AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 22 Rating
Perfect 10 200 81.30%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 28 11.38%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 5.28%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 1.22%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.41%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.41%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-09-05, 23:20   Link #141
Aznbanana

AHHHHHH I'm so sad T___T Must hold back manly tears. Agh, the scene made me feel so emotional. Anytime something makes me feel emotional like this, i have to give it a 10. Its why i watch anime anyways, for the emotional experiences and entertainment.
Old 2007-09-06, 00:37   Link #142
Alesiopdv
True Believer of Haruhi

Nice. But not nearly as touching as the last episode of Pitaten.

Not one of the best episodes of the series.

Love the Haruhi self-joke. Change the "fourth installment" for "second season" and you get the point.
Old 2007-09-06, 00:44   Link #143
Ahasuerus
UNBOUND-ed

I rarely post as I'm fairly new to anime, and so don't have a particularly adept frame of references to be able to bring much to the table. But I HAVE been watching just about non-stop since May, and seen a boatload of series (many more than once), and Kanata's scene just about blew everything else away. I thought that Kouta and Lucy's last scene from "Elfen Lied" was the most gut-wrenching, but after this...

I'm so glad that they showed Kanata, because from the earliest episodes I wondered about her and what had happened to her. I totally wasn't expecting that it would ever be explained, and in such a powerfully emotional manner. Such a sweet couple, and it showed Konata's dad in a new light that was brilliant. Not only that, but he really did choose the one who was for him, as she did (reminded me of Chobits in that way)...

I forgot who made the Youtube posting of it, but Thank You I've got all the eps so far, but it's nice to have the scene isolated so I can share it. I've watched it six times, and each time it's as (bitter)sweet as the first.

I don't like to give out 10s, but this one easily made the grade, what with the other scenes included. Kanata's scene overpowered them all.

And as for all the "manly tears" stuff... you DO know that men can cry, and are able to cry, and do cry, and there's NOTHING to be ashamed about it? Holding back tears does NOT mean you're a man. Isn't it ever so much better to not be yet another calloused unfeeling shlub stomping "manfully" through life, all macho and thick as a brick? Unpeel the callous, and FEEL IT! That's what we are here for

Jeez, I had tears running down my face each time, and GRATEFUL that I came across this creation that was able to induce me to feel as I did.

IMHO, that scene typified anime at it's finest. Bravo to all involved

More please

P.S.: Is it my imagination, or is Aya's Konata blowing Haruhi out of the water? (and I love her Haruhi). She is SO talented (and funny)!
Old 2007-09-06, 01:03   Link #144
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
From what I've seen, I think that Kona-chan's health is fine, otherwise she'd be more like Yutaka and wouldn't have been able to do that run in episode 1 (not to mention the Hare Hare Yukai dance!).

True.

But some of you need to see those MADs. That's when I'll see rivers of manly tears being shed.
Old 2007-09-06, 01:30   Link #145
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alesiopdv View Post

Love the Haruhi self-joke. Change the "fourth installment" for "second season" and you get the point.
Not really, I think they are really poking fun at Full Metal Panic. Fans long wanted a sequel after Second Raid, and I can understand them.
Old 2007-09-06, 01:42   Link #146
jaziek
Does an elope taste good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Not really, I think they are really poking fun at Full Metal Panic. Fans long wanted a sequel after Second Raid, and I can understand them.
ITS COMING!! DONT SAY IT ISNT!!
Old 2007-09-06, 01:45   Link #147
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

@health discussion: aye, Konata appears to have her dad's good health. Yutaka, on the other hand, is a bit worrisome for the future.

@Aya's performance: I don't even have to wince. Aya's Konata performance is miles above her Haruhi gig... but that's because Haruhi was relatively simple outside of the emoting. The Konata character is full of mutters, growls, chirps, and burbles in addition to her vocal pacing weirdness and speech patterns. Its a more difficult role and whether you like the Konata characterization or not, its much more of a stretch for a VA.
Old 2007-09-06, 05:47   Link #148
Leedizzle

Is it wrong of me to think to expect some hot Konata and Kagami action in Lucky Star, sometime in the near future.
Old 2007-09-06, 06:29   Link #149
EXEs
Hallelujah...

Quote:
Originally posted by Leedizzle
Is it wrong of me to think to expect some hot Konata and Kagami action in Lucky Star, sometime in the near future.
In doujins, yeah, but seriously, do you really think they would put that stuff in the anime?
Old 2007-09-06, 07:45   Link #150
Echoes

Long time Lucky-Star lurker, first time poster.

I've always watched Lucky Star purely for entertainment and laughs, not really developing any affection for characters other than Konata. This episode was definitely something else, though. It brought it to a whole other level. They surely know how to switch the focus from comedy to drama, I was basically brought to tears by those scenes. The scenes with Kanata were nothing short of beautiful.
Old 2007-09-06, 10:04   Link #151
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
Quote:
In doujins, yeah, but seriously, do you really think they would put that stuff in the anime?
Which brings one thing to my attention. I actually wanted to post it earlier, but I was never around the computer whenever it crossed my mind. I really hope that Doujin/Eromanga artists will spare Kanata from their works. Obviously I don't have much faith that it will happen, but after seeing episode 22, Kanata's image is just one of those I wouldn't like to see ruined and perverted.

@Kaioshin_Sama:
I can certainly see the point you're making, and I understand that it might not be that dramatic for a character who we've never seen before to get an appearance like Kanata's. However, I think that this scene had such an impact on -almost- everyone because of it's unexpectedness. I mean, out of 22 episodes, this is one of the two or three "serious" scenes in the entire series, and by far the most dramatic one. It also came at a very peculiar time and with a very peculiar setting, so I think that, this time, the shock was more powerful than reason.

Besides, I don't think most of us watch Lucky Star with a very critical eye other than the cultural references and things of the sort, which, IMHO, adds to the socking factor the segment had.

However, like I said before, I think the scene didn't completely leave the L*S style, adding in a few mother/daughter combo jokes and things of the sort. Of course, the setting changes from a lighthearted evening conversation to the dramatic remembering of a tragic but beautiful love story, but if they wanted to make a smooth transition from the L*S style to a more serious one, I think they would have done so.

Like, for example, you see Konata and Soujirou in the room and he asks her "Are you lonely without mom?" "Not really, you're lively as two people. It's just that I don't know much about her". At that time, the scene moves to his surprised face and then Kona's PS2/3 control while she's playing. Right at that time, with no background music and with such a strange setting, I started to feel that something was coming. And yeah, I wasn't wrong.

Quote:
And as for all the "manly tears" stuff... you DO know that men can cry, and are able to cry, and do cry, and there's NOTHING to be ashamed about it? Holding back tears does NOT mean you're a man. Isn't it ever so much better to not be yet another calloused unfeeling shlub stomping "manfully" through life, all macho and thick as a brick? Unpeel the callous, and FEEL IT! That's what we are here for
Well, I understand what you mean and really, I have nothing against anyone who'd cry watching this scene, because it deserves as many tears as it can get. However, I have my reasons for not crying, even if I did want to contribute to the shedding of tears that will be forever remembered from this episode.

Quote:
@Aya's performance: I don't even have to wince. Aya's Konata performance is miles above her Haruhi gig... but that's because Haruhi was relatively simple outside of the emoting. The Konata character is full of mutters, growls, chirps, and burbles in addition to her vocal pacing weirdness and speech patterns. Its a more difficult role and whether you like the Konata characterization or not, its much more of a stretch for a VA.
I second that. I'm not a blind fan of SHnY but I appreciate the quality of the series. As much as Hirano Aya's performance in it was remarkable, I don't think that Kona-chan will be surpassed in the near future. She changes tones really often, has her little emotional explosions and can go from moe mode to grim, blue-gradient face mode in a snap. And, of course, "Kagamin~" will never be forgotten!

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Old 2007-09-06, 12:51   Link #152
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I agree, that was definitely a reference to Full Metal Panic. The next one would be the fourth installment, plus it's suppose to be a series that Kagami is actually interested in according to the conversation, and we already know she's a FMP fan.

As for the actual episode, I definitely loved the Kanata scenes. I totally felt the tears well up in my eyes, lol. It allowed us to see a side of Konata and her father that we usually don't see often, and I think that was important for characterization, especially in a character-driven show like this. I'm also feeling pretty confident that Kyoto Animation's adaptation of Clannad will be good too after this. Good that they're getting some practice in. ^_^

I must additionally agree that Hirano Aya's performance in LS has been the best I've heard from her yet. Konata is just too much fun to listen to.
Old 2007-09-06, 13:03   Link #153
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
I agree, that was definitely a reference to Full Metal Panic. The next one would be the fourth installment, plus it's suppose to be a series that Kagami is actually interested in according to the conversation, and we already know she's a FMP fan....
And the director of FMP, Takemoto Yasuhiro, is the new director (since ep5) of this show, but not the director of SHnY.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-09-06, 14:14   Link #154
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

i just remembered L*S is a 24 ep anime right? Then thus this mean 2 more eps to go right? Correct me if Iam wrong. I'll miss those loli's especially Konata, Kanata, Misao and Minami.
Old 2007-09-06, 14:24   Link #155
rainnydaiis
Let it Rain

Send a message via MSN to rainnydaiis
I watched the episode when it was sub'd and out. After watching the episode, with all the laughs and all the funny times. Seeing this episode was just a beautiful moment. I gave it a 10 and it seems like a whole lot of other people agreed

And of course the ED was just hilarious.
Old 2007-09-06, 16:51   Link #156
Ahasuerus
UNBOUND-ed

I'd never so badly wanted to be able to send a "Thank you for that" to a studio before; but that language barrier makes it a moot point I guess. It was a pretty cool little surprise; I'm sure the director(s?) knew what they were doing to their fans

"Nice touch" is an understatement

Even though I've enjoyed pretty much every minute, I was kind of on the fence before about buying the series, but that scene clinched it. Guess I'm just a Sentimental Fool, and there's really not much wrong with that
Old 2007-09-06, 17:26   Link #157
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Quote:
I'd never so badly wanted to be able to send a "Thank you for that" to a studio before; but that language barrier makes it a moot point I guess. It was a pretty cool little surprise; I'm sure the director(s?) knew what they were doing to their fans

"Nice touch" is an understatement

Even though I've enjoyed pretty much every minute, I was kind of on the fence before about buying the series, but that scene clinched it. Guess I'm just a Sentimental Fool, and there's really not much wrong with that
I will send them a letter, in english, thanking them for this episode as soon as I finish a vector I'm doing of the scene Kanata, Konata and Soujirou are in the same picture. They might not understand it, but I'll have sent it anyway. I really can't tell if being sick all week made me lose the will to do anything that's not related this episode 22 of Lucky*Star. Perhaps things would be different if I was in perfect health, but who knows.

I'll post it in here when I get the time to actually write it. Maybe some of us can send other letters to thank them for their great work as well.

Edit: Don't know if any of you feel masochist enough to share the hole of disgrace with me. But if you do, watch this video and read these lyrics. Ps.: Video was posted originally by Rion Steiner in the AMV thread, but it doesn't have a lot of attention as this topic, so.

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Old 2007-09-06, 18:23   Link #158
Leedizzle

Well, I was thinking more like a kiss, you know like Strawberry Panic style or something along those lines. I didn't really mean full on lesbian, well I did but I do not expect it from the anime.
Old 2007-09-06, 18:27   Link #159
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Quote:

Well, I was thinking more like a kiss, you know like Strawberry Panic style or something along those lines. I didn't really mean full on lesbian, well I did but I do not expect it from the anime.
Well, the anime is full of jabs and mentions to Yuri, but I don't think it'll go that far. Obviously, Kagami and Kona are close friends and there is that fell of "romance" between the two ( might be just fanboy imagination, but you make the call ), but I'd really doubt that they would throw a Kagamin~xKona moment like that. If they did, it would probably be a prank by Konata which would leave Kagami completely furious.

Old 2007-09-06, 18:52   Link #160
Ahasuerus
UNBOUND-ed

Thanks Zero, that was a beautiful video, and the lyrics were especially fitting.

Quote:
Even if I get hurt sometimes, I want to keep feeling you
Yes, that sums it up quite nicely

As for the yuri scene, that would be SO out of place I really doubt they'd go so far as to trivialize their game plan with such a thing. This isn't a hentai anime, after all, there are places you can go for that. Why dirty such a slice-of-life with nothing more than a fanboy fantasy?

I just had a Forum-mate on another forum "reprimand" me for "overestimating the impact of this scene" and also suggesting that "one of them obsessing about writing her underage friends into a yuri manga" was not something that normal girls do (quotes are just estimates). Well, that's not what it's about, and Tsukasa's remarks (IIRC it was her?) were not meant to be taken literally. I have nothing against hentai anime, but let's keep them separate if possible. It has no place in Lucky Star, and would seem just a cheap attempt at fan service where it's not needed.

I mean, the whole thing is practically fan service, only in every way but blatantly sexual. All the anime and manga references, the ultimate lolicon-ness of all the girls, the otaku father, the karaoke, the Haruhi-ness... maybe all these don't technically equal fan service, but really, if this isn't servicing anime fans I don't know what is!

I think these little comments from the girls and Konata's dad are only sly winks sent to us, and Kanata's scene was a "haha, gotcha!" from them to us, and for that I say, "Yep, you did! Thank you "

Hope you're feeling better soon
Closed Thread