AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Muv-Luv Franchise > Total Eclipse

Notices

Old 2012-07-23, 09:24   Link #1261
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
KGB will totally buy Yuuya telling them that he only followed the White Rabbit loli so he could have a tea party with her and the teddy bear.
Old 2012-07-23, 09:36   Link #1262
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
The anti-americanism of this anime had been blown out of proportion as far as I could observe. Most of time, we get the "BUT! It's cliche!" card.

EDIT:

Whoever thought of that old movie by Clint Eastwood and starring himself when the engineer told Yuuya to think Japanese, if he want to fly a japanese TSF right, raise your hand.
*raises hand* I think it's the only film of the book that's so awesome, the book's author accepts it as canon, wrote a sequel based partly on the book and partly on the movie, and retconned the Firefox design to follow the movie.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 10:04   Link #1263
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
*raises hand* I think it's the only film of the book that's so awesome, the book's author accepts it as canon, wrote a sequel based partly on the book and partly on the movie, and retconned the Firefox design to follow the movie.
Ah! So that's what pinged in my head when I heard that line. I knew it sounded somehow familiar...
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 10:45   Link #1264
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
Yui is definitely giving me the "Japanese are a superior race" vibe.
You realize she's a typical samurai breed? It's not so much an issue of nation dick waving so much as the characters all have their issues....Yui has a her pride and Yuuya is well...Yuuya's is obvious...such hostility...

But I still love Inia nonetheless...

Last edited by Cosmic Eagle; 2012-07-23 at 10:58.
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 10:48   Link #1265
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
Ah! So that's what pinged in my head when I heard that line. I knew it sounded somehow familiar...
Hah! I still got the hardcopy of that book somewhere. Belonged to my father...

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt. Run in little circles, wave your arms and shout.
grevierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 10:48   Link #1266
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enternal View Post
Really? I'm getting the "Japanese are infeior. Yui, you are a Japanese and therefore you are inferior". Remember, due to what Yuuya experienced as a child, he's trying to throw away his Japanese side.
No Yui emphasized second generation Japanese and then went on about Imperial Japan blah, blah, blah. He's actually half Japanese by ethnicity and American by nationality so Imperial Japan has nothing to do with the conversation. It's implying she thinks that Japan is superior.
Old 2012-07-23, 10:53   Link #1267
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
No Yui emphasized second generation Japanese and then went on about Imperial Japan blah, blah, blah. He's actually half Japanese by ethnicity and American by nationality so Imperial Japan has nothing to do with the conversation. It's implying she thinks that Japan is superior.
I think you are putting too much agro into this. She wants him to be proud of his Japanese ancestry. He doesn't want to have anything to do with the Japanese, or be recognized as one. Since they are not talking to each other at this point, they both have issues.

In the MLA world, Japan actually has the most respect for America, and vice versa, due to their efforts in assisting each other. Its just there are points of conflict due to culture and self-interest, which is why the UN forces are normally where both ends meet. Direct interaction with each other's polity is generally taken only for official purposes, and any 'lost' of face in those are looked down upon by both populace.

So while the general citizen has a moderate view of the other's country viewpoint, the soldiers know the other side has good people willing to lay down their lives for theirs.

Anyway, look at the Mil Tac thread for more info if you want to know more. Some people have drawn good comparisons. The anime can't show much in a 30 min episode, and this is still the beginning.

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt. Run in little circles, wave your arms and shout.
grevierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 11:10   Link #1268
Miraluka
Banned

Still, she is doing it wrong way.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 11:28   Link #1269
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
Still, she is doing it wrong way.
It's true. She should just kick his ass. But never fear. It seems the ass whooping is coming next episode. ^__^
Old 2012-07-23, 11:35   Link #1270
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
It's true. He should just kick her ass. But never fear. It seems the ass whooping is coming next episode. ^__^
Yeah , I'm looking forward to see that .
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 11:39   Link #1271
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
Yeah , I'm looking forward to see that .
You seriously think he can beat her? Even for an anime-only viewer like me it's pretty obvious she's gonna make him eat his own ass.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I expect him to get better and more skilled at some point, but I'm pretty sure right now he has no chance.
Old 2012-07-23, 11:43   Link #1272
sikvod00

I assumed from the emoticons that Wilfriback knows Yui is going to destroy Yuuya, and he actually isn't looking forward to seeing it.
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 11:45   Link #1273
galdr

Yuuya could probably win if its Raptor vs Takemikazuchi. Since I doubt he improves that much in 1 episode, he will probably still suck at using Japanese TSFs.
galdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 11:46   Link #1274
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikvod00 View Post
I assumed from the emoticons that Wilfriback knows Yui is going to destroy Yuuya, and he actually isn't looking forward to seeing it.
Oh well, if that's the case just ignore everything I said.
Old 2012-07-23, 11:47   Link #1275
sikvod00

By the way, is Yuuya really the only pilot there with no actual experience fighting BETA's?
Old 2012-07-23, 11:48   Link #1276
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikvod00 View Post
By the way, is Yuuya really the only pilot there with no actual experience fighting BETA's?
That's what it seems. Chobi and the other dude seem to have experience at the very least.
Old 2012-07-23, 11:50   Link #1277
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
It's true. She should just kick his ass. But never fear. It seems the ass whooping is coming next episode. ^__^
He'll probably do Ok for a bit, but then start complaining about how sensitive the controls are, and then get caught in some swift strafing maneuver by Yui. And then she'll kick his ass, yes.

If executed well, it could be pretty funny.

Edit: Mecha is at its best when you have funny little squabbles between an ace pilot and a superior. Like Amuro Ray/Bright Noa, or Madoka/Tadokoro.
Old 2012-07-23, 11:52   Link #1278
sikvod00

Ah, OK. I was thinking all the pilots who came in representing different nations were noobs in that respect and Yui was just unfairly singling him out solely because of his mixed ethnicity/nationality (obviously that's still a reason). But that knowledge really changes my perspective. Yeah, even though Yui has been on his ass, he really does need to be dropped a few pegs. Better to be humiliated and insulted and learn from your mistakes than to be utterly destroyed by a BETA within a matter of seconds.
Old 2012-07-23, 11:54   Link #1279
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
He'll probably do Ok for a bit, but then start complaining about how sensitive the controls are, and then get caught in some swift strafing maneuver by Yui. And then she'll kick his ass, yes.
I actually would like a fight between his new mecha that was just delivered against Yui's golden death machine (the one shown at the end of the OP).

That way he wouldn't complain that it's the mecha's fault he sucks.
Old 2012-07-23, 11:57   Link #1280
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Send a message via ICQ to Tk3997 Send a message via AIM to Tk3997 Send a message via MSN to Tk3997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
It makes some sense to me that Yui would perceive Yuuya as this shallow pilot who thinks he's "hot stuff" when he knows nothing about the horrors that the BETA can inflict.
I'd say he knows plenty unless we stupidly assume US training includes NO information about the alien swarm ravaging the earth and killing billions. Not having seen them first hand isn't really that much of a determent given how rock stupid they are. Honestly the BETA are so retarded good simulation should be pretty much the same as facing them in combat. They're not innovative, they're not adaptive, they're not clever.

Quote:
Yuuya meanwhile has reason to resent the Japanese side of his heritage (due to all the grief it caused him growing up), as others have pointed out on this thread.
Well that and Yui being a HUGE bitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
You realize she's a typical samurai breed? It's not so much an issue of nation dick waving so much as the characters all have their issues....Yui has a her pride and Yuuya is well...Yuuya's is obvious...such hostility...
Yeah what a hostile guy tries to do his duty, gives up advantages to others to avoid fights, puts up with Yui's shit constantly and gets along with most people beside her. Such a rebel, so mean! Yeah surely it's not the fact Yui is a bigoted bitch that results in friction, na TOTALLY on Yuuya.

Let’s just count the blindingly unprofessional and dishonest aspects.

Spoiler for Yui is a Stupid Bitch:

Tk3997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, aliens, mecha, romance, science fiction, seinen