AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2011-08-23, 17:48   Link #8361
Fandal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaito-kid View Post
Wtf?! When did HnG turn into a manga about mangaka..? It looks like Hata has no idea where he is going with this.

I'm dropping this, someone please PM me when this manga is done, I'll read it then. So see guys in 10 years.
I feel kind of sorry for Hata. If I remember the discussions he had correctly, some earlier chapters he put his heart in, the chapters he told his own personal story are the ones everyone went "meh".

I suppose being a good author requires you to leave what you feel passionate about and 'working' on stuff others enjoy. I bet Hata would love to spend a few chapters telling all the challenges about making a manga or anime like Hayate but the more he does that, the more "meh" the series would get.

In the end though, mass production manga is really nothing more than a consumer art product for others to purchase for their own entertainment. The story is interesting and I know Hata likes talking about parts but I'm guessing he really wants to talk more about his work that most people would find quite boring.

What would you rather read? A chapter about the difficulties on inking a storyboard or a chapter on Athena training Hina on how to improve her swordplay? Poor Hata....
Fandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-23, 18:48   Link #8362
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

Send a message via MSN to LeaD36
read the last page of 333
immediately thought of katsuragi keima
LeaD36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-24, 01:18   Link #8363
Shadow5YA

Luca will succeed for reasons Hina already stated. Selling every copy of her manga will boost her morale more.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-24, 02:24   Link #8364
Used Can

You know, it'd be funny if, just as expected, Nagi's dōjinshi sells like hot cakes, but she later finds out everyone dumped her dōjin and simply kept the Maria pics.

Whilst I agree merchandising is very important, Nagi has turned what was supposed to be a mean into a goal. We've got no idea how much she's actually improved as far as her actual work is related. In fact, in the latest chapters, she seems to have been focused on everything else. In the end, no matter how many extras she adds, her work itself is the most important thing, if she ever wants to amount to something.

But well, I guess this goes on to show, once again, her forte is in business and finances.
Old 2011-08-24, 03:31   Link #8365
Sol Falling

lol, I do not think this is even a question of success anymore. Between Luca's 30 copies and Nagi's 1000, Nagi obviously stands to make the better money. Since she's going as far as to back up her product with complementary photo booklets of Maria (something with definite value, for sure), the sales are gonna happen. The real question here seems to be what Nagi and Luca are gonna be able to take away from the experience; while for Luca that's gonna be the feeling of grasping success through perseverance and her own power, all Nagi's gonna get is an experience of half-assing things and maybe a bit of cash. I think Nagi will be forced to recognize where she's mistaken soon enough. She's clearly hurtling down the wrong path at the moment, though.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-24, 05:20   Link #8366
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

hahaha.... both of them will succeed in different way..... I never expect that both of them actually really talented.....
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-24, 15:55   Link #8367
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post
hahaha.... both of them will succeed in different way..... I never expect that both of them actually really talented.....
Well, we knew Luca was - at being an idol. As for being a mangaka, that remains to be seen. As Hina said, she's still only a "50", which practically anyone can be, with just a bit of guidance and hard work. It doesn't take talent. I guess she'll still have to prove her talent by going from 80 to 90. And her genius by going from 95 to 98.

As for Nagi... She's good at making websites. The manga, though?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-24, 20:31   Link #8368
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

The less useful (in this case bad) something is, the more it sells.
Basic economy in our capitalist world
Old 2011-08-24, 21:08   Link #8369
Shadow5YA

Yeah, a work doesn't need to be a masterpiece to sell well, just passable and well known. I wouldn't call Shounen Jump's "Big 3" the best by any means, but they still do fairly well.
Old 2011-08-24, 22:08   Link #8370
Mentar
Banned

I honestly shake my head in bewilderment how many people seem to expect Nagi to succeed here. I'd have thought that the way Hata narrated the last two chapters would have been crystal clear: Luca is working on improving her manga, and it's near-certain that she'll sell out. Nagi has done NOTHING about her manga. NOTHING AT ALL. She may be a capable online marketer (even though I doubt her number breakdown), but she has always been a lousy mangaka, and she has made no progress there whatsoever.

The way things are going she'll probably achieve only two things:

1) Her marketing efforts will call alot of attention to her manga, which will have a lousy reception.
2) I strongly doubt that she'll be able to sell enough to get even close to breaking even.

What more could Hata possibly write or do to underscore that Nagi is doing anything BUT working on the manga?
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-25, 00:04   Link #8371
Shadow5YA

It's a given that it'll be Luca's moral victory. Whether Nagi's plan succeeds or not, she won't feel any better about it because she won't sell out like Luca probably will.
Old 2011-08-25, 03:21   Link #8372
Used Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaD36 View Post
The less useful (in this case bad) something is, the more it sells.
Basic economy in our capitalist world
Haha... you'd fail as the head of a company, though.
Nagi isn't simply selling crap. Notice she's actually merchandising things people want (i.e. Maria). She's using these things in order to sell her manga. What she hasn't noticed, though, is that people won't buy her manga because they want to read it, but simply because they want those Maria extras.

Once again, outstanding businesswoman, but so far, a terrible mangaka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
I honestly shake my head in bewilderment how many people seem to expect Nagi to succeed here.
It depends what "success" means here. If by success we mean selling all those copies and making money, she may be able to do it. But, on the other hand, as a mangaka, she'd gain nothing (of course, unless her manga is actually good, but we just don't know it).
Old 2011-08-25, 10:34   Link #8373
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
(of course, unless her manga is actually good, but we just don't know it).
Unless she's gotten considerably better recently, only Isumi will understand wtf is going on.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-25, 16:36   Link #8374
xellos2099

Now IF Luca made the manga and Nagi do the marketing, it would pure win!
xellos2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-25, 16:39   Link #8375
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xellos2099 View Post
Now IF Luca made the manga and Nagi do the marketing, it would pure win!

That really should be what Nagi need to concentrate on. She thinks like a businessman not a artist.
Old 2011-08-25, 16:44   Link #8376
xellos2099

Ideally, Nagi will team up with Luca after this, this will help Luca out of her debt and made Nagi more money. A good underground manga with no backing doesn't made much money, but a good manga with good financial support made a lot of money. As Priest- san said before, Nagi is blessed with money more than she know.
xellos2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-26, 01:27   Link #8377
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
I honestly shake my head in bewilderment how many people seem to expect Nagi to succeed here. I'd have thought that the way Hata narrated the last two chapters would have been crystal clear: Luca is working on improving her manga, and it's near-certain that she'll sell out. Nagi has done NOTHING about her manga. NOTHING AT ALL. She may be a capable online marketer (even though I doubt her number breakdown), but she has always been a lousy mangaka, and she has made no progress there whatsoever.

The way things are going she'll probably achieve only two things:

1) Her marketing efforts will call alot of attention to her manga, which will have a lousy reception.
2) I strongly doubt that she'll be able to sell enough to get even close to breaking even.

What more could Hata possibly write or do to underscore that Nagi is doing anything BUT working on the manga?
I think it'd be boring if she completely bombed. Just one more iteration of "Nagi's a terrible mangaka". An ambiguous outcome where there is contrast with Luca being proud of her work and selling it all to satisfied customers vs Nagi selling her manga but it being treated as trash that came with the important item (Maria's photobook) would be more interesting .
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-26, 07:36   Link #8378
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

You people kinda missed my point there.
It's like, when ppl go to a con and see the booth of their favourite idol and go all "zomg, it's maria-chwaan!!<3<3 love-love waku-waku" and when they get to the booth "zomg they got this maria photocollection alongside some manga, lemme buy 3 of those". And not "hey look, it's a random booth, that somehow feels familiar, let's check out their manga. *read manga* damn this is crap not worth buying."

Useless stuff sells damn well, u don't even have to look around in your room, i guess even the table you're having the laptop/screen on is full of stuff that serves no real purpose, but was well marketed.
Old 2011-08-28, 20:26   Link #8379
madmac

Quote:
I think it'd be boring if she completely bombed. Just one more iteration of "Nagi's a terrible mangaka". An ambiguous outcome where there is contrast with Luca being proud of her work and selling it all to satisfied customers vs Nagi selling her manga but it being treated as trash that came with the important item (Maria's photobook) would be more interesting .
Basically, this. I mean, because Nagi went the marketing route, she'll never know how well her manga would have done on it's own merits, and that's really where she cheated herself. All that hard work (And we did see her working very hard.) and practically no one who bought it will even look at it.

Also, I don't get all this "Luka should draw all the manga from now on" stuff. Luka got better advice and will probably come out of this with a moral victory, but it's not like she's accomplished anything Nagi isn't capable of with proper guidance. If anything, it just means Luka starts with a leg up and pushes Nagi into the underdog role for this arc which is where she was going to end up anyways.

Hata did say this was the start of the "hot summer arc" so I fully expect Nagi and Luka to come out of this as proper hotblooded rivals. I'm just wondering where the Maizumi guy comes in...
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-28, 21:46   Link #8380
M.A.D

I suppose the logical conclusion is that the fanbase bought all 1000 books, keep the photo collection, and Nagi later found all 1000 books in the trash bin.. or better yet, having it ridiculed on the net.

Of course, it's either that or she gets zero sale. Nothing in between
M.A.D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, shounen