AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-06-20, 22:58   Link #7021
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
How do you calculate your own BMI? Is there an accurate measurement of BMI depending on the body frame and height of the individual?
Old 2013-06-21, 02:30   Link #7022
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
How do you calculate your own BMI? Is there an accurate measurement of BMI depending on the body frame and height of the individual?
Standard is weight in kg divided by height in meter squared. So it's BMI = kg/m^2

BMI > 30 is obese
BMI = 25-30 is overweight
BMI = 19-25 is normal
BMI < 19 is underweight

Variations apply depending on dry weights, relative muscle mass, adult or pediatric age group, etc.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-21, 02:40   Link #7023
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Standard is weight in kg divided by height in meter squared. So it's BMI = kg/m^2

BMI > 30 is obese
BMI = 19-25 is normal
BMI < 19 is underweight

Variations apply depending on dry weights, relative muscle mass, adult or pediatric age group, etc.
Emphasis strong on those variations -- BMI is, I'll say it, a lousy rule of thumb for individuals. It's more useful for statistics with large populations.

A moderately muscled male will show up as "overweight" even though they're in excellent physical condition with low body fat ratio. Worry more about your body fat ratio and WHERE the fat is.

Belly fat is a particular alarm. It is not only toxic but you may also have a lot of hidden fat draped on your internal organs doing damage.
Old 2013-06-21, 02:44   Link #7024
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post

BMI > 30 is obese
BMI = 19-25 is normal
BMI < 19 is underweight

Funny.. I had a colleague ask a dietitian about it....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-21, 02:50   Link #7025
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

In rich countries where more accurate methods of indices apply, BMI isn't really used anymore.

But in poorer countries, well, you use what you can. It may be good enough for adults, but in pediatrics BMI isn't accurate at all in itself.

You can look at the standardized WHO pediatric height and weight growth charts online.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 01:10   Link #7026
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

What does the Class 1 Medical imply for airline pilots?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 20:16   Link #7027
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Anyone know where this is from? And who she is?
Suzuki Airi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
What does the Class 1 Medical imply for airline pilots?

Read this.

It's depressing that I find reading light novels in Korean to be easier than Japanese. Seems like my not reading Japanese literature has caught up to me.

Is this a bad thing?
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 20:44   Link #7028
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Suzuki Airi.

It's depressing that I find reading light novels in Korean to be easier than Japanese. Seems like my not reading Japanese literature has caught up to me.

Is this a bad thing?
Thank you, I was thinking I was never going to get an answer.

As for reading, do you not at least know three languages?
I only know two languages, Korean and English, but even then I have lot of trouble reading in Korean and I am terrible at typing and writing in Korean. If you are able to still read them at high proficiency, I would say that is very impressive.
Old 2013-06-24, 02:52   Link #7029
Ridwan

Not exactly related, but Hangeul is rather unbelievably easy to learn. I got to memorize at least three fourth of the letters in just a day. Much faster then when I did for Kana letters, though it was back during grade school but still....
Old 2013-06-24, 05:23   Link #7030
HasuMasu
*Artist

Korean as a written language is I think better structured and 'easier' so to speak.

So that might be something.
HasuMasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-24, 07:12   Link #7031
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridwan View Post
Not exactly related, but Hangeul is rather unbelievably easy to learn. I got to memorize at least three fourth of the letters in just a day. Much faster then when I did for Kana letters, though it was back during grade school but still....
I think because each letter is so distinct and different each other, in both looks and sounds, it makes sense and more clearly defined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasumi View Post
Korean as a written language is I think better structured and 'easier' so to speak.

Compare to other languages I suppose. I do think the way it work is very logical.
Old 2013-06-24, 07:18   Link #7032
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasumi View Post

I try to watch undubbed Korean series.. and man.. they way the girls speak... very heavy like a man's voice or tone...or something... ain't cute...
Old 2013-06-27, 15:22   Link #7033
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Now that I'm on summer break for about another 8 weeks before school kicks back, I've started working out. I've have always been doing cardio for awhile (running 3-4 times a week) but I figured if I wanna lose some of that nasty weight (fat rather) I gained from stress, I decided to pick up weights.

My question is should I be taking protein supplements (I have a protein chocolate powder) for working out? Or would a decently sized protein meal suffice for my workouts? I'm nowhere near doing hardcore lifts, but enough to wear me out. I guess I'm trying to figure it if it's necessary to take a protein supplement to compliment working out.

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-27, 15:42   Link #7034
NoemiChan
Banned

Do the natural, eat the natural.... I would never say no to meat
Old 2013-06-27, 15:49   Link #7035
Sumeragi
Banned

Chicken breast and beans are enough. Protein supplements are only "necessary" if you're body-building.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-27, 18:01   Link #7036
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Chicken breast and beans are enough. Protein supplements are only "necessary" if you're body-building.
or liver problems....
Old 2013-06-30, 13:28   Link #7037
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcode120x View Post
Now that I'm on summer break for about another 8 weeks before school kicks back, I've started working out. I've have always been doing cardio for awhile (running 3-4 times a week) but I figured if I wanna lose some of that nasty weight (fat rather) I gained from stress, I decided to pick up weights.

My question is should I be taking protein supplements (I have a protein chocolate powder) for working out? Or would a decently sized protein meal suffice for my workouts? I'm nowhere near doing hardcore lifts, but enough to wear me out. I guess I'm trying to figure it if it's necessary to take a protein supplement to compliment working out.
I'm going to suggest you spend a few bucks and talk to a personal trainer who has nutrition experience/certification. If you're trying to add muscle, more protein is good. Do you need to spend all that money on protein powder? I'd wait until you've gotten your body fat ratio to where you want it. Let the muscle growth "eat" the fat, so to speak.
Old 2013-06-30, 18:54   Link #7038
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcode120x View Post
Last I'd heard the average American diet has way more protein than you'd need. So assuming you're not eating a diet that consists solely of lettuce and beans any of those protein shakes or protein bars is a waste. But that's from a nutritional standpoint; if consuming them makes you feel like you're able to push yourself farther or if it makes you more enthusiastic for your workouts then by all means go for it.
Old 2013-06-30, 21:48   Link #7039
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
What are the benefits of sleeping eight hours at night? And what happens if you don't especially for those who work at night?
Old 2013-06-30, 22:31   Link #7040
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
And what happens if you don't especially for those who work at night?
Your skin grows paler, even as your eyes appear to sink into pools of dark. You will gradually develop an aversion to sunlight. Eventually, the people around you start looking like juicy slabs of meat. After that, it's just a small step to a daily (nightly?) diet of fresh blood for sustenance.

Seriously though, I worked from 2pm to 11pm five days a week for about four years. My sleeping patterns were seriously disrupted as a result. I tended to sleep at 3am and wake up at around 11am or noon. Other than that, I didn't notice any physical effects. I did get very grouchy though if I were to wake at noon, because that would have left only about enough time to wash up and rush to work. That would be extremely depressing, because it would feel as though I had no life outside of the office.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, q&a, serious