Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

View Poll Results: Does Anbu suck?
Yes 29 39.19%
No 45 60.81%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2004-04-05, 17:30   Link #21
Serendipity

Send a message via ICQ to Serendipity Send a message via AIM to Serendipity Send a message via MSN to Serendipity
I don't really think they suck, but they just don' t seem to do much...not very interesting....I don't even KNOW what they are there for...
Serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-05, 17:32   Link #22
nh1
KAWAIII-III!!!! >^_^ >

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiko Seijuro 14th
Tsunade is just a healing ninja. In a one on one fight she will get owned by almost any high level Jounin.
Spoiler:
Old 2004-04-05, 17:37   Link #23
Hiko Seijuro 14th
Watashi wa Saikou

Send a message via MSN to Hiko Seijuro 14th
Spoiler:
Hiko Seijuro 14th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-05, 17:50   Link #24
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

... Hiko ... if Kakashi was stronger than Tsunade they would ask him to be the 5th not her. Tsunade is stronger than Kabuto or Kakashi. Find 1 person that thinks otherwise other than yourself.
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-05, 18:11   Link #25
Hiko Seijuro 14th
Watashi wa Saikou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexander
... Hiko ... if Kakashi was stronger than Tsunade they would ask him to be the 5th not her. Tsunade is stronger than Kabuto or Kakashi. Find 1 person that thinks otherwise other than yourself.

Kakashi is just like Jiraiya. He wouldn't want the job. He is too busy reading flirting paradise. Being that he is always late, he would not be a good person for the job anyway.
Old 2004-04-05, 18:12   Link #26
Muad'Dib
The Burninator

Not only do the ANBU show no usefulness so far in the series, they are also unforgiveably conceited and just plain stupid. I can't help but remember how they shook their heads at their poor old hokage who was just plumb washed up and depleted of chakra to really fight--in other words, he didn't stand a chance against big bad Orochimaru.

Clearly, ANBU members are idiotic levitated Chuunin.

In fact, it could be reasoned that they're really just incompetent ninjas placed in the assassin position by the upper aechylons so that they, well, could be killed by somebody like Kabuto.
Muad'Dib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-05, 18:34   Link #27
psycoking
kyōki-ō

Quote:
Kisame is Itachis friend from the Akatsuki. You are thinking of Kurenai
woops! talk about a mistake. Yeah, I had kurenai on my mind at the time. . . along with anko. . .and ramen girl. . .

ah, happy thoughts. . .

uh, oh yeah back to reality

Quote:
Kakashi is just like Jiraiya. He wouldn't want the job. He is too busy reading flirting paradise. Being that he is always late, he would not be a good person for the job anyway.
well they never actually asked kakashi did they. And personally I don't think that he is strong enough yet to be Hokage. If he was stronger than Tsunande then the elders would have picked him instead of her.After all, as the 4ths student kakashi is an eligable successor for Hokage.

Besides, you can't say tsunande is weak, just look at her taijutsu. When was the last time you did that with your finger?
psycoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-05, 18:41   Link #28
Hiko Seijuro 14th
Watashi wa Saikou

I never said she was weak. I said she is not an elite battle ninja. Gai would beat the shit out of her with raw power, Kakashi could explode her head with Chidori,Kabuto managed to fight her,Naruto, and Shizune at the same time.

And like I said, Kakashi is not asked to be Hokage because he is an unreliable lazy bastard.
Old 2004-04-05, 19:00   Link #29
Kakashi Sensei
LstSrvvngSskeFnGrl

Good topic of discussion that kinda fits in here:

Who would win in Hiashi v. Kakashi?
Kakashi Sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-05, 19:43   Link #30
Hiko Seijuro 14th
Watashi wa Saikou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakashi Sensei
Good topic of discussion that kinda fits in here:

Who would win in Hiashi v. Kakashi?

All we know about Hiashi is that he Kaitened like 12 Sand or Sound nins into oblivion.

Being the leader of Hyuuga and all he must be pretty dam amazing.

And Lexander you just suck period.
Old 2004-04-05, 21:04   Link #31
HoboGod
Necromancer

ANBU consists of chuunin and juunin, they probably would be useless in most fights if juunins/kages are involved, but they do serve their purpose as the hokage's personal spies. so i'd say they suck, but they aren't useless.
HoboGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-05, 21:06   Link #32
momojigari
Great I-Jin

shouldn't some of the posts above be considered spoilers? I mean..not that I care cuz i'm up to date with the eps..but err.. a little too much detailed back up there..
momojigari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-05, 21:22   Link #33
DJ*

Quote:
Spoiler:
Old 2004-04-05, 23:46   Link #34
EbonySeraphim
Phat Poster/Thread Killer

Send a message via AIM to EbonySeraphim
How did Kabuto even get considered as one of the top 5 strongest ninjas? How can he even compared to Tsunade? Gai kick the hell out of Tsunade? You have to consider that she is a medical ninja that knows a lot about her body and other human bodies. She knows how to use what she has 10x more effecitively than anyone else, not including jutsu that could probably easily enhance certain bodily functions (without cost). Without even doing any of that stuff, we also saw
Spoiler:
Gai is insanely good in Taijutsu like Lee for his level, but that's not to say that other people aren't just so much better overall, that their level in it is just as high. Example of comparison would be, even if Lee and Kakashi were only allowed to use taijutsu, Kakashi would still win, even if not allowed to be "sneaky." Kabuto just isn't high enough to Tsunade in anything to beat her in a serious fight.

