AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2003-11-05, 11:29   Link #1
ff7799
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ff7799 Send a message via MSN to ff7799
Public translations(fansubbers must read) !!!!

Hola All. I'am currently starting up a small service for fansubbing groups. Most of my translations for the series I do will soon be available for use by any fansubbing group however their is a requirement ,we must be credited as the source of translations. Fansubbing groups can also request that we translate episodes. Currently I have some of the fastest translators around so you can expect your work to be completed quickly, Please note Their are a few series that I will not release translations for such as Airmaster. I look forward to hearing your feedback, starting next friday my site should be up with all the translations I have completed so far.

Last edited by ff7799; 2003-11-06 at 01:05.
ff7799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-05, 12:17   Link #2
megumidk
Chii ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff7799
Fansubbing groups can also request that we translate episodes for a specific series but in those cases a donation must be recieved prior to us releasing the translation.
It is just me or are you actually saying that you want people to pay you to translate ?
megumidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-05, 12:48   Link #3
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by megumidk
It is just me or are you actually saying that you want people to pay you to translate ?
Funny, that's what I heard too.

Hmmm... I think I saw someone posting on the old forums, asking for PayPal donations for some reason or other. He was banned, I think. Anyway, requesting payment for doing fansubbing work is... not good, shall we say? You're basically doing the same thing bootleggers are, earning money off other peoples works.
Old 2003-11-05, 17:26   Link #4
GipFace

Currently I have some of the fastest translators around

Fast does not mean it's good.

With that aside, I don't think anyone will use your service, so there's no point in pimping it. Anyone reputable will either already have TLs or will think twice before using some unknown person's script. You'll earn more respect if you just give them to a site like scriptclub.org.
GipFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-05, 17:45   Link #5
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Fansub groups already have translators, why would they pay for you to do it?
Old 2003-11-05, 18:29   Link #6
Tabiree
FUNimation's Gen Fukunaga

fast + using audio source for translation = bad
Tabiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-05, 20:03   Link #7
ff7799
Banned

I said I would make all the translations my group subbs public but I know its hard for fansubbers to find translators so if their was a episode for almost any series that they wanted done they could request it from me. As far as charging goes its only a optional donation. This is the same thing that Bram Cohen does. I'am not charging just asking for a donation.
Old 2003-11-05, 20:08   Link #8
megumidk
Chii ?

Please read your own opening post, it states that donations has to be paid before the translation is released.
megumidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-05, 20:29   Link #9
Lucier
Lunar Translator

sounds wierd...
Why not just join an existing fansubbing group?

I like the idea (tho I don't really support payment...)
but...
it seems somehow wierd...

Though it would be nice for translating older series... ^^;
all the new one have 3+ groups working on them, so.... yeah... older series need more TLs.
And of course, as Gipface said, fast doesn't mean good.
Accuracy is more important than speed =)
(though both is great)
Lucier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-05, 20:45   Link #10
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by megumidk
Quote:
I said I would make all the translations my group subbs public but I know its hard for fansubbers to find translators so if their was a episode for almost any series that they wanted done they could request it from me. As far as charging goes its only a optional donation. This is the same thing that Bram Cohen does. I'am not charging just asking for a donation.
Please read your own opening post, it states that donations has to be paid before the translation is released.
It does, but let's accept that what he has just said is a clarification. If his original post was a error, then he means that he hopes for donations, but doesn't require them. Right ff7799?

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-06, 01:01   Link #11
monir
cho~ kakkoii

This is a first...I am actually embarrassed reading a post...
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-06, 01:12   Link #12
ff7799
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
It does, but let's accept that what he has just said is a clarification. If his original post was a error, then he means that he hopes for donations, but doesn't require them. Right ff7799?
heh lol. Thats what I meant, I can't force anyone for a donation and I will help anyone regardless if I recieve one.
Old 2003-11-06, 06:16   Link #13
Digital-Kitty
Evil Supreme Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GipFace
Currently I have some of the fastest translators around

Fast does not mean it's good.

