AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2008-01-11, 14:40   Link #281
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
@CrowKenobi: many thanks.... of course, this is one reason I never get better at avvies or sigs.... the pros are always faster

Thanks!

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-11, 14:41   Link #282
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
The translations of the title are pretty varied. The Japanese "Ookami to Koushinryou" means literally "Wolf and Spice(s)". I think the idea is that Wolf is Horo and Spices is Lawrence.

But the official site gives an English subtitle of "Spice and Wolf," so that's what the English anime world is using. And there are Chinese sub groups giving it a subtitle of "Spicy Wolf" or "Spicy and Wolf."

I think "Spice and Wolf" is a good official standard, but "spicy wolf" describes Horo pretty well. Reminds me of Shugo Chara, where the heroine Amu is "cool and spicy."
I can see how the producers rendered Spice and Wolf. My japanese instructors always work backwards in sentence deconstruction when going from english to japanese. I tend to read ookamitokoushinryou as 'Wolf and Spice' but whatever... she's certainly a spicy little wolf
Quote:
On 2channel, they are only on their fourth thread (3000+ posts), but reaction to Amisuke's performance is almost uniformly positive. One guy did say that he felt her voice was not sexy enough, but he liked the performance anyway. Another said this proved how skillful she is as a VA.

For comparison, Gunslinger Girl 2 is on its ninth thread; true tears on its sixth; H20, Shigofumi, Rosario and Kimiaru on their 5th. But this show must have some special popularity: it already has an anti- thread. Posters there are mainly saying that the manga is un-anime-izeable, that it will be boring, and that the voices are unsuitable for the characters, especially Fukuyama Jun's voice.
O those wacky dysfunctional 2ch'ers.
Old 2008-01-11, 14:45   Link #283
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
I would like to claim this for possible use here and maybe elsewhere, if I may.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-11, 14:47   Link #284
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
I would like to claim this for possible use here and maybe elsewhere, if I may.
Claim away, it's all yours!

Old 2008-01-11, 14:52   Link #285
Westlo
Lets be reality

Crow is the man

Edit:

Quote:
I hoped earlier that this could become a signature role for Koshimizu Ami. Based on the first episode, and reaction to it both here and on 2channel, it looks as if that might be happening.

On 2channel, they are only on their fourth thread (3000+ posts), but reaction to Amisuke's performance is almost uniformly positive. One guy did say that he felt her voice was not sexy enough, but he liked the performance anyway. Another said this proved how skillful she is as a VA.

For comparison, Gunslinger Girl 2 is on its ninth thread; true tears on its sixth; H20, Shigofumi, Rosario and Kimiaru on their 5th. But this show must have some special popularity: it already has an anti- thread. Posters there are mainly saying that the manga is un-anime-izeable, that it will be boring, and that the voices are unsuitable for the characters, especially Fukuyama Jun's voice.
Just curious what role of Ami's is your favorite, I personally like her Anemone the best but I doubt I've heard as much of her work as you have. Also it's interesting to see the difference in popularity between 2ch and the western fansub scene.

Last edited by Westlo; 2008-01-11 at 15:03.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-11, 15:05   Link #286
Sparrow1770
Avian Member

Quote:
But the official site gives an English subtitle of "Spice and Wolf," so that's what the English anime world is using. And there are Chinese sub groups giving it a subtitle of "Spicy Wolf" or "Spicy and Wolf."
Well the official website is spicy-wolf.com... and besides I just like calling it Spicy Wolf.

I just love this pic:
Quote:
Her wide eyed wonder seems fitting, when you consider she's been cooped up in that tiny little town all this time. This is her first chance in a long time to get out and see the world.
Sparrow1770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-11, 15:07   Link #287
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
I can see how the producers rendered Spice and Wolf. My japanese instructors always work backwards in sentence deconstruction when going from english to japanese. I tend to read ookamitokoushinryou as 'Wolf and Spice' but whatever... she's certainly a spicy little wolf
Funny...because whenever I type the title of the series, I always put the wolf part before the spice as well
Aww...so much horo love in this thread ^_^

Spoiler for cold and spicy:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-11, 15:23   Link #288
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Some more quick Horo avys and one sig:

All for the taking!
If alright would like to grab the sig. Really great work on this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Funny...because whenever I type the title of the series, I always put the wolf part before the spice as well
Aww...so much horo love in this thread ^_^

Spoiler for cold and spicy:
Hmm maybe why she went and grabbed those clothes once they set out . Can't stay out in the cold without taking some action.

Yeah Wolf and Spice just has a good ring to me, but don't think it's a big deal which way it's pronounced.
Old 2008-01-11, 15:27   Link #289
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quickly going over the first 2 manga chapters I have to say it's a pity they didn't include the "Please be gentle" scene when Horo asks Lawrence to touch her wolf's paw so he knows he's not hallucinating.

