Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2008-12-06, 20:40   Link #1
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

Twilight

Every little tween and teen are raving about how awesome Twilight is etc etc. I personally find it one of the worst books ever written. It's like those fanfiction you find on the internet that are so bad you just want to erase it off the internet.

Wow, that was a lame OP, but yeah. Feel free to discuss Twilight here.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Hari Michiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-07, 00:21   Link #2
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
I haven't read it yet but my sisters were raging about it. Thus resulting in them to go watch it. They said it was so so.

I don't really plan on reading this book.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-07, 00:30   Link #3
blue skies
noch einmal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Michiru View Post
Every little tween and teen are raving about how awesome Twilight is etc etc. I personally find it one of the worst books ever written. It's like those fanfiction you find on the internet that are so bad you just want to erase it off the internet.
lmao, it seems like people either love it or hate it. Personally, I haven't read it and don't plan to; usually stuff that's as popular as Twilight rarely lives up to the hype. The last overhyped thing I read was The Da Vinci Code, and I hated it more than I can convey in words. The premise of Twilight just doesn't appeal to me at all.

I've heard it's like really bad Anne Rice fanfiction.
blue skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-07, 01:38   Link #4
Shinigami_Mello
All hail Oyashiro-sama

Send a message via MSN to Shinigami_Mello
Everyone is so obsessed with it, it's not even funny D:
All the girls just go "Edward" this and "Edward" that. My my. I have no plans to read it since like blue_skies, I've heard it's like a bad fanfiction.
Shinigami_Mello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-07, 01:44   Link #5
jedinat

I couldn't read more than a couple pages... then I skimmed a little and dropped it in disgust. I only even tried reading it so I could credibly disparage it. It's the kind of book people rave about only because it's one of the only books they've ever read.

I've read a lot of vampire books, and more chick lit than I care to admit... from what I gathered Twilight is derivative trash.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-07, 01:58   Link #6
DarkHonour

Twilight is sort of in the world of Western-style fiction.

It can't be compared to those Japanese kinds which consists of vampires that are aristocratic and pretty.
DarkHonour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-07, 13:28   Link #7
whitepearl
Dietrich fan #681675

Send a message via AIM to whitepearl Send a message via MSN to whitepearl
I commute into the city via subway five days a week...at least once a day I see some girl 16 to 25 reading *some* Stephenie Meyer novel.

Twitter
whitepearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-07, 14:25   Link #8
iLney

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHonour View Post
It can't be compared to those Japanese kinds which consists of vampires that are aristocratic and pretty.
Huh? I don't read Japanese fictions but is this for real ?
iLney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-07, 17:01   Link #9
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Ouch I wish I could post the the article from Uncylopedia >_< It defines twilight in a nutshell . But its NSFW due to Obscene language used . No one could summarize Twilight better .
Old 2008-12-07, 19:01   Link #10
james0246

Besides the destruction of all feminist thought and the degradation of women to a point where all they become is creatures for the male characters to lust after and give men babies (it kind of baffles the mind that a woman wrote this tripe), the first book is somewhat fun...for anyone bored out of their mind that also has a great deal of time on their hand and wants to read a comical novel.

I read the novel during a Chicago to New York train trip I took a few years ago (around the time of the books release). I ended up reading the book entirely due to the fact that I forgot to pack a book to read during my trip, so I bought the first book at one of the many magazine stands scattered throughout the train station. It took about 4-5 hours to read the book to its entirety, and most of the read was quite humorous due to the sheer silliness of the story and character.

Honestly, there is no real redeeming quality to the first book (which is all I read), but the movie is relatively okay. Sadly enough, the story bogs down what could have been a good/fun movie.

Last edited by james0246; 2008-12-07 at 19:19.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-07, 20:31   Link #11
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

My first reaction: Twilight wha?

Second reaction: yesterday I spent three hours removing a pesky virus from my little sister's computer because she was trying to "watch Twilight online," which of course I assumed was some sort of movie I didn't know about. I spent fifteen minutes after that delivering an impromptu lecture on the evils of the 'net and you know that was illegal right just to make sure so don't copy me and learn to take care of your own computer! (lol)

Conclusion: I hate it already.

