AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-05-06, 05:30   Link #141
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Which reminds me, one of my corp members made a short tutorial from Singularity explaining some of the things that goes on with Planetary interaction. Quite informative.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-09, 13:14   Link #142
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicoX View Post
Which reminds me, one of my corp members made a short tutorial from Singularity explaining some of the things that goes on with Planetary interaction. Quite informative.
Oh man, Planet Interaction can be done in Empire too. I am not exactly thrilled by the carebear drama.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-09, 16:19   Link #143
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

so whens the expansion that lets you walk on "feet" comin out?
Old 2010-05-09, 17:14   Link #144
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
so whens the expansion that lets you walk on "feet" comin out?
Much much much much later.

And I think I have succumbed to the cyberpunk charms of the Gila and the Rattlesnake. Not to mention that the Scorpion hull gonna have a kickass facelift.

Ok I admit that putting my missile skills to some use was one of the reasons; moreover, having skilled caldari and gallente, I thought to myself "Why the hell not?".

Also I prefer shield tanking more than armor tanking. How much I cringed and winced when my armor started melting? And I was praying that the armor repairer healed my armor just in time while I sweat over my capacitor level going down fast.

Last edited by Sheba; 2010-05-09 at 17:25. Reason: adding stuff
Old 2010-05-10, 02:34   Link #145
Ending

Last time I posted in this thread I was about to begin playing Eve. Well, six months later, I'm about to quit. This game really doesn't feel like a game, since most of the time you can't affect what's going on. Character improvement is tied to real time, cash for equipment comes from grinding (which is tedious for a newbie), and to PvP you need cash. It's a spiral of doom.

But what really was the last straw was the fact that there really isn't anything worth striving for. I created a spy, fully focusing on all covert ops/navigation/buffing skills, only to find out that pretty much everyone already has a similar alt and that they are used only to find the initial warp in point before being thrown aside by the "real men" (DPS battleships).

I also tried wormholes, since salvaging and hacking for some abandoned loot sounded fun. It could had been -except that everything is guarded either by NPC pirates or sleepers. Both of which can blow up a covert ops ship in a single volley, so scratch that. Then there is PvP, which could had been fun if not for the lack of ISK and proper alliance to back me up.

On top of this all, the space is as dull as it gets and there is nothing to see or explore. Once you have seen one system you have seen them all. Every sun and planet is exactly like any other and there are no forces beyond your own and what other players do. It's all static. Frankly, that's boring.

So, in the end, Eve was somewhat of a failure. It had such good potential and I kinda believed that it only required some dedication to make it work. It's not like that (and don't let the fans tell you otherwise): Eve really is a boring game when it comes to actually doing stuff. Don't take just my word of it: here's a video from Zero Punctuation. I still have some 60 days left in my account, but I'm hopeful that some sucker will buy it from me.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-10, 05:11   Link #146
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ending View Post
Last time I posted in this thread I was about to begin playing Eve. Well, six months later, I'm about to quit. This game really doesn't feel like a game, since most of the time you can't affect what's going on. Character improvement is tied to real time, cash for equipment comes from grinding (which is tedious for a newbie), and to PvP you need cash. It's a spiral of doom.
There are much more way to make money than grinding missions or stripping roids. Ramsoning rich carebears for money if you are willing to slip past the Lawlessness Event Horizon, researching and crafting as long as you invested for the skills and the faction standings, trading and playing the market as long as you can pay attention to the movements of the market (like how people hoarded veldspar until the crash of the titanium price, or how some people hoarded some Hulks knowing that Hulkaggeddon will come). Or just buy PLEX and sell them on the market, there is no shame in doing it whereas in other games (like RO) it would be a practice that is frowned upon. Or you have rich friends.
EVE don't want you to try just enough, or hard. EVE demand you to try FUCKING HARD.

Also I like the way character skill leveling work. How much I raged in RO when I busted my ass off to level my character to level 99 in like two years while lazy fuckers took the easy way in just two weeks by afking while their friend farmed Lord of Death so they can talk shit in forums about how they owned people in PvP rooms.

Quote:
But what really was the last straw was the fact that there really isn't anything worth striving for. I created a spy, fully focusing on all covert ops/navigation/buffing skills, only to find out that pretty much everyone already has a similar alt and that they are used only to find the initial warp in point before being thrown aside by the "real men" (DPS battleships).
Covert Ops are kinda expected to scout for the real men. Not really to commando the enemies. Seriously, while appealing, stealth bombers are kinda hard to fit in a niche because there are always ships doing it better than them. Really, their only point is to scout, imo.