This is more pertinent to another thread but top 5 nins: Jiariya, Orochimaru, Tsnade, Itachi...and below that, I'd say that many ninjas fit on this level so I would be naming one that wasn't really that much stronger than the others. Of course that is assuming Hokages dont count - or else I'd put Sarutobi on that level too(on top of the list easily given youth)

To the original topic:
ANBUs do suck. Given what the series says about them - yeah, they're cool sounding and what not. But if you measure what they have done in the series...it really amounts to nothing. They failed to detect the sound nins in the surrounding forest before the invasion despite on guy realizing a disturbance, the rest couldn't pick up on anything wrong; they couldn't do anything up against Orochimaru's 4 peon's barrier; and they definitely weren't among the effective warriors on the battle field. Really now, if they are that highly skilled, you'd think they could do something to make the 4 sound nins have to put in effort to hold up the barrier or find out it's "method" of blocking and use some proper justsu to go through it or destroy it. A barrier is quite similar to an "absolute" defense, and we all know in this series they aren't very "absolute."

Given all of that, I think the reason why this happens is partially due to <a href="http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=9346">"anime balancing"<a> sort of. Basically, ANBUs have no face, no history, nothing that makes it neccessary for them to win. Any character in any anime that you do see do something spetacular isn't going to be part of some "generic" group of fighters. The anime will explain them well and you will know their name. In the end I don't know if to say because ANBU have no faces they are weak, or they "have" to be shown as weak because of they have no faces. To reinforce that, I bet if they showed Kakashi in his ANBU days - for one he would be animated in such a way that was easy to pick out his character, and in that "episode" they would show his and his team a lot stronger and thoughtful than the ANBU in Naruto now.
EbonySeraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-05, 23:54   Link #35
Muad'Dib
The Burninator

Also, let it be noted that during the Orochimaru/3rd Hokage fight, several ANBU members sat around doing absolutely -nothing- but gawking while their village was falling down around them!
Muad'Dib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 00:04   Link #36
large
Zasugee(sasuke) sucks

Anbus sucks and here is the real list 1.Itachi 2.Tsunade/Jiraya 3.Tsunade/Jiraya 4.Orochimaru 5.Gai/Kakashi/Kabuto/Shark guy
large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 00:17   Link #37
OFFSPRiNGCo16
Godlike

Send a message via ICQ to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via AIM to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via MSN to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via Yahoo to OFFSPRiNGCo16
ANBU do not suck. They are very underrated. They really have just been shown in situations where they have not stood a chance. ANBU squads are a large part of the true stregnth of a village. ANBU squads do many dangerous missions. We dont see that because the focus of the anime is not on the anbu squads. its on Naruto. (duh) I think they have been shown being destroyed is to show that they will die for the village and complete their mission at any cost, no matter who the opponent. (Or something like that anyhow...)
OFFSPRiNGCo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 01:07   Link #38
Ari_0
Cant you See?

I agree with OffspringCo16
Ari_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 02:40   Link #39
EbonySeraphim
Phat Poster/Thread Killer

Send a message via AIM to EbonySeraphim
Quote:
Originally Posted by OFFSPRiNGCo16
ANBU do not suck. They are very underrated. They really have just been shown in situations where they have not stood a chance. ANBU squads are a large part of the true stregnth of a village. ANBU squads do many dangerous missions. We dont see that because the focus of the anime is not on the anbu squads. its on Naruto. (duh) I think they have been shown being destroyed is to show that they will die for the village and complete their mission at any cost, no matter who the opponent. (Or something like that anyhow...)
Unfortunately in the show we do not see them taking on these dangerous missions. And if you consider the highest ranking missions, they would require Jounins like Kakashi to complete. Chuunins and Jounin wouldn't cut it - only high level Jounins; and as far as I know, if an ANBU has the Jounin ranking and is on the "higher end" of it, they stop being ANBU and train the village graduates.

Also about the dying thing...I can see where the importance of a mission and willing to die for it being a good trait. But dying is also a very dire thing that shouldn't be done unless its a tight situation and you know <B>for sure</B> that you will complete what you have to by dying. The reason why dying shouldn't be taken lighly is obvious, for one is your life and is no longer an asset to the village so even if you complete the mission, the village has lost something; and two, if you don't complete the mission after dying, you really screwed up there.
EbonySeraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 02:46   Link #40
psycoking
kyōki-ō

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFFSPRiNGCo16
hmm. . . this depends on how you look at them. Given their discription in the series the ANBU are supposed to be elite ninjas serving as the spys, hunters, and top assassins of the village. When faliure is not an option, use ANBU. They are leet, ultracool, badasses

but. . . as we've seen them in action so far, they suck. So far they've gotten killed, missed large groups of bad guys four feet in front of them, and sat on a roof doing nothing. However, theres a reason for this, and EbS hits it right on the nose. Anime Balancing. Basically Kashimoto needed a way to show that the bad guys were strong, but since he can't kill of main characters he uses nameless, faceless ANBU instead. Is kabuto strong? Hell Yeah, he can mow through a troup of "strong" ANBU as though they were nothing. The Sound-nins? super sneaky cause they could decieve the "elite" ANBU troops. And what about oro's four barrier monkeys? L337 Justsu Masters, cause even the "great" ANBU can't get past their shinobi techniques.

get the point? they're cannon fodder meant to beef up the bad guys.
psycoking is offline   Reply With Quote