AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-07-11, 10:08   Link #41
james0246

^I don't think it's really fair to throw Togashi into the mix. He's such an outlying piece of data that he skews all perception. (If anything, the little graphic proved to me that Kishimoto and Kubo should have more breaks, they could only help them at this stage .)

That being said, Oda produces a quality product in a consistent manner for over a decade, so he is more than deserving of extra leeway in regards to breaks (whether they be work breaks or actual vacation time).

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
He said he wanted 'Monet's help' with something..and he looked pretty serious about it. Then again Law always looks pretty serious.
I thought he was only trying to get Monet out of the lab so Chopper could make an antidote for the kids?
Old 2012-07-11, 16:06   Link #42
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

Chapter 674
That was not a bad chapter. Brown Beard showing up was shocking and disappointing for the Cool Brothers. This is whole things is turning out to be one giant gladiatorial ring. Smoker (If he gets his body back), Strawhats, Law, the new weapon, Monet, CC, and Vergo. Everyone in the New World gets to watch. I wonder what the match up is going to be like. I can't help but wonder if the Marines are intercepting the transmission has well? To think they would let this happen so close to their HQ. On the last page I can Identify Kidd and Big Mamma's crew, but who is that person on the lower right and who is the guy smoking the cigar?
Old 2012-07-11, 20:39   Link #43
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
who is that person on the lower right and who is the guy smoking the cigar?
In b4 Kaidou
Old 2012-07-11, 21:47   Link #44
ntherblast

Looks like kid is missing his left eye?
Old 2012-07-12, 02:26   Link #45
nicepace
The congueror Of The EAST

Looks like there is something on Vergo face.. *it's a spoon or something
Old 2012-07-12, 03:58   Link #46
DawnEmperor

For some reason, Nami's defensiveness of the children seemed to aggravate me a bit in this chapter(I mean, how else are they going to keep them under control).
Old 2012-07-12, 09:43   Link #47
marvelB

^That depends, I guess. We don't know for sure if a Pacifista-level cyborg can destroy seastone. Still, Zoro's group is on their way to the lab, so they should be able to do something about those chains (heck, maybe even Chopper could do something about it since he hasn't been captured yet).....

BTW, something amusing that I didn't notice before was that Usopp's Firebird Star shrunk to the size of a little chick when Caesar nullified his attack! And going back to those NW pirates shown at the end of the chapter: At first I thought that the long-haired guy at the lower-right panel was Hawkins, but then I recalled that he doesn't keep his sword sheathed on his back (and we already saw his post-skip design, whom still had the sword sheathed at his hips), so I guess he is a new guy (I still think the dude with the cigar may be Kaidou, though).....
Old 2012-07-12, 10:42   Link #48
golgo13

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that the person with the cigar is not Kaidou, unless that is the Yonkou Law wants to take out or we don't see this character again for a long time.
Old 2012-07-12, 11:13   Link #49
Kona
Banned

Good chapter more Supernova being introduced again. I wonder how Luffy and co will escape.
Old 2012-07-12, 13:28   Link #50
james0246

In retrospect, I was kind of hoping that Franky would have developed some sort of internal air supply in case of emergencies. But, considering he was also taken out, I guess our cybernetic friend never considered he would run out of oxygen when traveling the sea .
Old 2012-07-13, 06:27   Link #51
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
If anything, the little graphic proved to me that Kishimoto and Kubo should have more breaks, they could only help them at this stage .

That being said, Oda produces a quality product in a consistent manner for over a decade, so he is more than deserving of extra leeway in regards to breaks (whether they be work breaks or actual vacation time).
i couldn't agree more. whenever oda takes one of his breaks, some readers would say that he's slacking since kishi and kubo almost never take personal breaks aside from the usual magazine breaks for holidays and stuff. but if you really think about it, taking a break or two actually helps these super busy manga authors unwind and get their creative juices flowing again. maintaining a long-running series for several years is no joke. the stress, deadlines, pressure from editors, competition from other series, can get pretty tiresome after a while. sure i'd miss reading op during one of these breaks but i actually understand why oda has to do it. he deserves some time for himself and his family. kishi and kubo need more breaks considering how their series have suffered quality-wise over the years.

Last edited by ronin myael; 2012-07-13 at 06:47.
Old 2012-07-13, 13:25   Link #52
marvelB

Yeah, I also agree that Oda is deserving of his breaks. And that's all I'm going to say on that matter lest I get caught up in yet another debate on Oda's work ethics.
Old 2012-07-13, 13:33   Link #53
itachi-san314

^ heh, nothing to debate I would think... these mangakas work like crazy. anyone who doesn't want them to take breaks is just being selfish and unreasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin myael View Post
kishi and kubo need more breaks considering how their series have suffered quality-wise over the years.
that said, it doesn't necessarily mean that mangas like bleach and naruto would have improved much if kubo and kishimoto took more breaks. they still would have had the same bad storylines of fullbring and the first part of the 4th ninja war. those events were in their plans for a long time. i assume minor benefits like more detailed artwork and better dialogue would happen, but let's face it, bleach would still suck
Old 2012-07-13, 15:06   Link #54
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
When he was working on Strong World, he had seven breaks that year.
He had eight breaks the following year, but that was largely due to the four weeks break of time skip.

