AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-09-22, 19:26   Link #161
TAAP
TheAnimeAbroadPodcastCrew

Just finished the show and I honestly liked it quite a bit. Some moments and characters were not my favorite (some far from it), but the show was relaxing and had its sweet parts. Really actually looking forward to a second season, especially after the little hint they gave with the new boy. Did not see Kou's father appearing in the house, that totally threw me off. I expected it to just be his brother, but it only made sense that his father was there as well. I know it was a melodramatic sad moment, but I actually burst out laughing when his brother teared up. Looking forward to more about him and Maoro if there is a second season.
Check us out! We're just a few folks doing reviews and posting news on anime.
TAAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-22, 21:06   Link #162
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Kou need to be punched in the face

4/10
Old 2014-09-22, 21:12   Link #163
garbage

hmm "Kirito" voicing Toma..--> 2nd season? they wouldn't have gotten him ( one of the in demand VAs these days? is he ) just for some bit thing would they?
Old 2014-09-23, 00:57   Link #164
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
Kou need to be punched in the face

4/10
Why's that?
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-23, 13:27   Link #165
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Who says melodrama is always a bad thing? The melodrama was turned to high for these last two episodes, and it was great -- even if I sometimes felt as if I was wading through syrup.

This was my second-favorite show of the season, after Glasslip, which nobody else seems to realize is a masterpiece (lol). Yes, I like romance. And I especially like romance when there is little chance of things going very wrong. I was fairly confident from the beginning that this relationship would work out, and those long minutes of them hugging each other on the riverbank were pure joy.

This show made me finally realize just how good Kaji Yuuki can be. And it confirmed my feeling that Uchida Maaya is actually a top voice now.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-23, 13:41   Link #166
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I very much liked the scene between Kou, his brother and his father. Last episode was good but had the kind of drama that you sort of need to suspend your disbelief for and recognise that it is a shoujo anime. This episode, however, required no such thing and it was a good point to end the series on too.

If I'm totally honest, I don't think Kou's problems make a whole lot of sense or at least aren't very easy to empathise with but I appreciate the fact that Kou's problems have made him a character in his own right and affecting relationships unrelated to Futaba. It still follows the typical "he's troubled but I can help him" shoujo fantasy line but this one is done a little bit better.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-23, 14:31   Link #167
HandofFate

Finished the last episode.
Good series, and good ending.
It isn't a final ending, but it wraps up the initial character problems presented in the beginniing nicely, and sets a few stuff up for next season. If there is a second season, I expect some focus on the rest of the circle, with our two main leads mellowing out a bit.

I liked Kou's problem, better than other male shoujo mains where they're just a fuse short of being a criminal. I'm fine with his guilt complex. Liked the scene with the father and brother with them sitting down together probably for the first time since Kou came back.
Old 2014-09-23, 16:08   Link #168
Arya

The first half was quite perfect, I also enjoyed it better than the previous episode. Kou and Futaba moment worked very well, but the focus on his family reunion was the part I liked the most. I mean, I also like romance (usually not the straight type), but family bonding is what I like the most, maybe because they are quite rare. And when done in the right way they help giving a deeper sense/meaning to the whole narrative that feels more rounded.

What I appreciated the most along the series is that in the Kou and Futaba interactions they never held back, I don't remember any break moments that usually happen in this kind of stories, they let them go quite freely stopping them at the right time, but making sure first to address what it was needed to be addressed. Like with the prolonged hug moment, that alone was a nice touch, at a certain point after that I thought, well, that would be the right time to confess, and then Futaba thought also that. And then well, the stomach butted in. Well, it's still anime. But they took all the time needed to make the scene meaningful.
So the ending result was that their whole development flowed quite naturally along all the series to me.
To make it short, it was a very well done series

Trivia: the one sock cat appeared while walked away near Kou's house.

So, let's hope they will go for a second season. And focusing a bit even on Kou's brother, that is adorable BTW, and Murao would be much appreciated.

On a side note I agree with Kaoru Chujo on Kaji Yuuki. I usually never pay much attention to VA, but usually also when he is involved you can't avoid to not know, and I have to say that he did a great work here. In the end, as said when the series started, the problem is more related to what the directors ask him to do (ehm, shouting).

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-23, 17:18   Link #169
ginger02

I really liked this series. I always heard of the manga but never read it until this show started.
ginger02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-24, 22:03   Link #170
justsomeguy

I'm not familiar with the manga, but on its own this show was a very pleasant watch, and the OP was my favorite of the season alongside Glasslip's. Sure Kou's side of the plot was very melodramatic to the point of being outright emo, but it was balanced out by Futaba's optimistic nature. The close nature and history of their relationship was portrayed well and made everything feel genuine, and the main characters' circle was written convincingly as a group of friends.

About the only negative things I can say was that the artstyle got funky at times (which I'm guessing comes from the shoujo manga source), and that "I will" was played far too often that it became cheesy rather than emotional.

Score: 8.5/10. If there's a second season, it will be an automatic watch for me.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-25, 08:58   Link #171
novalysis

Kou = Harem protagonist. Guy deserves a genre shift.

But since this is Shoujo Romance, that ain't going to happen.

If there's a second season, I'd dread the inevitable cliche of the Love Rival/s all the way to last episode.

Anyway more seriously speaking, Episode 11 was the emotional climax of this first season, and Episode 12 a very well executed send off of the cast for the Summer Vacation. I am actually prepared to call Episode 11 one of the best episodes that aired this season - it is pregnant with meaning and development, in emotional carthasis, and yet somehow avoids falling into the hell of melodrama. It also actually did a wonderful job of closing several plot threads, while potentially opening a few for a second season.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-16, 06:08   Link #172
abc0716

Just finish it earlier today. Compare with other romance Animes, Ao Haru Ride is indeed one of the better I'd watched so far.

Too bad it's one of the Anime that's like 'Read the manga/LN if you want to know more', hopes there will be a sequel adaptation in future...

Also, quite irony that Yuuri is also another ill-fated character being voiced by Kayano (Menma, Megu-nee, Chisaki, Linda, Alisha...).
abc0716 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
romance, shoujo