AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2008-05-13, 19:58   Link #1061
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann of Thursday View Post
Oh, crap. The gg subs are bad for season 1? I guess this means every scene I ever saw was read wrong, especially the ones involving C.C.. This just makes things worse.
*Worries that he'll have to start answering requests for scene translations.*
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-13, 20:00   Link #1062
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

It would only be about 5 scenes, but I won't bother. Don't want to waste your time.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Dann of Thursday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-13, 20:01   Link #1063
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
It would only be about 5 scenes, but I won't bother. Don't want to waste your time.
Nah, I have time. Just PM them to me, it'll probably take only 5 minutes per scene.
Old 2008-05-13, 20:20   Link #1064
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae View Post
Believe the Korean subbers. Korean is almost completely interchangable with Japanese, which is one reason why we get most of our subs within 24 hours of broadcasting.
Heh, I can't understand Korean though. Well, I just went and had a listen myself and I did hear a 'kimi' at the start of that line so I guess I'll take your word for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowell1025 View Post
Well, a "yuk" can mean many things

but "mere" planned patricide?
:P Iunno, feel free to clarify then. Moral outrage was just my guess for the most probable motivation for a negative response.

The thing is, planned patricide is precisely what Lelouch is planning to do as well, and really these kinds of characters are scattered all over literature without garnering automatic disapproval. All it takes for anybody to sympathise to some degree with Suzaku and his patricide is a healthy distrust of nationalism, at the very least. The sanctity of family, life, or children are pretty much biological constructs, really, and it isn't too hard for circumstances to break them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann of Thursday
I don't quite get how some people can support him since Taniguchi has been making it clear that he is not really the sort of person you should like.
As for your question on how people can support Suzaku, Dann, it's pretty simple in my case. My criteria for liking people is pretty much competence, maybe moreso individual competence, and from what I've seen in the show so far, Suzaku is just as, if not moreso, competent than Lelouch. Not quite sure where you're getting the 'should' from, either, as it seems like being Suzaku's friend would actually net you quite a few benefits, doesn't it?
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-13, 20:38   Link #1065
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

I meant that morally you shouldn't like the kind of person he is. I haven't seen him be more competent than Lelouch to be honest, but given you're a fan of Suzaku and I'm not means I'm probably to blind to see it.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Old 2008-05-13, 21:33   Link #1066
Dean_the_Young
Has a life IRL

Quote:
I meant that morally you shouldn't like the kind of person he is.
Which, as always, applies equally to Lelouch.

If I remember, wasn't the quote you're referring to more about how the director was saying that, despite his pleasant personality, that Suzaku had his own dark secrets and flaws? That has a different meaning than just "he's a bad person, never be like him."
Quote:
I haven't seen him be more competent than Lelouch to be honest, but given you're a fan of Suzaku and I'm not means I'm probably to blind to see it.
Well, how many times has a cat or a single unexpected variable almost ruined Suzaku's grand plans in a comedic series of events?

Seriously though, Suzaku tends to be beaten by more reasonable reasons (such as enemy reinforcements/upgrades, C.C.'s interference, and so on), while Lelouch is often beaten by a single unexpected variable he doesn't over-plan for.
Dean_the_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-13, 21:36   Link #1067
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Not really. In various interviews and such, he's made it clear that Lelouch is overall meant to be the hero kind of character though a more realistic one.

I guess I'm wrong though and everyone is right that Lelouch is just like Light and that Suzaku is the real hero of this story with the right idea in mind.

Old 2008-05-13, 21:40   Link #1068
DarkLordOfkichiku

Quote:
I guess I'm wrong though and everyone is right that Lelouch is just like Light and that Suzaku is the real hero of this story with the right idea in mind.
Man, why must people always compare him to Light? Can't we come up with a different comparison for once?
How about comparing him to, say, Paul Atreides instead? Lots of similarities there too...
DarkLordOfkichiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-13, 21:43   Link #1069
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

I think suzaku is using nanaully as a replacement for euphie
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-13, 21:46   Link #1070
orangejuicetang

I feel that it has more to do with their personal idealogies and beliefs. Lelouch thinks "This is how the world should be, how do I change it", while I feel that Suzuku thinks more like "This is how the world is right now, how do I best deal with it." Like in the case of Japan, Lelouch would basically the current system and make a whole new one, while Suzuku looks for something that would achieve his means, like becoming the Knight of One, and works toward achieving that means.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-13, 21:50   Link #1071
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

And that automatically makes Suzaku the better person. I thought the Light comaprisons were BS too, but I guess they were more correct than I cared to acknowledge.

Old 2008-05-13, 21:56   Link #1072
Lowell1025

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
:P Iunno, feel free to clarify then. Moral outrage was just my guess for the most probable motivation for a negative response.

The thing is, planned patricide is precisely what Lelouch is planning to do as well, and really these kinds of characters are scattered all over literature without garnering automatic disapproval. All it takes for anybody to sympathise to some degree with Suzaku and his patricide is a healthy distrust of nationalism, at the very least. The sanctity of family, life, or children are pretty much biological constructs, really, and it isn't too hard for circumstances to break them.
well, that "yuk" have the followings:
1. I imagnined bashings Suzaku dislikers would dish out if it is proven he planned it all along
2. Reminded me of a case of parenticde I read on newspapers which I'd rather forget
3. suddenly remembered many things I need to do before 11AM tomorrow

If you want my personal opinion on the matter, I'm at a stage where I try to refrain myself from judging others. It's another person's life, and if you reflect back on yourself, you'd notice times when you lost control and made mistake also. As the saying goes, "A true gentlemen can forgive all mistakes but the ones made by himself." Although I don't give a dang about gentlemen, I do believe in the rest. Unless I can't think of another way, I'd like to keep opinions on these matters open / undiscussed, and just look after my own.

While I can understand a bit as to why Suzaku killed his father, I'm no Suzaku. Although I lost them now, I had a very close and caring family. My relation with my dad is completely different and inevitably, I am biased towards Suzaku's action. The point here is, my feelings towards Suzaku's case will inevitably be based somewhat on my experiences and my feelings (to what extent can vary), no matter how well or reasonable the case is presented or how hard I try to be objective. This feeling is not something you can easily win over/turn aside with arguments and facts. The same thing goes for other people too. If you are truely empathetic and can understand that, then perphaps you can communicate with others without ending up having one feeling going up against another ( I see a lot of argument on this board ended up like this), but come to understand each other's position better instead, and perhaps learn more about the aspects of the issue you are discussing - ultimately, end up with a better judgment on the issue.
Lowell1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-13, 21:59   Link #1073
tenken627
what Yagi said

Actually morally, Suzaku is better than Lelouch when it comes to accepted ethical standards. Lelouch is the one putting innocent lives in harm's way.

Suzaku is just, really really weird in his thought patterns for lack of a better description. He says things that contradict each other. He acts in a certain way that contradicts with his words. He tries to justify his actions, but you're left going like "huh?" after you hear his rationalization. And he doesn't even notice it.

It's not that Suzaku is an evil person. It is very easily arguable that Lelouch is much more evil compared to Suzaku.

But, Suzaku is just a really poorly made character. It's just kinda like Suzaku has split personalities, where different sides of him are just not aware of the others.

Is he a character that is willing to do whatever it takes to get what he wants or is he a character that hates that line of thought? He shows both ends of the spectrum that are in direct conflict with each other.

Is he a character that feels violence is so wrong that he will use violence to support those who first commit and continue violence? wth?

I don't necessarily hate Suzaku himself, I just don't like how they made him. And I like antagonists. It feels like they just thought an antagonist child-hood friend on the Empire's side would make a really cool character, but they built his character up so randomly and illogically.
tenken627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-13, 22:01   Link #1074
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
Suzaku is just, really really weird in his thought patterns for lack of a better description. He says things that contradict each other. He acts in a certain way that contradicts with his words. He tries to justify his actions, but you're left going like "huh?" after you hear his rationalization. And he doesn't even notice it.
Given that more than half of the people in this world are like Suzaku, I'm not even going to argue.
Old 2008-05-13, 22:01   Link #1075
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

I suppose they did the show wrong then and should have made Suzaku the protagonist since he is actually more of a hero than Lelouch.

Old 2008-05-13, 22:02   Link #1076
tenken627
what Yagi said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae View Post
Given that more than half of the people in this world are like Suzaku, I'm not even going to argue.
Really. Explain to me how?
tenken627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-13, 22:02   Link #1077
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
I suppose they did the show wrong then and should have made Suzaku the protagonist since he is actually more of a hero than Lelouch.
But then the show would be the same old stuff you always see.

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-13, 22:03   Link #1078
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Yeah, but there wouldn't be these stupid arguments and people trying to convince themselves that Lelouch is actually a good person and someone who should win.

Old 2008-05-13, 22:04   Link #1079
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
Yeah, but there wouldn't be these stupid arguments and people trying to convince themselves that Lelouch is actually a good person and someone who should win.
Well I for one wouldn't want that to happen.

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-13, 22:05   Link #1080
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Besides, given how many seem to think this way (though not all), they probably prefer it the regular way.