Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-08-17, 19:19   Link #21
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopple View Post
do we know for sure that area 51 is real? if it is theres a high possibility that they are farther in technoligey then we think. so if thats true then area 51 can possibly be hiding the creatures we dont know about. there could be so much the goverment isnt telling us.

Yes, the government could be keeping random things like Bigfoot secret from us, but I could also be a hamster in an elaborate human suit, infiltrating your society to conquer it from within. You have to draw a line somewhere.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-17, 19:26   Link #22
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post

Yes, the government could be keeping random things like Bigfoot secret from us, but I could also be a hamster in an elaborate human suit, infiltrating your society to conquer it from within. You have to draw a line somewhere.
Was it Steve Jobs or Bill Gates that was the hamster in a nerd suit? I have forgotten.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-17, 19:27   Link #23
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post

Why would the government hide Bigfoot in the first place? He's just a bigass hairy humanoid creature that's probably bringing it on himself to hide from the public...

Hell, if I were Bigfoot, I'd do anything I could to keep myself hidden too...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-17, 21:56   Link #24
Daughter!

I hope it's real so people stop wasting their lives looking for some stupid animal.
Daughter! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-17, 22:02   Link #25
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop-Punk Sucks View Post
I hope it's real so people stop wasting their lives looking for some stupid animal.
I think the crypto-zoologists would just move on to the next mythical creature if that were the case. In fact, it'd probably inspire a hell of a lot more people to join their ranks!
Old 2008-08-18, 11:12   Link #26
Takeru
Jag äter idioter
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Takeru
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopple View Post
do we know for sure that area 51 is real? if it is theres a high possibility that they are farther in technoligey then we think. so if thats true then area 51 can possibly be hiding the creatures we dont know about. there could be so much the goverment isnt telling us.
I've proven that one with Google Maps. Here
And no, that's not Creech AFB (aka Indian Springs).
Old 2008-08-18, 11:43   Link #27
iMaakasu
BRB,, Wonderland

Send a message via MSN to iMaakasu
The reason for whatever they're hiding, IF they're hiding something,, must be to not cause everyone to panic and make an uproar about it.
The contents of Area 51 will still be secret for a long time though,, I guess..
iMaakasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-18, 12:02   Link #28
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMaakasu View Post
The contents of Area 51 will still be secret for a long time though,, I guess..
The specific contents of Area 51 are classified, but it's general purpose isn't. It is, or was at one point at any rate, the main testing facility for classified aircraft. The SR-71, F-117, B-2, and a host of other secret aircraft first took to the skies over Area 51. It was also home to programs to evaluate the flight characteristics of captured soviet aircraft during the cold war.

That's why it has such a long runway and heavy security, so it can handle pretty much any type of aircraft, and give pilots a bit of extra runway when they're testing experimental aircraft. Since we're talking about classified aircraft, the high security should be obvious. As an added benefit all the UFO rumors help maintain the secrecy of the projects. A report of a new type of aircraft in the sky would attract all kinds of attention. A UFO? Not so much.
Old 2008-08-19, 12:59   Link #29
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

a bigfoot update.

the corpse is a rubber suit and the discovers have vanish.
Old 2008-08-19, 14:03   Link #30
gabbytay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
a bigfoot update.

the corpse is a rubber suit and the discovers have vanish.
Looks like they took the money. Those guys are really going to get shot in the head.
gabbytay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-19, 17:20   Link #31
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Yup, the bigfoot is a big fat Hoax.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-19, 18:01   Link #32
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
I think the crypto-zoologists would just move on to the next mythical creature if that were the case. In fact, it'd probably inspire a hell of a lot more people to join their ranks!
People do find new species rather often. It's generally an offshoot of a known creature, like a new kind of spider or other bug. Finding a large mammal or lizard is a little different, but then again we did confirm the existence of the giant squid a few years back, and of course the famous coelacanth that was supposed to be extinct.

Crypto-zoologists might be barking up the same tree as ghost chasers and ufo believers but personally I find it comforting to know that people are so genuinely interested in those subjects to take it at least somewhat seriously.

Unfortunately there are a ton of crackpots in those fields who give the rest a bad name. And of course the people who just want to profit from curiosity like these guys with the Bigfoot hoax. ><

I won't go so far as to say Bigfoot exists, or other such things. But I do believe that the world, as small as it seems thanks to our improved technology and communication, is still large and with many places humans simply don't go to much if at all. The chances of finding things we previously thought were myth or discovering entirely new things is still possible.

There is still a lot of mystery left in the universe, so it's always good to see people exploring possibilities, even if they seem silly and pointless sometimes.
Old 2008-08-19, 18:48   Link #33
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
People do find new species rather often. It's generally an offshoot of a known creature, like a new kind of spider or other bug. Finding a large mammal or lizard is a little different, but then again we did confirm the existence of the giant squid a few years back, and of course the famous coelacanth that was supposed to be extinct.
The existance of the giant squid have never been question as thier corpse have been found int he stomach of sperm whales for a long time.

And both the squid and coelacanth are deep sea animals. there are probably more surprise down in the deepest part of the ocean we haven't seen yet.

finding a large unknow terrestial animal is a different matter. The large the animal, the more food it needs and the bigger the size of terrority it needs for either forging or hunting. Currently thier aren't that many places on land that humans are not there and can provide enough food to sustain a large population of large animals.
Old 2008-08-19, 19:37   Link #34
Echoes

Quote:
Crypto-zoologists might be barking up the same tree as ghost chasers and ufo believers but personally I find it comforting to know that people are so genuinely interested in those subjects to take it at least somewhat seriously.
I think we pretty much agree on this point. I'm happy to see that there are people who are more interested in exploring the natural world than eating Doritos and watching sitcoms.

My view on the subject is probably a bit skewed from watching too much Penn and Teller, I'm sure there are plenty of intelligent cryptozoologists around. It's just that Bigfoot hiding out there somewhere is an alluring thought, and people often cloud their judgment with that they'd like to be true.

And I definitely agree with Xellos that the deep sea is the best place to find "completely new species." But of course, traveling to the bottom of the ocean is not a viable option for most people who have cryptozoology as a hobby.
Old 2008-08-19, 19:45   Link #35
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
The existance of the giant squid have never been question as thier corpse have been found int he stomach of sperm whales for a long time.

And both the squid and coelacanth are deep sea animals. there are probably more surprise down in the deepest part of the ocean we haven't seen yet.

finding a large unknow terrestial animal is a different matter. The large the animal, the more food it needs and the bigger the size of terrority it needs for either forging or hunting. Currently thier aren't that many places on land that humans are not there and can provide enough food to sustain a large population of large animals.

The giant squid never had much evidence to support it because up until recently any corpses that were found were too far decomposed to make sense of. I guess "existence" might have been too strong of a word but there are cases in history like it, where corpses are discovered but are in such poor shape that identification is/was impossible. And even if you could say it was a species, it was difficult to learn anything about unusual features (odd color, shape, size, etc.).

The coelacanth is an example of this. The first documented specimen was in the 30's, the second wasn't until the 50's, and documenting them in natural habitats didn't happen until as recently as the last two decades. They've also been found recently in Indonesia and Tanzania as well.

I agree with you that as far as terrestrial species go, finding large creatures is unlikely. It's far more likely that deep sea creatures would be found before something terrestrial. But that doesn't necessarily mean something doesn't exist either. It may not be Bigfoot or some other mythical creature but you never know.

Absence of evidence doesn't mean they exist or not, but playing by odds isn't exactly science either.
Old 2008-08-19, 19:52   Link #36
Hey Boss!
あの。。。

Quote:
The giant squid never had much evidence to support it because up until recently any corpses that were found were too far decomposed to make sense of. I guess "existence" might have been too strong of a word but there are cases in history like it, where corpses are discovered but are in such poor shape that identification is/was impossible. And even if you could say it was a species, it was difficult to learn anything about unusual features (odd color, shape, size, etc.).

The coelacanth is an example of this. The first documented specimen was in the 30's, the second wasn't until the 50's, and documenting them in natural habitats didn't happen until as recently as the last two decades. They've also been found recently in Indonesia and Tanzania as well.

I agree with you that as far as terrestrial species go, finding large creatures is unlikely. It's far more likely that deep sea creatures would be found before something terrestrial. But that doesn't necessarily mean something doesn't exist either. It may not be Bigfoot or some other mythical creature but you never know.

Absence of evidence doesn't mean they exist or not, but playing by odds isn't exactly science either.

Well...I still don't believe in anything in the supernatural , I must see it with my own eyes and Then I will believe in it but I must be sure that's it is real!!
Hey Boss! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-19, 21:42   Link #37
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
You know, there are tons of things that are about earth that humans either currently or never will grasp the concept of...We currently can't predict the climate years in advance (Or tomorrow's weather, for that matter), and just to show how much we don't know about the planet, we continually find new species of insects and birds in the thick forests and jungles of South America and Africa where modern civilization doesn't even go...God knows what kind of stuff lurks in the deep sea where the darkness and pressure keep anything of ours from delving down into...

But those are birds and bugs and fish; Those things are inconspicuously small and don't take up a lot of resources, so they can practically go unnoticed by humans while still manage to exist underneath our noses for centuries of time...But we're talking about Bigfoot; A bigass hairy humanoid creature that's as big as a 7'-tall man, probably leaves behind a wake of used resources if it's anything like a human or primate, and has been on the lookout by humans while living near humans after being sighted by humans (Sighted by humans, ALLEGEDLY, of course)...I hardly doubt anything like this would manage to either go unnoticed or unavoided for some time, and when we have the scientific technology to identify unknown bugs and birds, I don't see how we could possibly miss something we've seen, allegedly...

Maybe I'm being cynical, again, but to me it just seems like another man-made folklore...People have been known to tell stories; Ask any fisherman about the bass he caught that was "THIS" big...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-19, 23:04   Link #38
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightViper88 View Post
Maybe I'm being cynical, again, but to me it just seems like another man-made folklore...People have been known to tell stories; Ask any fisherman about the bass he caught that was "THIS" big...
Nope, you make some fair points. I agree with you. I'm just saying that people can't disprove the claims either, with the exception of people trying to hoax of course. Supposition does not count as proof or evidence, no matter how much logic or rationalization someone wants to throw at it.

Evidence isn't strong for the case of something like Bigfoot, but every folklore has some truth behind the legend. Even if it's something rather mundane and explainable. I'm just happy to see people with a passion to chase their curiosity, that's all.

What are we as humans without a sense of wonder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Boss!
Well...I still don't believe in anything in the supernatural , I must see it with my own eyes and Then I will believe in it but I must be sure that's it is real!!
Not a religious person I see.
Old 2008-08-20, 00:11   Link #39
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:

What are we as humans without a sense of wonder?
they call them accountants and they works for the IRS
Old 2008-08-20, 00:18   Link #40
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
they call them accountants and they works for the IRS
Touche!

Tags
myth