Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-03-07, 19:15   Link #12321
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Looking at the direction the world's going, I think it's high time I moved to a deserted island. Or space.
or like customary for the japanese of all ages... be an hero.
Old 2011-03-07, 19:17   Link #12322
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Oh I'm far too cynical for that. You'd have to kill just about every head of major business and practically raze Washington DC to the ground just to get a start on fixing America alone.
Old 2011-03-07, 19:37   Link #12323
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
meanwhile on the other side of atlantic...

http://www.haaretz.com/misc/article-...225%2C2.226%2C
Old 2011-03-07, 19:52   Link #12324
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Oh I'm far too cynical for that. You'd have to kill just about every head of major business and practically raze Washington DC to the ground just to get a start on fixing America alone.
I say we all just end it here and now. Nuke the damn world. I'ts evident we're incapable of saving ourselves, much less a "savior" itself.
Old 2011-03-07, 20:05   Link #12325
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

GOP to College Students, You are too stupid to Vote

Quote:
"Voting as a liberal. That's what kids do," he added, his comments taped by a state Democratic Party staffer and posted on YouTube. Students lack "life experience," and "they just vote their feelings."
New Hampshire House Republicans are pushing for new laws that would prohibit many college students from voting in the state - and effectively keep some from voting at all.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=topnews
So who is next in line for the GOP to disenfranchise?
Old 2011-03-07, 20:10   Link #12326
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post

So who is next in line for the GOP to disenfranchise?
Too bad we can't do '' FoxNews viewers, You are too gullible to Vote''
( of course we could change ''gullible'' for other reasons but it's probably the more soft one . )
Old 2011-03-07, 20:28   Link #12327
flying ^

Quote:
he rests his case

Old 2011-03-07, 20:50   Link #12328
solidguy
I'm not a tumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
he rests his case

Spoiler for stupid media:

Wow. Talk about hypocrits
Old 2011-03-07, 21:10   Link #12329
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidguy View Post
[/SPOILER]

Wow. Talk about hypocrits
Maybe.
They wouldn't refuse the vote from those uninformed ones but yell if they would vote for the ''enemy''.
But the level of ignorance of the voter could be a serious, on than I would say than he is right.
Old 2011-03-07, 21:18   Link #12330
solidguy
I'm not a tumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Maybe.
They wouldn't refuse the vote from those uninformed ones but yell if they would vote for the ''enemy''.
But the level of ignorance of the voter could be a serious, on than I would say than he is right.
Who's to say who's informed and who's uninformed? This is a democracy and everyone has the right to vote. That is at the core of our western civilization. The moment we begin picking and choosing based off intelligence or "informedness" is the day Hitler wins. Are you prepared to let Hitler win?</sarcasm>
Old 2011-03-07, 21:24   Link #12331
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

So let's see, over the past few weeks:

- Governor Walker of Wisconsin tries to destroy collective bargaining, as well as sneaking in a few no-oversight powers over state property while at it.

- Senator King emulates McCarthy as he attempts to demonize Muslims, returning attention to Islamic radicalism at the very moment when the Arab world is bravely fighting for a third way, a better way, and secular forces are on the rise that might render it into irrelevance...

- A far right radical committed terrorist violence against an elected official. He was branded a mentally ill person, nothing to do with the climate of hate, not at all...

- Republican legislators all over the country are seeking to restrict the franchise of a pro-Democrat voting base with flimsy excuses.

- Progressive environmental regulations are under heavy fire in the Senate committees.

Old 2011-03-07, 21:31   Link #12332
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Who's to say who's informed and who's uninformed? This is a democracy and everyone has the right to vote. That is at the core of our western civilization. The moment we begin picking and choosing based off intelligence or "informedness" is the day Hitler wins. Are you prepared to let Hitler win?</sarcasm>
The thing to do isn't to choose who can vote but to better inform the voter. Yes, in democraty everyone have the right to vote but, voting without knowledge to make the right decision pointless, as efficient as tossing a nickel.
Old 2011-03-07, 21:36   Link #12333
flying ^

Quote:
"Voting as a liberal. That's what kids do," he added, his comments taped by a state Democratic Party staffer and posted on YouTube. Students lack "life experience," and "they just vote their feelings."
New Hampshire House Republicans are pushing for new laws that would prohibit many college students from voting in the state - and effectively keep some from voting at all.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=topnews

that's your takeaway for that article?

here's mine

One bill would permit students to vote in their college towns only if they or their parents had previously established permanent residency there - requiring all others to vote in the states or other New Hampshire towns they come from. Another bill would end Election Day registration, which O'Brien said unleashes swarms of students on polling places, creating opportunities for fraud.

Backers of the voting measures say they would bring fairness and restore confidence in a voting system vulnerable to fraud. Many states, for instance, do not require identification to vote. Measures being proposed in 32 states would add an ID requirement or proof of citizenship, according to an analysis by the Brennan Center for Justice at New York University. "I want to know when I walk into the poll that they know I am who I say I am and that nobody else has said that they are me," said North Carolina state Rep. Ric Killian (R), who is preparing to introduce legislation that would require voters to show a photo ID at the polls.
Old 2011-03-07, 21:47   Link #12334
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
So let's see, over the past few weeks:

- Governor Walker of Wisconsin tries to destroy collective bargaining, as well as sneaking in a few no-oversight powers over state property while at it.

- Senator King emulates McCarthy as he attempts to demonize Muslims, returning attention to Islamic radicalism at the very moment when the Arab world is bravely fighting for a third way, a better way, and secular forces are on the rise that might render it into irrelevance...

- A far right radical committed terrorist violence against an elected official. He was branded a mentally ill person, nothing to do with the climate of hate, not at all...

- Republican legislators all over the country are seeking to restrict the franchise of a pro-Democrat voting base with flimsy excuses.

- Progressive environmental regulations are under heavy fire in the Senate committees.

So what's the bad news?
Old 2011-03-07, 21:55   Link #12335
solidguy
I'm not a tumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
The thing to do isn't to choose who can vote but to better inform the voter. Yes, in democraty everyone have the right to vote but, voting without knowledge to make the right decision pointless, as efficient as tossing a nickel.
As i said before who decides who is informed and who isn't. If a guy wants to vote for a politician because he likes his style of shoes then who are we to say his vote is wasted. Because of his beliefs he might think a person with nice shoes is someone of important stature. What im getting at is that as long as you are a living, breathing, citizen then you have the right to vote (unless your under age....). Well theoretically anyway
Old 2011-03-07, 21:58   Link #12336
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...ostcount=11221

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...ostcount=11388
Old 2011-03-07, 22:20   Link #12337
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
When America was founded, not everybody had a right to vote. The Founding Fathers were against a pure Democracy. Hence why we are a Constitutional Republic, NOT a true Democracy. And I don't believe everybody should be allowed to vote either.
Old 2011-03-07, 23:22   Link #12338
flying ^

oh noes

"The US military has a demographic crisis"
Old 2011-03-07, 23:37   Link #12339
AnimeFan188

Homeland Security looked into covert body scans

"The Homeland Security Department paid contractors millions of dollars to develop
and study surveillance systems that could covertly track pedestrians and check
under people's clothing with airport-style body scanners as they enter train
stations, bus depots or major events, newly released documents show."

See:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...ans04_ST_N.htm
Old 2011-03-07, 23:44   Link #12340
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
Too many? Suddenly it's bad for whites to be more apparent than others? Jesus, it's like at my school where all attempts to create a "White" or "Caucasian" club have failed. White guilt it is.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international