Spoiler:

BTW anyone want to start a manga thread for this when the next chapter comes out or whatever?
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-11, 15:34   Link #290
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

I don't know how to properly start threads (with images and info and all), but I'll be in the thread attempting to represent #Moob if one shows up. And if one doesn't, I guess I'll make a very ugly thread first post.
Old 2008-01-11, 16:51   Link #291
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
If alright would like to grab the sig. Really great work on this one.
Go ahead! and thanks!

Do you need your name on it?

Old 2008-01-11, 16:54   Link #292
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Go ahead! and thanks!

Do you need your name on it?

Oh sure if it's not much trouble, thanks again for letting me use it.

And Westlo, that's a pretty moe moment there. Just shows how great a character Horo is going to be .
Old 2008-01-11, 16:55   Link #293
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
...Just curious what role of Ami's is your favorite, I personally like her Anemone the best but I doubt I've heard as much of her work as you have. Also it's interesting to see the difference in popularity between 2ch and the western fansub scene.
Actually, you probably have seen as much as I have -- I haven't seen a lot of Eureka7, School Rumble, or Mai-Otome, for instance -- but anyway, I can't say I have a favorite, but the role that got me paying attention to her was Tenko in Kamisama Kazoku. Just as with Myself;Yourself, the show seemed to come alive whenever she spoke. It was as if the brightness suddenly increased.

I also liked her a lot as the Chairman in the full-length version of Kujibiki Unbalance, especially in the later episodes. And she was like a flash of vividness in Asatte no Houkou, as the cousin Kotomi. She was good in Code Geass and Simoun, but neither of those roles spoke to me as strongly.

By the way, I just posted a piece on Ami in my blog. It's more about her and her friends than about her work, though.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-11, 17:04   Link #294
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Quickly going over the first 2 manga chapters I have to say it's a pity they didn't include the "Please be gentle" scene when Horo asks Lawrence to touch her wolf's paw so he knows he's not hallucinating.

Spoiler:

BTW anyone want to start a manga thread for this when the next chapter comes out or whatever?
Aye, I was missing that moment as well, though I suppose it makes sense if they plan on making her first onscreen transformation more dramatic.

Its actually kind of interesting that he's able to think of her in terms other than "monster" but I suppose the story would be real short if she'd hopped a ride with someone less intellectual than Lawrence. His differentiation between "girl possessed by demon" versus "oh, you're actually a local goddess/kami" was interestingly deft. One requires a trip to the priest for exorcism, the other is "lets get coffee, eh?"
Old 2008-01-11, 17:25   Link #295
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Aye, I was missing that moment as well, though I suppose it makes sense if they plan on making her first onscreen transformation more dramatic.

Its actually kind of interesting that he's able to think of her in terms other than "monster" but I suppose the story would be real short if she'd hopped a ride with someone less intellectual than Lawrence. His differentiation between "girl possessed by demon" versus "oh, you're actually a local goddess/kami" was interestingly deft. One requires a trip to the priest for exorcism, the other is "lets get coffee, eh?"
Well, if it was a local girl, the exorcism might result in profit due to a grateful family. If it was a local goddess, then he might gain supernatural benefit, also resulting in profit. His dilemma seemed focused on what would be more troublesome to deal with. I guess it's good for the audience Horo is an excellent persuader.
Old 2008-01-11, 17:26   Link #296
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
This show seems kinda interesting ; I think I will follow it.

It's funny how Horo just walks around naked like she just doesn't care at all. XD And she doesn't seem to care that Lawrence was staring right at her either. I thought he'd at least blush though.

Horo's red eyes are very cool and it was so creepy when she howled!

I like the OP a lot but the ED has some of the goofiest Engrish yet.
Old 2008-01-11, 17:38   Link #297
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
...It's funny how Horo just walks around naked like she just doesn't care at all. XD And she doesn't seem to care that Lawrence was staring right at her either....
Well, wolves don't wear clothes, lol.

I've been debating whether or not to mention this, since it may be wrong and/or misleading, but on 2channel, people are referring to her way of speaking as "oiran speech," and oiran 花魁 were apparently high-class prostitutes in Yoshiwara during the Edo period. They had a sort of secret dialect, or at least special words, apparently.

I was struck that when Horo rose from the furs, one of the first things she asked for was sake.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2008-01-11 at 21:03.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-11, 17:40   Link #298
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Oh sure if it's not much trouble, thanks again for letting me use it.
No problem!!

Viola!

Old 2008-01-11, 17:43   Link #299
X207
Gamyūsa

i like this anime, its different from the ones ive seen b4. i like the calm pace and time setting, best of all there are wolves ... well a wolf.
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-11, 17:56   Link #300
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I've opened a thread for the manga adaptation over in the Manga thread. Further discussion of the manga version can be dumped over there thataway.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...28#post1338328

Tags
adventure, drama, fantasy, furry, imagin, kemonomimi, romance, shounen