AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-04-17, 18:08   Link #41
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Strike View Post
That completely ass-backwards. Do you mean to tell me that tv rating are so low for anime that they can't get advertisers to to air the shows. Thats kinda hard to believe. I guess you really do learn something new everyday.
Seiji speaks truth -- it isn't really the ratings are so low but that anime is basically an *infomercial* for the products (DVDs, CDs, manga, LN, figures, etc). So, just like 30 minute/1hr informercials in the US - the producers pay for the air time and then await the tidal wave of purchasing from japanese fans.

edit: d'oh, I didn't see his follow up post making exactly the same analogy.
Old 2012-04-17, 19:47   Link #42
Kirarakim

Although it should be noted it is only a small portion of the population of Japan who is buying the merchandise. It's just that small population happens to spend a lot of money.
Old 2012-04-18, 06:42   Link #43
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
By Humberto Saabedra
<snip>

While Funimation also announced Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt as a Blu-Ray/DVD combo release during Anime Boston, the earliest listings for the show are beginning to confirm that Kadokawa is indeed forcing international licensors to drop Blu-Ray releases from release plans and announcements.

Why Kadokawa is doing this now, when some of the most popular shows controlled by the conglomerate will see release on home video this year is unknown, but if I were to make an educated guess, the idea of reverse importation may be too great for the conglomerate to ignore and it appears perfectly willing to lose money on international licenses in order to protect its shrinking home market.

Unfortunately for Kadokawa Pictures, the home video market for anime in the US is moving swiftly away from DVD and rushing towards Blu-Ray as the preferred release method for newer shows, with many making purchasing decisions based on whether the series will have a Blu-Ray version available. For Kadokawa to make such mandates to its international licensor partners is not only short-sighted, but it only hurts those that want to support their favorite shows and the companies that work to license them.
I disagree. The home video market is not moving swiftly towards blu-ray. FUNi's packaging is DVD packaging for more exposure and most of their clientele would love to buy a cheaper DVD version than a BD version. DVD is still in the majority.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/06/repo...rices-decline/
Old 2012-04-18, 09:38   Link #44
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Blu-Ray is still a faze in Japan far more than anywhere else.

As far as my purchases go, I'd rather a good show that is affordable than anything else. The whole BD thing doesn't faze me much. And they're not selling enough in a lot of cases in the West to justify companies doing them regularly. Here in Australia, Siren Visual have only two BD releases in their anime catalogue - Angel Beats and Casshern Sins. Madman Entertainment aren't doing many either, simply because they're not cost effective for the majority of titles, plus they did indicate Aniplex was never going to let them have the rights to Fate/Zero and Madoka for BD releases. Niche fandom market has to be budgeted. If a title is going to be big, then a BD release can be justifiable. But at this point in time, there's nowhere near enough titles going big enough to justify considerable BD releases. It's more a luxury than anything. DVD version may be inferior in picture quality, but you can still afford and get the show at least. Be glad we have fair price systems these days. VHS days were not fun.

That article orion linked raised an interesting point in the comments section. BD systems not allowing backward compatability? Then what the hell are people meant to do with their pre-existing DVD collections? And also the point that BDs don't do much different from what DVDs can do. They're simply a step up the ladder in aesthetic quality. You really need to give people more than that to expect people to get on board in droves. The shift from VHS to DVD happened because of markedly improved longevity, storage and recording capability. The BD step isn't significant enough.
Old 2012-04-18, 10:34   Link #45
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Did you mean "phase?"

According to one large Japanese electronics retailer, a majority of their customers now own a Blu-ray player. Single-function BR players haven't sold well, but combo devices with recording capabilities apparently do, as have PS3's. The BR disc association expects total sales of Blu-ray discs to outpace DVD sales in Japan next year.

Blu-ray purchases have grown especially rapidly among the fans who buy anime. Look at recent figures from the sales thread here. You'll see that Blu-ray anime releases for many titles outsold DVD releases in Japan last year, often by substantial amounts.

Quote:
That article orion linked raised an interesting point in the comments section. BD systems not allowing backward compatability?
What I read in that article is that sales of optical media overall have slowed in the US. I don't find that surprising. Disc sales are driven by a small number of blockbuster titles. Last year's Hollywood releases had fewer such titles. Also, no pun intended, the demise of Blockbuster Video removed a large buyer of optical media from the marketplace. The rapid growth of streaming alternatives like Netflix and Hulu, as well as the expansion of pay-per-view offerings on modern US cable systems, have all led to a decrease in demand for physical media. Those trends will certainly continue.

Were you referring to that flaming commentator who falls into the "Sony-is-the-root-of-evil" school of thought? I suggest you consider the source before accepting what he or she says as gospel. Extrapolating from Sony's decision about backward-compatibility on the PS3, a platform Sony owns entirely, to Blu-ray players, where Sony is but one competitor, is absurd on its face. As far as I know all BR players play DVDs as well. Certainly my PS3 does, as does the $70 BR player I bought recently for a friend from Amazon. We didn't look at every player on the list, but none of the ones we looked at were unable to play DVDs.

Quote:
The BD step isn't significant enough.
That's your opinion. Other people would disagree.

Blu-ray ownership is dependent on ownership of HDTVs. In the US that figure is estimated to be around 70% of households. A recent report from Accenture claims that Japan has the highest level of HDTV penetration of the countries they surveyed, though I can't find an actual figure in that document. A more conservative estimate I've seen reports HDTVs in about 24 million Japanese households, or slightly under half of all households based on census estimates. It may be that HDTV penetration hasn't advanced as quickly in Australia thus retarding the demand for BR players and discs. (Reports suggesting that HDTV penetrations are quite high in Australia apparently count devices that show 576p content as HD. In the rest of the world, the minimum standard is 720p.)

