AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-05-12, 04:58   Link #301
Crisis
Rock on ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I depend on relentlessflame for this, and he's not sure yet, but says "probably" two seasons (i.e., 24-26 episodes). On 2channel, they feel the same.
Thank you. Worth watching it then. Getting tired of watching comedy animes which are good but short at 13 eps.

Cosplay at it's best Thread
Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-12, 21:18   Link #302
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
While 24-26 episodes may seem like a bit a risk specially for a studio who always did ZnT 12-13 episode series (ZnT had a bigger potential to be a cash cow, before they started skipping volumes and it turned into utter crap), but it makes sense.

KWMS is one of those rare shoujo's that the guys can like too. Though it is aimed for girls first, it doesn't have that many turn off points for the guys like most shoujo's do.

KWMS do not have an annoying love triangle - some guys pop here and there and its bit annoying but the usually are quickly pushed away by Usui's awesomeness or Misaki's tsundereness.

It also has quite a bit of fanservice because of teh maid cafe. Not many pantyshots but for a shoujo they still have quite a few moments of girls doing dress up.

Misaki is actually a good looking/hot heroine rather than a plain one like a lot shoujo's heroines are. She even looks better in the manga.

Misaki is also a strong heroine. She is not a weak-crybaby-nice-but-no-personality-whatsoever girl either. She is strong and is not a submissive weak female lead you see in most of shoujo's.

Another thing is that Misaki is actually a tsundere and tsundere's are still as popular as ever.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-12, 21:57   Link #303
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

One thing this series has common with other shoujos is the bishounen male lead character design, lol.
Old 2010-05-13, 02:13   Link #304
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
While 24-26 episodes may seem like a bit a risk specially for a studio who always did ZnT 12-13 episode series (ZnT had a bigger potential to be a cash cow, before they started skipping volumes and it turned into utter crap), but it makes sense.

KWMS is one of those rare shoujo's that the guys can like too. ...
Though its not anything like Love*Com (lovely complex) in terms of content, that was also a crossover success because of many of the same factors (basically treating their characters like people instead of archetypes). Getting more interested in this series with each episode.
Old 2010-05-13, 02:53   Link #305
Darknemo2000

Love*Com was great, this one doesn't have that much of comedy but has even more romance or romantic moments between hero and heroine.

In Love*Com the love triangle was not very significant but it still lasted for quite a bit, while in here the main rival for Usui had only two chapter focus on him and was pushed back very quickly. You do not even have the drama because Misaki differently from most shoujo heroines

Spoiler for once:

This is too different from how your usual shoujo heroine acts because when knowing that someone likes her she gets all blushy, confused and so on but for Misaki its different.

Also Misaki is not dumb. Like Special A heroine was - she is tsundere not because of her dumbness (like in Special A) but because of the self-denial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
One thing this series has common with other shoujos is the bishounen male lead character design, lol.
Well it is still a shoujo anime. But again there are shounens with bishouenen leads as well like Kaze No Stigma (ironically it also has a tsundere female heroine) etc.
Old 2010-05-13, 05:25   Link #306
Gohan78
Awakened One

Quote:
J.C. Staff??? Actually they did many 2-cour series and among them are some of the most praised romance anime, such as Honey & Clover, Nodame Cantabile and Kimikiss.
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Gohan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-13, 07:13   Link #307
Crisis
Rock on ^^

Misaki looks very much like Hikari from Special A.

Cosplay at it's best Thread
Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-13, 11:55   Link #308
Qikz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
is it even possible to have 5 identical brothers in real life?
Those brothers.
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-13, 16:56   Link #309
chaos_animagic

Well... as far as I know of...
There's a 3 identical brother in real life, so 5 might just be possible too.

Anyways....

Bun-Bun-Misa-pyon
Best there is, LOL... (too bad my laptop broke, so I can't screenshot and make pics)

Also... Usui is way too HAWT in episode 6...

Last edited by chaos_animagic; 2010-05-13 at 17:09.
chaos_animagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-13, 19:14   Link #310
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Episode 6 kissing scene was pretty epic... and probably the best episode from this season... or not...

Anyways, Misa-chan looks cute in twin tails or even the bunny ears... It makes me think that this title is parodying every aspect of moe out there.
Old 2010-05-13, 19:51   Link #311
konart

lol, only after watch ending for 7th time I understood

Spoiler for R&J:
Old 2010-05-14, 01:32   Link #312
Darknemo2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
J.C. Staff??? Actually they did many 2-cour series and among them are some of the most praised romance anime, such as Honey & Clover, Nodame Cantabile and Kimikiss.
Kimikiss was never praised though. In fact it was one of the most unsuccessful series of that season. Sold like utter crap.

Probably had something to do that gamers had big expectations and where shot down and thuys refused to follow the series which decreased the popularity of anime quite a bit, despite that it was based on such a popular game.
Old 2010-05-14, 14:21   Link #313
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Kimikiss was never praised though. In fact it was one of the most unsuccessful series of that season. Sold like utter crap.

Probably had something to do that gamers had big expectations and where shot down and thuys refused to follow the series which decreased the popularity of anime quite a bit, despite that it was based on such a popular game.
Aye, the response was bipolar - people who hadn't experienced the game tended to love the series because it was *unusual* (two male protagonists -- more seinen-like interweave), whereas game fans seemed to expect the usual serial-linear-choose-the-girl harem series and were enraged. I regretted the "lesson" the industry took from it because I thought it was a good series on its own merits.

Been reading the manga adaptation where the author simply follows "the path" to a girl in each volume ... the stories are simple fairy tales with happy endings and no hint of consequences in regard to the other girls. So it goes, each 'shipper gets their own volume of child-like fantasy.

Somewhat of a derail here.... Hopefully, Maid-sama's source material isn't such that fans of the source don't spin out as well
Old 2010-05-15, 03:02   Link #314
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

A lesson 'well learned' indeed. No wonder stuff aimed at males tend to be of the harem kind, as its what they are accustomed to. Any radical change to the status quo is met with extreme resistance, so that's why we get the same thing over and over again. Heaven forbid if you tack an 'undesirable' trait to the character they love; personal death threats and book burning are abound.

Not to worry though, as KwMs is aimed at females, so otakunerdrage won't happen here. At least, I haven't heard of commotion of that magnitude in a het shoujo series such as this.

As for the episode itself.... FFFFFF yeah! Misaki looks 100x more moe with those glasses on lol.

And a new rival! Even though I dislike those type of characters, I must say, I already feel more for the other school's seitokaichou in half an episode than I do of Usui in 7. I think I'll give up on feeling for Usui now, as I don't even know if they intend to expand his character.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-15, 04:00   Link #315
Sol Falling

Wow. That episode (episode 7) was seriously rushed. I take back any sort of 'look forward to it' comments I made, guys (:P though that was actually a bit of a troll, as far as the original manga content went--lol, I wonder if anybodies gonna come out of the first quarter of this episode traumatized.). The events were all so condensed as to lose pretty much any emotion, humour, or subtler meaning.

Episode 7 tried to cover three fucking chapters (5, 6, and most of 7) O_O. Unfortunately, the result is extremely rushed and crowded. Although, ironically, I haven't got any complaints about animation this time, it was nonetheless definately a poor showing overall.

Spoiler for ep. 7:
In conclusion, this episode was bad. I guess I could try to rationalize it by saying that getting three episodes out of the way in one shot is a good thing in order to get to some more satisfying material later in the series faster; however, I am not confident this anime has been executed well enough to keep anime-only viewers riveted for that long. Furthermore, this level of treatment of the material cheapens the series in general. This episode didn't even provide me with the basic level of enjoyment I got from episode 3-6, so I must say I am rather disappointed. In any case, I might repeat this at the end of the series, but I highly encourage everybody who hasn't here to check out the source manga eventually, and perhaps even read it concurrently with the anime. Not that the anime doesn't manage to be enjoyable on its own (as I said, even I liked episodes 3-6 overall), but particularly for episodes like this, I think the manga will significantly supplement your enjoyment of this series.

