AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 23 Rating
Perfect 10 33 27.97%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 36 30.51%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 16.95%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 9.32%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 6.78%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.69%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.69%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 6 5.08%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-15, 09:22   Link #561
daimonth
Kohaku Law Firm

I understand your frustration, I mean us Sheryl fans need to sit through alot of less than spectacular moments from Ranka while Sheryl just outshines yet was given so little screen time. Its probably tempting to hate the series due to that. Why should a much more interesting character take the backseat? Ranka as a character really need to step up next episode otherwise our sacrifice would have been in vain. Though give Ranka a break, her character have been taking some step forward hopefully she will be able to finally fulfil her role in the story come next episode.
Old 2008-09-15, 10:07   Link #562
Kushi

6 out of 10. The episode was pretty good, nothing outstanding but Sheryl and Alto = <3. If it was just that I would have given it a 8 or 9, however they just had to include the last part where I can only believe that it's a translation error. Yeah the line Alto said didn't really make any sense what so ever, then Sheryl starts crying....you NEVER want to end an episode like that to make the viewer go "uhm, wtf just happened?"
Old 2008-09-15, 11:04   Link #563
Elandyll

Ep. 23 seems to be setting up for a heroic death for Sheryl, with the remote possibility of a hook up between Alto and Ranka (but the final Alto - Klan discussion, despite what had been said previously, isn't quite as damning as some would want it to be).

This being said, there is little to no chance that this is what will happen for the following reasons:

* Kawamori-san is a sadist, but a good series director. He wouldn't trounce his own best Macross TV series after the original Macross just for the sake of a WTF.

* You do -not- kill a character that you have made awesome through more hardships than Oliver Twist's been through, and with a carrot of hope constantly in front of her, at the last episode of the show. You just don't do it. And Alto and Ranka hooking up on top of that? Talk about spitting in the face of a large (to not say a majority) part of your fanbase for the sake of a last minute trick.

*If you are to kill an awesome character for the sake of the development of the story/main character, you do it mid show (cf Gurren Lagan or Roy Fokker).

*There is a big opportunity at a growing up lesson for Ranka (you do not always get what you want), a sacrifice on the altar of Drama (Brera, possibly Ozma too) and a kick ass fight involving not one but two idols (Ranka vs Sheryl) ending up in the transcendance of one (Ranka) and the cleansing of the other (Sheryl) to give way to a "happy ending" that would satisfy the majortiy of the fanbase, with Sheryl and Alto finally being open to each other during the final episode (which will see imo two equally kick ass dogfights between Ozma and Grace, and zombie-Brera and Alto). Alto finally realizing (I suspect that he just did) that life is about choices, and that like Ranka, you do not always get what you want in life (flying in a boundless sky, free of any constraints from life/social interactions), and what is important is your relation to the ones you love.

I do not see Kawamori-san missing this opportunity at making an amazing ending to an amazing TV series
Old 2008-09-15, 11:38   Link #564
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elandyll View Post
I do not see Kawamori-san missing this opportunity at making an amazing ending to an amazing TV series
Well, I couldn't agree more. But the baiting does hurt, sometimes, doesn't it?

Old 2008-09-15, 11:40   Link #565
dahak
Utu Class Planetoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Hausser View Post
It was, definitely. There is no way a capital ship can successfully destroy a small fighter carrying any named character on board. As proven by past examples, it is impossible. Only another fighter, with another named character can do that.
[/I]
Lisa/Misa shot Rick/Hikaru down as a side effect of a Daedelus attack once.

UC Gundam has at least on example as well. Erwin Cadillac was shot down by a Salamis class cruiser. I'd probably count Shin and Amuro being shot up by the Black Octohedron as well.
Old 2008-09-15, 11:48   Link #566
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahak View Post
UC Gundam has at least on example as well. Erwin Cadillac was shot down by a Salamis class cruiser. I'd probably count Shin and Amuro being shot up by the Black Octohedron as well.
Good points. And, do we really need another example on how this series is actually turning lots of cliches around? Is it totally unreasonable, then, that something like this could happen, as well?

Old 2008-09-15, 13:21   Link #567
Paul Hausser
Colonel General

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahak View Post

Granted, but these are exceptions to the rule. Although indeed, I have forgotten about Erwin's mishap. And friendly fire doesn't count.
Old 2008-09-15, 13:43   Link #568
RVA37

Is the next episode the finale?
Old 2008-09-15, 15:47   Link #569
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

One more, after that. Barring a second season, of course.

Old 2008-09-15, 15:48   Link #570
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA37 View Post
Is the next episode the finale?
Two more episodes left for this series. Based on that information, feel free to draw a conclusion.
Old 2008-09-15, 15:55   Link #571
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushi View Post
6 out of 10. The episode was pretty good, nothing outstanding but Sheryl and Alto = <3. If it was just that I would have given it a 8 or 9, however they just had to include the last part where I can only believe that it's a translation error. Yeah the line Alto said didn't really make any sense what so ever, then Sheryl starts crying....you NEVER want to end an episode like that to make the viewer go "uhm, wtf just happened?"
sorry to tell you but there is two translations out and both agree with that! so it is not a translation error! plus I agree 100% with the translation! the japanse used is pretty easy to understand!
Old 2008-09-15, 20:13   Link #572
Divinegundam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elandyll View Post
Ep. 23 seems to be setting up for a heroic death for Sheryl, with the remote possibility of a hook up between Alto and Ranka (but the final Alto - Klan discussion, despite what had been said previously, isn't quite as damning as some would want it to be).

This being said, there is little to no chance that this is what will happen for the following reasons:

* Kawamori-san is a sadist, but a good series director. He wouldn't trounce his own best Macross TV series after the original Macross just for the sake of a WTF.

* You do -not- kill a character that you have made awesome through more hardships than Oliver Twist's been through, and with a carrot of hope constantly in front of her, at the last episode of the show. You just don't do it. And Alto and Ranka hooking up on top of that? Talk about spitting in the face of a large (to not say a majority) part of your fanbase for the sake of a last minute trick.

*If you are to kill an awesome character for the sake of the development of the story/main character, you do it mid show (cf Gurren Lagan or Roy Fokker).

*There is a big opportunity at a growing up lesson for Ranka (you do not always get what you want), a sacrifice on the altar of Drama (Brera, possibly Ozma too) and a kick ass fight involving not one but two idols (Ranka vs Sheryl) ending up in the transcendance of one (Ranka) and the cleansing of the other (Sheryl) to give way to a "happy ending" that would satisfy the majortiy of the fanbase, with Sheryl and Alto finally being open to each other during the final episode (which will see imo two equally kick ass dogfights between Ozma and Grace, and zombie-Brera and Alto). Alto finally realizing (I suspect that he just did) that life is about choices, and that like Ranka, you do not always get what you want in life (flying in a boundless sky, free of any constraints from life/social interactions), and what is important is your relation to the ones you love.

I really hope it goes this way. This episode gets 7 for me. Its was odd that all the flash backs were of Ranka and did not include Sheryl. However whatever happens it's been a great ride and i've loved every minute of it.

" Yes; I watched Naruto 15 years ago, it was called Dragon Ball Z"

MY AMV of Tieria/Virtue/Nadleeh http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTKrCKoohjU
Old 2008-09-15, 20:36   Link #573
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

Unhappy

It is amazing how much gets shorthanded in the final episodes of a series... I always felt that after the 35 odd episodes of SDFM, that in eps 36, it was jarring when it all came down to CRASH-BANG-BOOM! Hey! Where IS everyone? Are they all dead?!?! OH! BTW, Hikaru is choosing Misa over Minmay. The end!

I'm hoping that they don't pull the VERY SAME gag on us here, but I do fear so... A second season would be SO MUCH more fun and satisfying... As long as it doesn't just become eps after eps of - fighting Vajra, try to communicate, fighting Vajra, try to broker peace, fighting Vajra, try to force them from their planet, fighting Vajra, favorite chara gets toasted, mix & repeat.

All in all, it is TOTALLY within the bounds of possibility to solve the issues and the triangle within the two remaining eps, but "rushed" wouldn't really describe it satisfactorily...
Old 2008-09-15, 21:52   Link #574
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mughi View Post
All in all, it is TOTALLY within the bounds of possibility to solve the issues and the triangle within the two remaining eps, but "rushed" wouldn't really describe it satisfactorily...
hmmm!I thought it was pretty obvious the LT was already resolved. I guess it doesn't count until alto tells one of the girls "suki da".
Old 2008-09-16, 01:02   Link #575
Paul Hausser
Colonel General

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
hmmm!I thought it was pretty obvious the LT was already resolved. I guess it doesn't count until alto tells one of the girls "suki da".
Resolved? Die Pairing Krieg goes on, and the flames burn brightly. No, that quandary will be resolved, possibly, in two weeks' time, in Kawamori's mind, or never - in the minds of hardcore shippers.
Old 2008-09-16, 01:13   Link #576
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
This Macross might be the first where the main male dude goes "I love ya!"

You see, in previous series, no male characters ever uttered the words "I love you".

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-09-16, 01:27   Link #577
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

Quote:
Yep! That's the advantage to not having a ship in the water... You get to be happy with which ever one comes into port first! After SDFM, I quickly learned to not put my money only on one to win... After M7, I learned not put my money on EITHER one to win!
Old 2008-09-16, 01:28   Link #578
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post

You see, in previous series, no male characters ever uttered the words "I love you".

- Tak
So, whatta ya tryin' ta say 'bout ol' Alto? Huh?
Old 2008-09-16, 01:50   Link #579
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post

- Tak
Now this would be a 25th anniversary present.

AD 2314 Mobile Suit Gundam 00
~A wakening of the Trailblazer~

Old 2008-09-16, 02:00   Link #580
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mughi View Post
So, whatta ya tryin' ta say 'bout ol' Alto? Huh?

Yup Tak is right about that...and really...Alto shouldn't have to. It would be odd anyway since in Japanese culture, it's more "action" than words.

Unspoken communication is referred to as 心伝心 (ishin-denshin). In translation is basically means, a "Quiet Understanding." Even native Japanese "married couples would refrain from ever saying "I love you" to each other."

But it would definitely be a first....lol, maybe this is the "surprise" that Kawamori was referring to. J/K

--Lone Wolf

一匹狼
Closed Thread