So, this results in a hug, and this ends up making her disappear. Tis a sad day for Yui fans, but boy, did she have a sweet and beautiful ending (she even had her own special ED).

And then the after-credits scene comes. Ooyama and Noda get attacked by "shadows", which look like invisible apparitions (which cast shadows perhaps). These new enemies aren't to be trifled with, since Noda looks pretty serious here. You don't see that face from him very often.
Best. Summary. Ever.
Cookies to you my kind sir.

It looks like Hinata has figured out Otonashi's plan unexpectedly sharp wit. the tides a'turnin. Shadow killer on the loose.
Old 2010-06-05, 19:26   Link #154
skyy54264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qikz View Post
I really don't agree with Otonashi's thinking. I really don't see what gives him the right to make people dissapear when she was clearly happy in that world along with alot of others.
The thing is, no one is the afterlife is truly happy. They're all clinging onto a burden that they cannot let go. Letting go and moving on is an important life lesson that many anime do try and tell (sola, ef - a tale of melodies, Digimon Adventures 02, and 5 centimeters per second and Rozen Maiden to list off the top of my head). To the audience, it's a bad thing that we're losing characters but to the characters, it's a good for them to come to acceptance with their lives.
Old 2010-06-05, 19:52   Link #155
klare

Hinata's speech is touching, i thought he will be the first on the "help list" since Otonashi knew about his regrets

so far all my predictions have failed, but still want to predict next one to disappear is the spec+muscular guy

R.I.P Yui
Old 2010-06-05, 20:07   Link #156
Qikz

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
Hinata's speech is touching, i thought he will be the first on the "help list" since Otonashi knew about his regrets

so far all my predictions have failed, but still want to predict next one to disappear is the spec+muscular guy

R.I.P Yui
Seemingly it looks to me like the next one will be the short guy, since Yui got about a slight bit more screen time than he did and we know nothing about his character, the guy with Blackish hair has been in it more.
Old 2010-06-05, 20:09   Link #157
Raiza Sunozaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyy54264 View Post
The thing is, no one is the afterlife is truly happy. They're all clinging onto a burden that they cannot let go. Letting go and moving on is an important life lesson that many anime do try and tell (sola, ef - a tale of melodies, Digimon Adventures 02, and 5 centimeters per second and Rozen Maiden to list off the top of my head). To the audience, it's a bad thing that we're losing characters but to the characters, it's a good for them to come to acceptance with their lives.
Agreed. Which is why I approve of the Otonade (well, now it's the Hinatonade) Alliance.
Old 2010-06-05, 20:28   Link #158
Crontica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
I just noticed. If Yui is dead, why is she still worrying about her mother taking care of her? I mean, since if she's dead, her mother shouldn't be taking care of her anymore.

+1 for a comatose Yui.
...And Marcus just landed a bomb with the fewest lines possible, i can't fight against this solid argument.
Old 2010-06-05, 20:30   Link #159
johnyvez15

2nd best episode ever watched(making otonashis' episode to be first)
*Yui
Happy that she accepted all her life's unfairness situation and let her go R.I.P.
Kind of sad that i/we wont be able to see her on later episodes(11..) ; possibly no more concerts...

well, can't wait for next episodes! :3
Old 2010-06-05, 20:32   Link #160
Qikz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crontica View Post
...And Marcus just landed a bomb with the fewest lines possible, i can't fight against this solid argument.
To add on to that, how can she die from being paralyzed? All we found out was she was paralyzed, you can't die from that.
Closed Thread