Last edited by Sol Falling; 2010-05-15 at 04:13.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-15, 04:45   Link #316
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
As for the episode itself.... FFFFFF yeah! Misaki looks 100x more moe dressed as a guy.
I agree. <3
Old 2010-05-15, 05:36   Link #317
SonOfHeaven
Metal Gear!?

This episode was alright. Though it was definitely rushed. Misaki dressing as an guy was done pretty well.

I'm hoping that in the future episodes. They capture the Usui and Misaki moments that they'll have. I've read my share of shoujo mangas and this manga is one of the few that is one of my favorites.
Old 2010-05-15, 05:38   Link #318
Qikz

Misaki with those glasses. o_o
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-15, 06:18   Link #319
Sol Falling

lol, er, this is pretty slow I guess, seeing there've been three posts since my previous one, but regardless...

(I agree about Misaki looking quite good as a guy btw. Her anime design is actually a fair bit more attractive than the manga's. A nice surprise.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
As for the episode itself.... FFFFFF yeah! Misaki looks 100x more moe with those glasses on lol.

And a new rival! Even though I dislike those type of characters, I must say, I already feel more for the other school's seitokaichou in half an episode than I do of Usui in 7. I think I'll give up on feeling for Usui now, as I don't even know if they intend to expand his character.
At this rate, I guess it might indeed be a while before you feel for Usui. And indeed, as the osana-najimi shipper, this might be a poor match to your tastes in general. I do think the anime has done a poor job of conveying some of Usui's character effectively however, so perhaps he might indeed come around for you.

(As for really expanding into Usui's background and history, though, you're unfortunately unlikely to find that in the anime. The manga hasn't even gotten to that until fairly recently, so the material is almost certainly too far ahead to fit into a 2-cour series.)

(On the other hand, we do have two kinda sorta minor clues already: one, Usui is awesome at cooking, and two, Usui can kick pretty ridiculous ass at chess. These two things are actually slightly more significant beyond Usui's generic perfect skillz at sports and academia.)

One thing I've noticed the anime is doing a lot with Usui, in terms of characterization, is focusing on him watching Misaki's reactions and sometimes giving out a bland "huh" (lol) in response to them. I think their intention is to try to show how much careful attention Usui is paying to her, basically emphasizing what a great and considerate prospective lover he is lol. I think though, as far as attractiveness goes, it comes off as totally pointless and lame--which would be, like, the complete opposite of what Usui actually is :P. Aside from little minor things like Usui's interest in cooking, I don't think you'll really get any looks into Usui's deeper feelings and personality except in rare episodes like ep. 3 and (I'll estimate--corresponding to chapter 25,) ep. 18. The rest of the time however, what Usui is supposed to embody is the 'epitome' of hawtness, awesome flirtatious self-confidence (directed like a pinpoint laser though; it's a 'Misaki special'), and overwhelming manly sexuality . In my view, at least, that's a combination that makes for some pretty great humour--and on the particular note of that last one, I think this should have been one of the things his kiss with Yukimura would have emphasized (lol): Usui's ability and fairly open willingness to dominate other males, in effect turns even other guys into quivering girls before him . In that sense, that kiss was just another indication of Usui's sheer masculinity . Of course though, in this instance Usui's real motive was a perfectly swoonworthy romantic reason: Usui saw that his confession to Misaki had overwhelmed her so much that she couldn't even do her work properly, and that she was in obvious distress and confusion. Rather than selfishly pushing Misaki to try to accept/confront/realize the attraction and/or romantic feelings she wasn't ready for, Usui instead went as far as enduring a kiss with another man to give her a distraction/excuse which put her mind at ease. This is the sort of consideration Usui actually exercises, not the bland 'I'm paying attention to you' staring shots J.C. Staff keeps constantly emphasizing :P. I dunno, I think all this stuff is way more obvious in the manga, but yeah, aside from a bit of Gary Stu-ish hyperbolic perfection at everything, I really don't believe there's anything bland or objectionable about Usui's character.

As I mentioned at the start though, I guess these things might really not be to your taste? In any case, I'm rather curious about people's actual reactions to the whole Yukimura kiss incident.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-15, 10:46   Link #320
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Only until recently they've expanded Usui's character in the source? *facepalm*

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, drama, romance, shoujo