Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-07, 21:49   Link #361
grgspunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eryops View Post
All the Japanese Higurashi DVD covers looked rather deceptive. Based on their appearance one would guess that the series was a slice of life show.
Spoiler for plot spoiler regarding episode 1-4:
Geneon used the artwork from the R2 LE's for the R1 box, didn't they? I don't think they had much of a choice if they had a limited amount of artwork to deal with.

Quote:
Do you happen to know if the are continuing with the same format as Geneon's releases or if they're repackaging and rereleasing the series?
When you mean by "repackaging and rereleasing" the series, are you asking if they'll release a collection or a box set? Well, If you check TRSI, they've updated their upcoming lineup:

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6.../changes/4/0/0

FUNimation is releasing volumes 1-4 (including the LE) in September as part of their initial batch of license-rescued solicitations. Since they're releasing the DVDs as singles, they'll most likely be releasing them with the same packaging as last year.

Last edited by Skyfall; 2008-07-11 at 16:03.
Old 2008-07-08, 04:09   Link #362
Eryops

Quote:
Originally Posted by grgspunk View Post
Geneon used the artwork from the R2 LE's for the R1 box, didn't they? I don't think they had much of a choice if they had a limited amount of artwork to deal with.
Yes, but they drastically changed the color of the images, which should hint that it isn't what it seems.

Quote:
FUNimation is releasing volumes 1-4 (including the LE) in September as part of their initial batch of license-rescued solicitations. Since they're releasing the DVDs as singles, they'll most likely be releasing them with the same packaging as last year.
This is what I was wondering about. Since I already have the first 3 DVDs from Genon, I was curious about whether they'd pick up where Geneon left off. I'd just prefer that all the DVDs for the same series would looked the same. (And would also rather not see different numbers of episodes in the new disks, since I could end up having to buy disks with repeats of episodes from the old DVDs.) But I agree that since they're picking up from the 4th disk they're probably continuing in the same format as Geneon's disks were.
Old 2008-07-08, 11:46   Link #363
grgspunk

Quote:
Yes, but they drastically changed the color of the images, which should hint that it isn't what it seems.
I was talking about the artbox, not the photo-negative art on the DVD cases. Unless we're talking about the change in the background of the artbox, the girls cosplaying in the Angel Mort uniforms looked the same as the R2 versions.

Anyways, I wonder when volumes 5 and 6 will be solicited?
Old 2008-07-09, 02:41   Link #364
Little Machi
Banned

I'm afraid I don't know, but I really hope for changes.

Eryops, grg, you really need to edit your posts. This thread is not marked for spoilers...
Old 2008-07-09, 07:02   Link #365
Eryops

Quote:
I was talking about the artbox, not the photo-negative art on the DVD cases. Unless we're talking about the change in the background of the artbox, the girls cosplaying in the Angel Mort uniforms looked the same as the R2 versions.

Anyways, I wonder when volumes 5 and 6 will be solicited?
Ah, OK. I didn't realize you were referring to the box. It probably shouldn't be much of a problem though, since the DVDs themselves are separate from the box and I imagine that many stores will only stock the regular rather than special editions anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Machi View Post
Eryops, grg, you really need to edit your posts. This thread is not marked for spoilers...
It's the first scene in the first episode of the first season. And in any case, I'll wager that anyone reading this thread has at the very least watched Onikakushi-hen.
Old 2008-07-11, 10:52   Link #366
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Since the discussion involves about the anime license, i believe that things shown withing the first episode shouldn't count as spoilers. However, for the issue in question i can't say with certainty one way or another, as for a newcomer who isn't familiar with characters at the time the scene might be too ambiguous to decipher and characters too unfamiliar to recognize. Since the actual explanation of the scene comes at a later time, i am going to ask for spoiler tags to be used when discussing it. Also note that tags should have proper labels indicating the nature of the spoiler, otherwise it greatly lessens the purpose as people would be left in the dark about what they are getting in to.

That said, it never hurts to exercise common courtesy (Properly labeled spoiler tags in this case) when in doubt and touching a rather sticky subject - only good can come from it

Several of the last posts have been removed.
Old 2008-07-12, 17:20   Link #367
ayukanon45
Doujin Music Composer

Send a message via MSN to ayukanon45
I hope to god that they DO NOT redub it. I love the current dub, and if the second series were to be licensed, it would be awesome if Funi kept continuity. Although someting tells me that it is highly unlikely.
Old 2008-07-12, 17:29   Link #368
Shinigami-Momo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayukanon45 View Post
I hope to god that they DO NOT redub it. I love the current dub, and if the second series were to be licensed, it would be awesome if Funi kept continuity. Although someting tells me that it is highly unlikely.
It was already fully dubbed when Geneon was releasing it. There would be no point in redubbing as the show is getting rereleased in September with the first 4 volumes released on the same day. Also it take months for a show to get dubbed and it is expensive. Besides Geneon has control over the dubbing for all of their shows that Funimation is releasing.
Old 2008-07-12, 19:32   Link #369
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami-Momo View Post
It was already fully dubbed when Geneon was releasing it. There would be no point in redubbing as the show is getting rereleased in September with the first 4 volumes released on the same day. Also it take months for a show to get dubbed and it is expensive. Besides Geneon has control over the dubbing for all of their shows that Funimation is releasing.
True enough, redubbing is a lengthy and expensive process. However, I cannot bear hearing those voices. Of all of them, only Mion/Shion and Miyo's voices were good, and this was their first project.

Honestly, the vast majority of the cast just doesn't sound.....bipolar enough.
Old 2008-07-12, 19:58   Link #370
Little Machi
Banned

Tomitake's voice was awesome. Rika's was horrible.

And they actually finished dubbing after the DVDs started being released. My friend voices two characters in the show, and he kept me up to date on recordings.
Old 2008-07-12, 21:29   Link #371
grgspunk

I wasn't fond of Rika or Rena's voices. I loved Mion/Shion's voice though...
Old 2008-07-12, 23:00   Link #372
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

For the voice acting the real problem was Rika, you need a voice actess capable of doing the cuteness of Rika and the darkness of Frederica.
For the one than had listen the Onikakushi-hen drama-cd, the voice fo Rika was pretty much betweem Rika and Frederica, so I wonder if they did not planned at the start to make RIka switch voice from time to time.
Old 2008-07-13, 06:41   Link #373
Eryops

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
For the voice acting the real problem was Rika, you need a voice actess capable of doing the cuteness of Rika and the darkness of Frederica.
For the one than had listen the Onikakushi-hen drama-cd, the voice fo Rika was pretty much betweem Rika and Frederica, so I wonder if they did not planned at the start to make RIka switch voice from time to time.
That seems likely. In this piece Irie says "Her voice is the same... and yet, for some reason, I feel like I'm being lectured by a Rika-chan that I don't know...."
Old 2008-07-16, 17:20   Link #374
ayukanon45
Doujin Music Composer

Send a message via MSN to ayukanon45
I'm just wondering, where have I heard Minx Lee (Satoko) before?
and Rika's voice, from what I heard (Volumes 1 and 2) was okay. Did they really ever have a chance to get into Dark Rika?
Old 2008-07-16, 19:16   Link #375
Little Machi
Banned

I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be Dark Rika speaking in the previews, but who knows if the US release went along with that. It sounds kind of like Mion.O_o If it is Dark Rika, I actually like it.
Old 2008-07-16, 22:06   Link #376
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

You hear Dark Rika in the 3th dvd (zone1 ) at the first chapter of Himatsubushi-hen.
Old 2008-07-26, 21:05   Link #377
Oyajitchi
Giroro's Bestest nakama

I personally hate the current english dubb of Higurashi. I mean they completly ruined the pyscho laughter! And not to mention TONS of other things as well!

I am soo~ happy one of my favorite english dubbers is re-dubbing this series!
Old 2008-07-27, 01:24   Link #378
Dreamiel
Rena X Keiichi FOREVER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyajitchi View Post
I personally hate the current english dubb of Higurashi. I mean they completly ruined the pyscho laughter! And not to mention TONS of other things as well!

I am soo~ happy one of my favorite english dubbers is re-dubbing this series!
I agree with you about it sucking, but funimation most likely won't bother re-dubbing it, just like what many of the previous posts say.
Old 2008-07-28, 18:28   Link #379
Dante of the Inferno
Turnin' the Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyajitchi View Post
I personally hate the current english dubb of Higurashi. I mean they completly ruined the pyscho laughter!
Surely you can't be referring to Mion/Shion's laugh. Her seamless transition from a crying wimper to a malevolent laugh in Watanagashi-hen's phone scene displayed pure talent.
Old 2008-07-29, 11:10   Link #380
Oyajitchi
Giroro's Bestest nakama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamiel View Post
I agree with you about it sucking, but funimation most likely won't bother re-dubbing it, just like what many of the previous posts say.
No...they might...

I mean they are currently completly re-dubbing One Piece, and look how that is turning out! The fans say it is da bomb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante of the Inferno View Post
Surely you can't be referring to Mion/Shion's laugh. Her seamless transition from a crying wimper to a malevolent laugh in Watanagashi-hen's phone scene displayed pure talent.
Well to my knowledge when watching it back then, I remember it sucking...I don't reall feel like going to my room right now...or ever to replay the DVD rigt now...unless I see a clip on Youtube. XP
Closed Thread