Illogical? Yeah. Am I correct? Don't you dare challenge me, of course I am! The last time I rode down with a "book hype" I ended up with a fucking generic thriller conspiracy shit like The Da Vinci Code, which can't even come close to more intelligent fares like Foucault's Pendulum, no sir. Plus, vampires? Nah, it's overdone. I liked Vampire Knight for its unapologetic extravagance (The Tragedy of the Beautiful People!) similar to why I liked Code Geass so much, and I also liked Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines because it was such an incredible game, but that's about it.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-07, 20:47   Link #12
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

I found grammatical errors in the book (only read like 6 chapters of the first book before I couldn't handle being a masochist any further). I swear the editor was on drugs on something.

Old 2008-12-07, 20:49   Link #13
Supah Em
WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
*Scanlator

I enjoyed Harry Potter and Robert Langdon's adventures far more than this cheesy moments-laden series.

"How long have you been 17?"

Pathetic.
Supah Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-07, 20:53   Link #14
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supah Em View Post
I enjoyed Harry Potter and Robert Langdon's adventures far more than this cheesy moments-laden series.

"How long have you been 17?"

Pathetic.
I know! What kind of masochist would go through high school so many times?

Question 2: In his 109 years of life, why hasn't Edward been sexually aroused until now?

Old 2008-12-07, 21:56   Link #15
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

I managed to finish all 4 books in a 2 weeks time. Book 2 and 3 is good, but i am disappointed by book 4.Let's just say all that excitement that i had was gone when i read the ending. Definitely disappointing.

Edward often delivers these cliche lines that i absolutely loathe. For book 1, you can skip to the middle of the book if you want to. I think the plot is really draggy in the first half of book 1.

Did the author say anything about a possible 5th book?
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-08, 00:45   Link #16
Waking_Dreamer
Dreamer King

So Im getting by the responses...if you're not a teenage girl or particularly interested angsty teen love...then you shouldn't even think of picking up the book/series?
Waking_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-08, 01:03   Link #17
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinatsu-no-miya View Post
I managed to finish all 4 books in a 2 weeks time. Book 2 and 3 is good, but i am disappointed by book 4.Let's just say all that excitement that i had was gone when i read the ending. Definitely disappointing.

Edward often delivers these cliche lines that i absolutely loathe. For book 1, you can skip to the middle of the book if you want to. I think the plot is really draggy in the first half of book 1.

Did the author say anything about a possible 5th book?
I heard the first half the book is Edward and Bella flirting...the plot doesn't start until like..398 or something like that... xD

Apparently, SMeyers said that the 4th book is last from Bella's perspective. Let's hope she doesn't get the wrong idea and think her books are good enough to continue on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waking_Dreamer View Post
So Im getting by the responses...if you're not a teenage girl or particularly interested angsty teen love...then you shouldn't even think of picking up the book/series?
I'm a teenage girl and I say you shouldn't read it xD. Unless you're a masochist, or are bored enough to read it, and pick on every stupid cliched line Edward says, or count how many times Bella 'admires' Eddikins beauty.

Old 2008-12-08, 01:19   Link #18
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waking_Dreamer View Post
If you have free time and absolutely nothing better to do, and the book is literally right in front of you, then you can read it. In fact, it can be quite unintentionally funny in an MST3K kind of way. Otherwise, it does not really matter, it's fairly stupid, and should generally be avoided.

That being said, I have no idea why any girl/women would want to read this novel. Sure the male characters might be categorized as "cute" or "hot", but the characterization of Bella is absolutely abhorrent and she almost single-handedly destroys any women's rights movement’s accomplishments from the past 20 years (okay, I am a bit...over-the-top with this statement, but I really disliked Bella , not that the male characters were much better). If I didn't actually think this series was just a fad that would pass in a few years, then I might actually fear for the development of future generations.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-08, 01:28   Link #19
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

All my friends are traumatised with this book, I personally do not find nothing interesting on it, just a typical "romance" book, and due to the fact that I don't like romance novels, I pass with it and with the movie
Old 2008-12-08, 02:59   Link #20
Shadow Kira01

I have only saw the music video once. Twilight is generally about a teenage vampire protecting a human girl from other vampires?
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote