AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2020-07-22, 03:31   Link #1
Gingermash

Love triangle/polygon series with a broad cast

Hello there~

Im looking for a series that is either a web-novel, light-novel or a manga about the following.

"A large orchestra of characters involved with a love triangle / polygon", where the main character or main characters deal with their complex relationships.

I'd imagine something either drama, slice of life or school life would be the default genres, in regards to this, I have read most manga (I assume) that fit this troupe, however I have been unable to find a light-novel or web-novel like this that has been worth its salt.

Appreciate all recommendations and opinions
Gingermash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-22, 05:47   Link #2
Tenzen12

"School Rumble" and "When Hikaru was on the Earth" comes to mind.
Old 2020-07-23, 04:32   Link #3
Gingermash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
"School Rumble" and "When Hikaru was on the Earth" comes to mind.
Ah, School rumble what a good series.

Also regarding "When Hikaru was on the Earth" there is a manga and a novel, which would you reccomend?
Old 2020-07-23, 11:27   Link #4
Tenzen12

Manga is very good I can guarantee that much. It also cover only 1st
"Aoi" arc out of 10...
Old 2020-07-23, 12:36   Link #5
BWTraveller
Azure Dragon reborn

There's a fairly broad range with this. If you want something really dark (and I mean seriously messed up), you could try Scum's Wish, which has just about the most complicated love polygon out there. Just be forewarned, I'm not kidding about it being dark and heavy. Every last person in the story is designed to be "scum" in some way, and some of them make even that term seem very weak.

If you want to go old school, you could try Ranma 1/2. Most of the girls are after Ranma, but a lot of them (even Ranma's female version) have their own admirers.

ToraDora also fits pretty well. The main characters are dealing with unrequited love, one to a girl who seems to see him as just a friend but a very close one and the other having fallen in love with a boy after rejecting his confession, but by that time he'd moved on. And yes, the relationships are very complicated, with lots of developing feelings, suppressed feelings, indecision and more. I'm not sure how much of the light novel has been translated and published, but at least a lot of it can be found on Kindle.

I'm pretty sure a broad range of Shoujo series have at least some of this as well. For instance, House of the Sun has a girl crushing on an older childhood friend, who is also the object of affection for a coworker of his, and she herself is unaware that the man's younger brother is in love with her, among other relationship entanglements.

And of course, you can always go to TV Tropes and look up either Triang Relations or, better yet, Love Dodecahedron for a rather large list.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-27, 22:14   Link #6
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Takahashi also abused the romance genre in Kyokai no Rinne but the cast feels really quiet in comparison to Ranma 1/2

Also, the movie Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack is filled with romances though this is more like one of Tomino's sequels so you first have to know about the first Gundam series.
Old 2020-08-01, 17:19   Link #7
Haak
You stole my pen

Honey & Clover is a classic.

Works involving Mari Okada have a tendency of becoming exactly this as well. Off the top of my head there's:
True Tears
Ano Hana
A Lull In The Sea
Kiznaiver

I suppose Toradora also counts though she merely adapted it. On a similar level, there's also Waiting in the Summer by the same director as Toradora and Ano Hana (Tatsuyuki Nagai)

There also recently aired Sing Yesterday For Me
Old 2020-08-02, 00:29   Link #8
Gingermash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Honey & Clover is a classic.

Works involving Mari Okada have a tendency of becoming exactly this as well. Off the top of my head there's:
True Tears
Ano Hana
A Lull In The Sea
Kiznaiver

I suppose Toradora also counts though she merely adapted it. On a similar level, there's also Waiting in the Summer by the same director as Toradora and Ano Hana (Tatsuyuki Nagai)

There also recently aired Sing Yesterday For Me
seen them all unforch :/

A lull in the sea is actually what got me into series with these tropes actually

Nonetheless, thanks.
Old 2020-08-02, 05:32   Link #9
Haak
You stole my pen

Only other ones I can think of are Penguindrum and From The New World.
Old 2020-08-02, 16:12   Link #10
Tenzen12

Tokyo Majin - While not primarily romance, it's still on of hell complex polygon. It has broad cast too.
Old 2020-08-05, 01:04   Link #11
Gingermash

Haven't seen Tokyo Majin nor have i seen Penguindrum

I shall check them out, thanks friends