AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-04-09, 05:03   Link #41
The Green One

My advice is if you see something you feel is a spoiler just report the post and let the mods sort it out and deal with it. That's their job on this forum, that way you don't have to worry about arguing with someone over what is or is not a spoiler. If you're wrong the mod won't do anything and the poster isn't bothered. If you're right the problem will be dealt with. It's the best way really.
Old 2018-04-09, 05:55   Link #42
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post

And yeah this version of Persona explores some pretty dark stuff.
Persona 5's game director says the plot was supposed to represent a contemplative look at Japanese society, a reversal from the initially planned "journey of self-discovery" plot.
https://personacentral.com/persona-5...-around-world/

Early plans to make the story about global backpacking were halted after the 2011 Tohoku earthquake and tsunami.

"...my mood about Japan had changed as I rethought things…I wanted to refocus on Japan rather than direct my feelings to the outside world…
...Persona is a contemporary drama involving (youth and society)...the mindset of the people of Japan had changed (to a more inward, contemplative mood following the 2011 disaster), (so) we felt we had no choice but to change the concept of the project..to look at the adventurous spirit of the human mind instead.”

PS. How true is it that Tohoku had a very big impact on Japan's social conscience? I've noticed even Shinkai Makoto said Your Name's themes was inspired by the Tohoku incident as well.
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-09, 08:31   Link #43
KPSJ

I hope this does not end up like the persona 4 anime that was a mess for me and the persona 3 movies were rushed...... I have low expectations this can cover the whole game
KPSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-09, 12:26   Link #44
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
My advice is if you see something you feel is a spoiler just report the post and let the mods sort it out and deal with it. That's their job on this forum, that way you don't have to worry about arguing with someone over what is or is not a spoiler. If you're wrong the mod won't do anything and the poster isn't bothered. If you're right the problem will be dealt with. It's the best way really.
Quoted for truth.

And to add that when you report a post for a possible spoiler, please specify exactly what part of the post you think is the spoiler. Don't just say "spoiler". Mention what part of the post is suspicious to you. It will help us focus on the problem area. This is especially important if the post you're reporting is long. Thanks in advance!

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-09, 15:36   Link #45
MgMaster

K, so I have no previous experience with the Persona series and I prob won't play the games but I'd kinda like to give the animes that are out a shot. Figured I could try this based on some comments but as it usually goes, you prob get more out of it if you at least watched some previous series and have a better understanding of this universe(and playing the game ofc, that goes w/o saying).

This 1st ep was intriguing enough so my plan's to either watch the other Personas that are out after this ends or watch em as this is airing,preferably finishing 'em before this one reaches it's 2nd cour. The more I like what I see, the sooner I'll get motivated to watch the others.

Think that'd be okay?
MgMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-09, 16:45   Link #46
Twi

Neither are exactly required to watch the new series, but I'd say go for it. It'd help you understand some of the mechanics when it comes to Persona.
Old 2018-04-09, 18:15   Link #47
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I'll try to be as vague as possible, but as I said earlier, there's a part of the story that's a lot sweeter if you're familiar with the universe. So I say you should definitely go for it.
Old 2018-04-09, 21:23   Link #48
G0rd0

i thought this was gonna be 13 episodes i have been hearing people say its gonna be a 2 course is that true
G0rd0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-09, 23:25   Link #49
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

You asked that before, I'm guessing you misread the post in this thread that said
"there will be 12 BD/DVD volumes with 2 episodes per volume" as "there will be 12 episodes".

yorokobe shounen, this anime is 24 episodes.
Old 2018-04-10, 03:43   Link #50
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

24/25 is a lot of episodes though. With the vast amount of fluff that the game has, it's just a matter of whether the screenwriters make the correct decisions of which stuff to cut, which stuff to leave in, and which stuff to rewrite for the sake of brevity. I haven't gotten around to finishing Persona 3, but I honestly did not think Persona 4 was all that bad. I feel the first episode was pretty much perfect in terms of adaptation.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-10, 23:57   Link #51
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

The biggest problem with this episode is that Kawakami's hair isn't floofy enough.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-11, 00:27   Link #52
Mistyclear

^So small!!!
Mistyclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-11, 03:30   Link #53
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
The biggest problem with this episode is that Kawakami's hair isn't floofy enough.
Agreed.

