AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2009-01-07, 10:45   Link #121
sk3

Makes sense and btw, yesterday i couldn't use the fullscreen option to choose which monitor to use fullscreen. only happened using latest version i think. I could always select the screen and pressing F would do fullscreen on whatever screen i choose, now it always does fullscreen on the laptop monitor. I'll check it out better today and i'll say something

UPDATE1: Ok i can confirm that using the latest build of mplayer os x and by using separated window option and using the function to choose the monitor from GUI to fullscreen isn't working, but using the integrated video it works fine. This didn't happened in older builds and i suspect that something might be broke in latest release. I don't know if some logging from console will help in this case.

Can someone else confirm this behavior too?

To produce the results is simple: just change the video output option to Separate window (CoreVideo) and then choose another screen you have connected and select it from the list and try to full screen just by pressing the F key during playback. The only way to put fullscreen using separated window is by using the "old style action" by dragging the window to the other screen's desktop then pressing F key.

Last edited by sk3; 2009-01-07 at 23:20. Reason: update on info
Old 2009-01-09, 11:29   Link #122
anime_layer
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via ICQ to anime_layer
@sk3
Thanks for spotting that!
The problem was probably around since test1 and had to do with the changes to MPlayer to allow multiple gui instances.

I've just released rev8 (final) and the fix for the fullscreen problem is included.
Old 2009-01-09, 14:12   Link #123
sk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by anime_layer View Post
@sk3
The problem was probably around since test1 and had to do with the changes to MPlayer to allow multiple gui instances.

I've just released rev8 (final) and the fix for the fullscreen problem is included.
Nice, i'll update it right now and test it later

I didn't have my laptop to test it before so the last build i used was rev7

This might be the best build so far

Tkx for your hard work anime_layer
Old 2009-01-11, 22:12   Link #124
Takeru
Jag äter idioter
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Takeru
Great work anime_layer. Everything works great in rev8. No problems to report here.

One thing I do want to point out though is that updating through the Sparkle appcast, for me at least, was agonizingly slow. I was downloading the update at 2kB/s. Downloading straight from your site was fine. It was just updating from MPlayer itself.

It's probably something funky on my end, but I wanted to point that out just in case.
Old 2009-01-13, 20:34   Link #125
Utils
Inactive Member

Anime_layer, maybe you should look into perian (open source) to see why it doesn't lag. I've been using perian on my Mac since the week I got it (February of last year) and it works like a champion. The only caveat being I have to wait for the MKV's to load in memory but after that it's smooth sailing. And I am talking about the 1280x720 spec. In fact I often play them at 3x to skip the boring non-robot punching parts. ;]

If it matters:
MacBook Pro
2.5Ghz Core 2 Duo
2GB 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM

My PC couldn't play a 1280x720 MKV even if it's life depended on it.
Old 2009-01-16, 00:46   Link #126
Takeru
Jag äter idioter
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utils View Post
If it matters:
MacBook Pro
2.5Ghz Core 2 Duo
2GB 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM

My PC couldn't play a 1280x720 MKV even if it's life depended on it.
I don't see why your computer wouldn't be able to play 1280x720 MKVs. My MacBook Pro does it all the time. I have even pushed it to doing 1280x720 @ 60fps.

I have a 2.4GHz Core2 Duo with 4GB DDR2 667MHz SDRAM and it runs it like a champ. Even when I had 2GB of RAM it was fine. [/attempted hijack]
Old 2009-01-16, 20:45   Link #127
sk3

Ok i came across this particular file and got a small problem...

Strangely enough, both VLC and Mplayer OS X do the same, while under MPC on windows or QuickTime via Perian works great.

There's a problem in a file i have, that instead of displaying normal text, only squares are displayed.

I'll post the console log when that happens

Code:
Sat Jan 17 01:37:35 sk3-mac.local MPlayer OSX Extended[198] <Info>: [ass] Glyph 0x54 not found, selecting one more font for (Batavia, 200, 0)
Sat Jan 17 01:37:35 sk3-mac.local MPlayer OSX Extended[198] <Info>: [ass] Glyph 0x68 not found, selecting one more font for (Batavia, 200, 0)
Sat Jan 17 01:37:35 sk3-mac.local MPlayer OSX Extended[198] <Info>: [ass] Glyph 0x65 not found, selecting one more font for (Batavia, 200, 0)
Sat Jan 17 01:37:35 sk3-mac.local MPlayer OSX Extended[198] <Info>: [ass] Glyph 0x20 not found, selecting one more font for (Batavia, 200, 0)
Sat Jan 17 01:37:35 sk3-mac.local MPlayer OSX Extended[198] <Info>: [ass] Glyph 0x44 not found, selecting one more font for (Batavia, 200, 0)
Sat Jan 17 01:37:35 sk3-mac.local MPlayer OSX Extended[198] <Info>: [ass] Glyph 0x61 not found, selecting one more font for (Batavia, 200, 0)
Sat Jan 17 01:37:35 sk3-mac.local MPlayer OSX Extended[198] <Info>: [ass] Glyph 0x6E not found, selecting one more font for (Batavia, 200, 0)
Sat Jan 17 01:37:35 sk3-mac.local MPlayer OSX Extended[198] <Info>: [ass] Glyph 0x63 not found, selecting one more font for (Batavia, 200, 0)
Sat Jan 17 01:37:35 sk3-mac.local MPlayer OSX Extended[198] <Info>: [ass] Glyph 0x65 not found, selecting one more font for (Batavia, 200, 0)
Sat Jan 17 01:37:35 sk3-mac.local MPlayer OSX Extended[198] <Info>: [ass] Glyph 0x20 not found, selecting one more font for (Batavia, 200, 0)
Sat Jan 17 01:37:35 sk3-mac.local MPlayer OSX Extended[198] <Info>: [ass] Glyph 0x6F not found, selecting one more font for (Batavia, 200, 0)
Sat Jan 17 01:37:35 sk3-mac.local MPlayer OSX Extended[198] <Info>: [ass] Glyph 0x66 not found, selecting one more font for (Batavia, 200, 0)
Sat Jan 17 01:37:35 sk3-mac.local MPlayer OSX Extended[198] <Info>: [ass] Glyph 0x44 not found, selecting one more font for (Batavia, 200, 0)
Sat Jan 17 01:37:35 sk3-mac.local MPlayer OSX Extended[198] <Info>: [ass] Glyph 0x61 not found, selecting one more font for (Batavia, 200, 0)
Sat Jan 17 01:37:35 sk3-mac.local MPlayer OSX Extended[198] <Info>: [ass] Glyph 0x74 not found, selecting one more font for (Batavia, 200, 0)
Sat Jan 17 01:37:35 sk3-mac.local MPlayer OSX Extended[198] <Info>: [ass] Glyph 0x68 not found, selecting one more font for (Batavia, 200, 0)
Might be some problem with a common library from mplayer and VLC, because Perian and MPC on windows works fine.

Here are some pictures of the problem:

Mplayer:

Perian

Old 2009-01-16, 20:58   Link #128
sk3

Well with further investigation, i found that the BATAVIA.ttf font file cannot be read under mac os x.

I can see the characters well under windows, but i can't see them under OS X. I'll try to clean the font cache to see if works.

UPDATE: done cleaning, problem persists. I suppose that this is a problem of the font itself, but somehow, under Perian and Windows, it defaults to Arial (i think) and shows the text.

With further check on the log, i found that VLC also showed the same message as Mplayer, so it's not a corruption problem i guess. Perian shows the text even if it's not the same font.

Any ideas?

Last edited by sk3; 2009-01-16 at 21:09.
Old 2009-01-22, 14:44   Link #129
Utils
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeru View Post
I don't see why your computer wouldn't be able to play 1280x720 MKVs. My MacBook Pro does it all the time. I have even pushed it to doing 1280x720 @ 60fps.

I have a 2.4GHz Core2 Duo with 4GB DDR2 667MHz SDRAM and it runs it like a champ. Even when I had 2GB of RAM it was fine. [/attempted hijack]
Are you talking about my PC or My Mac? The PC can't play them without bitching the Mac plays them fine.
Old 2009-01-26, 22:18   Link #130
greenskye

I love this program, best option available for a mac (at least for those that can't figure out how to compile mplayer by themselves)

I like the new hover window in fullscreen that shows a time bar, but I was just wondering if there's a way to change how long it stays around? I'd really like to reduce the time to like 2 secs or so, just long enough for me to change something and then go back to watching. Anyway to accomplish this?

