AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2018-04-13, 11:23   Link #1641
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Really? I don't watch Fox so I wouldn't know. But what's their opinion on Iran or North Korea? John Bolton used to appear regularly on Fox before becoming National Security Advisor. Both he and Secretary of State-designate Mike Pompeo are ardent opponents of the "Iran deal," and Bolton recently wrote an op-ed claiming it would be legal to attack the DPRK. (A good analysis of how wrong-headed Bolton's position is appears here.)

Syria is a mess, and intervention there would be fruitless. (The only "solution" would be the overthrow of Assad, and that's a non-starter.) But there are plenty of other places in the world where the Administration could get us into another military conflict.
Old 2018-04-13, 12:30   Link #1642
Key Board
Carbon

Well not exactly Fox News, but Tucker Carlson

He is basically saying the same things are you are.
and he also adds that the US doesn't really care about genocide, and that's why we are helping the genocide in Yemen.

Oooofff
Old 2018-04-13, 15:30   Link #1643
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
... he also adds that the US doesn't really care about genocide, and that's why we are helping the genocide in Yemen.

Oooofff
There's pretty much nobody on Washington or mainstream media than recognise that fact, or even than Saudi Arabia is making the situation in the middle east worse.
Old 2018-04-14, 14:45   Link #1644
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
... that's why we are helping the genocide in Yemen.
Let's not forget the ethnic cleansing or Rohingya at Myanmar/Bhurma (whatever it is called), if that had happened while Obama was president you can bet your pay check that Fox would be all over the administration for allowing such reprehensible behavior, they would have called them Nazi¡s and whatnot, but now that does not seem (to them) to be a bad thing, Hail Trumpo!
Old 2018-04-14, 18:45   Link #1645
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
Let's not forget the ethnic cleansing or Rohingya at Myanmar/Bhurma (whatever it is called), if that had happened while Obama was president you can bet your pay check that Fox would be all over the administration for allowing such reprehensible behavior, they would have called them Nazi¡s and whatnot, but now that does not seem (to them) to be a bad thing, Hail Trumpo!
I might be old school on this but I see a difference between allowing something to happen by doing nothing and being a active actor by helping a third party to do something reprehensible, (to use vague formula) while the first case is bad, the second case if far worse.
Old 2018-04-14, 19:02   Link #1646
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
I might be old school on this but I see a difference between allowing something to happen by doing nothing and being a active actor by helping a third party to do something reprehensible, (to use vague formula) while the first case is bad, the second case if far worse.
That train of thought holds water for most countries, but here we are talking about Globocop! What would you think if your local cop only stopped robberies, arson and annoying drunks IF you are in good terms with him (by giving him donuts, i.e.) and if you aren't he might not only ignore your calls for help, but even send some scums bags your way? Before you say "But Trump is removing the USA from conflicts from all over the world", I will believe that when he slashes his military budget, which atm is fatter than ever.
Old 2018-04-14, 19:31   Link #1647
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
That train of thought holds water for most countries, but here we are talking about Globocop! What would you think if your local cop only stopped robberies, arson and annoying drunks IF you are in good terms with him (by giving him donuts, i.e.) and if you aren't he might not only ignore your calls for help, but even send some scums bags your way? Before you say "But Trump is removing the USA from conflicts from all over the world", I will believe that when he slashes his military budget, which atm is fatter than ever.
I would say than Trump is more likely to get involved into armed conflict than Obama (which was far from being a dove), after than he increased the drone strike program and his response on Syria. Trump boosting the military budget is just him fattening his "friends'' in the militaro-political complex and posturing to the crowd.
Old 2018-04-15, 00:20   Link #1648
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
"World Police" is just a dumb nickname. You realize there's no such office, right? There's no world government, and no world tax to pay for world uniformed law enforcers.
Old 2018-04-15, 01:33   Link #1649
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
"World Police" is just a dumb nickname.
You fail to realize that is how the USA has labeled themselves for decades to enter about any military conflict (to preserve "world order") they are interested in without declaring a war, so "Globocop" is far from a nickname. You are so literal it is not even funny.
Old 2018-04-15, 02:21   Link #1650
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
You fail to realize that is how the USA has labeled themselves for decades to enter about any military conflict (to preserve "world order") they are interested in without declaring a war, so "Globocop" is far from a nickname. You are so literal it is not even funny.
They do what nations who can afford it do: project power, including military, to safeguard their interests, however they see those. Expecting more is naive, and comparing the situation with that of an actual police force is disingenuous. There is a social contract between a population and its government, and more literal contracts between government and police officers. There is no equivalent with the USA, aside from a few treaties which definitely don't say they have a duty (or even a right) to intervene in every conflict around the globe. So if you buy into the World Police propaganda, it's on you.
Old 2018-04-15, 03:35   Link #1651
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
So if you buy into the World Police propaganda, it's on you.
That is the point, it is propaganda, they announce themselves as saviors and calling them on it is not "on me" just like calling on putin's lies is not "on me". Either they act according to their statements or they are called liars by the world at large. It is a sensible stance, not a cynical one like you try to portray it.
Old 2018-04-15, 04:57   Link #1652
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

It isn't sensible to expect them to intervene everywhere and solve everything, no matter what caricatures you've seen about them. And there's no reason to treat them differently from all those other countries which also send their armed forces abroad for similar reasons. They're bigger and richer, that's all. It doesn't make them better, but it doesn't make them worse.
Old 2018-04-20, 03:28   Link #1653
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Donnie tweets:
James Comey Memos just out and show clearly that there was NO COLLUSION and NO OBSTRUCTION. Also, he leaked classified information. WOW! Will the Witch Hunt continue?
To answer his question, "Oh yes." Only because his reactions are so entertaining.
Old 2018-04-20, 05:56   Link #1654
GDB

Which part of the memos show this clearly?
Old 2018-04-20, 10:06   Link #1655
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Nothing in the memos supports Trump's opinion. For instance, the memo that most annoyed him was unclassified.

See Philip Bump's article from this morning for further corroboration: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...d-information/

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2018-04-20 at 10:32.
Old 2018-04-20, 16:23   Link #1656
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Do you think he read them?
Old 2018-04-20, 18:32   Link #1657
GDB

Quote:
Do you think he read them?
Obviously not. I'm more just wondering where he and his supporters would point to for this. Especially since these memos were written before Comey was fired. And his firing is what prompted the obstruction investigation. So it's kind of impossible for them to demonstrate proof that there was no obstruction.
Old 2018-04-21, 16:50   Link #1658
MCAL

Quote:
Obviously not. I'm more just wondering where he and his supporters would point to for this. Especially since these memos were written before Comey was fired. And his firing is what prompted the obstruction investigation. So it's kind of impossible for them to demonstrate proof that there was no obstruction.
Like that's stopped them before!
Old 2018-05-03, 11:06   Link #1659
James Rye

So Trump did pay off Stormy Daniels, who would have ever guessed that? *eye roll*
Old 2018-05-03, 17:29   Link #1660
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Actually the path of the money is pretty complex. Trump supposedly paid a "retainer" to Michael Cohen of $35,000 per month to build up a slush fund to deal with any "problems" like Ms. Clifford (aka Ms. Daniels) and the former Playboy Playmate Karen McDougal. Cohen set up a shell company (an "LLC") to which the money was paid, and the shell company paid Ms. Clifford. This all fits with Cohen's characterization of the transaction as his "facilitating" the transfer of funds. Still that doesn't really jibe with Cohen's borrowing the $130K against the equity in his home as he has claimed publicly. Supposedly the slush fund had, at one point, more than $400K. Was there an even broader flurry of payoffs right before the election besides those to Clifford and McDougal? Inquiring minds want to know.,

All U.S. Federal candidates have the right to contribute as much of their own money as they want to their campaigns without any legal jeopardy. What's at issue here is what are called "in-kind" contributions. If I host a big soiree for a candidate rather than donate the funds directly, US law treats both contributions identically. For Michael Cohen, the issue is whether paying Clifford so close to the election constituted an in-kind contribution on his part. Since it is way in excess of the $2,700 legal limit, he could be charged with felony violation of the election laws. That's pretty unlikely in my mind. I suspect Cohen has a lot of baggage that was hiding in closets until the Feds showed up with that subpoena.
Closed Thread