This year he's working on even more projects such as film Z, stage play, etc.
I expect his breaks to be 8~10 this year.

OP   Naruto   Bleach   HxH
1997   0 * * *
1998   0     *       *       3
1999   0     0       *       15
2000   0     2       *      13
2001   1     2       0      16
2002   2     3       0      18   
2003   3     1       0      10
2004   3     3       2      26
2005   3     3       2      17
2006   4     1       0      44
2007   4     1       0      40
2008   4     2       1      28
2009   7     1       1      47
2010   8     3       3      28
2011   5     0       1      31
Makes me wonder how many breaks Oda will be taking for the arc with the final battle that is said to be more epic than Marineford. Seeing as film Z will be more epic than Strong World, I would estimate 12 breaks for Oda this year.

In other news, does anyone know when Naruto will enter its final arc? I know Bleach has reached its final arc some time ago meaning that story won't be as long as One Piece or Naruto. If Naruto does reach its final arc, I hope it involves salvation against the Ten-Tailed Beast.

I don't know how popular HxH is, but that series seems to take the most breaks each year which can't be very productive, and I have experience on being lazy.
Old 2012-07-13, 20:04   Link #55
Kona
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
Makes me wonder how many breaks Oda will be taking for the arc with the final battle that is said to be more epic than Marineford. Seeing as film Z will be more epic than Strong World, I would estimate 12 breaks for Oda this year.

In other news, does anyone know when Naruto will enter its final arc? I know Bleach has reached its final arc some time ago meaning that story won't be as long as One Piece or Naruto. If Naruto does reach its final arc, I hope it involves salvation against the Ten-Tailed Beast.

I don't know how popular HxH is, but that series seems to take the most breaks each year which can't be very productive, and I have experience on being lazy.
Yeah HXH used to be very active years ago but it stopped now. Going on breaks.
Old 2012-07-13, 20:47   Link #56
ellifeedn
Thinker

We have a creepy looking guy with horns telling children he will give them candy if they go on his balloon ride. I'm surprised no one's commented on this.
Old 2012-07-13, 22:30   Link #57
Mateus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
We have a creepy looking guy with horns telling children he will give them candy if they go on his balloon ride. I'm surprised no one's commented on this.
Marvel mentioned a few chapters back that CC looks more like a "Naruto" villain, so I assume that there would be some comparison between Clown and Orochimaru (who also 'likes' children).
Old 2012-07-14, 00:03   Link #58
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin myael View Post
i couldn't agree more. whenever oda takes one of his breaks, some readers would say that he's slacking since kishi and kubo almost never take personal breaks aside from the usual magazine breaks for holidays and stuff. but if you really think about it, taking a break or two actually helps these super busy manga authors unwind and get their creative juices flowing again. maintaining a long-running series for several years is no joke. the stress, deadlines, pressure from editors, competition from other series, can get pretty tiresome after a while. sure i'd miss reading op during one of these breaks but i actually understand why oda has to do it. he deserves some time for himself and his family. kishi and kubo need more breaks considering how their series have suffered quality-wise over the years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
^ heh, nothing to debate I would think... these mangakas work like crazy. anyone who doesn't want them to take breaks is just being selfish and unreasonable.

that said, it doesn't necessarily mean that mangas like bleach and naruto would have improved much if kubo and kishimoto took more breaks. they still would have had the same bad storylines of fullbring and the first part of the 4th ninja war. those events were in their plans for a long time. i assume minor benefits like more detailed artwork and better dialogue would happen, but let's face it, bleach would still suck
Oda's breaks are due to the fact he is more actively involved in outside projects such as the film and stage.
It does not mean he simply gets more rest than the other two.

Also,
Quote:
these mangakas work like crazy
Except Togashi and Hagiwara.

By the way, Akimoto currently holds the title of the longest consecutive running serialization without a single break in history.
Kochikame, despite having over 1700 chapters and running in Jump for 36 years, has never had a break.
He has a complete studio churning out manga like a machine, and has months in advance of stock chapters.

Dude's a living legend though, not a mere mortal.
Old 2012-07-14, 09:15   Link #59
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Except Togashi and Hagiwara.

LOL, that reminds me, hasn't Bastard been on hiatus for like..... 2 or 3 years now? But yeah, Hagiwara's actually WORSE than Togashi in that regard (he ain't known as Lazy Hagiwara for nothin').
Old 2012-07-16, 09:38   Link #60
marvelB

Just bumping to put out a quick reminder:

REMEMBER, THERE IS NO OP CHAPTER THIS WEEK.

Which means we'll have to make do with other series this week. But don't worry, as there shall be a new chapter thread by next Wednesday.....
Closed Thread