I'm using Rev. 8 btw (i think the window is new to this rev. but just adding for clarity)
Old 2009-01-31, 00:32   Link #131
exs120
Uruchai Uruchai Uruchai

I have rev. 8 and I was wondering if there was any way to increase video sharpness. What command line options would I need to use? Also, as a suggestion if it's possible, adding a sharpness slider to the video equalizer to future revisions would be a great addition. Thanks for the help.
Old 2009-02-02, 23:58   Link #132
LordMelkor

nice everything seems to be working nicely!

However I have had some problem's with displaying softsubs, this is probably an issue with MPlayer itself I thought I'd mention it here. It seems like MPlayer is having trouble with line-breaks.

MPlayer displays the following:
Code:
Dialogue: 0,0:07:50.40,0:07:56.12,Copy of Credits,caption,0000,0000,0000,,{\pos(635,570)\fad(1200,900)}Gyaro                                                          Tansui                                                                                                                                                                              Macro
as what appears in this screenshot:
Spoiler:

However, in Windows, MPC displays it correctly as:
Spoiler:

Any insights?

Last edited by LordMelkor; 2009-02-03 at 02:16.
Old 2009-02-15, 03:11   Link #133
Takeru
Jag äter idioter
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utils View Post
Are you talking about my PC or My Mac? The PC can't play them without bitching the Mac plays them fine.
My apologies. I thought you were talking about the same computer. (Seeing how a Mac is technically a PC as well)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMelkor View Post
Spoiler for space:
Just from a wild guess, I would say it has to do with the massive number of spaces in that line.

EDIT: On second glance, it appears the issue is indeed with the spaces. From the looks of it, the sub group attempted to do all the names with one line of code instead of cutting it into three. So it appears that a font or something in MPlayer isn't the same size or setting as it is in MPC, thus causing your misalignment.

Last edited by Takeru; 2009-02-15 at 03:24.
Old 2009-02-21, 14:30   Link #134
jalapeno

Quote:
Development on the MPlayer OSX frontend hasn't been very active and after putting my nose int the source I just couldn't resist doing something about it.
That's great, thank you! Here's why I'll still use a Platypus bundle of the CLI version built from SVN:

* fullscreen window cannot be hidden
* moving the mouse with the fullscreen window in the background (no focus) shows the HUD (VLC used to do this, too)

I tried rev8.

Now I only have to get behind the CLI's fullscreen window occasionally resizing to show the menubar...
Old 2009-03-01, 20:49   Link #135
Flare_Dragon

I think I found a glitch or a bug.

If you select multiple items. (I did with 2 and then more than two .Avi files)
and play on Mplayer OX extended, you can't activate any buttons (On the menu bar OR on the player) and you can't exit out of the program.

You can click out of the program and then go into the apple to force quit though
Old 2009-03-02, 14:33   Link #136
LordMelkor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeru View Post
Just from a wild guess, I would say it has to do with the massive number of spaces in that line.

EDIT: On second glance, it appears the issue is indeed with the spaces. From the looks of it, the sub group attempted to do all the names with one line of code instead of cutting it into three. So it appears that a font or something in MPlayer isn't the same size or setting as it is in MPC, thus causing your misalignment.
Ya that turned out to be the case.

On another note, will MPlayer Extended be updated to have options to support the new stuff introduced in MPlayer (listed on the mplayer webpage recently). Such as FFmpeg-mt?

Edit: my bad I missed this bit:
Quote:
@sk3

Hopefully someone will pick up the torch after you.
Old 2009-03-02, 17:04   Link #137
anime_layer
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via ICQ to anime_layer
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMelkor View Post
Hopefully someone will pick up the torch after you.
^^' That meant the final version of rev8. I never sait I wouldn't make a rev9...
It's just that I'm busy with other things and haven't been able to put much work into mplayer.

I have mplayer compiled with ffmpeg-mt and it's great for 1080p on my quad-core Phenom. I'm not sure how I should go about integrating this into Extended. I've been thinking about an update mechanism for the mplayer binary which would let users (a) update and (b) switch it out with experimental builds. I'll have to look into that.
Old 2009-03-02, 18:02   Link #138
sk3

I'm trying to compile a mplayer ffmpeg-mt enabled version on my mac atm and will post it here for everyone to test it

@anime_layer:
"I have mplayer compiled with ffmpeg-mt and it's great for 1080p on my quad-core Phenom"

Judging by this you're using a hackintosh

Did you use the "normal" parameters and the instructions on mplayer site to build your version?

I always compile following your last tutorial so i don't make any mistakes since i'm still not a "pro at compiling" :P

UPDATE1:

As promised, here it is the mplayer ffmpeg-mt compiled version. I don't know it's svn revision so i'll just drop it here

If you don't watch 1080p files it's not worth doing this!

http://localhostr.com/files/8608e0/mplayer.zip

To use this build with mplayer os x extended you need to do the following:

1. Open Applications folder, right click or ctrl + click Mplayer OS X Extended and choose Show Package Contents.
2. Then, open Contents folder, Resources, External_Binaries and right click (or ctrl + click) mplayer.app and choose Show Package Contents again.
3. Again, open Contents folder, MacOS, and rename the old mplayer file to mplayer-old.
4. Drag the new mplayer to this folder, and you should have 2 files in it, mplayer and mplayer-old.

I don't advise to delete the original but you can always re-download Mplayer OS X Extended if something fails

Next you need to edit some preferences on Mplayer OS X Extended:

Open Mplayer OS X Extended, go to Mplayer OS X menu, and choose Preferences. In the advanced tab, insert the following under Additional Parameters.

-lavdopts threads=2

If you have a dual core CPU choose insert 2 at the end, if you have a quad-core you should insert 4 i think.

Your advanced preferences should look like this:

Test any HD h264 you have and see if it works for you. It did for me. the next pic was taken during a 1080p playback on my Macbook Pro 3,1 with a Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 @ 2.4Ghz

This is experimental!! it may crash Mplayer OS X Extended. At least on my system it didn't crash once.

Enjoy your 1080p files without lagging

Last edited by sk3; 2009-03-02 at 18:46.
Old 2009-03-02, 18:50   Link #139
sk3

Quote:
^^' That meant the final version of rev8. I never sait I wouldn't make a rev9...
It's just that I'm busy with other things and haven't been able to put much work into mplayer.

I have mplayer compiled with ffmpeg-mt and it's great for 1080p on my quad-core Phenom. I'm not sure how I should go about integrating this into Extended. I've been thinking about an update mechanism for the mplayer binary which would let users (a) update and (b) switch it out with experimental builds. I'll have to look into that.
Also i forgot to ask you, Isn't it possible to use both files like this:

You have 2 different builds of mplayer:
mplayer - normal build
mplayer-mt - optimized build

then you could put a preference with experimental warning like switching back from normal to optimized it would use a different file for render.

I guess it should be easy to understand for the user.
Old 2009-03-03, 19:12   Link #140
LordMelkor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk3 View Post
I'm trying to compile a mplayer ffmpeg-mt enabled version on my mac atm and will post it here for everyone to test it

UPDATE1:

As promised, here it is the mplayer ffmpeg-mt compiled version. I don't know it's svn revision so i'll just drop it here

If you don't watch 1080p files it's not worth doing this!

http://localhostr.com/files/8608e0/mplayer.zip

To use this build with mplayer os x extended you need to do the following:

1. Open Applications folder, right click or ctrl + click Mplayer OS X Extended and choose Show Package Contents.
2. Then, open Contents folder, Resources, External_Binaries and right click (or ctrl + click) mplayer.app and choose Show Package Contents again.
3. Again, open Contents folder, MacOS, and rename the old mplayer file to mplayer-old.
4. Drag the new mplayer to this folder, and you should have 2 files in it, mplayer and mplayer-old.

I don't advise to delete the original but you can always re-download Mplayer OS X Extended if something fails

Next you need to edit some preferences on Mplayer OS X Extended:

Open Mplayer OS X Extended, go to Mplayer OS X menu, and choose Preferences. In the advanced tab, insert the following under Additional Parameters.

-lavdopts threads=2

If you have a dual core CPU choose insert 2 at the end, if you have a quad-core you should insert 4 i think.

Test any HD h264 you have and see if it works for you. It did for me. the next pic was taken during a 1080p playback on my Macbook Pro 3,1 with a Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 @ 2.4Ghz

This is experimental!! it may crash Mplayer OS X Extended. At least on my system it didn't crash once.

Enjoy your 1080p files without lagging
Didn't work for me :-/ (I'm on a Macbook Core (1) Duo, OSX 10.4). I guess I'll try compiling it myself tonight or something.

Tags
wiki candidate