AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Attack on Titan

Notices

Old 2012-12-12, 08:12   Link #181
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
When people was talking about 3D Gears using to combat Titan, i thought they would be something like full bodied armor with badass weaponries. Eee~ it turned out that they're no more than some traditional grapplers attaching to the user's waist with cheap-looking propellers. Makes me wondering whether the setting is on modern age or not.
It is not. We do not have fool knowledge on what happened to humatiny long before the current evens, but it looks like it's far future and human civilization degradeted to the level of 19th century or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonkid11 View Post
I'm kind of surprised that they don't have steam powered rifle as their technology level in handling steam is much more advanced than gunpowder.
Steam? While it's natural to think they have steam powered stuff there - 3D gear is working on gas.
Old 2012-12-12, 09:44   Link #182
articuzwolf
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

Quote:
When people was talking about 3D Gears using to combat Titan, i thought they would be something like full bodied armor with badass weaponries. Eee~ it turned out that they're no more than some traditional grapplers attaching to the user's waist with cheap-looking propellers. Makes me wondering whether the setting is on modern age or not.
definitely not, especially if your definition of modern age is cybernetic computerised armour to fight Giants with missiles, beam saber or laser as weaponry

you can think like this, the civilisation and modernisation was halted due to Giant suppression on humanity...
Old 2012-12-12, 10:10   Link #183
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonkid11 View Post
It's steampunk

I'm kind of surprised that they don't have steam powered rifle as their technology level in handling steam is much more advanced than gunpowder.

Then again,not time for that stuff when it's ineffective against gas giants(pun intended)
I think the author made an entire novel explaining how the 3D Maneuver Gear was invented.
Old 2012-12-12, 11:13   Link #184
desrtsku
Nympholept

Quote:
It's like everyone said, it's set in a far far future where human civilisation has considerably degraded. If you read the manga and see what humanity has been reduced to, you'll understand that it's pretty much legit that they shouldn't have the knowledge nor the resource (especially the resources) to produce such kind of vehicles.
Old 2012-12-13, 00:13   Link #185
vuluc88

Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
It's like everyone said, it's set in a far far future where human civilisation has considerably degraded. If you read the manga and see what humanity has been reduced to, you'll understand that it's pretty much legit that they shouldn't have the knowledge nor the resource (especially the resources) to produce such kind of vehicles.
I don't remember it's a far future.
ANW... as i recall, the years that the story run around is 845(the first time colossal titan appeared), 850(the second and the first fight of main chars), the first time Titans appear is more than 100 years ago so around 700s, etc.
So... let's just say this is a bit old World especially Europe alternative time line (a bit later of Arthur era )
vuluc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-13, 00:27   Link #186
CJ_Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPN View Post
http://project-attack.com/
Director: Tetsuro Araki
Series Composition: Yasuko Kobayashi
Character Design: Kyoji Asano

By the director of guiIty crown...oh boy. Wit studio is animating it.

This is an awesome series. . .but not nearly complete -.- and they have the some guy from guilty crown doin this? . . . .

my hopes are really really low. . . .
CJ_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-13, 00:37   Link #187
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Walker View Post
This is an awesome series. . .but not nearly complete -.- and they have the some guy from guilty crown doin this? . . . .

my hopes are really really low. . . .
By the director of death note if it makes you feel better.... love them or loathe them Tetsuro Araki was pretty faithful to both Death Note and High School of the Dead, he even put in a scene earlier for HSotD because he knew "fans" wanted to see that... "I'm wet".

I really don't know how a series that was mostly at fault due to Yoshino being a complete hack has any bearing on something with a source material as great as Kyojin. The writer for this is Yasuko Kobayashi and not Yoshino, that by itself is addition by subtraction and than you see that Yaskuo is in charge of writing the currently airing Jojo's Bizarre Adventures... seems the manga fanbase of that is pretty happy with her job... she also helped out on Death Note.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-13, 00:42   Link #188
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
By the director of death note if it makes you feel better.... love them or loathe them Tetsuro Araki was pretty faithful to both Death Note and High School of the Dead, he even put in a scene earlier for HSotD because he knew "fans" wanted to see that... "I'm wet".

