AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-31, 05:24   Link #1321
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

The pursuit of power causing madness? I did agree with this, but I attributed it to an "amatuer" (relatively speaking) just blindly overclocking the Tome, rather than a concerted attempt to do a proper mod, which the best of Belka could feasibly manage if they were the ones who modded it.
Old 2008-07-31, 05:29   Link #1322
PhoenixFlare
The Resurrector
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralTigerclaw View Post
Arty, it's simple logic actually. Too much ANYTHING in the body is bad for it. Bad things, good things. It doesn't matter. Too much of it, and the body is going to start screwing up.

Too much air causes hyperventilation... too much water causes hyponutremia. Too much adrenaline can cause cardio problems and shock... So it's easily concievable even if it is not directly stated that too much magical energy can be just as nasty to a body not conditioned to handle it as any other more natural material.

I'll even assemble a medical term to make it sound nifty....
"Veneficemia"
- Magic Poisoning

=p
While I agree with "too much of anything is bad", your first two examples are somewhat ... peculiar. I've not heard of too much air causing hyperventilation before, and also of too much water causing hyponatremia.

If too much air is going to cause hyperventilation, then we need to consider those given oxygen support or oxygen tanks for diving, which basically supply continuous amount of air to the person. Copious amounts of water in the body do not cause hypernatremia; it may cause dilution of certain compounds in the body, but rarely hyponatremia, since the excess water is usually channeled as urine in normal condition. Hyponatremia happens when you're sweating profusely and excessively, causing loss of body salts, something that doesn't happen just because you happen to drink five gallons of water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comartemis View Post
And mages--particularly Belkan Knights, who depend on their bodies having high magic tolerances to use their enhancement spells--somehow aren't conditioned to be able to handle their magic as a part of their training? I find that somewhat hard to believe.
Essentially, high magic tolerance does not equal no damage to the mages themselves. All mages can be trained to be highly tolerant to certain side-effects, but they may never become immune to it. The side effects may not manifest immediately, but the accumulation of such stresses can be detrimental.

Consider the question of boosting physical strength via magical enhancement. While you can certainly break walls and create craters by excessively boosting your muscles (though showing no sign in muscular mass increase), the muscles themselves may never be safe from the effects of pumping much more energy than normal. Enhancement spells may sound good to hear, but they're probably spells that stimulate your body tissues to work extra hard.

Obviously, if there's a Belkan spell that enhances cognitive speed, we're essentially stimulating the brain and nervous system to be more hardworking. On the outset, we may not see any differences, but within, the brain suffered from excessive electrical activities and may dysfunction if forced to do so continuously. Isn't this one of the reasons why Fate never uses her speed enhancement (Sonic Move) more than a few seconds at most? And for her Overdrive Form, she suffered backlash when it was past her limit. She--and any mage, for that matter--has to repay the "physical debt" for the enhancement spell used.
Old 2008-07-31, 06:05   Link #1323
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralTigerclaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixFlare View Post
While I agree with "too much of anything is bad", your first two examples are somewhat ... peculiar. I've not heard of too much air causing hyperventilation before, and also of too much water causing hyponatremia.

If too much air is going to cause hyperventilation, then we need to consider those given oxygen support or oxygen tanks for diving, which basically supply continuous amount of air to the person. Copious amounts of water in the body do not cause hypernatremia; it may cause dilution of certain compounds in the body, but rarely hyponatremia, since the excess water is usually channeled as urine in normal condition. Hyponatremia happens when you're sweating profusely and excessively, causing loss of body salts, something that doesn't happen just because you happen to drink five gallons of water.
You can tell that to the woman in California who died in a water drinking contest trying to win her son a PS3. She died of hyponatremia after downing several gallons of water in a very short period of time. She won of course... though I think this would be classified as a shallow victory.

There IS a point in which 'copius' amounts of water WILL cause hyponatremia. The maximum safe limit is, If I'm remembering my training, around eighteen to twenty-two quarts of water in a 24 hour period. (Five Gallons for an entire day.)

So yes, it IS something that will happen because you drank five gallons of water... Especially if you do so in a much shorter period of time than a whole day. Because you quite simply, force flush your system.(Granted of course, most people's system will reject anything more than guzzling three quarts in five minutes via nice, dependable vomiting. It's simply a point where you cannot hold that much water and it's not being absorbed fast enough to make more room...)

Me, I've never come close. The most I've had is eight or nine quarts in a single day. And that was in the peak of georgia summer heat and humidity with a nice uncomfortable hydration formation where we downed a two-quart canteen at the closing of the day. Ugh... Walk around feeling like a living water baloon after that, and then you spend the next two hours making trips to the latrine every ten minutes. Water in Water out, and then some.
Old 2008-07-31, 09:25   Link #1324
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
It started from "Let's give Hayate tremendous power boost for physical close combat because she has huge chakr... mana pool!" in an attempt to deshaft her.
No, it was an attempt to point out that there are spells Hayate can use effectively without worrying too much about control issues, and I used Kage Bunshin as an example of a "spell" whose effect scales in proportion to the amount of power you put into it. And apparently you were so busy needlessly snarking at me that you missed the point entirely.

The point is that there are spells you could give Hayate whose output is directly dependent on the amount of mana she puts into them, thus making control less of an issue for their usage. Bombardment spells, shield spells, area-of-effect spells, and yes, magic-enhanced melee spells won't break down or misfire if you accidentally put too much mana into them. Or at least they won't in Comacanon, the way things are going in here we may have yet another set of limitations imposed on us by the No-Fun Realism Brigade.

Quote:
And why do "HAYATE NEEDS CLOSE COMBAT!" always crawl back? I thought that people has proposed solutions for her to make use of her strenghts.
You're the only one who insists on making Hayate into freaking Touhou character, Sheba. I interpret Hayate's strengths differently than you do, and this is what I came up with.

Seriously, beamspam is all well and good, but save that for Nanoha and mix things up a bit with the other Aces, yeah?

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Old 2008-07-31, 09:38   Link #1325
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Let me emphasize the words in Comarcanon. Once that is invoked, our rules can't apply to you, your rules won't apply to us. How can there be a discussion?

We are telling you why we disagree with you. You are free to make your own rules, and your own timeline, but it doesn't mean we have to accept it.

There is no point in this discussion. It has come to a point where we have to agree to disagree and forget it.
Old 2008-07-31, 09:59   Link #1326
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost

Ok, let's bring another interpretation since you don't get it. Do wizards in Dungeons & Dragons needed to learn how to swing a two-handed axe?

NO.

Wizards has many ways to wipe full parties, other than Fireball, Acid Arrow, Prismatic Spray or Ray of Death. They have terrain altering spells like "Stone/Earth to Mud" and "Mud to Earth/Stone", debuff spells, all kinds of walls like Firewall, Icewall, Wall of Blades or Prismatic wall, or shit like illusion, evasion spells like Plane Shift, or shit like Dimensional Banishment.
This is why a 15th level wizard is already a big deal for most of parties. They can own entire parties, they can shift the balance in favor or in defavor of the players.

Potential-wise, Hayate can memorize as much spells as a 35th level wizard. However, she seems to be only able to use those up to the 5th level (out of 9 levels). This is why her potential is wasted.

This style that evolve around mob and space control may be not crowd pleasing, but can be enjoyed by those who like to plan things ahead.

What people seems to try to make with Hayate is forcing a B-17 bomber to engage in dogfight with a Messerschmitt Bf 109 as if it the B-17 can do shit like a Spitfire.

PS: AND TOUHOU OWN YOUR FACE
Old 2008-07-31, 10:06   Link #1327
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

The suggestion was originally made for Kagerou's Black Order timeline, I just adapted the idea for Comacanon.

