AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > School Rumble

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-08-06, 18:17   Link #41
Shiryuu
Magical Boy

Quote:
English isn't my mother tongue
What difference does that make? You still understand it, so it automatically makes it easier to watch w\o subs.

Quote:
they tend to change the dialog. Although the ideas are the same and the words are different but it just makes an anime loses it's taste.
I think a lot of it has to do with lip-syncing. Unless they have the time and money to completely reanimate the scene (would you really want that instead?), they would rather just change the dialog.
Old 2006-08-06, 18:40   Link #42
Rengemaru
Mad Scientist

I don't know about you but from my personal experience, dubbing kills any show unless it's done in a nice complete way
Old 2006-08-06, 22:41   Link #43
Setsuna Asuka

As long as it's your opinoin NOT fact.
Old 2006-08-06, 23:06   Link #44
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

I just hope they do a good on the SR dubing and proper subs.
BTW Tenchi-Muyo is by far the best dub anime i've seen up to now.
Old 2006-08-06, 23:17   Link #45
DrewGSR

nice to see School Rumble coming to the US, would've prefered Geneon or ADV but Funi is fine i guess.
Old 2006-08-07, 09:50   Link #46
Rengemaru
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsuna Asuka
As long as it's your opinoin NOT fact.
I've spent all of my live watching either dubbed or subbed shows and the subbed ones were much better then the dubbed, except for some few cases. That's what I think anyway~
Old 2006-08-07, 20:18   Link #47
kauldron26
Med Student

best dub hands down is Cowboy Bebop. Coincidentally the greatest anime ever made. The wolf's Rain dub was very good too.
Old 2006-08-07, 21:12   Link #48
uruchai
"You'll be blessed!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rengemaru
yeah english VA always sound wrong in anime, i hate it >.< why do people want to see it in english while the JP version is ten times better
I quite share your sentiment. although there are dubbed animes that did some nice jobs. (I mean, Studio Ghibli films were dubbed nicely. then again, those are movies and they can afford to hire VAs w/names).

back on topic... I think my only qualm with North American VA is that the character tends to adapt to the voice actor; rather than the voice actor adapting to the character. I'm not gonna delve deeper into this because it's been discussed so many times. but, this is the reason why I sometimes hesitate to buy the dvds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Soulblade
I wonder what are they going to do with all the language-related things (for example, when tenma tries to write "suki") and other Japanese related stuff, like History.
that's the first thing that came into mind. sigh... I guess we'll just have to see how they'll go about it.
Old 2006-08-07, 21:42   Link #49
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewGSR
nice to see School Rumble coming to the US, would've prefered Geneon or ADV but Funi is fine i guess.
Well I think Funi does a better job with comedy as they tend to have much more comedic VA's than Geneon whose VA's are more suited for more serious titles...With that said though I still think overall Geneon (Pioneer) is the best dubber around, but I think Funi will handle SR with care...If it's as good as FMA dub I won't complain...
Old 2006-08-08, 11:08   Link #50
Veni-vidi-vici

The only thing wrong they did with FMA was Ed's voice... the original VA was a female which gave it the distinct young voice. But in English it was done by a older male, which IMHO didn't really fit as well; not saying it's bad, just different.
I would've prefered ADV too since I think FMP's cast would fit SR almost perfectly, but that's just my opinion.

O well, can't change what's already decided, now we just have to wait till the DVD's come out to see.
Old 2006-08-08, 11:30   Link #51
DeatheScythe

Personally I don't really care for the english dubbing in a series.

There are a few exceptions though. The greatest of which are Cowboy Bebop and Golden Boy for me. The dubbing in Golden Boy would probably normally be on the lousy side except that it is so appropriate for the show.

I think for alot of us it is just a preference built up from watching tons of anime subbed. I used to watch all my anime dubbed and thought it was great. Then found fansubs and yeah....its pretty much always subs for me.
Old 2006-08-08, 15:20   Link #52
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veni-vidi-vici
The only thing wrong they did with FMA was Ed's voice... the original VA was a female which gave it the distinct young voice. But in English it was done by a older male, which IMHO didn't really fit as well; not saying it's bad, just different.
I would've prefered ADV too since I think FMP's cast would fit SR almost perfectly, but that's just my opinion.

O well, can't change what's already decided, now we just have to wait till the DVD's come out to see.
Well you might get your wish because Funi has bought the rights to FMP!TSR and the OVA, and they reportably are hiring all the VA's from ADV who did their voices so maybe some of them will have a shot at SR dub....
Old 2006-08-08, 23:06   Link #53
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by uruchai
I'm not gonna delve deeper into this because it's been discussed so many times. but, this is the reason why I sometimes hesitate to buy the dvds.
I don't really understand why that would make you hesitate? I mean, just because the DVD comes with a dub doesn't mean that you have to pay attention to the dub version or watch it--you can just go to the Languages menu and switch to subs & JP if that's your inclination.
Old 2006-08-09, 08:47   Link #54
El_Capitano

Like most of us I'm really interested in buying the DVDs but I've heard some bad things about funanimation:

- Too many (unskippable) commercials before you can even get to the title screen
- only 2,3 episodes/DVD
- And what worries me the most, I'm told that they use dublations. Personally I can't stand dubs so I prefer Japanese with subs. But if the subs are just scripted dubs that could be very annoying.

I'd like to know what you guys have to say about this.
Old 2006-08-09, 10:04   Link #55
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Sorry but most of this is a load of bollocks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Capitano
Like most of us I'm really interested in buying the DVDs but I've heard some bad things about funanimation:

- Too many (unskippable) commercials before you can even get to the title screen
- only 2,3 episodes/DVD
- And what worries me the most, I'm told that they use dublations. Personally I can't stand dubs so I prefer Japanese with subs. But if the subs are just scripted dubs that could be very annoying.

I've just had a look at four different anime series I have from FUNImation and here are the results.

1) Too many (unskippable) commercials before you can even get to the title screen

True, but the problem (if any) may well be with your DVD player. On my Pioneer DVD player I find that the "Skip to Next Chapter" is disabled, but I can still avoid all the adverts by pressing the "Top Menu" button.

2) only 2,3 episodes/DVD

I can't speak for all the FUNImation releases but the series I have typically have 4 eps per DVD, some such as Fruits Basket had 6 / 7 eps per disc.

Some of the Case Closed DVDs do have only 3 eps and some of them have 4 eps but then the RRP of this series is $20 instead of the usual $30 or $25. So even 3 eps for $20 is better than 4 eps for $30 (and please remember it's easy to find 40% discounts online for DVDs).

3) And what worries me the most, I'm told that they use dublations.

Where does this rubbish originate from... Again, I can't speak for every one of their releases but as far as I know no company has a policy of only including dubtitles on all (or even some) of their releases (at least none of the major American anime companies).

There are cases where dubtitles are included as well as subtitles, so there are several subtitle tracks available, the normal subtitles and an extra dubtitle (typically provided for the hard of hearing).
Old 2006-08-09, 10:04   Link #56
Rengemaru
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus IX
you can just go to the Languages menu and switch to subs & JP if that's your inclination.
That is possible but becuase of....
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Capitano
But if the subs are just scripted dubs that could be very annoying
And the fact that fansubs are much better then DVD subs. I prefer buying DVDs better then downloading anime for safe keeping. But will it be worth keeping if the subs/dub are bad? that's what i'm trying to point out here.
Old 2006-08-10, 13:53   Link #57
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Capitano

- only 2,3 episodes/DVD

First you are confusing Funi with Viz.

Both Funi and Viz use the Unskipable version. But Viz uses it more than Funi. I even saw it on a ADV one once.
Viz has the 2 - 3 episode DVD format. Funi usually has the 3-4 episode format (Or the 5-6 in the case of Furuba and Negima)
I wish they did dual dubs. But I guess it would then reveal that their translators just steal material from Fansubs , because NO ONE uses dual subs. (Except for ADV's Ghost Stories).

Funi's main problem is an overzealous Legal Department. I have no other problem with Funi. (Oh and a crappy Negima direction)

Oh for the person who said they hired ADV's VA's. That's actually wrong. Funi has subcontracted out FMP TSR's dubbing to ADV completely.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Old 2006-08-11, 03:27   Link #58
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

they should hire proffesional studios like the one that did the original metal gear solid voices for PSX. that is one of the best voice acting jobs in any US videogame/anime show. i dont particularly like ADV dubs. i used to like the viz ones, but they reuse actors to often, hearing them always reminds me of ranma1/2.
Old 2006-08-11, 19:50   Link #59
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit
they should hire proffesional studios like the one that did the original metal gear solid voices for PSX. that is one of the best voice acting jobs in any US videogame/anime show. i dont particularly like ADV dubs. i used to like the viz ones, but they reuse actors to often, hearing them always reminds me of ranma1/2.
Lol! Funi uses professional Dubs and I think School Rumble with feature them.

And btw you CANNOT use Metal Gear Solid as an example. They don't have mouths! You can do anything if you don't have to follow lip flaps.

Btw Who do you think is going to play Tenma? I want to say The girl who did Chiyo-Chan but honestly I hated her Yuna of Maburaho voice.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Old 2006-08-13, 09:01   Link #60
El_Capitano

@Forbis and xrin: I was just telling what I read on other boards. However, the initial criticism is being refuted by others (you two for instance) which gives me a broader view of funanimation and what to expect of them.

But in the end, we'll just have to wait and see
Closed Thread