AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2021-08-14, 04:04   Link #1
BRG Choy

Question Shoujo/josei manga similar to Skip Beat, Gokusen, Kimi wa Pet, Utena, Oresama Teacher

I'm looking for shoujo/josei manga similar to them, with a badass or funny female lead. Anything that reminds you of them, please share.

I tried, but didn't like:

- Akatsuki no Yona (the feMC was too boring most of the time, she didn't get to be badass often enough)
- Kaichou wa Maid-sama (I really didn't like the feMC; I want a badass feMC, not a tsundere.)
BRG Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-14, 13:55   Link #2
kari-no-sugata II

Hmm. Difficult, as I think you've covered most of them.

Maybe: Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge (aka The Wallflower)
Maybe: Nodame Cantabile
It's short and yuri, but: Seifuku no Vampiress Lord
Not shoujo/josei, but: Teppuu

Also, if you like Skip Beat have you read "Tokyo Crazy Paradise" by the same author?
kari-no-sugata II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-16, 00:56   Link #3
BRG Choy

Thank you. I'll try them.
BRG Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-16, 11:22   Link #4
kari-no-sugata II

Just to add a bit more context...

In "Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge", in general the MC seems like... well, a wallflower... but she's also very introverted (shut-in) and weird and has a taste for "horror". But every so often she goes into "awesome" mode.

In "Nodame Cantabile", the MC is quite weird and funny and generally does whatever the mood takes her... but she has a few awesome scenes too. Side note: it's mostly set in university while the others are set in high school.

I'd describe the MC in "Seifuku no Vampiress Lord" as an "alpha female" - she's generally quite confident and tough. She's still feminine though - I don't mean she's a tomboy.

Though it's not shoujo/josei I suggested Teppuu because almost all the characters are female (there's like 3 male characters in the entire series but they're more background characters). Although it has a MMA setting, it's not like the MC wants to achieve some generic goal. Actually, it's more like she wants to teach another person a lesson. In effect, it's about a clash of personalities with a MMA setting. The MMC is a lone wolf type (she has one friend) with quite a twisted personality.
Old 2021-10-03, 17:37   Link #5
kari-no-sugata II

It's a bit late but here's another suggestion: Kusuriya no Hitorigoto

It's set in a sort of historical Chinese setting. MC is quite interesting - has a few screws loose and is a bit of "mad scientist" but is also very capable. Overall theme tends to follow a murder/mystery plot.

If you're okay with manhwa or similar then maybe try: The Villainess Reverses the Hourglass

It reminds me of Skip Beat slightly, with a medieval nobles setting (lots of beautiful full colour art). Anyway, basic premise is that after dying horribly the MC gets to relive her life from a younger age and correct her past mistakes. However, she's doing this purely for revenge (initially). The MC was like a cheap villainess originally and after reviving she becomes more like a real villainess... though in some ways she softens and takes a bit more of a broader view of things as well. She can be very ruthless but I wouldn't say she does anything genuinely "evil".

Tags
badass female lead, funny female lead, josei, shoujo