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-04-18 at 16:59.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-18, 10:51   Link #46
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Quote:
What exactly do you mean by the word "faze." ?

Quote:
DVD version may be inferior in picture quality, but you can still afford and get the show at least.
Just torrent a quality BD rip and watch that. Buy the DVD to support the creator. No need to settle for anything less than the best. The internet is the closest we have come to a post scarcity economy, take advantage of that.

Quote:
That article orion linked raised an interesting point in the comments section. BD systems not allowing backward compatability? Then what the hell are people meant to do with their pre-existing DVD collections?
Put them on a shelf, wait a couple decades, sell for massive profit. If you want to watch a series, Netflix it, if it isn't on Netflix, tpb never fails.

Quote:
They're simply a step up the ladder in aesthetic quality. You really need to give people more than that to expect people to get on board in droves.
If you have an HD TV, the step up in quality between SD and 1080p is really noticeable. If I still watched the discs I buy, I would say BRD is definitely worth the increase in quality.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-18, 14:47   Link #47
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I believe he was trying to spell "phase" (a duration or set of conditions existing) rather than "faze" (to bother, distract, annoy).

And I didn't even know anyone *made* a "blu-ray only" player but then I never look for one. I only buy optical systems that can play *all* optical media (CD/DVD/Blu-ray). And I've got a couple of VHS players (and they still sell combo units that play those as well as discs).
Old 2012-04-18, 16:22   Link #48
Goggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
And I didn't even know anyone *made* a "blu-ray only" player but then I never look for one.
They don't. Whoever wrote that was full of shit. All Blu-Ray players can play DVD, and that's not going to change.
Old 2012-04-18, 16:45   Link #49
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
And I didn't even know anyone *made* a "blu-ray only" player but then I never look for one. I only buy optical systems that can play *all* optical media (CD/DVD/Blu-ray). And I've got a couple of VHS players (and they still sell combo units that play those as well as discs).
I think they were referring to simple disc player, as oppose to players with "smart" features like streaming/internet access, DVR or gaming function.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-18, 17:06   Link #50
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

I really don't consider a TV being an essential appliance these days. Myself and plenty of my friends don't have one, let alone an HDTV. It's a luxury. My computer can do anything I'd need - has BD/DVD player + recorder and TV card. If you're within a family setting, that probably dictates a need for a TV for social aspects. If you're not, a TV is not essential.
Old 2012-04-18, 17:43   Link #51
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
I really don't consider a TV being an essential appliance these days. Myself and plenty of my friends don't have one, let alone an HDTV. It's a luxury. My computer can do anything I'd need - has BD/DVD player + recorder and TV card. If you're within a family setting, that probably dictates a need for a TV for social aspects. If you're not, a TV is not essential.
Aye... I'd say right up that we wouldn't have a tv (much less an hdtv appliance) at all except that my wife and I + others like to watch movies/tv together. I watch most of my anime on a monitor, play games on a monitor ... the xbox is hooked to its own monitor down in the basement game room.
Old 2012-04-18, 18:28   Link #52
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

When Blu-ray was coming out, there were to be "Blu-ray only", but someone said, "What would it take to get them to play a DVD?"

"Add a red laser to scan. But that will cost more."

"So?"

So Blu-ray players can do both...as if they didn't they might be slightly cheaper...but no one would have bought them....as backward compatability is still important. just look at all the VCR/DVD players out there.
Old 2012-04-18, 18:31   Link #53
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
http://www.ultrahdtv.net/ <- and they are making another one again.......

People: NANI?! ULTRA BLU-RAY?!
Old 2012-04-18, 18:42   Link #54
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Fuck yeah 8K! 4K is evil because it has less pixels and 4 is just a shitty number.

Quote:
If this was made in response to my point about the difference between SD and HD content being huge if you have an HDTV, my point still stands with computer monitors. Basically the difference between watching SD and HD content is easily noticeable on any device with a lot more pixels than SD content has.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 21:37   Link #55
Roloko vi Britannia
The Dark Empress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
If the prices are going to be in line with Aniplex USA's pricing or just importing left then I am done (except for very select series).

I just hope NISA stays in the market for awhile.
This pretty much for me too.

Gundam and Code Geass would be the only things I would spend $60 a pop for or $300 a pop for the Gundam BR boxsets thats if Sunrise/Bandai continues its trend of subbing the newer series like they have been doing with Unicorn, Nunnally in Wonderland, SEED Remaster, and AGE. Everything else I will just stream legally or illegally.

Roloko vi Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 22:21   Link #56
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Looks like it's true (almost):

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...-release-slate

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...lu-ray-release
Old 2012-04-24, 22:34   Link #57
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Kadokawa has nothing to do with DBZ. It was lower than expected sales for the amount of effort Funi put into the BDs that sunk that endeavor. The solicitations were what cued the article in the first place, so it's just saying the same facts. Nothing new has come out.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-24, 22:35   Link #58
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Wonder why Panty and Stocking is in DVD....
Old 2012-04-24, 23:44   Link #59
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Reading over the thread - this popped in my head:
Are we starting to get the vibe that the producers are back-pedaling on blu-ray *replacing* dvd over the long haul? That blu-ray is going to remain a "collector's niche"?

Maybe it is just the "reverse importation" demon is really scaring them that much.
Old 2012-04-25, 00:53   Link #60
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Yeah I'm starting to notice. Ano Hana is DVD and so is Panty and Stocking.....

It seems the only way to get Blu-Ray (in the coming future), is to import.

Tags
blu-ray, international, kadokawa, restriction