AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 41 21.69%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 55 29.10%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 45 23.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 24 12.70%
6 out of 10 : Average 10 5.29%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 9 4.76%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.06%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 1.06%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.53%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-07, 23:57   Link #41
brocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khu View Post
Ordinary students attacking others with firearms is pretty bad, no?
In real life yea, maybe not so much in Angel Beats since Tenshi gets shot at for food coupons anyway

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
Old 2010-05-08, 00:01   Link #42
touge-n00b
ZC6 Eishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riful View Post
You know they're just going to get up after 5 minutes again?

The characters dying horrible deaths was supposed to be funny a few episodes ago and now suddenly it's supposed to be oh-so-shocking? What are they thinking
Well, I was under the impression that Naoi was killing them repeatedly, until he finished sending them all off. Don't know if that what was actually happened, but that's how I took it.
Old 2010-05-08, 00:02   Link #43
rstrafford

Quote:

The characters dying horrible deaths was supposed to be funny a few episodes ago and now suddenly it's supposed to be oh-so-shocking? What are they thinking
I dunno about that. Actually, the fact that they can't die can heighten the drama of the situation (say if Naoi chose to kill them over and over before hypnotizing them).
Old 2010-05-08, 00:09   Link #44
brocko

Yea, that's the thing. Since dying is pretty much a moot point, the only other viable option(or next best thing) to elicit the same type of reaction in the viewers is torture. We weren't shown any torturing so it's hard to feel any of that emotion that was suppose to come through from that scene. The staff also seemed liked they wanted to steer clear away from actually depicting such scenes for whatever various reasons (censorship troubles? too dark for the show perhaps? time restraints? beats me...).

Dying in this show seems to work best for all intents and purposes as comedy only.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.

Last edited by brocko; 2010-05-08 at 00:50.
Old 2010-05-08, 00:31   Link #45
dark998

Probably the best episode so far, with all the development between Kanade and Otonashi. Seeing her quickly finish the tofu and get sleepy later in the cell was too good. Her updated Handsonic skill was surprising, too.

Wasn't expecting Naoi to have that plan behind the scenes. The flashback was not very sad but I guess it justifies his actions "a bit", because extreme violence is no good, even if they can't actually die.

My only gripe was the "ending" of the episode. Nothing, no conclusion or cliffhanger, it was simply cut + ED credits.

Talking about non-story aspects, really pleased to hear that track from the PV 6 used in the show. In a very good scene too.
Old 2010-05-08, 00:59   Link #46
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:

Yeah I was more referring to just the fact that Naoi was planning on sending them along which would have been true death for this series. It's not as shocking since they will get up, but injuries do hurt so can feel for the pain they would have been in before losing consciousness. Those who got head-shots were probably lucky in going out quickly.
Old 2010-05-08, 01:01   Link #47
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Everything was all well and good...

-Kanade getting more screentime
-Otonashi trying to get to know her
-Them getting locked together in a small room TOGETHER (lol @ potential doujins)
-Yuri and SSS getting beaten to a bloody pulp

...then came how they defeated Naoi. Wow, that was just stupid how its done. His background past was boring as hell, and don't see how his past made him the bully he is now in that world.

Man, as much as I am for TenshiXOtonashi shipping, I can't help but not like this episode. Sad really. Definitely the weakest episode of the series.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2010-05-08, 01:12   Link #48
Flames

Naoi I feel bully others and wanted student council position because he felt worthless of his life and wanted to feel that life mean't something by trying to be superior to others. Deep down inside he knows he feels worthless but tried to cover it up. When Otonashi was speaking to him it was breaking down this barrier he created for himself to cover up his pain. He realized in the end he was doing this because he wanted his existence to be approved by others and most importantly his father which treated him like crap and felt ashamed of him which led up to him thinking his existence and life is worthless. Him pretending to be his brother only worsen it because he started to lose his identity to the point he was in self-denial saying he is not himself but his dead older brother. That the life he had as himself was never real. Otonashi talk also made him accept that he is himself and that his existence is worth something. Doesn't mean what he did to everyone was right though.
Old 2010-05-08, 01:15   Link #49
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Naoi past is a difficult one to like if you can't identify with it given how little fictional literature has been devoted to the lack of self identity (given that such a premise goes exactly against what every protagonist should be based on), however it is quite touching if you can connect with his dilemma. At least I know it did the trick for me.
Old 2010-05-08, 01:25   Link #50
chickdigger802

It can't just be me who noticed the drastically inconsistent character faces this eps...

Man this reminds me why I stopped watching Bleach lol.

Love the random emo BL hug at the end lol.

And hand sonic 4 is awesome xD
Old 2010-05-08, 01:25   Link #51
SageGaiGar
You are Next

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Everything was all well and good...

-Kanade getting more screentime
-Otonashi trying to get to know her
-Them getting locked together in a small room TOGETHER (lol @ potential doujins)
-Yuri and SSS getting beaten to a bloody pulp

...then came how they defeated Naoi. Wow, that was just stupid how its done. His background past was boring as hell, and don't see how his past made him the bully he is now in that world.

Man, as much as I am for TenshiXOtonashi shipping, I can't help but not like this episode. Sad really. Definitely the weakest episode of the series.
The episode kind of felt.. condensed. Kanade was extremely cute though but Naoi's bit was..

All that for?

I swear I could hear sad violin music in the background during the end. Maybe for most of this series? :v
Old 2010-05-08, 01:51   Link #52
Wrath88
Kissing...

Kanade's really desperate for Mapo Tofu lol. I expect to see fanart that shows her following someone (Yuri or Otonashi) who's carrying a plate of it.
Old 2010-05-08, 01:54   Link #53
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Suuuuuuuuuuuper weird episode. At least the latter half. Why the hell do you engage an enemy you can't shoot in the first place? Why don't you just snipe Naoi and get over with it? Why don't you catch him on the roof when he is smacking students? Why do you start war once you find out that he is human??? It can't be too hard to perform an operation like this with such a big group of people. I doubt that Naoi would have taken the offense without the SSS attacking him first.

The plus points of this episode were:
  • Playing mahjong in class
  • Tenshi sleeping
  • Tenshi 2-3-4-ing the door
  • Yui going hyper modo in the first minute of the episode
  • Otonashi displaying super hax throwing skills with the can
  • TK: "I'll be back"

I don't get why people are calling this a good episode, even though it had some nice moments in it. The first half was typical Angel Beats, the second one was WAY to rushed though.
Old 2010-05-08, 02:00   Link #54
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Watched Episode 6.

You know, for something that's supposed to be Maeda's first anime-original (or mixed-media, but you get the idea) project, this episode feels unfortunately like one of those Toei-adapted Key character arcs that suffers badly from lack of sufficient time to develop the theme. It's been somewhat like that for the Iwasawa and Hinata episodes too, but this feeling is especially egregious for the out-of-nowhere Naoi. I've been finding myself wishing this was either 24 episodes, or that it even was an adaptation of a much-longer VN.

However, Kana-chan has been just so huggable the whole episode, so she makes a save for 7/10.
Old 2010-05-08, 02:18   Link #55
Tormenk

It was half-way through Naoi's emo recount that his voice struck me as very familiar.

Figures. He's voiced by Megumi Ogata, aka Shinji Ikari.

"Are you afraid of change? Or are you afraid to change?"

"Wheel turns, river flows and life goes on."

"Best way to kill a man, is to leave him alone."

"Until you come, until we close our eyes."

Old 2010-05-08, 02:20   Link #56
Wrath88
Kissing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
TK: "I'll be back"
He was going out like a diver going into the water. Holding his nose and falling backwards. (Doesn't it HURT to land on the back of your head like that?)
Old 2010-05-08, 02:22   Link #57
MetaFire
Wuthuh?

I think everyone wanted to see an epic Naoi vs Tenshi fight scene at the end. Instead we get this seemingly out of place 'Otonashi walk up and hug' scene + a flashback that doesn't even come close to explaining Naoi's actions of wanting to beat up students. I thought the flashback just came wayyyy too soon and wasn't tragic enough for someone that is currently the perceived 'antagonist' of the story. It's almost safe to assume everyone is gonna be buddy-buddy in the next ep.

I'm all for the 'main badguy just needs a hug' stories, but we didn't really see Naoi do much of anything before his flashback.

Anyway, I loved the first half. Yui and Tenshi are too awesome.
Old 2010-05-08, 02:24   Link #58
Hilo Hello

He wasn't just killing everyone, he was spawn camping them.
Old 2010-05-08, 02:25   Link #59
zette

God damn it, Tenshi, stop being so cute.

It's kinda ironic how Yuri used to rebel and fight against Tenshi but now when shit hits the fan, she basically begs for Tenshi to save her and the SSS. I guess Yuri's finally coming to the realization that her preconceptions of Tenshi were wrong in many ways.

That aside, I thought the first three quarter or so of this episode was pretty good, with the gang and their antics during lessons, TK being hilarious, and also the development between Tenshi and Otonashi. When it approached the massacre scene though, I couldn't help but think that it was, like quite a few posters have pointed out, just Jun Maeda trying too hard to make you feel sad for the characters. Naoi's past was okay for the most part, but Otonashi going up to hug him was just incredibly out of place.

Voted 8/10 at first but on second thought I feel this episode is more of a 7/10, though obviously I can't edit my vote.
Old 2010-05-08, 02:25   Link #60
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Watched Episode 6.

You know, for something that's supposed to be Maeda's first anime-original (or mixed-media, but you get the idea) project, this episode feels unfortunately like one of those Toei-adapted Key character arcs that suffers badly from lack of sufficient time to develop the theme. It's been somewhat like that for the Iwasawa and Hinata episodes too, but this feeling is especially egregious for the out-of-nowhere Naoi. I've been finding myself wishing this was either 24 episodes, or that it even was an adaptation of a much-longer VN.

However, Kana-chan has been just so huggable the whole episode, so she makes a save for 7/10.
It could easily be possible that as you said similar to Toei's work on Clannad and Kanon, it might be a directorial issue with the studio, in this case PA Works.

In any case I wholeheartedly agree, and again lament the multitude of possibilities that we could have been witness to if KyotoAni was instead the studio behind it.
Closed Thread