AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-07-08, 21:32   Link #21
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Ep 01

Okay ... that was absolutely delightful - another really good job by J.C. Staff all around imo.

The bgm by Gontiti and the OP are also both ideal!

Really looking forward to this one.

Insta-follow!
Old 2016-07-08, 21:38   Link #22
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

animation was beautiful. it has the same exactly look origination had. i can't wait to see the underwater shots. the chibi faces were a little too much, but they're that prevalent in the manga as well, so i can't complain.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-08, 21:39   Link #23
Kazu-kun

It was okay, but I didn't like how they removed some Pikari moments. I guess they wanted to focus on Teko, but it was a bit excessive imo.
Old 2016-07-08, 21:41   Link #24
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
It was okay, but I didn't like how they removed some Pikari moments. I guess they wanted to focus on Teko, but it was a bit excessive imo.
My guess is that the choice of the content from the manga to adapt in the first episode was more designed to give a general introduction to some of the characters (as contrasted from the source material's progression of presenting things).

Maybe some of the chronological material they skipped over will be in future eps to give it more attention and focus?

They did a pretty good job with their choices for Flying Witch, I thought, so for the moment I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt ... perhaps their decisions for Flying Witch were not to everyone's tastes though?
Old 2016-07-08, 23:37   Link #25
Ernietheracefan

Looking forward for the twins..

While comparing Tamayura with Aria is more like comparing Vividred with SW.
Ernietheracefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-09, 00:48   Link #26
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Location: <clap> <clap> <clap> <clap> Deep in the Heart of Texas
In the weakest anime season in a long time, I was heavily counting on this show to anchor the cours. Unfortunately, despite its heavyweight credentials, the first episode was so offputting that I won't even return for a second.

- The OP was so forgettable that even Ma'aya couldn't save it.

- Neo Venezia, Choro Club and the interesting, charming characters all combined to give Aria its sublime ambience. Here, even the beautiful ocean and the Choro Club wannabes, GONTITI, can't redeem these unremarkable, boring non-entities.

- Pikari has the face and personality of a Muppet. What was used in Aria as a comedic contrast has here become a grinning vacuous monstrosity (which goes well with the grotesque horned cat monster, which I heard is actually named Aria!).

- The other one is almost invisible, barely even having a name of her own.

- What were charming and elegant full-length uniforms for an undine just look ridiculous as school uniforms. No schoolgirl would even consider wearing such an impractical thing every day, especially in summer. She rode her scooter to school wearing that? They don't even match the boys' uniforms.

What made this effort look even more puerile was seeing episode 14 of Hibike! Euphonium right after. There the large cast were bright, spirited, nuanced, and distinguishable. Small details of expression, mood, and behavior were captured beautifully. And there was a flow of tension, action, and resolution that captured my interest. I could invest in these people.

Am I going to have to make it until H!E's 2nd season in October on Bananya alone?

Last edited by drobertbaker; 2016-07-09 at 01:02.
drobertbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-09, 03:53   Link #27
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well that was... very cut and paste actually, minus some of the Pikarin bits and mostly Teko focus. Somewhat understandable since a lot of the early story is mostly on Teko and her interior monologuing, but it looks like they're really trying to sell that fact that it's a diving SoL, and perhaps they're assuming that Pikarin's antics won't jive well with that?

In any case given that this is only 1 cour I was actually hoping that they'd take a few more liberties with the pace to give more time for the rest of the diving aspects of the show. At the pace the episode went I'm not exactly sure where they'd end this.

A very solid episode nonetheless, it just felt very "safe".
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-09, 04:31   Link #28
R.LocK
My turn

Very subdued soundtrack combined with pretty visuals. I'm sold.