I really don't know how a series that was mostly at fault due to Yoshino being a complete hack has any bearing on something with a source material as great as Kyojin. The writer for this is Yasuko Kobayashi and not Yoshino, that by itself is addition by subtraction and than you see that Yaskuo is in charge of writing the currently airing Jojo's Bizarre Adventures... seems the manga fanbase of that is pretty happy with her job... she also helped out on Death Note.
Oh give me a break. A director has oversight over the writers. If he didn't think Yoshino was giving good ideas for GC, he could have changed them. He did a great job on Death Note, but then you have to remember in HoTD he went fucking crazy with boob bouncing. The manga didn't necessarily have all that boob physics, even if it definitely had a lot of fanservice. He turned HoTD into an utterly repulsive work. That's all him.

There are certainly people with worse track records out there, and he's certainly not inherently incompetent, but he's not as blameless as you make him out to be.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-13, 01:09   Link #189
CJ_Walker

Quote:

oh ok, guess it balances it out. . .although I didn't really like the second half of death note but still. . .the manga's plot moves at a snails pace though (thanks to the source material author) but then monthly mangas are like that (except for fma. . .that one had like 55-60 pages per chapter and lots of stuff happening in each chap. . .so you felt really satisfied. . .even with cliffhangers) so that may cause some problems for the anime. . .I'm not keeping my hopes really high. . .more like at a moderate pace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Oh give me a break. A director has oversight over the writers. If he didn't think Yoshino was giving good ideas for GC, he could have changed them. He did a great job on Death Note, but then you have to remember in HoTD he went fucking crazy with boob bouncing. The manga didn't necessarily have all that boob physics, even if it definitely had a lot of fanservice. He turned HoTD into an utterly repulsive work. That's all him.

There are certainly people with worse track records out there, and he's certainly not inherently incompetent, but he's not as blameless as you make him out to be.

Well LOL there's no boobs in this one so at least we're safe from all that nonsense hahaha
Old 2012-12-13, 01:55   Link #190
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Oh give me a break. A director has oversight over the writers. If he didn't think Yoshino was giving good ideas for GC, he could have changed them.
He may have oversight but he isn't writing the damn thing.. besides it may have been the case that the Code Geass writing duo had way more pull for this production... they did have to come up with the story after all..

And who's saying it didn't change? Could've been even worse before lol, I mean a lot of people (not so much here) like to shit on AnoHana but if Nagai didn't change things from what Okada wanted... L O L. It's still Okada's work/script though...

Quote:
He did a great job on Death Note, but then you have to remember in HoTD he went fucking crazy with boob bouncing. The manga didn't necessarily have all that boob physics, even if it definitely had a lot of fanservice. He turned HoTD into an utterly repulsive work. That's all him.
Apart from the boob matrix scene which was worth doing for the notoriety alone.. how many more times did he go that overboard? Don't try and turn the HSotD manga into something it wasn't, the majority of ecchi manga readers (target audience) were quite happy with what they got, since he amped up the things they wanted.

Quote:
No he's not blameless, but he's able to capture the style of what he adapts which is something a lot of directors can't do. He may go over the top at times, but look @ what he's working with this time compared to those occasions you think he missteped.

What exactly is the worry for Kyojin?

The source is fantastic, the writer is currently doing a fantastic job on a manga series even more loved than this, the trailer was spectacular, it has a budget behind it (it's a Nichigo show after all) how is Araki going to stuff this up?

The only thing to worry about is how this ends, monthly manga gets a lot of original endings, look @ the original FMA, Claymore (which Yasuko Kobayashi also wrote, and did a great job of until she had to make an ending) and Ao no Exorcist.

If the series is twice as popular in 6 years time when it's about to end it's not like they won't reboot this anyway...
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-13, 02:13   Link #191
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
I think a director who operates with this sort of mindset is a bit questionable:

Quote:
What would it be like if a school was overrun by zombies?

… There’d be the breasts of a hot teacher bouncing around all over the place, wouldn’t there? She’d be trying to save her class from all kinds of trouble.

I try to keep this in mind when making the anime.

[...]

“Even if the world is swarming with zombies, let us not forget the breasts and thighs!” – those are our watchwords.

[...]

I want to keep making lots of scenes full of jiggling breasts as much as possible. We really think the people who come to watch this are in it for the boobs.

Currently we are constantly researching how to better portray realistically the jiggling breast.

[...]

Yes, it’s all about the breast jiggle. I’ve never even seen an anime with as much jiggle as this. We’re still in production for the remaining episodes but we’re going to keep at it with the jiggling.

Tell us what motivated you to make Highschool of the Dead?

I’m aiming for something I would have bought myself in middle school. At present, this would definitely have been a “buy” for me. I can feel my schoolboy heart rejoicing even now.
Now I am not saying he's a bad choice, but I feel he still has much to prove. It could very well be that he let Yoshino do whatever the hell he wanted with GC. He's not the type of director to reign in a production. Though since this is an adaption, and of something highly acclaimed, there shouldn't be too much worry.

That is all.
Old 2012-12-13, 02:15   Link #192
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
He may have oversight but he isn't writing the damn thing.. besides it may have been the case that the Code Geass writing duo had way more pull for this production... they did have to come up with the story after all..

And who's saying it didn't change? Could've been even worse before lol, I mean a lot of people (not so much here) like to shit on AnoHana but if Nagai didn't change things from what Okada wanted... L O L. It's still Okada's work/script though...
True, we really can't hold the director responsible for all of it, but the AnoHana example actually drives home the point. Nagai did put away the "LOL" shennigans and everything turned out better, allegedly. That suggests that the director has some pull and responsibility in dealing with executing said script. I think it'd be far to say that the Director is responsible somewhat in being implicit through inaction if things end up subpar. Of course, whatever actual power they have is up to speculation.

Quote:
No he's not blameless, but he's able to capture the style of what he adapts which is something a lot of directors can't do. He may go over the top at times, but look @ what he's working with this time compared to those occasions you think he missteped.

Ultimately, I think relatively nothing. It's not like we're dealing with a known hack like Yoshino. It might be slightly negative for some. Then again I chuckled at the antics in DN/HoTD but depending on the nature of the material, it might just not be the best choice. We'll just have to see.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-13, 03:59   Link #193
CJ_Walker

directors...do you know what they do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
True, we really can't hold the director responsible for all of it,

I was always under the impression that the director approves or denies the scripts. . .

anywway. . .somewhat relevant(its about film directors, but I'm pretty sure the process is the same just scaled down for anime format. . . and the main point is the power the directors have over scripts/writting. . .so yeah.): http://goodlady.hubpages.com/hub/How...-Youve-Written

for those too lazy to click on a link:

The Position of a Scriptwriter with a Film Director

If your script has reached a director who wants to talk with you about it, then the director could be interested in making a movie from it. Well done to get this far! You have come a long way through the doors of many 'tough' professional offices.

It is the beginning of a new phase in the life of the script. Notice that I didn't say your script. Even though you wrote it and rewrote it many times, it is a good idea to know that your script is a part of a narrative which the director will, ultimately, bend and twist and turn inside out, if necessary, to make into a film that he or she wants to make.

This article briefly describes the ways in which a scriptwriter will generally lose total control over their script in this film making process, not to put a dampener on their achievement but in order to advise them that when they speak with a film director they'll be aware that it's about collaboration from the moment they open, or don't even open that first page of the script - and it is the director who calls all the shots!

Your story must have a lot of appeal if it got this far. It can take interpretation. A badly worked out story can't. Your story is up for it - so hold on to that certainty and enjoy the merry go round you're about to board.
Did You Know?

John Milius wrote the original screenplay for 'Apocalypse Now' - a violent, gory war story pure and simple. But Francis Ford Coppola based his own movie on a radically altered script based on Joseph Conrad's story "The Heart of Darkness" which he never stopped writing and re-writing until the last day of shooting - as he himself got under the skin of the War in Vietnam.

What Artisitc and Dramatic Aspects a Film Director Controls

You will lose control over your script. It will become 'the script' and until the very last day of shooting it will be re-scripted (rewritten) many, many times. You may never even get a credit for it. You may not want a credit for it

When you're talking about the movie with a film director about a script you've written bear in mind the following very real notions the director may already have:

A desire to make a certain kind of film from before they read your script (loves Adventure, but yours is a Drama)
Might want to completely re write the script because the story's good but they want to interpret it differently. (Dialogue?)
Could want to change the genre of the screenplay (Western to Horror)
Could want to change the period (Sci Fi to Today)
Like Mike Leigh, Federico Fellini and other directors who prefer to let their actors improvise, this director likes the actors to improvise with the dialogue too.

The director is, as the title implies, the director. He or she is the god of the movie, interpreting the script, creating a movie out of all the materials, professional talents (production designer, camera man, actors etc) with the money at his or her disposition.

The studios producing this movie can fire the director, but usually the director, hell bent on making this movie, will bear in mind all the production constraints and tow the line where the studios and producer are concerned. Very often, on the other hand, a director could and does work very closely with a producer. (No two film making collaborations or movie teams or contracts between the parties are the same.)

The director will modify the script to meet his own artistic demands. Equally he will change the script to meet the producer's and the the film studio's expectations. (There are teams of lawyers and agents involved)

The director often modifies a script because of its costs.

A script might cost too much to shoot on location, or if it is a period piece, or sci fi. Sets might be too costly to build in studios. Directing children, animals, monsters is complicated. There are as many reasons why a director has to modify the script as there are scripts written.

No one director, or one script, or one story, or one narrative obey the same creative plan. No script begins its journey with a director and follows any path it could have foreseen, or be like any other script, or be a part of a collaboration like any other collaboration.

Making a movie is a totally creative process involving many highly creative and superbly talented artists, within a business structure. How to talk to a film director about a script you have written needs to indicate how aware of this you are!

How to Write An Interesting Movie Script
Before writing a script do the research. Read screenwriting text books, movie scripts, watch movies, study them, write short stories about your characters, know their worlds. Then write the Treatment.
How To Sell A Movie Script Write The Treatment
Write the film Treatment if you want to sell a film script. Make it industry standard.
How to Get a Movie Script Produced
A few ways how to get a movie script produced through your local film industry and in Hollywood. What an agent does. What a Producer does.

How to Talk to A film Director About Your Script

Bearing all of the above in mind, the best way to prepare to talk to a film director about your script is to have learned as much as you can about the director ahead of time.

Do they prefer to direct as Fellini or Mike Leigh, or do they control every aspect of direction as do Stephen Spielberg and George Lucas?
What do their past collaborators say about working with them?
Watch all the films that director has made and worked on. Analyze them.
Read all about the director as well as anything they have written. Study their work and the scripts they've worked from - to get under their skin as much as you can.
Know what it is this director wants to say politically, about marriage, war, farce, women etc. as much as you can.
If this is a director's first film, the collaborative processes could be on a more friendly level but the director will still have very clear ideas about how they want to interpret your script.

Knowing all this and being ready to 'let go' of your script into the directors directorship will make how to talk to a film director about a script you have written much more intimate.

This professional creative intimacy makes for a good movie making experience. Good Luck.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok carry on
Old 2012-12-13, 06:36   Link #194
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

It's an adaptation so I really doubt there would be problems here. From the adaptations I've seen Tetsuro direct, he always tries to make the best out of the source material. Death Note was very gritty and suspenseful just like how the manga was. HOTD was full of fanservice and gore and the anime glorified exactly on that selling point which is what HOTD technically is all about. I say the make or break of this series is in the source material itself and in Shingeki no Kyojin's case, it's actually pretty damn amazing.
Old 2012-12-13, 07:42   Link #195
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
I think a director who operates with this sort of mindset is a bit questionable
Why?It shows he's done his research,read the source and knows what what fans of the source material are looking for.

The mindset isn't "I only care about fanservice" it's "I figure people reading this manga like fanservice,so that's what I'll give them"

Reck,If you'v been reading HoTD for anything other than fanservice you've been doing it wrong,I mean it's a manga where the writer and artist were codenaming female characters based on breast size before giving them formal names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Walker
oh ok, guess it balances it out. . .although I didn't really like the second half of death note but still
That's in the manga,and I always thought the "second half" (which is really the last third) was better in the anime than the manga,mainly by cutting out a whole lot of it.

Seriously,death note is one of the rare cases where I read a manga before watching the anime and still ended up liking the anime more.

Tetsuro Araki comes from madhouse,and madhouse is a director centric studio (I got that from attending a Q&A with its founder and asking the question of writer/director dynamics),so I doubt he'd be the type tojust sit back and let the writer do whatever he wanted.
That said considering I like death note,hotd as well as Kurozuka and Sakura no Mori I'm more than willing to overlook GC
Old 2012-12-13, 08:25   Link #196
Jetzero Infinity

I really don't think there's anything to worry about with Araki. His directing style is a bit over the top, but it would work for this kind of series. Plus provided it wasn't just a propaganda thing, he's already admitted to being a fan of the manga so I doubt he'd go crazy with it and start making all kinds of weird changes(if anything it should mean he should already have some ideas of what direction the show would have to go towards for a workable original ending if they have to do one, since he's familar with the material, but I dunno if I should give him that much credit).

Frankly the only thing to worry about is how it'll end because as I mentioned earlier, the fact that the manga doesn't really have a point that would work well as a season 1 ending(along with all the usual woes of being a monthly series) means there's a really high chance we'll get an original ending (which may lead to the crazy changes mentioned above) but to some extent even that would depend of factors somewhat out of Araki's control like the episode count. In the event it does end up being longer than 2-cours it could probably be done decently.
Jetzero Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-13, 11:22   Link #197
desrtsku
Nympholept

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuluc88 View Post
I don't remember it's a far future.
ANW... as i recall, the years that the story run around is 845(the first time colossal titan appeared), 850(the second and the first fight of main chars), the first time Titans appear is more than 100 years ago so around 700s, etc.
So... let's just say this is a bit old World especially Europe alternative time line (a bit later of Arthur era )
Erm ... that "far far future" thing was actually a sarcasm, to somehow make fun of how the other person thought the 3d gear was some kind of futuristic mecha battle gear. I thought the term being so freaking exaggerated was enough to make it clear though (maybe I should have put a smiley or something), I'm really sorry if it lead to a misunderstanding
But anyway, we shouldn't take their calendar too literally, because firearms didn't even exist somewhere near the 9th century. With how developed their medical knowledge and infrastructure are. They should be somewhere near the equivalent of our modern era (or to be accurate, somewhere near when the Industrial Revolution started to kick in when the titans first appeared, if we consider their advancement in technology was halted by that tragic event, that is)
Old 2012-12-13, 12:57   Link #198
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Why?It shows he's done his research,read the source and knows what what fans of the source material are looking for.

The mindset isn't "I only care about fanservice" it's "I figure people reading this manga like fanservice,so that's what I'll give them"

Reck,If you'v been reading HoTD for anything other than fanservice you've been doing it wrong,I mean it's a manga where the writer and artist were codenaming female characters based on breast size before giving them formal names.
Oh sure, it would be silly of me to deny that fanservice is part what makes HoTD what it is. But there is such a thing as going over the top and that style of his can sometimes negatively impact an experience for me. Even Death Note he could get a bit corny and cheesy with at times because of it.
Old 2012-12-13, 20:55   Link #199
Fevvers
a regular van veen

If it means anything, Araki's Kurozuka was really good (not a masterpiece, definitely, but I like how dynamic and crisp the direction was). Guilty Crown I just blame the type of series they were going for which is targetting the code geass crowd.
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-15, 09:55   Link #200
Hoaviet

I don't know why everyone is hating on Guilty Crown,

story was decent.

Tags
action, dystopian, fantasy, post-apocalyptic, shounen, terror, tragedy, violence