AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-10-21, 20:59   Link #1781
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hachiko View Post
I am making the bold prediction that no series from this point forward will have the same punch that Saki has had, and even if it's capable of doing so, the voters will not allow it to happen again. It's like Roy Lassiter's MLS scoring record (for all you soccer buffs) of 27 goals set in 1996. People come close to breaking the record, but they fall short. Such is the case with Saki.
I guess that is plausible depending on the actions people running this tournament. If they think over dominance is bad and noticing complaints about over dominance then there will be a slim chance a future faction breaking Saki's records. If they don't give two craps about the voters and don't care if a series is over dominating then a show can break Saki's record such as 7/8 of girls in the top 8 are from the same series or worst case scenario for people who want variety despite not breaking Saki's record in prelims, rounds 1, 2, and 3 it is possible for a faction to get 8 girls of the same series in the final 8 or to make things worse they break all of Saki's records and still do the 8/8 thing in the final 8. So I believe it'll be dependent on how popular the show is (cast amount to an extent) and the tournament admin's action.

Last edited by Ichuki; 2012-10-21 at 21:43.
Old 2012-10-21, 22:24   Link #1782
ion475
にこにこにー

Since I was without my computer for the weekend, I didn't post my pick for last round. But either way, was picking Subara while predicting Kuro to win. The low vote total didn't surprise me at all, especially when it's a case where "Either one winning is fine"...

For this round, picking and predicting Ako. Nodocchi must be gone so Louise can start her trolling.
Old 2012-10-21, 23:14   Link #1783
Hachiko
The Akita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichuki View Post
I guess that is plausible depending on the actions people running this tournament. If they think over dominance is bad and noticing complaints about over dominance then there will be a slim chance a future faction breaking Saki's records. If they don't give two craps about the voters and don't care if a series is over dominating then a show can break Saki's record such as 7/8 of girls in the top 8 are from the same series or worst case scenario for people who want variety despite not breaking Saki's record in prelims, rounds 1, 2, and 3 it is possible for a faction to get 8 girls of the same series in the final 8 or to make things worse they break all of Saki's records and still do the 8/8 thing in the final 8. So I believe it'll be dependent on how popular the show is (cast amount to an extent) and the tournament admin's action.
The only series I know that could put seven or eight in the QF is Sailor Moon, and they won't be in it until the following season.
Old 2012-10-21, 23:20   Link #1784
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Nah, factions eventually die down as their age gets so I seriously doubt next year will be a Modaka Vs. Saki thing.
Old 2012-10-21, 23:55   Link #1785
Team Rocket Elite

Quote:
I am making the bold prediction that no series from this point forward will have the same punch that Saki has had, and even if it's capable of doing so, the voters will not allow it to happen again. It's like Roy Lassiter's MLS scoring record (for all you soccer buffs) of 27 goals set in 1996. People come close to breaking the record, but they fall short. Such is the case with Saki.
"the voters will not allow it to happen"? If the non-Saki voters were strong enough to beat the Saki voters, dominance wouldn't be a risk to begin with. The same will apply to any other series that tries to dominate Saimoe.
Old 2012-10-22, 00:01   Link #1786
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
Nah, factions eventually die down as their age gets so I seriously doubt next year will be a Modaka Vs. Saki thing.
Same here I think its going to be *Insert strong series that's eligible in 2013 here* vs *insert strong series that's eligible in 2013 here*

Quote:
The only series I know that could put seven or eight in the QF is Sailor Moon, and they won't be in it until the following season.
I think so for Sailor Moon too (it is most likely going to be the inner scouts chibi moon and Saturn for sure not too sure about Outers excluding Saturn doing well though), for series eligible for 2013 Saimoe wise might be Girls Und Panzer but its just a guess due it seems like Japan would like that type of moe and it's massive cast also it seems like animes that isn't popular internationally tends to do well in Saimoe in Japan.

Quote:
That's a good point, but next year's it's wide-open. The voters won't let Saki or Madoka rule the roost in 2013 because they've already done so (given that Saki wins it all without Shana, Louise or Sena playing spoiler)
I don't think it is safe to say next year is wide open yet since I thought 2012 is going to be wide open until Saki was revealed in Spring 2012.

Last edited by Ichuki; 2012-10-22 at 00:36.
Old 2012-10-22, 00:18   Link #1787
Hachiko
The Akita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichuki View Post
I think so for Sailor Moon too, for series eligible for 2013 Saimoe wise might be Girls Und Panzer but its just a guess due it seems like Japan would like that type of moe and it's massive cast also it seems like animes that isn't popular internationally tends to do well in Saimoe in Japan.
Little Busters might also have a shot at making some inroads. This is going to be a wide-open competition in 2013. Never mind that we have the Gun (as in Railgun) and Mokkan's Crew (Ro-Kyu-Bu) to deal with...and SAO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Rocket Elite View Post
"the voters will not allow it to happen"? If the non-Saki voters were strong enough to beat the Saki voters, dominance wouldn't be a risk to begin with. The same will apply to any other series that tries to dominate Saimoe.
That's a good point, but next year's it's wide-open. The voters won't let Saki or Madoka rule the roost in 2013 because they've already done so (given that Saki wins it all without Shana, Louise or Sena playing spoiler).

Going back to the race at hand...on the Ando it's too close to call, with Ako leading Nodoka 95-86.
Old 2012-10-22, 00:33   Link #1788
RJ TAYLER

Well it looks like the 'new guard' of the Saki faction 'have the wood' (or is that Ivory or Bamboo) on the 'old guard' today. With the usual proviso the numbers being tracked are not bent out of shape in any way.

A worst-case scenario for those seeking variety could be as follows:

A fifty plus episode season of Sailor Moon followed by.
Card Captors has a commemorative film/OVA released
The next Month a DN Angel special edition is placed in a repackaged box set, broadcast in conjunction with a newly completed extra episode.
Nadia's Tomorrows follow-up is released covering the 'what happened next' of the story.
Strikers The Movie Comes out later that same month.
Peach-Pit Confirms Rozen Maiden II anime broadcast start a week later.
Lucky Star and When They Cry 'sugar and shock' double bill is playing in the cinemas the Halloween week.
Toradra OVA broadcast two months out from the cut-off date with Saki Season Two hot on it's heels as well as Moar Madoka than you could poke a stick at.
A week before the cut off date Zun "goes insane'' and says the OK to a recently completed 'former' fan vid that gets a run on the Tokyo Television region as an 'officially sanctioned' Touhou anime.
Old 2012-10-22, 03:44   Link #1789
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Well, simply at a practical level, Hachiko is probably right in saying that Saki's 2012 records will never be beat.

The thing is that the Saki franchise plays itself out in a rather unconventional way that lent itself to having six girls in the final eight of J-SaiMoe 2012.

Typically, an anime show's sixth most important female character (if it even has that many) is just not important enough to garner the attention necessary to do that well in a competition like this one. This is true even for a highly popular show that has something of an ensemble cast feel to it, such as Madoka Magica (hence why Hitomi Shizuki was pretty much nowhere to be seen last year). And for that rare show where the sixth most important girl is kind of important, the show usually suffers from so much character focus division that neither of the girls are able to stand out all that well (which is precisely what I think undermines iDOLM@STER in competitions like this one).

But Saki is a weird case where you have a spin-off/sequel to an original that includes the central (and already popular) protagonists of the original in cameo roles while also building up new popular protagonists and on top of that you had new antagonists that are ultimately given treatment usually reserved for protagonists (so they become well-liked and popular too).

It's a very exceptional and unusual case that lends itself well to startling degrees of domination in moe competitions like this one. And I don't think it's all that likely that such a situation will repeat itself.

It's true, of course, that Saki will be back next year, but it'll almost certainly be facing stiffer competition next year. I doubt that either SAO or Little Busters will fail to produce characters that can defeat some (if not all) of the strongest Saki girls.
Old 2012-10-22, 05:14   Link #1790
wontaek

I am beginning to doubt whether Little Busters can be a potent force in various moe tournaments of next year.
Old 2012-10-22, 06:30   Link #1791
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Little Busters and SAO = meh. Early hypes also almost always fail. Im@s failed to show up this year and Yuruyuri and RKB failed to produce a quarter finalist (though to be fair, this is mostly because of Saki's over dominance). We'll really have to wait what 2013 holds to make predictions like this.

Though seriously, looking at Saimoe 2013 already when we're supposed to be having one of the funnest parts of Saimoe right now just shows how much this year has fallen. -sigh-
Old 2012-10-22, 07:43   Link #1792
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by wontaek View Post
I am beginning to doubt whether Little Busters can be a potent force in various moe tournaments of next year.
Is that because of the reception that the anime is receiving so far? Just curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
Little Busters and SAO = meh. Early hypes also almost always fail.
I know that J-SaiMoe and ISML are two very different beasts, but still, I don't think you can discount Kirito and Asuna absolutely obliterating Kiritsugu and Saber over in an ISML exhibition match recently (and that did include Kirito/Asuna winning Japan as well). Saber is an ISML vet that's been doing pretty good all year and made the final tournament, so Asuna defeating her so decisively probably indicates something at least...

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that I necessarily want SAO and Little Busters to be tops in 2013 (I like Asuna and some of the LB girls well enough, but they're not huge favorites for me, at least not yet). I just think they're the early favorites to do well there.

But like you said, we'll see.
Old 2012-10-22, 08:23   Link #1793
Hachiko
The Akita

Heading into the final hour, Ako leads Nodoka 212-187. Only a final rush can bail Nodoka out of this predicament but if the rush favors Ako, this might be over.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Hachiko; 2012-10-22 at 08:55.
Old 2012-10-22, 08:46   Link #1794
Wanderer
Goat

The thing is, to get 7 or 8 slots, you realistically need to have even more unbeatable characters than 7 or 8, simply because it's incredibly unlikely to get such a favorable draw.

Just the fact that Saki's getting 6 this year is completely absurd.

We could even at this point suppose Koromo and Kirame could have beaten any of the other surviving Non-Saki, which means if the draw were right, Saki could have, with a fair amount more luck, conceivably have gotten all 8 slots. That's how ridiculously dominant they are.
Old 2012-10-22, 09:00   Link #1795
RJ TAYLER

Ladies, and for the last time before the final BBQ, please make yourselves to the stage.

Mr Starr, let's show 'junior' how it's done ok.....

Drum-roll with the best backbeat ever later...

The Winner of Group G and last Saki Placing in the Finals is...
Old 2012-10-22, 09:02   Link #1796
Hachiko
The Akita

Good turnout for this one...about 600 votes tallied.
Old 2012-10-22, 09:06   Link #1797
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

1位 278票 原村和@咲-Saki- 阿知賀編 episode of side-A
2位 262票 新子憧@咲-Saki- 阿知賀編 episode of side-A

Finally a Non- Saki match

Picks- Shana
Prediction- Shana
Old 2012-10-22, 09:07   Link #1798
stormtrooper

What match.
Old 2012-10-22, 09:08   Link #1799
Hachiko
The Akita

Spoiler for Group G Result:

Go figure. My prediction was right on the money for this one.
Old 2012-10-22, 09:10   Link #1800
JW1

Ugh. Ako came so close!
Closed Thread

Tags
2012, anime saimoe tournament, saimoe, tournament