With that aside, I don't think anyone will use your service, so there's no point in pimping it. Anyone reputable will either already have TLs or will think twice before using some unknown person's script. You'll earn more respect if you just give them to a site like scriptclub.org.
Your a laugh riot. Actually, there is no shame in using an unknown script or a public translation. Someone reputable would likely put another translator on it to check it though. Seriously, if you compare Anime-Keeps translation of Mahoujin GuruGuru with the public translation posted to Scriptclub.org by monmon, theyre pretty much over 90% exact. Looks like a safe bet there, and Ive seen others in the past too. I dont think it happens more often because hardly anyone ever releases translations or scripts anymore.

Im guessing ff7799 will likely get raped by requests if the translators are good and probrobly even if they arent. Fast doesnt mean good, but it doesnt mean bad either. There are pleanty of wannabes out there if anything who would likely be interested.
Digital-Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-06, 10:24   Link #14
GipFace

Lollz, let's bring out the riot squad!

Actually, there is no shame in using an unknown script or a public translation.

Sure there is ... which is why things are re-translated even though there are public scripts available.

Someone reputable would likely put another translator on it to check it though.

Groups that use this service will probably not have a translator available in the first place. Anyone who does have a TLer will just use him or her anyway. It's a lose-lose situation.

Seriously, if you compare Anime-Keeps translation of Mahoujin GuruGuru with the public translation posted to Scriptclub.org by monmon, theyre pretty much over 90% exact.

But it's the 10% that makes a difference. Out of 350 or so lines, I don't want 35 lines to be incorrect.

Nah ... it's still a bad idea.
GipFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-06, 11:34   Link #15
NeverRamza

Quote:
Originally Posted by GipFace
Actually, there is no shame in using an unknown script or a public translation.

Sure there is ... which is why things are re-translated even though there are public scripts available.

Someone reputable would likely put another translator on it to check it though.

Groups that use this service will probably not have a translator available in the first place. Anyone who does have a TLer will just use him or her anyway. It's a lose-lose situation.

Seriously, if you compare Anime-Keeps translation of Mahoujin GuruGuru with the public translation posted to Scriptclub.org by monmon, theyre pretty much over 90% exact.

But it's the 10% that makes a difference. Out of 350 or so lines, I don't want 35 lines to be incorrect.

Nah ... it's still a bad idea.
You're making a much bigger deal out of this than you should be. What is so bad about using someone else's script? Unless you're making the translations yourself with no aid at all, it's all the same. Why does it matter if you're using a script that someone else may or may not have used? The goal is to subtitle anime and allow others to watch it and nothing superficially more. Don't be so pretentious about it.

And second, a 10% difference does not mean that 10% is incorrect. Some of the translating of Japanese is left to interpretation because there is no exact way to do it. Also, there's a chance that the Anime-Keep version wasn't exactly correct in the first place so in some cases the translation may possibly be better.
NeverRamza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-06, 13:17   Link #16
ff7799
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverRamza

And second, a 10% difference does not mean that 10% is incorrect. Some of the translating of Japanese is left to interpretation because there is no exact way to do it. Also, there's a chance that the Anime-Keep version wasn't exactly correct in the first place so in some cases the translation may possibly be better.
that is very correct about the interpretation for example in naruto episode 55 where sakura goes to visit sasuke in the hospital when the nurse realizes that sasuke is gone she runs of yelling sensei which is reffering to the doctor, now depending on the situation the word sensei means different things, so when speaking to your martial arts master you can call them sensei which would also be translated as master, while when speaking to a school teacher saying sensei would be interpreted as proffesor. Another word that is left up to interpretation is the word baka, the general definition of baka is idiot however depending on the situation and the speech being used it can be interpreted as fool,stupid,and a few other terms to describe a moron. I know it seems wierd but this really just shows you how deep the japanese language really is.