Quote:
I also tried wormholes, since salvaging and hacking for some abandoned loot sounded fun. It could had been -except that everything is guarded either by NPC pirates or sleepers. Both of which can blow up a covert ops ship in a single volley, so scratch that. Then there is PvP, which could had been fun if not for the lack of ISK and proper alliance to back me up.
Man, you were doing it wrong. Sure, wormholes seems fun but you have been barely playing what? Six months? If people tells you that Sleepers rape battleships for breakfast, what can you expect to do when you are sort of a "young" pilot? I am playing this game since last July, with a three months pause for budget reasons and I sure know I won't touch a wormhole before I am comfortable with my ships, skills and money.

Quote:

On top of this all, the space is as dull as it gets and there is nothing to see or explore. Once you have seen one system you have seen them all. Every sun and planet is exactly like any other and there are no forces beyond your own and what other players do. It's all static. Frankly, that's boring.
On the aesthetic side, yes I do wish to see beauties such as a binary, or even a ternary system, or some comets here and there, a nova here, a supernova there or even a pulsar and a black hole. But I know for sure that CCP is SLOWLY working to make the game better. Slowly but surely unlike companies like Gravity. And I can bet that they know their priorities. Planetary Interaction is a sign of that care.
Quote:
So, in the end, Eve was somewhat of a failure. It had such good potential and I kinda believed that it only required some dedication to make it work. It's not like that (and don't let the fans tell you otherwise)
I don't call a game a failure when its fanbase and player base had been steadily increasing over the years unlike some games like LOL RO which have seen its players/servers dropping from 12k in 2003 beta to below 1k now.
Also, your actions may not matter on the individual and small scale, it's what you do and where you do that may have counted in the bigger picture. I am a small scrub in the big nasty universe and I am happy with what I have and what I do. Intercorporation politics and powerblocks playing is not my cup of tea but I sure do know that some people enjoys it.

Quote:
Eve really is a boring game when it comes to actually doing stuff. Don't take just my word of it: here's a video from Zero Punctuation. I still have some 60 days left in my account, but I'm hopeful that some sucker will buy it from me.
It's a boring game if you don't know what to do and don't have agoal in mind (becoming an industrial tycoon, a fleet commander, a feared pirate, etc..).

PS: Don't mistake it for a "Oh no! Don't leave!" kind of post. I just wanted to say that you were not trying hard enough for what the game demand you to do when you want to reach that goal. But if you want to leave, do so. People have done it, some do come back and some never do.

PPS: A TV comparison would be Gordon Ramsay's show. Guy's restaurant is failing even tho they say that they works 90 hours a week. But the world want you to do MORE and work HARDER. So does EVE. Yes, it is a ruthless and heartless game, driven by sharks, raptors, sociopaths and potential pedophiles. And you, the new player, are the Little Red Hood.

Last edited by Sheba; 2010-05-10 at 05:31.
Old 2010-05-10, 05:29   Link #147
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Sheba basically nailed all the points. Judging from your opinion, EVE just isn't for you. This is an unforgiving game and rather than help you, will smack you down again. Be it mechanics or other players.

Regarding cov-ops and ships similar to them, they are meant as scouting and cyno deployment for a bigger fleet. Sure, they can solo somewhat in and operate in small gang warfare, but it isn't a SOLOWTFPWN-mobile, as some people think the Black Ops is. Btw, wormholes aren't supposed to be easy for new pilots. You have to work for it.

Regarding ISK, well... that's sort of the point. You get ISK, you buy a ship and get it blown up in PvP (if you don't do PvE), rinse and repeat. It's extremely easy to get, it just take some time to get to L4 missions, which pay off immediately and is often the best way to get ISK (although very boring at times).

And boy am I glad it's IRL time training. That means I can play when I want to, rather than grind XP like say WoW.

And again, corps and alliances are where it's at. I've been in the same corp for a year now and had a blast. In EVE, the people makes the game.

Old 2010-05-10, 08:59   Link #148
Ending

@ Sheba

Ransoming can be fun for some, but that's not what I wanted from Eve. That's for dirtbags. But really: while it's possible, most of the time it's about 1v1000 instead of 1v1 with a lot of boring roaming in between.

I know covert ops are for scouting. Thing is... any alt can scout. During my time in A-VILQ, before Sylph Alliance disbanded, pretty much everyone and their granny simply parked their covert ops alt in the desired system and when they were needed they simply changed account. Hence no one really needed a dedicated covert ops pilot. Hence no one was willing to pay me iskies of doing the job for them and my primary profession became a time- and money-sink. >.>

I also know that wormholes are somewhere in the upper echolons, but that's beside the point. The point is that, as a scout, my job was to scan for sites and let others know of anything valuable. That's it -and it's not enough, because again it's something anyone can do. I found it disappointing that Eve resorts to something as lame as out-of-nowhere WTFPWN'ing mobs to stop us scouts from doing what we should be able to do. This restricts salvaging and hacking to battleships only.
Quote:
But I know for sure that CCP is SLOWLY working to make the game better.
Sure. Or worse, remembering what you said about RO It will be too late for me anyway, since -incidentally- I'm thinking of trying RO next.

Quote:
I don't call a game a failure when its fanbase and player base had been steadily increasing over the years--
I do not represent anyone but myself and my opinion is that Eve Online is a boring game. Just saying that it could be a lot better and the folks at Zero Punctuation agree.

Quote:
Yes, it is a ruthless and heartless game, driven by sharks, raptors, sociopaths and potential pedophiles. And you, the new player, are the Little Red Hood.
You are painting a romantic picture about the game. It's true too, which is why I have abided the boredom for six months. Yet the problem stays the same: the road to becoming any of these is a boring one and that makes it a bad game.
Old 2010-05-10, 09:12   Link #149
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ending View Post

Sure. Or worse, remembering what you said about RO It will be too late for me anyway, since -incidentally- I'm thinking of trying RO next.
RO IS shitty. They let the balance issues rot the game for so long that when they decided to fix it, it was already too late as most of players already jumped the sinking ship to WoW or other games.

When a designed tank class (knight or lord knight) is rendered obsolete by a class that can put lot of DEFense and can heal as long as it have mana, and also have a spell that boost mana regen, I call it shitty balance.

And when Gravity's solution to imbalance is to give one-hit kills or things coming close to it to two more classes that are not monks (biochemists and sin crosses), it IS shitty game balance.

Finally, when I realized that the much advertised improvements for the Knights' third class is going to suck compared to Gravity's Darling (*hint*stealthy), I decided to go "FUCK THAT SHIT! I AM OUT!".

Bottomline: RO sucks, Gravity HATES melee classes that are not assassins with a burning passion, it should have died, it took me five years to realize that.

Quote:

You are painting a romantic picture about the game. It's true too, which is why I have abided the boredom for six months. Yet the problem stays the same: the road to becoming any of these is a boring one and that makes it a bad game.
You call that a romantic picture? Dude, I got a dozen of ships blown up by other players who did it because they thought that they could. It's anything but romantic.
As for achieving those ambitions, it was stated nowhere that there are going to be an easy and funny road.Not to mention that other games are equally guilty of being boring and tedious to an extent.

Lineage 2? Yes, it's pretty and you can stare at pretty elven asses, but enjoy korean retarded grind.

RO? Same deal, also unless you are Luno you will never be able to anticipate the incoming changes of the market and therefore never be rich. And I don't mean 500M rich but something like several billions scaterred across each characters of two or three accounts and having +9/+10 sets of equipment. Wanna try your luck hunting a rare card? Enjoy camping the same mobs, hours after hours, days after days and weeks that becomes months in hope to get a Golden Thief Bug, Ghostring or Maya card. Also, did I mention that you will be in competition with other players who just don't give a rat ass about you? And when you play a knight or a blacksmith, you may start thinking that Gravity HATES YOU.

WoW? Well, I am not thrilled by the idea of raiding a boss repeatedly in hope that it may drop the uber piece of elite equipment that I wanted.

Last edited by Sheba; 2010-05-10 at 09:42.
Old 2010-05-11, 01:33   Link #150
Ending

Asian MMO's tend to be grindy, true. Lineage and Aion aren't the only ones, but I enjoyed playing WoW for 3-4 years. Nowdays you don't have to grind the bosses that much, since you can always buy the best gear for tokens or near-the-best for gold. Or then you go to one of those farming runs with an old guild and get everything for free during one run. Takes zero effort, zero risk, really.

I don't really care for money in any MMO, so that's not an issue as long as there are other ways to improve one's character. Part of the reason why Eve feels tedious.

Ye, I read about healers and sinx'es. Thing is... I enjoy playing both an assassin and a healer, so after being a target dummy in WoW (priest) and Eve (scout/logistics) for so long I have a lot of bend up hatred just begging for some release. The more overpowered the merrier. Man, I would just love to mop the floor with the rest of the playerbase and piss on the remains. By the sound of it RO offers an excellent chance for this
Old 2010-05-22, 03:30   Link #151
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

3 video dev interviews has been released on the Tyrannis splash page, found here: http://www.eveonline.com/tyrannis/videos.asp

Quite informative about PI, EVEGate ad other stuff and a look into their offices is never wrong.

Old 2010-05-22, 20:00   Link #152
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Then there is PvP, which could had been fun if not for the lack of ISK and proper alliance to back me up.
You don't need a huge alliance or tons of ISK to PVP. My corp is 26 members, and even though we're in a fairly big lowsec alliance friendly to some big guys (Cry Havoc, Invicta), I can count with my hands the times we've been out with alliance gangs (mostly it happens when capitals get involved). Our gangs are mostly reduced to less than 10 members, most of times just 5 or 6. And then again, I fly mostly T1 stuff, which is practically free--the cost of an insured BC is roughly 10-15m, a BS costs 30m. And you can also go to 0.0 and PVP in small stuff without fear of gateguns instapopping you.

Quote:
I know covert ops are for scouting. Thing is... any alt can scout. During my time in A-VILQ, before Sylph Alliance disbanded, pretty much everyone and their granny simply parked their covert ops alt in the desired system and when they were needed they simply changed account. Hence no one really needed a dedicated covert ops pilot. Hence no one was willing to pay me iskies of doing the job for them and my primary profession became a time- and money-sink. >.>
No wonder no one will bother with being a "dedicated scout" since a covops pilot is roughly 3m SP.

If you REALLY want to be of use in a similar role, try to spec for Recons. Recons are extremely useful ships and they're also really fun to fly, and since they can fit a covops cloak they usually double as scouts. There's also not as many people who can pilot those since they are T2 and require more specialization. Rapier and Arazu are some of the most useful ships for ANY sort of small gang. And if you want to piss people off you can always fly a Falcon.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-24, 03:08   Link #153
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

And I got pod killed for the first time, while going back from 0.0 to Empire for some purchase. I was in a noobship and Night on the Bald Mountain was playing in my playlist.
Old 2010-05-24, 09:58   Link #154
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

The only times I got podkilled was due to smartbombs, once in Rancer and another time on the Jita gate in Perimeter while traveling in a goddamn shuttle (yes I'm an unlucky bastard) -- though I once derped pretty badly after a close 1v1 against a Stabber Fleet Issue and let him point my pod before warping away (got away with a small ransom vOv).

Old 2010-05-24, 10:53   Link #155
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

A very unlucky day today, I got one more podkill, I was only bringing a blackbird to my 0.0 station, to help my corp. Bubbles really annoyed me. But well, I HAVE to learn how to deal with such annoyance some day or I will never do. This makes me realize I need to level my skills some more (1), raise up my standings with the Gallente Federal Intelligence and the Ammatar Consulate so I can install jump clones.

Now that I am in a corp and an alliance, I am well aware that I will have to fight when the need arise, and getting pod killed taught me people won't care if you are just a passer-by who meant no harm the hard way. In 0.0, it's safer to assume that any orange would like to add me to their killmail and that any red WILL.

(1) I am atm skilling caldari cruiser V for when I'll fly a blackbird for some backline jewing and later fly a Tengu that can fit this nifty propulsion system that can ignore bubbles. I will need to skill electronic upgrade to level 5, just so I can open the path to cov ops and recons.

PS: do note how I started gallente then slowly turned... more Caldari-like.
Old 2010-05-24, 11:07   Link #156
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

I always run by NBSI policy, hence neutrals and reds are considered hostile regardless of sec-status. Since I've been in 0.0 for a few weeks now, I'm extremely paranoid even in low-sec... and it does happen I shout "NEUT!" into my corp channel in high-sec just out of habit. Cue taunts.

The positive thing is I rarely get caught in camps or while ratting. Avoiding bubbles is relatively easy; warp to the closest planet, scan and weigh your chances. If you're lucky the bubble is only just between gates. If not... Well I know what happens. Belts just require me to pay attention. I'm lucky because I've only been podded thrice during my entire career, but neither in 0.0... My time will come.

Currently I'm skilling my main up to an Anshar and a fully T2 fitted support carrier to help my Alliance logistics among other things. After that it's on towards HACs. The second alt is heading towards Caldari EWAR in preparation to join the main in 0.0 and the third can fly an Orca in 5 days.

Old 2010-05-28, 13:32   Link #157
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Has anyone tried the planet interaction feature then? I would like to know because manufacturing nanite repair paste might interest me.
Old 2010-05-28, 19:01   Link #158
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

You can't until June 8 anyways.

From what I played in SiSi I can say that:

1) it has PVP and griefing potential
2) hisec planet suck balls

which can be good for lowsec. Depending on how many people do it, though.

Old 2016-03-31, 20:08   Link #159
Psyco Diver

https://community.eveonline.com/news...tle-of-m-oee8/

Almost made me resub to the game, but I remember I have a real life and don't want to lose it to this game again. Seriously though I miss stuff like this but the meta has changed so much I don't I could do anything other than die
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote