AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-11-05, 20:34   Link #2681
LionsMane
Courageous Guardian

Send a message via AIM to LionsMane
You know, if they decided to use "Lodoreamon" instead of "Rodoreamon" I probably wouldn't be all that bothered. Though I do prefer Rodoreamon because you can translate "rodore" to "rose" and I always saw that as a nice touch to her name.

To me it just feels like Rodoreamon might be one of those names that might get changed beyond the phonetics of the L/R though.
Old 2007-11-05, 20:52   Link #2682
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionsMane View Post
To me it just feels like Rodoreamon might be one of those names that might get changed beyond the phonetics of the L/R though.
The only other thing I could see would be 'Lord Reamon,' but since she's female, that'd be stupid.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-13, 00:59   Link #2683
darthfury78

I have question to ask: Since Floe & Vyura have claimed to have received the "MALE" gender when they responded to Aeru's question, who would you believe is lying about their selection, provided that the Floef & Vyuraf scene in Episode 26 never took place?
darthfury78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-14, 20:08   Link #2684
LionsMane
Courageous Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthfury78 View Post
I have question to ask: Since Floe & Vyura have claimed to have received the "MALE" gender when they responded to Aeru's question, who would you believe is lying about their selection, provided that the Floef & Vyuraf scene in Episode 26 never took place?
Maybe I'm missing your point and if I am, I hope you elaborate.

I honestly don't think I would assume either of them to be lying. Vyura I always assumed would be male. And when Aaeru called Floe out on choosing male she seemed pretty serious. I assumed that the whole point of having Floe choose to be male was because the directors wanted to help emphasize the point that growing up was much more internal than external. So by having the one character who most thought was going to stay female choose to be male helped carry that point through.

So I guess I'm curious on what you think as well. Do you think one of them might have been lying if we never got the scenes at the end?
Old 2007-11-14, 22:19   Link #2685
komichi

Okay, one of the thing I found most unique about this series is that all seiyuu's are female, even the males in the anime. Will licensor keep that uniqueness? Or will they totally destroy it with male VA?
komichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-14, 22:34   Link #2686
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by komichi View Post
Okay, one of the thing I found most unique about this series is that all seiyuu's are female, even the males in the anime. Will licensor keep that uniqueness? Or will they totally destroy it with male VA?
Uhhh, the series is going to be released sub-only.
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-14, 22:54   Link #2687
komichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
Uhhh, the series is going to be released sub-only.
=O ..... =DDD

Yey, foreign VA's will never be able to pull it off, and I would hate to see such a good anime being butchered by bad voice acting.
komichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-15, 00:15   Link #2688
darthfury78

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionsMane View Post
Maybe I'm missing your point and if I am, I hope you elaborate.

I honestly don't think I would assume either of them to be lying. Vyura I always assumed would be male. And when Aaeru called Floe out on choosing male she seemed pretty serious. I assumed that the whole point of having Floe choose to be male was because the directors wanted to help emphasize the point that growing up was much more internal than external. So by having the one character who most thought was going to stay female choose to be male helped carry that point through.

So I guess I'm curious on what you think as well. Do you think one of them might have been lying if we never got the scenes at the end?
I was implying that if Vyuraf and Floef scene was never shown. But rather, it was replaced with an alternate ending that Vyura had chosen to become a Female and had a romantic relationship with Floef as a way of throwing the viewers off. It was a hypothetical thought.

But after watching the series, I saw no signs of that beforehand. Neither Vyura nor Floe got a chance to know each other well enough for that to happen until the end of the series, due in part of Vyura's rivalry with the Chor Tempest early on. But if the Vyura had had a crush on Floe, then it was too late for that to occur as both of them became Males. I do believe that Vyura wasn't too fond of Aeru. So she might have told her that she had chosen the Male gender to throw her off.

I'm not talking about facts here. Just alternate thoughts about possible endings. Let's just roll with that to keep the post going. The series is long finished. So we might as well create different ideas about the characters that we have not talked about.

Last edited by darthfury78; 2007-11-15 at 00:29.
Old 2007-11-15, 00:31   Link #2689
LionsMane
Courageous Guardian

Quote:
I was implying that if Vyuraf and Floef scene was never shown. But rather, it was replaced with an alternate ending that Vyura had chosen to become a Female and had a romantic relationship with Floef as a way of throwing the viewers off. It was a hypothetical thought.

But after watching the series, I saw no signs of that beforehand. Neither Vyura nor Floe got a chance to know each other well enough for that to happen until the end of the series due to her rivaly with the group early on. But if the Vyura had had crush on Floe, then it was too late for that to occur as both of them became Males.

I'm not talking about facts here. Just alternate thoughts about possible endings. Let's just roll with that to keep the post going. The series is long finished. So we might as well create different ideas about the characters that we have not talked about.
Right, right. I just wasn't quite sure what you were trying to imply with your question. It's clear now though and I understand what you mean. I just wanted to know what was making such a question stir in your mind. Like you said, Floe and Vyura never had enough to time to know each other so I guess I was puzzled by what you meant.

I understand now though. Thanks for elaborating.
Old 2007-11-17, 23:49   Link #2690
Simon
気持ち悪い

Looks like Volume 2 for R1 is out in Feb - if they stick to a five-DVD quarterly release schedule, it'll be this time next year before the series is complete.

Also, any comments on the quality of V1? My copy's still in the mail...
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-18, 00:37   Link #2691
Futaba-chan
Seigi no Mikata

Send a message via AIM to Futaba-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Futaba-chan
I've heard good things overall about the translation (they used the fansub for reference, apparently), but the licensor forced them to do some awful things to the romanization of some of the names, apparently. Aaeru and Rodoreamon supposedly get fairly badly mangled in ways that are going to make some lines in the second volume not make sense.

But my copy is still in the mail, too.
Futaba-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-18, 00:39   Link #2692
Futaba-chan
Seigi no Mikata

Send a message via AIM to Futaba-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Futaba-chan
Quote:
If anyone's choice at the Spring were to have turned out differently, I would have gone for Paraietta or Kaimu, or both. Seven of them entered together; by the law of averages, three or four of them should have come out male, not just two.
Futaba-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-18, 01:39   Link #2693
LionsMane
Courageous Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futaba-chan View Post
I've heard good things overall about the translation (they used the fansub for reference, apparently), but the licensor forced them to do some awful things to the romanization of some of the names, apparently. Aaeru and Rodoreamon supposedly get fairly badly mangled in ways that are going to make some lines in the second volume not make sense.

But my copy is still in the mail, too.
Yeah, I had a feeling about Rodoreamon's name---it's too bad.

But still, I have heard postive things as well and I look forward to buying the first volume when I get the chance. I'll be happy if the translations are good.
Old 2007-11-18, 04:03   Link #2694
darthfury78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futaba-chan View Post
If anyone's choice at the Spring were to have turned out differently, I would have gone for Paraietta or Kaimu, or both. Seven of them entered together; by the law of averages, three or four of them should have come out male, not just two.

I am not concerned about that. I'm only interested on the alternate outcome of Floe & Vyura. Can we at least talk about that?
Old 2007-11-21, 16:32   Link #2695
dauthik
Guitar Hero

Send a message via AIM to dauthik
Quote:
I am not concerned about that. I'm only interested on the alternate outcome of Floe & Vyura. Can we at least talk about that?
Uh, why can't we talk about alternate choices in general at the spring? It's still pretty interesting. If one person was to be different from the choice they actually made in the series, I would've thought Paraietta, simply because the reason she gave was not really one I could understand. "I simply wanted to be loved"? I didn't really understand why she couldn't receive love as a male, even if there is the factor of power when considering marriage.

But if you want to talk about Vyuraf and Floef, that's okay too. I don't think either of them would've lied. I always assumed Vyura would be male, but Floe as a male made sense to me too. Even if one of them had to be different, I just don't think they would've developed a romantic attraction to each other; as Rodoreamon said in the spring, none of them really knew anything about each other.

At any rate, in that case I would probably go with Floe actually being female. Vyura just exuded maleness all throughout the series. (but what are male qualities and female qualities? questions, questions...)
dauthik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-22, 01:39   Link #2696
darthfury78

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauthik View Post
Uh, why can't we talk about alternate choices in general at the spring? It's still pretty interesting. If one person was to be different from the choice they actually made in the series, I would've thought Paraietta, simply because the reason she gave was not really one I could understand. "I simply wanted to be loved"? I didn't really understand why she couldn't receive love as a male, even if there is the factor of power when considering marriage.

But if you want to talk about Vyuraf and Floef, that's okay too. I don't think either of them would've lied. I always assumed Vyura would be male, but Floe as a male made sense to me too. Even if one of them had to be different, I just don't think they would've developed a romantic attraction to each other; as Rodoreamon said in the spring, none of them really knew anything about each other.

At any rate, in that case I would probably go with Floe actually being female. Vyura just exuded maleness all throughout the series. (but what are male qualities and female qualities? questions, questions...)
I believe that Paraietta wanted to become a MALE because she was in love with Nevil. Since Nevil rejected Paraietta, this allowed her to re-evaluate herself. Thus she went with a gender that suited her real feelings on the inside. In addition, Paraietta no longer had anyone to protect but herself. So all this time, she hid her true indentity within a Male persona that she had maintained for so long until Nevil rejected her. In the end, Paraietta was quite happy as a female. For her, it took a huge weight off her chest as she was free to be herself. Frankly, Paraietta has always wanted to be a Female. But she was willing to give up her own happiness for Nevil.

As for Vyura and Floe, a relationship between them would have been possible if they were introduced early on. This would have ment that Floe would have transfered to Vyura's Team in the beginning. From there, a real friendship would developed quickly since both of them are definately alike in many ways. For example, both of them are not afraid to speak their minds. Vyura likes people who are confident and have a strong personality. So Vyura might have taken a liking to Floe early on.

However, Vyura was transfered to Floe's Team later on. But there wasn't enough time for either of them to develop a real friendship at first because they didn't know each other well enough prior to going to the Springs. If they did beforehand, things might have turned out differently between them. If there was a real opportunity for Floe to have a potential relationship with someone in the series, Vyura would've been her romantic pair.
Old 2007-11-24, 17:59   Link #2697
LaFajita

As to Floef's sexual preference choice, I guess we could take her hairstyle in several scenes as a foreshadowing, i.e., "Floe grows a set". Her dalliance with the young soldier in ep#11 is either an interesting red herring or the creators were just making it up as they went along. This thought slithers through my brain whenever something in this series surprises me, which is one of the charms of this anime. It does leave a lot of unanswered questions hanging out there.

Whatever relationship Vyura and Floe developed must have happened between ep#23 and the end, and it appears me it was mostly formed from the camaraderie of two veterans who had seen some rough times together.
LaFajita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-25, 02:37   Link #2698
aniforever

so i started watching this anime yesterday and managed to finish it about 3 hrs ago. took a dinner break and started to read this forum. I think toward the last couple of pages of post I've read it's mostly written by darthfury so i guess i'll reply with my thoughts.

Quote:
“In my honest opinion, gender selection should be left up to Mother Nature as the child is being conceived. I believe that this is the direct root cause of the problem.”

“The Eri storyline is a good example of a forced approach of this subject matter”

“In real life, when it comes to transgender, a very small number of those who opt for this procedure are women. Men make up the majority of cases when it comes to this issue.”
um i don't think so and it's a main bases to this anime. the choices you have to make and the choices others make for you. first off i think the reason Erii was crying was because she finally realized that she's now an adult and can no longer fly the Sibylla and regret going. I don't know why you were so caught up with the whole Erii/Erif situation since it went by so fast. I mean most of your post reference Eri/f and all the wrongdoings the creator did to her.

Now if you want to take the route of she being force to pick the male gender against her will then doesn't that go against what you said about leaving it up to mother nature? I mean mother nature forces a gender upon you without your say in the matter either so how is that better? at least with the spring people are given a chance at choosing for themselves what they want.

there are more male to female transgender because it's easier for male to become female. the process for female to male is extremely hard which i won't get into details but let's just say one must sacrifice a lot to become male.