Better entry for the season from JC Staff compared to Taboo Tattoo, that's for sure.
R.LocK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-09, 06:56   Link #29
IceHism

Nice animation. Though I have a feeling it won't live up to aria.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-09, 08:15   Link #30
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

It certainly won't, and it would ruin one's enjoyment of the show if one keeps on making those comparisons.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-09, 09:06   Link #31
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

wait, where does the Dotty nickname come from. is that something that ACS made up to replace Teko? i don't quite remember. its been 7ish years since the manga came out?

any who, they also cut out some of the more sensual curves Amano drew for the characters. its a shame, since she drew them soooooooo well..

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2016-07-09, 11:11   Link #32
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I really don't like the OP, and that's the only bad thing I'll say about this.

Cutting out Pikari and Katori's first meeting was a good decision in order to maintain a stronger narrative focusing on Teko.
Old 2016-07-09, 15:29   Link #33
zeross87

weekly dose of sugar coming tight up !
zeross87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-09, 17:20   Link #34
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
wait, where does the Dotty nickname come from. is that something that ACS made up to replace Teko? i don't quite remember. its been 7ish years since the manga came out?
Yeah, I've been wondering about where the hell ACS got "Dotty" from as a nickname. Fortunately that choice of nickname didn't make it here, especially since people can now hear exactly what is being said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I really don't like the OP, and that's the only bad thing I'll say about this.

Cutting out Pikari and Katori's first meeting was a good decision in order to maintain a stronger narrative focusing on Teko.
I have a dissenting opinion on the OP, but well, different strokes. *shrugs*

Also, from the previous trailers they look to be keeping that aerial diving scene in, they're just reordering it to be later, likely the next episode.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-09, 20:43   Link #35
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i'm indifferent towards the OP. it isn't as memorable as any of the aria OPs.

Old 2016-07-10, 06:52   Link #36
Draco Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.LocK View Post
Very subdued soundtrack combined with pretty visuals. I'm sold.

Better entry for the season from JC Staff compared to Taboo Tattoo, that's for sure.
Completely different beast to Taboo Tattoo in honesty. Taboo Tattoo seems more of a dumb fun action fest with fanservice elements, while this is a subdued SOL gentle paced comady. I'm planning to watch both for completely different reasons lol >.<

Anyway onto the show it's self!

I wasn't expecting much from this, in fact I mentaly put it in the box 'probably boring and put me to sleep category' (Much like Orange did ) but I found the comady to be excellent and was giggling plenty.

The characters are all well defined (even Granny) and the deliberately colliding of Ms Happy Go Lucky (Who looks like she walked out of of a romantic comady) with Ms Emo (Who looked like she walked out of a serous horror/drama) seems ripe for excellent narrative.

The art shifts are another high point and seem to be used to enforce specific character mood (Look at the range in the students in the classroom), rather than scene mood, and I find it delightfully charming.

Anyway I've heard Aria name thrown about a lot, does it really have a similar mood to this?
Draco Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-10, 08:48   Link #37
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

I've not read the manga so hadn't any idea what i was in for, but I quite liked the first ep. It was quirky and kind of endearing.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-10, 10:23   Link #38
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Anyway I've heard Aria name thrown about a lot, does it really have a similar mood to this?
It does have a similar mood. It has a similar cast dynamic within the same characters (optimist/snappy/pragmatic), however if I was to say what was the common thread between the two, I'd say it would be most reflected in the author's Kozue Amano, love for the sea and creating a relaxed environment.

I've thought long and hard why I like Aria as much as I do (spoiler alert, it's my #1 series so i may be a little biased) and it's related to the fact that it's a series that slowly drags you into the world and makes you care about it. There are few series where the world is so carefully constructed that you feel you could take a stroll around it yourself, meet the people and have a nice chat while having a cup of tea in it but Neo-Venecia is a clear winner. I may not be making myself any favors but I come to Amanchu with sky high expectations.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-10, 10:30   Link #39
Seihai
スマイリウム

I thought it was a comedy with focus on its silliness, but it was rather relaxing. The budget saving faces are cute, too. Also, is that a cat?
Old 2016-07-10, 16:52   Link #40
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
It was a solid first episode, nice animation but the chibi faces was a bit too much.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deep sea diving, slice of life