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-11, 13:55   Link #54
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
24/25 is a lot of episodes though. With the vast amount of fluff that the game has, it's just a matter of whether the screenwriters make the correct decisions of which stuff to cut, which stuff to leave in, and which stuff to rewrite for the sake of brevity. I haven't gotten around to finishing Persona 3, but I honestly did not think Persona 4 was all that bad. I feel the first episode was pretty much perfect in terms of adaptation.
The first P4 Anime (not the Golden) was so good imho that it actually improved my view of the original game even more. Its genuinely a very fun adaptation and the deviations it has from the game just improve on what the game already had to some extent. I highly recommend if anyone wants to pick up one of the Persona shows to start with that one.

The P3 movies on the other hand never really clicked with me, they're too "srs bsns" in my view. Even more so than the original game which was already a pretty melancholic story (maybe melancholic is not the word but dark is a bit much as well).

P5 so far feels a bit packed but not rushed yet. It feels like the team trimmed the fat so much from the story that the only thing missing is the bone. At least for the first episode. But it's too soon to judge so let's wait. I haven't seen anything egregious so far, just slightly condensed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I fully support this notion!
Old 2018-04-13, 13:39   Link #55
Twi

Late, but I'm doing a review of the anime from here on.

Overall, it’s a fine start. Some of the fat has been trimmed off, but I understand the reason behind the changes they made and appreciate a good deal of the foreshadowing that they put in for those of us who have played the game.

Last edited by Twi; 2018-04-13 at 13:50.
Twi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-13, 16:35   Link #56
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Nice review, although my eyes kind of hurt. I happen to be that mutant that has trouble with bright colors against dark backgrounds.
Old 2018-04-14, 13:34   Link #57
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Episode 2 was still a bit too fast in my books, and while the changes are a bit odd (notably the timing for Morgana), it was sort of fine.
However, color me quite disappointed how the fight went. It is good how it went faithful to the game (such as using the correct weakness against the enemies shown here), but the animation was really underwhelming. Not only the animation was kind of lackluster, but even the design was a bit off, even Ren's signature portrait after an all out attack.

To be honest, I'm not sure if they can keep up with the aesthetic if episode 2 looks like that already.

On the other hand, however rushed it was, the character relationships and dynamics are good enough. Ren is also more "present". It doesn't feel as completely blank compared to Yuu in P4.
Old 2018-04-14, 15:15   Link #58
Mistyclear

...Fast episode and I can’t believe he was put on year probation for such a reasoning...what the heck??
Mistyclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-14, 15:29   Link #59
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

That's reality. Piss off the wrong guy and you end up with a criminal record.

As for the episode. There is good and bad. As well as indifferent.

The indifferent:

The changes in the order of events. They're for the most part inconsequential. They do not appear to break the flow of the story.

There were times when things moved a little fast, but I don't think a newcomer really has trouble understanding what's going on... Beyond still being clueless about the things that haven't been explained yet, of course.

The good:

Characterization and character interaction. I was wondering what they were going to do with Ren's personality. But I like this sort of dualistic approach. Where he is a more reserved person in every day life, but becomes a lot more assertive and in charge when he dons the mask.

The bad:

The battle. Dear lord, the battle. I'm known for being very forgiving about animation. And in fact have been known to not even notice bad animation. But damn, that was just.... bad. Which is a real shame because the opening and ending were an actual treat to watch. Typical A-1... Amazing to watch one moment, absolute ass the next.

Special mention: The nods to the game. Especially in the opening and ending sequences, which uses the same color palettes and stylistic effects. They also tried to do something neat with the All-Out Attack, but they just failed spectacularly. I want to say at least they tried, but they didn't try nearly hard enough.
Old 2018-04-14, 16:25   Link #60
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Is the crime Ren stopped so bad that the audience shouldn't know it? I think he stopped a sexual assault (didn't play the game) but I don't get why the woman didn't say anything. I liked his interaction with Ryuji but Morgana and Ann are still a big mystery