Quote:
Here a thought that crossed my mind for a revised Simoun. Rather than to confirm a gender to the girl, the Spings could be used as a ceremony to confirm adulthood of both boys and girls. Or the transition from childhood to adulthood. The people are born either male of female. But at 17 years old, they must go to the Springs to become adults.

This revised concept would be acceptable to viewers and non-viewers alike. And it might get more viewers to watch the series without bring turned off by the transgendered issues that plagued the series. Any comments to my suggestion?
ceremony to confirm adulthood? that would be like watching sweet 16 or quinceanera, how original would that be. the reason i love anime is that each anime is different and aren't afraid of being outside the box. plus how do you define being an adult really? so once they hit the spring they start growing hair in different places or become sexually arouse? but wait that normally happens before people are even 17 so what is left to do at the Spring?

You keep saying how Simoun is plagued with transgendered issues and that's why they aren't as popular, but from what i see this anime is pretty popular. It might not be as popular as Bleach or Naruto but it's still unique and attracts a lot of people. I believe there are different variables that lie within the reason Simoun isn't extremely popular but you shouldn't put all the blame on the transgender aspect of the anime.

I seriously didn't start watching this anime until now was b/c 1 i was busy with school and work (note the thanksgiving holiday so i finally got to watch it) and 2 because the names were too hard to remember and even pronounce. I mean Naruto, Sakura, Sasuke vs. Aaeru, Neviril, Paraietta. That's what distracted me from watching it since the beginning but i'm really glad i finally got to watch this great anime. seriously i have never seen an anime with so much girl x girl kissing before. if i weren't living at home i'll buy the whole serie just for collection purposes.
aniforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-25, 03:08   Link #2699
aniforever

Quote:
I believe that Paraietta wanted to become a MALE because she was in love with Nevil. Since Nevil rejected Paraietta, this allowed her to re-evaluate herself. Thus she went with a gender that suited her real feelings on the inside. In addition, Paraietta no longer had anyone to protect but herself. So all this time, she hid her true indentity within a Male persona that she had maintained for so long until Nevil rejected her. In the end, Paraietta was quite happy as a female. For her, it took a huge weight off her chest as she was free to be herself. Frankly, Paraietta has always wanted to be a Female. But she was willing to give up her own happiness for Nevil.
i guess i kinda agree with you. Paraietta wanted to be a man because she wanted to protect Neviril. After talking to Alti she finally understood that you can't be strong for someone else but both have to be strong to be together. Through the course of the anime i think she finally realize that you don't need to be a guy to protect a girl a girl can protect a girl. though i personally think paraietta is the one who needs the protecting since alot of times she's emotionally unstable and uncertain of herself. I guess at the end she just wants to be strong for herself.

on a side note this simoun engulfs so much variety of love/relationships. just to list:

1. Amuria x Aaeru x Neviril - even though they didn't go to the spring they'll still girls so this one is girl x girl.
2. Alti x Kaimu - sibling love/incest
3. Dominūra x Limone - depends on some it can go either way: mother/daughter love or just older woman/young girl love.
4. Mamiina x Rōdoreamon - girl x girl love divided by status
5. Anubituf x Guragief - male x male love
6. Wapōrif x Morinas - male x female love
7. everyone else - either unknown or just a general love for others.

Last edited by aniforever; 2007-11-25 at 03:28.
aniforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-25, 05:47   Link #2700
Conri

Oh boy... From the ending credits of the first episode...Roatreamon? Hahaha!

I wish they'd done Rōdreamon or Lōdreamon. Since they put an 'a' instead of the long o given to Wapōrif, I guess they put a 't' so that it wouldn't start with "Road". Or maybe I'm putting too much thought into it, and they just pulled letters from a hat.

Regardless, I'm happy to have the first R1 DVD for a series I thought I'd have to save up an eternity for $$$ R2 prices. I ended up watching all of the first episode even though I only meant to look up the name for now. I know I'm only repeating what's been said before, but it really is much better on rewatch, and that's my third.
Conri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, science fiction, yuri