AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Negima

Notices

Old 2006-08-12, 02:29   Link #1
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Negima!? TV (Generic Discussion)

Genre: Comedy, Shounen, Supernatural

Expected Release Date: October 4, 2006

This is pretty much a remake of Mahou Sensei Negima, a series that aired in summer 2005. A lot of fans of the manga title thought the series was a total let down in art and animation after when MSN (Mahou Sensei Negima) manga enjoyed its huge popularity due to beautiful drawing. This time the studio that is going to handle the remake of this series is going to be Shaft who has produced high quality animation works such as, Tsukuyomi: Moon Phase, REC, Pani Poni Dash and has been involved in animation works such as Mushishi, Blood +, Honey Clover, Eureka 7, etc. Though its understandable that many fans will want to maintain some note of pessimism to not to get their hopes up once again, which is very much understandable considering how the anime production companies handle the show last time, the fans should note that Shaft wasn't involved in MSN's first attempt of anime adaptation. A synopsis in the following for those who haven't already seen the previous anime adaptation or didn't read the manga: (taken from ANN)
10-year old Negi Springfield is a wizard-in-training, and needs only to pass one more test in order to become a Master Wizard. Unfortunately, his final task is a bizarre one- to become a English teacher at an all-females boarding school. As soon as he arrives, he completely embarasses one of his students, Asuna Kagurazaka, and replaces the teacher she loves, which garners her hatred. To make matters worse, Asuna learns that Negi is a wizard,and promises to tell unless he helps her out. But, unfortunately, circumstances force them to work together to do many things, from fighting evil wizards to helping the class pass their final exam, with a lot of humor, magic, and romances thrown in.
Very much looking forward to this!
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-12, 02:52   Link #2
kakasensai
Akitsuki San

Well everyone is looking forward to it as i am...^^ Cant Wait
kakasensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-12, 04:04   Link #3
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

wait... they're *REMAKING* the original series?????!!!!! ... so we'll be able to call the first series "That Which Will Not Be Spoken Of" ?????

I thought they were going to jump into ... o never mind. This is pretty cool IF they're taking another swing at a first season.

Hmmmm, hope they keep the majority of episode 19 ... that episode was lovely as it was. The rest they can recycle.

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-08-12 at 04:17.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-12, 05:37   Link #4
Ialdaboth

As long as it's Akiyuki Shinbo directing, I will be watching it.
Old 2006-08-12, 16:53   Link #5
Maximum Burst
Intelligent Device

From what I understand, I think it's going to be a completely original story that uses the characters of Negima. There's gonna be some emphasis on cards in this one. The background of this image

http://www.geocities.jp/tks_yngsw/Ne...age/000125.jpg

shows some of the cards. It sure will be an interesting season. Oh, and a lot of the hair colors are weird in this one (Natsumi with green hair?! ; ; ).
Maximum Burst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-12, 17:17   Link #6
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

Wait, I thought Asuna had different coloured eyes?
Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-12, 17:26   Link #7
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker
Wait, I thought Asuna had different coloured eyes?
She does. We talked about the fact that her eyes have been changed when the first poster was released. Its the same with Nodoka's hair color being changed.

Kinda a shock really, but hey - whatever works.

Of course i'm looking forward to this, probably more then anything this year (apart from Kanon remake of course).
Old 2006-08-12, 19:27   Link #8
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum Burst
From what I understand, I think it's going to be a completely original story that uses the characters of Negima.
Yeah, I think so too, first indicated by the "Negima!?" title (with the question mark - that's part of the title), and also by the solicitation of new manga series (in addition to the usual Negima! series) based on the anime's version of the story. So, it seems like a sort of "Futakoi Alternative" scenario, but we'll have to wait and see to be sure.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-12, 19:29   Link #9
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

If it is going to be a completely new storyline, then us Manga readers have a lot more to look forward to.. still i won't be totally un-happy if they go with the some of the manga storylines. There are a few parts i'd love to see animated~
Old 2006-08-13, 13:24   Link #10
Veni-vidi-vici

The whole "!" and "?" thing reminds me of FMP series, where the psuedo-sequal fumoffu was originally going to be "Fullmetal Panic?" as opposed to the first season "Fullmetal Panic!" The Idea was scrapped since there's no way people could tell if someone was talking about the first or second season.
Veni-vidi-vici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-13, 15:23   Link #11
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

So... my "Negima Alternative" joke has become reality..... edit --- but wait, that PLOT SYNOPSIS that monir posted is just from the first season description. Have we got a plot synopsis for the upcoming series yet? (nothing on ANN, trying to decipher anything on the website now)

edit2: well... the website is a lot of armwaving.. but it does sound like they're starting from scratch. Cross my fingers and call that a good thing.