Last edited by ff7799; 2003-11-06 at 13:46.
Old 2003-11-06, 13:41   Link #17
Digital-Kitty
Evil Supreme Kitty

I figure that the -10% not only account for translation check in the script, but also editing. I can count atleast two other groups who have used before/are using now another fansubbers translations besides the one mentioned. Thats only counting the digi-subbers. Why reinvent the wheel when all it needs is just a little polishing? I doubt many people who watched any of the above fansubs even know or care where the translations came from.

I never see anything that is retranslated while public scripts are around, except for the couple of items I had redone (and I now think it was a big waste to do so). Then again, I dont see many public scripts available for stuff anymore and hardly anyone subs anything that would be.

I figure that most groups will likely use their own translators too. Im interested in seeing how this will turn out.

Last edited by Digital-Kitty; 2003-11-06 at 13:58.
Digital-Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-06, 18:22   Link #18
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
that is very correct about the interpretation for example in naruto episode 55 where sakura goes to visit sasuke in the hospital when the nurse realizes that sasuke is gone she runs of yelling sensei which is reffering to the doctor, now depending on the situation the word sensei means different things, so when speaking to your martial arts master you can call them sensei which would also be translated as master, while when speaking to a school teacher saying sensei would be interpreted as proffesor. Another word that is left up to interpretation is the word baka, the general definition of baka is idiot however depending on the situation and the speech being used it can be interpreted as fool,stupid,and a few other terms to describe a moron. I know it seems wierd but this really just shows you how deep the japanese language really is.
Well, for the case of sensei, translating someone as 'teacher' when it's supposed to be 'doctor' in the context is what I would consider a mistake. It's not really a matter of interpretation unless the scene gives a really muddy idea of what is actually going on (though in that case it would still be an error, though an acceptable one).

I agree that Japanese is a very complicated language, and there are times when there are many equivalent words in English for one Japanese word. However, a lot of times, given a good knowledge of Japanese, you really can't use just any of those English words.

As for the public domain translation proposal, I think your translations would probably benefit people who don't want to download subbed anime (but rather raws but still don't understand Japanese), rather than the fansubbers themselves. With rare exceptions, such as the lack of translators on certain oddball series that no translator wants to do, fansub groups generally will have translators on hand to translate things. Plus, in order for groups to use your translations, you have to be able to give some assurance of quality. What would happen if one of the translators translated wrongly and the rest of the fansub group don't really know Japanese? Would a fansub group want to take that risk if you give no guarantees at all, or at least some semblence of assurance?
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-06, 21:52   Link #19
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
Hmm, I think this could be a good service. I'm not sure about posting all the scripts online for everyone to see. Say group x want to sub anime y, which is not being subbed by anyone, if the scripts were posted ANYONE could come along and sub anime y. Making scripts public for popular shows might work though.

Also, you need to get a strong editor, or give the groups options to contact yours trans. In every script I've worked on I've needed to contact the trans, at least over a few minor issues. No translator is perfect, especailly when going from quickly spoke Japanese in anime, which means it can get very hard for us editor when transfering that into a lanuage just as complicated, writen modern English :P
SirCanealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-06, 22:42   Link #20
ff7799
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCanealot
Hmm, I think this could be a good service. I'm not sure about posting all the scripts online for everyone to see. Say group x want to sub anime y, which is not being subbed by anyone, if the scripts were posted ANYONE could come along and sub anime y. Making scripts public for popular shows might work though.

Also, you need to get a strong editor, or give the groups options to contact yours trans. In every script I've worked on I've needed to contact the trans, at least over a few minor issues. No translator is perfect, especailly when going from quickly spoke Japanese in anime, which means it can get very hard for us editor when transfering that into a lanuage just as complicated, writen modern English :P
the way it will work is simple, I'll share my scripts in exchange, for theirs, in others words if I provide my translations for say saint beast then I would expect someone to share their translations for narutaru. I'am going to build a public archive with translations. My translator is japanese and probably one the best translator most of these fansubbing groups will ever meet. I'am sure of my work and thats it. I have all the translations reviewed by my editor whom is also fluent in japanese, so the translations are practically error proof.