AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-08-30, 20:01   Link #81
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I am glad you post here. It confirms what we already know and what we are up against.
"we"...

(wait)

dude... are you even American?

I recall you're from Taiwan... possibly ready to flip and become CCP mainland sympathizer in case shit gets real in the USA (cue in one of the famous cinematography from Bad Boys 2)

Heck I commend your for really, really keeping up with the macro situation here and giving insights as if you live here
Old 2012-08-30, 20:10   Link #82
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

^Given the impact of the action of the USA on the rest of the world, I would say than this election is a cause of concern for more than only the population of the US. I am Canadian and many decission than will be made int he net 4 years will have a great impact on my country, directly and indirectly. A Romney victory will be a bad thing for pretty much eveyone ( unless you are part of the 0.1% ) US citizens or not.

Quote:
I can't stop you living in a fantasy. I just wish your country doesn't have nuclear weapons; I would trust Iran with nukes more than the GOP at the moment.
At least a nuclear Iran would have some deterent force agianst it, while a GOP win would only have a democrate senate, if the dem don't lose the majority.
Old 2012-08-30, 20:49   Link #83
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
"we"...

(wait)

dude... are you even American?

I recall you're from Taiwan... possibly ready to flip and become CCP mainland sympathizer in case shit gets real in the USA (cue in one of the famous cinematography from Bad Boys 2)

Heck I commend your for really, really keeping up with the macro situation here and giving insights as if you live here
People like me go to a lot of places.

Frankly the GOP can't be counted on to protect Taiwan anymore. Too many GOP donors have factories in China now.

As for insights "as if I live there"... In case you still don't realise, your screwups affect the rest of us. Like in Australia where I am now. I don't WANT to care about America and your insane policies, but we outsiders don't have a choice. We get messed up when your guys go insane.
Old 2012-08-30, 21:01   Link #84
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
See that scoreboard that HuffPost keeps in their front page? Take a last good look @ it and savor it while it lasts cause the end game is already called by UC... it will be like ENIAC called it for IKE!

Dude, if you knew better, you wouldn't be cheering on the GOP.
Old 2012-08-30, 21:09   Link #85
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The funny thing about the Clint Eastwood speech (he's an Eisenhower "liberal" Republican) is that he has spent over half his speech skewering the GOP nutcases.
Old 2012-08-30, 21:14   Link #86
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Dude, if you knew better, you wouldn't be cheering on the GOP.
What scares me is that Flying genuinely think that the presidential election has no relevance internationally...

If Americans vote POTUS like supporting a football game, I will have trouble sleeping at night even more than I already do now.

Look, Flying, you might be surprised that every freaky thing the GOP does is broadcasted internationally. And that even if your National media doesn't fact-check, the rest of us DO. And we are watching a nuclear power having election rallies resembling Country Fairs and tell blatant lies. Please take your vote seriously.
Old 2012-08-30, 21:19   Link #87
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Sounds more like a dream you had. Are you sure it wasn't a dream you had? Or was the dream merely believing it would come to pass?
No, despite flying's inability to comment without sounding like a kid, the University of Colorado staticians have 'shown' that Romney will win (they have a "perfect" track record for the past 70 years). Though...there are other equally certifiable staticians that have said the opposite.

That being said, Clint Eastwood just finished speaking and it was one of the silliest and saddest speeches I have seen in quite awhile. Words cannot describe how sad Eastwood was.

Btw, did Rubio just declare war on Cuba? And then start quoting Pink's "Fucking Special".
Old 2012-08-30, 21:24   Link #88
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

You know things are bad when Fox News calls a Republican a Liar.

Personally, I'd love to play devil's advocate here and try to debate in favour of the republicans, but I can't think of anything (and I'm usually pretty good at that kind of thing).

The only thing I have is that the republicans seem a lot better at pushing through legislation then the democrats are...
Old 2012-08-30, 21:24   Link #89
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The funny thing about the Clint Eastwood speech (he's an Eisenhower "liberal" Republican) is that he has spent over half his speech skewering the GOP nutcases.
Let me guess... He talked about the greatness of the Republican Party that he remembered in his youth, and acted like it still exists?
Old 2012-08-30, 22:22   Link #90
james0246

Romney's speech was okay. The first half was quite good, even, dare I say, sentimental. The second half, though was straight out of the Cold War with it's saber rattling and anti-science. This strange disparity really messed with the rhetorical flow of the speech and made the earlier sentimental parts seem insincere. Easily the best speech of Romney's political career.
Old 2012-08-30, 22:27   Link #91
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

At Tampa convention, cheerleaders and tequila are serious business
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...87T05N20120830
Quote:
Voters watching the Republican National Convention may see Mitt Romney, Paul Ryan and other party standard bearers on their television sets, but they don't get to sip tequila with NFL cheerleaders.
They don't get to swat line drives at Tropicana Field, home to baseball's Tampa Bay Rays. They won't get in to the yacht parties, beach parties and cigar parties that await delegates outside the convention hall.
In short, TV viewers are missing out on the real business of Tampa. At a swirl of breakfast briefings, luncheons and late-night blowouts, Republican politicians and delegates can forge tighter ties with the business interests and wealthy donors who underwrite the party.
Donors face few limits on the amount of money they can give to the convention. Interest groups and trade associations also are paying for many of the 200 events scheduled in the Tampa area this week.
A PARTY GOES AWRY

A similar event on Wednesday proved embarrassing for the Romney campaign.

According to ABC News, Romney officials met with top donors aboard a 150-foot (45-meter) yacht that was flying the flag of the Cayman Islands - the offshore tax haven that has served as a home for some of Romney's $200 million-plus fortune.
"Some advance staffer is going to lose his job over that," said a Romney supporter who did not want to be identified.
Old 2012-08-31, 00:08   Link #92
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Let me guess... He talked about the greatness of the Republican Party that he remembered in his youth, and acted like it still exists?
No, that was the sad part james alluded to.... it was more like a last hurrah for a party he didn't recognize any more. He threw away whatever speech they may have written and just ad libbed for 10 minutes pointing out that Dems are Americans, too, as well as a number of things that went over the crowd's head. All they wanted him to say (and they yelled it repeatedly) was "Make My Day." (which is ironic because Clint intended to portray someone out of control and has said it is a mistake to lionize Dirty Harry).
Old 2012-08-31, 00:17   Link #93
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
No, that was the sad part james alluded to.... it was more like a last hurrah for a party he didn't recognize any more. He threw away whatever speech they may have written and just ad libbed for 10 minutes pointing out that Dems are Americans, too, as well as a number of things that went over the crowd's head. All they wanted him to say (and they yelled it repeatedly) was "Make My Day." (which is ironic because Clint intended to portray someone out of control and has said it is a mistake to lionize Dirty Harry).
That's worse than I imagined. So he was trying to make a difference, but in the end the crowd wasn't there to listen to him to begin with. The crowd wanted the caricature, and had no respect for the human behind the role.

I thought Eastwood sold out. But you told me it was the reverse; he was trying to pull the crowd back on the right track. Pity then that he had less influence than he hoped.
Old 2012-08-31, 00:23   Link #94
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I doubt he sold out. Eastwood sounded and sounds like a very reasonable and intelligent man IRL.
Old 2012-08-31, 00:26   Link #95
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The way I read his mood, by the end of the speech he'd given up.
Old 2012-08-31, 02:17   Link #96
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Top 5 Fibs In Paul Ryan’s Convention Speech
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2...ch.php?ref=fpa
hey... let's say how about we fact-check these so-called fact-checkers?
Old 2012-08-31, 02:44   Link #97
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
Facts are biased opinion ya know

Although I find it funny how everyone agree's with the fact checkers...when it says something that will help their party.

You know what's sad, when The Onion runs articles with title's like "Valiant Fact-Checkers Once Again Save American Political System From Descending Into Corruption" I can't help but be torn between laughing and tearing up.

Anyways poor Clint Eastwood...the Republican Party today needs a wake-up call like the Dems had in the 80's.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Old 2012-08-31, 03:46   Link #98
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
That... didn't help your case. Did you actually read it?

Short summary: most fact-checks by them are basically true but with expanded qualifiers. One or two items actually got an "errrr, halfway". I also note only Slate and ThinkProgress were examined (neither of which is known as a balanced fact-check source). Where's Politifact analysis, for example?
Old 2012-08-31, 04:22   Link #99
Jmac
Sharing my world thru art
*Artist

For everyone living in other countries, I'll let you inside the mind of a US voter (me). For me and for some other people I know, so I know I'm not the only one here that thinks the same way, when electing the president is pretty much picking the lesser of two evils. Quite frankly I wouldn't vote for the current candidates on the ballot or will be in come time November.
Old 2012-08-31, 04:28   Link #100
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
For everyone living in other countries, I'll let you inside the mind of a US voter (me). For me and for some other people I know, so I know I'm not the only one here that thinks the same way, when electing the president is pretty much picking the lesser of two evils. Quite frankly I wouldn't vote for the current candidates on the ballot or will be in come time November.
Actually, to not vote means you don't actually care if either candidates win... So you won't be protesting, you just don't think it matters.

So can you honestly say it is fine if Romney is your next president?

Because here in Australia, I think it matters who you end up with. Obama is a great old-school Republican President (despite the D next to his name). While Romney doesn't stand for anything despite calling himself a Republican. So technically it is true that you are voting between two Republicans, but in reality it is between a Republican and someone who has no identity whatsoever.