For some reason, Asuna losing her eye colors really disappoints me, it was a major feature of her looks.
Chach is going to be a lot more robotic looking (at least at first) --- wonder if they're going to pull in the idea of her taking on more human looks as the series progresses as her maintainer tinkers...
Zazie looks a lot more exotic/alien - which I find good. Mana and Kaede are looking okay.
Evangeline is giving me a "Becky and Hazuki's evil twin sister" feel (heh).
... otherwise, allowing for the "SHAFT/TMP/PPD" art style, I'm thinking most of the girls are looking pretty good. It'll really depend on how the actual animation looks compared to these model templates.

Hopefully, the "second tier girls" (like Mana/Kaede, etc) will get more airtime this round.... I'd like to see more of the Yue/Nodoka/Negi triangle antics but it still isn't clear whether romance is going to be muted in favor of action yet.

Has one of our seiyuu stalkers sat down and compared the original VA list to the new one? What changes are there?

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-08-13 at 15:47.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-13, 16:31   Link #12
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Has one of our seiyuu stalkers sat down and compared the original VA list to the new one? What changes are there?
Has anything actually said they're going to be different?

The OAV that shall be airing this month (i think) has the same VA cast as the original series.. so hopefully the remake shall as well.
Old 2006-08-13, 16:37   Link #13
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I am happy to put the previous Negima out of my mind once and for all. Negima deserves better (it's really got potential)

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-13, 17:42   Link #14
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

There's an Negima OVA preview out. Did anyone check that? I'm downloading it right now. Let's see if it looks better then the first Negima
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-13, 17:45   Link #15
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Although I should not rely much on Wikipedia, the entry for Negima? there says it's going to air late afternoons in contrast to the first series, which aired late nights.

Also, the second series will be more focused on magic, mage battles, and interpersonal relationships, meaning no or less fanservice.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-13, 18:13   Link #16
JanthraX^
Ace Archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido
meaning no or less fanservice.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Ken is awesome at fanservice some of his influence has to get thru.

I liked the original anime, hopefully this new one will be much better and stay more true (including fanservice) to the manga.
JanthraX^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-13, 18:13   Link #17
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

won't really miss the explicit fanservice... always thought that steered people away from the manga that might have otherwise enjoyed the story. (not that I'm complaining but it did get a little ridiculous at times) ... fortunately the romance didn't depend on any "fanservicey" skin exposure.
Old 2006-08-13, 18:16   Link #18
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

With the whole bases of the story being about a school full of beautiful girls.. of course fanservice is gonna be included. ^^;

Funny enough, when looking at the new art style.. i just can't fanservice being apart of it~
Old 2006-08-13, 21:01   Link #19
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

The animation is perfect for Negima. I could pretty much tell it would be from seeing the posters/scans in the past, but it actually means a lot more when being able to see them in action. Each character looks just how they should look in a anime, right down to the colors used.

It seems they'll sticking to the summer beach arc every step of the way.. even looks like we'll be getting more that'll add upto it being a OVA.

With the remake airing later this year, this really is a good start to Negima of the future, but still - the original series shall always have a special place within me. ^^

Last edited by Shiroth; 2006-08-13 at 21:16.
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-13, 21:29   Link #20
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I am not surprised with fanservice^n out of Negima. PPD! was like that (I would like to know actually if there will be in-jokes cracked at PPD itself when Negima airs although Negima's already very wild.)
I can't imagine how long it will take for the animation to get to the world tree storyarc. Sigh... but no matter. I am loving what I see already.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote