AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-09-04, 00:02   Link #1021
Isekaijin

Someone send Hitsujikai back to the hentai doujinshi he came from!!

Ryoko needs to be more savvy. Is there anyone here who didn't distrust that Reiko girl since her appearance?
Isekaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-04, 00:30   Link #1022
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isekaijin View Post
Someone send Hitsujikai back to the hentai doujinshi he came from!!

Ryoko needs to be more savvy. Is there anyone here who didn't distrust that Reiko girl since her appearance?
I don't blame her, Reiko used the one story that she knows would reach Ryouko's soft spot, it could happen to anyone.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-04, 00:55   Link #1023
klare

go Ryoushi, save your girl! i mean save the girl u love!

and whats up with "Rikkun"? they surely have something going on
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-04, 01:41   Link #1024
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Having Watched Ookami-san up to Episode 4, but 4chan spoilered Ep 10 to me xDU

Can we count Ookami as a Faux Action Girl by now xD?

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-04, 04:07   Link #1025
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Location: Slightly south-west of the exact center of this country's X and Y axes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiyoshi View Post
PROTIP: When catching up to a show that's still airing, avoid places like that and marathon the episodes one after another.
Joe4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-04, 05:09   Link #1026
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Quote:

Oh yeah, most definitely... and I think this fact is a real pain
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-04, 08:47   Link #1027
ZeKeR
Superbad

something big will happen..... i can feel it
Old 2010-09-04, 19:39   Link #1028
Molenir

Think I'm just going to wait til the show is complete, then marathon em, rather then be annoyed by the slowly building character stupidity. Since I'm always annoyed by the evil villain type stories, thats really the only way to watch something like this.
Molenir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-04, 20:57   Link #1029
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molenir View Post
Think I'm just going to wait til the show is complete, then marathon em, rather then be annoyed by the slowly building character stupidity. Since I'm always annoyed by the evil villain type stories, thats really the only way to watch something like this.
It's just 2 more episodes so have fun with your ... marathon
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-04, 23:16   Link #1030
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waven View Post
It's just 2 more episodes so have fun with your ... marathon
Wait its only 2 more episodes till its over!?
Old 2010-09-04, 23:50   Link #1031
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Location: Slightly south-west of the exact center of this country's X and Y axes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Wait its only 2 more episodes till its over!?
Yes.

10char
Joe4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-05, 07:44   Link #1032
OkamiNoKaze

Well hopefully there will be a second series/season, I'm really liking it, there are so many popular and obscure fairy tails they could cover yet.
Old 2010-09-06, 21:16   Link #1033
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I'm listening to Hatsune Miku's "Romeo and Cinderella" and is having thoughts about it in a serious Ookami-san AMV.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-06, 21:50   Link #1034
Ravenblitz
|・ω・`)

Send a message via MSN to Ravenblitz
what's that random person powerup'ing Ryoushi he teach neko-fu?

next episode screams raep
Old 2010-09-07, 00:11   Link #1035
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Nice Ryouko pic:

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-07, 06:38   Link #1036
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
At first she looked like a action girl who can take care of herself... But now she looks completely useless. Definitely well fitting to the Faux Action Girl trope. A very weak character despite looking strong.

Usually it is said that tsunderes wear only strong fake cover but are vulnerable beyond it, but Ryoko is not just vulnerable she is a real useless in terms of action. Most of 'soft on the inside' tsundere's would wipe a floor with this damsel in distress.

I do wish that they would show she is capable to take care of herself from to time but it seems like she will be nothing but a Faux Action Girl.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-07, 06:45   Link #1037
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Er what? We've seen Ryouko beat up countless of people. We can clearly see that she knows how to handle herself.

Faux Action Girl refers to a girl who we're supposed to believe is good at fighting and isn't. She IS a weak person despite looking strong but for entirely different reasons. In this case, it's intentional and we're given a clear reason why she's like that. Faux Action Girls fail regardless of the circumstances and we're not given a good reason why. Ryouko didn't exactly expect the girl she trusted to back stab her like that. Why would she? Are you expceting her to be a mind reader or something? Did any of the Otogi Bank members fair any better? No.

So knock it off. She isn't a Faux Action Girl.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-07, 06:51   Link #1038
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Er what? We've seen Ryouko beat up countless of people. We can clearly see that she knows how to handle herself.

Faux Action Girl refers to a girl who we're supposed to believe is good at fighting and isn't. She IS a weak person despite looking strong but for entirely different reasons. In this case, it's intentional and we're given a clear reason why she's like that. Faux Action Girls fail regardless of the circumstances and we're not given a good reason why. Ryouko didn't exactly expect the girl she trusted to back stab her like that. Why would she? Are you expceting her to be a mind reader or something? Did any of the Otogi Bank members fair any better? No.

So knock it off. She isn't a Faux Action Girl.
Lovely. Sadly however, she fits the Faux Action Girl perfectly as she always need rescue in the end.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-07, 06:53   Link #1039
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

She needed to be rescued when a bunch of guys ganged up on her and had weapons whilst she was trying to protect Ryoushi who was seriously injured (and later proceeded to beat the shit out of said people when she was freed). She needed to be rescued when she faced the monster who molested her and made her life hell who she thought she got away from. She needed to be rescued when the person she helped and thought was a nice girl and had a backstory similar to hers and so sympathised with turned out to be a backstabber and electrocuted her. Oh yeah, she's sooo weak. If it were you were, you'd probably be dead by now.

Did you even read the trope article? It says quite clearly "The key is the disproportionate hype". Where was the hype for Ryouko? Wer've been shown countless times that Ryouko is a weak person inside. It's a massive plot point. It's the key aspect of her freaking character. If you've been hyped up to believe that Ryouko will be succeding in this area when the anime has been constantly pounding the message that the whole point of this show is that Ryouko eventually overcomes her emotional issue (which naturally involves it being a problem for her) then you clearly haven't been paying attention. How the hell is the hype disproportionate?

She does not fit the trope perfectly. It doesn't even apply to her at all.

Last edited by Haak; 2010-09-07 at 07:14.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-07, 09:22   Link #1040
KROMEangel
Baby Got Back

Tsundere, Faux Action Girl;

I don't use tropes to define characters. If they happen to fall under a certain category, fine, that's incidental.
But when you have to cram a character into a into a specific archetype then I think yo'lul lose sight of other character aspects.

Let's lay out what we got; Ryouko puts on a tough girl act. Why? A trauma pushed her to create a barrier between her and other people, and a tough persona helps that. Granted, she can punch out a few dudes, but she's no expert brawler; she only knows some boxing.

Behind that barrier, she's still the girl as the one we saw during the flashbacks and amnesia time; except hurt and betrayed. No way would she want to be the same gullible person and go through that again.

But hey, guess what? This guy named Ryoushi comes along and brings in some familiar old feelings she used to have. Constant berating and punches is her response ("tsundere"); we know what happened the last time she fell in love.
Her roughness is a defense. Some can see right through it, like Ringo and Ryoushi. Others take it as legitimate badassery. She's dangerous, but not cold-hearted. She glares people away, but she will feed a bunch of stray cats and water some plants; she will never admit though, because that past persona of hers led somewhere bad.

So getting captured is no big surprise; or rather its bound to happen, if you mess around with dangerous thugs. She may have that "don't mess with me" attitude, but she isn't a complete delinquent like these guys. (Your "Faux Action Girl")

Which is why I can't wait to see this white-haired bastard get kicked in the face and punched in the balls. Whatever he did (though its pretty obvious by now) it was enough to cause a complete personality change.
KROMEangel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, romance, shounen