There are basically two ways that you can address Hayate's weakness and turn her into a potent fighter. The first is to get rid of her control issues, perhaps through intensive training or simply retconning the "bad control" bit altogether. The second method is to work around that weakness by playing to her strengths.

Comacanon has a few ways of dealing with this that fall into one category or the other. First, Reinforce 1 is still around after the end of A's, which could be taken to mean better control than Rein Zwei could provide due to calibration issues or some such. The second option falls into one of three paths depending on how the story goes; either Hayate trains with Evangeline to address her control issues, Hayate trains on her own to maximize her strengths with Rein's help, or Eva knocks Hayate all the way down to E-rank with a custom-made limiter of her own creation and forces Hayate to earn that SS-rank with no interference with Rein or the others, then starts training her almost completely from scratch. This would allow Hayate to go through Negima canon without having a huge impact on events that a mage of her caliber would otherwise have on the timeline (Fate and Nanoha, for the record, are busy with assignments while Admiral Leiti signed off on an extended leave period for Hayate to take advantage of Eva's training).

And at the risk of invoking the wrath of Sheba the Snarker again, I'm going to compare Hayate to Naruto again; both have massive power reserves and lots of control issues, but both are capable of using over-the-top S-rank spells/jutsus without breaking a sweat. Sheba may translate that into Epic Danmaku Potential, but I look at those power reserves and see a Team 8-style Naruto in training (For those who haven't read the fic and/or don't intend to, here Naruto gets around his control issues by relying much less on ninjutsu and much more on taijutsu, but the jutsus he does use are his standard-fare megajutsus. Same logic applies to Hayate in my mind).

Quote:
Ok, let's bring another interpretation since you don't get it. Do wizards in Dungeons & Dragons needed to learn how to swing a two-handed axe?

NO.
And there is the essential disconnect. You are translating Hayate into a Squishy Wizard like she is in canon with the belief that she can't be anything else in any timeline. I look at her and I see immense untapped potential as a Spellsword.

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Old 2008-07-31, 10:19   Link #1328
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

I've always considered Hayate to be like an Aegis cruiser. Slow. Unmanuverable. But god help you when you get in range, because you are dead.

Oh and Rein Eins still lives in Comacanon, eh? Do what you want, but it cheapens Rein Ein's willing sacrifice of herself for a better tomorrow.

...technically, when you get into it, all magic users are inherently squishy. If they aren't, they're made of stone and not human.

Unless you count the Wizard-class Motoko Kusanagi, but she's literally made of steel/titanium alloy and ceramic composite.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2008-07-31, 10:30   Link #1329
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Quote:
Oh and Rein Eins still lives in Comacanon, eh? Do what you want, but it cheapens Rein Ein's willing sacrifice of herself for a better tomorrow.
I've mentioned this a few times on Outer Cadia; Rein is inadvertently saved from needing to sacrifice herself when the book's creator--one of Comacanon's Big Bads--shows up during her departure and shreds her connection to the Book so she won't take all the Book's accumulated data with her when she dies, then takes the book for himself. Since Rein's just another unison device after this confrontation, there's no need for her to destroy herself.

This ain't the place to discuss OC stuff; let's take this back to Cadia if we're going to keep talking about Comacanon.

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Old 2008-07-31, 10:40   Link #1330
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:

And there is the essential disconnect. You are translating Hayate into a Squishy Wizard like she is in canon with the belief that she can't be anything else in any timeline. I look at her and I see immense untapped potential as a Spellsword.

Hayate IS squishy. She spent the first years of her life in her wheelchair. And have we ever heard about her working out after she was able-bodied? I don't even mean Hayate working out to turn into a muscle-bound monster, but training to stay fit or be able to handle the expected body stress from an extensive use of magic.

It's not exactly what I call the background of someone who can run 100 meters and be competitive even with her friends.
Old 2008-07-31, 10:41   Link #1331
Once and Current Subber

It's completely reasonable that Nanoha's collection-type spells are more likely to do damage to the mage than your normal spells.

But in that case, why is Nanoha worried about Tea and Subaru and Elio and Caro? They're B on a good day, not AAA. None of them use a collection-type spell. Subaru's capable of using her body past its physical limits, but that has nothing to do with the magic. Tea's most "powerful" skill, the Variable Shot, isn't actually powerful - it's just quite advanced and something she shouldn't be able to pull off yet.

So why have the trainees take it easy, magic-wise, if they're not actually at some kind of overloading risk? There's not really a good reason. But that informs the whole training program - Nanoha really starts 'em off with training wheels - and so we can't just assume it's being done for no reason at all. So we have to decide whether we believe that Nanoha knows what she's doing or not... and in context, she's supposed to.
Old 2008-07-31, 10:52   Link #1332
XenahortCharybdis
does whatever he wants.

Someone call for another sniper?
Nevermind, they come un-looked for, anyway.

Quote:
The suggestion was originally made for Kagerou's Black Order timeline, I just adapted the idea for Comacanon.
I knew it
I knew you couldn't stay out of trouble...
Don't ask why, I just knew it

Quote:
There are basically two ways that you can address Hayate's weakness and turn her into a potent fighter. The first is to get rid of her control issues, perhaps through intensive training or simply retconning the "bad control" bit altogether. The second method is to work around that weakness by playing to her strengths.
Alright, firstly, retconning the "bad-control" bit is gonna potentially kill canon, or expose you to the same irresponsible storytelling that *some people* crashed themselves into, since you're going to have to come up with lots and lots of explanations as to why Hayate-didn't-do-this, didn't-do-that, and so on. Not that you can't, but it'll be any writer's headache to re-write scenarios over.

Please do not simply shaft Hayate if you're gonna do any of what you say here.

And doesn't Hayate "already" play to her strengths? I'm completely ignoring 7arcs and their portrayal of her and I know it, but as far as I'm concerned a commander doesn't take to the field unless they're Chesty Puller or Montgomery. They only do it when they are certain of kicking major butt, and making for nice viewer-friendly fireworks. Cue the first Cyborgs VS RF6 battle as an example, if only they bothered to make her more obvious, and there you have it.

Quote:
Comacanon has a few ways of dealing with this that fall into one category or the other. First, Reinforce 1 is still around after the end of A's, which could be taken to mean better control than Rein Zwei could provide due to calibration issues or some such.
And now you'll have to start pushing a lot more limiters around, while that's the least of your worries. See above to see what's the real worry if you allow Eins to stick around.

EDIT: Oh, and I see you have a lolivamp pushing limiters around like drugs. You officially have a lot of explaining to do on the OCT on the level of h4xx concerning this thing. Soon.

Quote:
The second option falls into one of three paths depending on how the story goes; either Hayate trains with Evangeline to address her control issues, Hayate trains on her own to maximize her strengths with Rein's help, or Eva knocks Hayate all the way down to E-rank with a custom-made limiter of her own creation and forces Hayate to earn that SS-rank with no interference with Rein or the others, then starts training her almost completely from scratch.
I'm beginning to reckon this stuff, and therefore by extension my statement do not actually belong to the Magitech thread, but I'll reel off another shot anyway.

Ever I wonder why anyone would bother doing that. I think while Negima had an alright premise for this sort of training (he wants to be like his old man), I don't see why Hayate would do this at all. This really deserves the Occam's Razor treatment if anything did. Don't make things more complicated than they need to be.

Quote:
This would allow Hayate to go through Negima canon without having a huge impact on events that a mage of her caliber would otherwise have on the timeline (Fate and Nanoha, for the record, are busy with assignments while Admiral Leiti signed off on an extended leave period for Hayate to take advantage of Eva's training).
I was thinking you don't even need this since Hayate was in the SI and the SI is the most shafted part of the TSAB (although they are like a springboard to command), they only get mentioned, they never get seen. Even worse than the Ground Force. Apparently, however, if Acous is a trustworthy witness the SI does do a lot of rather important and possibly high-risk things, so her absence will make a difference, since I don't see Fate/Nanoha/Leiti related to the SI in the least.

Oh, fine, so Fate's an Enforcer. I see a 10% link in there. Somewhere...

...Now where was it again?

Quote:
And at the risk of invoking the wrath of Sheba the Snarker again, I'm going to compare Hayate to Naruto again; both have massive power reserves and lots of control issues, but both are capable of using over-the-top S-rank spells/jutsus without breaking a sweat. Sheba may translate that into Epic Danmaku Potential, but I look at those power reserves and see a Team 8-style Naruto in training (For those who haven't read the fic and/or don't intend to, here Naruto gets around his control issues by relying much less on ninjutsu and much more on taijutsu, but the jutsus he does use are his standard-fare megajutsus. Same logic applies to Hayate in my mind).
I think you just earned yourself the attention of another snarker, Comart (although according to public opinion *somewhere I'm a lot nicer so count yourself a happy man )

Alright, you've got a point here. Just a little. But still, understand that Nanoha and Naruto are two very, very different universes. The term "without breaking a sweat" isn't applicable to Hayate, I'm afraid. As a matter of fact she's probably the laggiest attacker in the RF6. But so what? Nanoha's not as big on taijutsu (note my use of the term as a general one for kung-fu-fighting, swordplay, hammer-smashing, knife-tossing and what-have-you) as Naruto, far from it, as they are on ninjutsu (note the use of this term as a general one for magic, blazing swords, beamspam, tseew-laser-guns and other thingamajigs.) If Hayate's the artillery, she's the artillery!

One may say, as *a certain OC might* that "specialization makes you like an animal, you're pretty damn good at one thing, but you can't do anything else good other than that." But that's not always true, see. Naruto has very little real strategic sense and therefore thankfully few team battles, only honor-duels, vengeance-duels, gang-banging, one-man-pwnages and other outright, though admittedly very cool stupidities. Their strategies always end up breaking down a la von Moltke the Elder (other than Nara's, among a few) and only succeed mostly because the enemy is just cocky/not-observant (like Deidara/Hidan) or plain dumb (like Sasori).

(Speaking of which, anything that allows the main enemy to have a prodigiously developed kind of ESP 80% of the time, and allows that ESP to fail at rather inopportune, cliched timings will earn my ire, so I suppose this should be rather expected.)

What's the solution? Again, strategems have their beauty in simplicity, elegance and deadly effectiveness. If Hayate's a good nuker, fine, then she stays a nuker. Each to his own specialty, then, and save the fuss. They may be like animals, but a pack of animals with different specialties, if played well, is pretty much all you need to handle a lot of situations, sans being pitted against another similar team, a one-man-pwnage, OR a unit-killer.

Quote:
You are translating her into something utterly unnecessary in the tactics of NanoMagic. I look at this argument and see immense potential for being a lot simpler.

Last edited by XenahortCharybdis; 2008-07-31 at 11:18.
Old 2008-07-31, 10:56   Link #1333
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Reread the quote, Sheba:

You are translating Hayate into a Squishy Wizard like she is in canon with the belief that she can't be anything else in any timeline.

In canon, yes, it makes a great deal of sense that she wouldn't be cut out for melee due to her physical disabilities, and while I personally wouldn't give it a second thought if she'd shown up in StrikerS as a full-blown Knight, I suppose I can see others raising a logic fit about it. This is exactly why I say her potential is untapped, because StrikerS went and turned her into a glass cannon who can barely function without Rein's assistance. Alter the course and nature of her training, and who knows what you could come up with? I could even picture Hayate as a summoner under the proper circumstances, though you'd have to jump through a few hoops to get her to that point.

Comacanon has Hayate training under Evangeline of all people, and by training I mean the kind of Training From Hell that Negi, Kotaro, and the Ala Alba go through in Negima canon. If that doesn't turn her into a potent Magic Swordsman, nothing will.

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Old 2008-07-31, 11:00   Link #1334
Kagerou
"Begin, the operation!"
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Kagerou
....my head hurts now. Too much babbling on...
Old 2008-07-31, 11:02   Link #1335
XenahortCharybdis
does whatever he wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagerou View Post
....my head hurts now. Too much babbling on...
Well I'm sorry Kagerou-chan. Take your time, there's no hurry.
Old 2008-07-31, 11:14   Link #1336
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

I just roll eyes at how Comartemis can't quote and attribute statements properly. Something that has been repeatedly pointed out to him again and again. Oh, well.

That said, on the issue of Barrier Jackets:

Before anyone wants to bring up reasons why the OFM barrier jackets cannot tank bullets, i refer you to the image of Franz in his barrier jacket on this page. Assault Company jackets use body armor ceramic/alloy laminate plate, the same stuff that Erusian ODST Marines use.

Before anyone starts whining about how its too heavy for people to carry, I would like to point out that the Ranger Body Armor used by the Rangers in Operation Gothic Serpent weighed 45lbs due to having steel insert plates.

As for Comartemis' plans, he reminds me of Katrina. So meh.

*sighs* This is distracting me from my prep. I'm supposed to brief the Company's Chief Operating Officer tomorrow. -_- Argh I am a staff puke.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2008-07-31, 11:24   Link #1337
Aaron008R

A certain tangent in the discussions caught my eye...

Regarding physical fitness, I wouldn't call 19-year old Hayate as unfit.

In episode 2, she jumped down from a tall van.
In episode 26, she retrieved Quattro from God-knows how deep from down the Cradle's blasted interiors, WITHOUT her magic due to AMF.

My take on what does she mean by weak in close-quarters is that she simply can't be expected to compare to the likes of fighter mages like her Knights, Nanoha and Fate among others when it comes to such combat, due to the following reasons...
  • Her incredibly high amount of mana bogs down her capability of processing magic at high speeds. (She's a pure spellcaster. And spellcasters don't do close range regularly.)
  • Her role in the group in the first place was offensive support and command from the back. (She had her role appointed the moment she obtained her power from Reinforce for the Final Battle in A's.)
  • Going along those lines, she devoted much of her time in her command career, which I daresay has a lot more to do with office work and study of command theories instead of fighting head-on. (I still think there's a fair amount of laziness there, though.)
... and so on. (Though I'm definitely not happy about the depressingly low stats for her in so many areas. I still do hate how 7arcs turned her into too much of a one-trick pony, ways around it notwithstanding... -_-)

Anyway, I still consider her as physically fit, but not notably physically strong as compared to the likes of Signum or Fate. So simply, she's a reasonably fit as a mage who doesn't participate in frontal combat. Or maybe just a bit higher than that. But that's about it, no competing against those who do Direct Combat daily. =/

I don't know how it goes for others, but please, let's not turn her into an asthmatic girl who starts wheezing after running 100 meters. She's shafted enough (far more than enough) as it is... >_<

And if we take this into consideration, learning how to fight close-quarters combat or at least lasting enough in order to gain distance is highly viable, you don't have to be Bruce Lee to know how to survive. Though the significance of doing so in her position and style in the battlefield does limit the practical uses of knowing much about CQC. And also, it takes time. :3

OC Profiles
Yagami Hayate: ver. GenerationS; Part 1, Part 2
Old 2008-07-31, 11:26   Link #1338
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Quote:
I just roll eyes at how Comartemis can't quote and attribute statements properly.
And I roll mine at the fact that you make a big deal out of it, Goose.

Quote:
Alright, firstly, retconning the "bad-control" bit is gonna potentially kill canon, or expose you to the same irresponsible storytelling that *some people* crashed themselves into, since you're going to have to come up with lots and lots of explanations as to why Hayate-didn't-do-this, didn't-do-that, and so on. Not that you can't, but it'll be any writer's headache to re-write scenarios over.
This is Comacanon we're talking about, Xena. I fully intend to rewrite the entire series, not just specific scenarios. And on that note, I'm taking the rest of this response back into Cadia.

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Old 2008-07-31, 11:30   Link #1339
XenahortCharybdis
does whatever he wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron008R View Post
A certain tangent in the discussions caught my eye...

Regarding physical fitness, I wouldn't call 19-year old Hayate as not fit.

In episode 2, she jumped down from a van.
In episode 26, she retrieved Quattro from God-knows how deep from down the Cradle's blasted interiors, WITHOUT her magic due to AMF.

My take on what does she mean by weak in close-quarters is that she simply can't be expected to compare to the likes of fighter mages like her Knights, Nanoha and Fate among others when it comes to such combat, due to the following reasons...
  • Her incredibly high amount of mana bogs down her capability of processing magic at high speeds. (She's a pure spellcaster. And spellcasters don't do close range regularly.)
  • Her role in the group in the first place was offensive support and command from the back. (She had her role appointed the moment she obtained her power from Reinforce for the Final Battle in A's.)
  • Going along those lines, she devoted much of her time in her command career, which I daresay has a lot more to do with office work and study of command theories instead of fighting head-on. (I still think there's a fair amount of laziness there, though.)
... and so on. (Though I'm definitely not happy about the depressingly low stats for her in so many areas. I still do hate how 7arcs turned her into too much of a one-trick pony, ways around it notwithstanding... -_-)

Anyway, I still consider her as physically fit, but not notably physically strong as compared to the likes of Signum or Fate. So simply, she's a reasonably fit as a mage who doesn't participate in frontal combat. Or maybe just a bit higher than that. But that's about it, no competing against those who do Direct Combat daily. =/

I don't know how it goes for others, but please, let's not turn her into an asthmatic girl who starts wheezing after running 100 meters. She's shafted enough (far more than enough) as it is... >_<
And he speaks!

Glad to see ya, Ossan.

I was thinking that it should be pretty obvious that anyone who's had military training would have enough sense and skill to do both tasks as stated in said episodes. Again, why the fuss then?

(Although I'd be forced to complain here that jumping down from a van and retrieving a half-dead person from somewhere isn't that much of a problem (degree of damage notwithstanding), unless you were SERIOUSLY unfit. For the first I've already done reckless things like that for ages, though by no means would I consider myself even vaguely as military-class fit. I can't even run 2.4km in less than 10 minutes so I can forget about that )

Quote:
First you steal my thunder, and then you steal my style as well? You'll be the death of me, or I'll be the death of you, I swear it (although you know that I know that I intend for either peace with you or the second option.)

Quote:
This is Comacanon we're talking about, Xena. I fully intend to rewrite the entire series, not just specific scenarios. And on that note, I'm taking the rest of this response back into Cadia.
You might as well write your own series, Comart. But if you really intend to do as you say? *extends hand* Good luck making it worth the while, old boy, and if you need another coffin, I'll put another lid on you pronto

And you finally took a piece of my advice. I'm honored.
Old 2008-07-31, 11:41   Link #1340
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Actually it just amuses me to see you looking stupid when you reply to the wrong person. If you can't even get that right, how are you going to make Comancanon work?

To quote my boss: "If you can't even get a 60-charecter text message right, how the hell are you going to be a shift leader?"

Quote:
Remember: Thou art but mortal.

That said on plot points, with regards to jumping down the command van and running, note that she jumped and ran and didn't even need to catch her fall and roll with the impact; it was jump, land, run, henshin, fly, all done smoothly. That's a good degree of coordination there. Note that even when military special forces types do it they tuck and roll to minimize the impact; Hayatechans just jumps and off she goes. She's not really as bad as everyone makes her out to be...

And No, Sheba, she isn't squishy. She's CUDDLY. There's a subtle yet significant difference there. Cuddly cuddly Hayatechans~ Don't worry Hayatechans, even of 4chan hates you, we love you~

...I seriously need to sleep.

I believe in miracles.

Closed Thread