AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-09-28, 11:22   Link #3501
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I'm still confused why people care so much about trophies in the first place...
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-28, 12:15   Link #3502
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I only use trophies and achievements so I know I've completed something during the first playthrough. Unless they unlocks something in-game. Otherwise I could care less for achievements.
Old 2012-09-29, 01:24   Link #3503
Kid Ryan
Playful Explorer

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Why wouldn't it? Isn't it mandatory for every new PS3 game?
Sorry, I was confused earlier, misread the article .
Kid Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 17:18   Link #3504
biodude711

Send a message via AIM to biodude711
Apparently, the reason why Bioware's founders left was primarily due to the negativity the fans gave ME3 and SWtOR.

Fan Negativity Behind Bioware Founders Departure
Old 2012-09-29, 17:26   Link #3505
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by biodude711 View Post
Apparently, the reason why Bioware's founders left was primarily due to the negativity the fans gave ME3 and SWtOR.

Well that's what happens when you **** things up.

If you want to put through with artistic integrity then you better stand up to critics and answer for it.

Or should we have just shut up and take it as it was? Regardless of how poor the ending was?

And if what we heard from the other sources (about how the docs took control over the ending and such) then it's obvious that they let the fame go to their heads, thinking that they could do no wrong and such.

The USSR defeated Nazi Germany because unlike Hitler who thought he was a military genius and could do no wrong Stalin knew that he was no general and took a step back and allowed real military leaders to do the fighting.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 18:13   Link #3506
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
The USSR defeated Nazi Germany because unlike Hitler who thought he was a military genius and could do no wrong Stalin knew that he was no general and took a step back and allowed real military leaders to do the fighting.
And thus, Godwin’s law was invoked.
Old 2012-09-29, 18:36   Link #3507
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

For clarification I was pointing out that sometimes it's best to let go of your ego and let someone else whose better suited to doing the job.

From what I read and heard, Ray thought that he didn't need the other writers and went off on his own tangent. That's why the Quarian and Krogan story arcs were ok but when it came down to the ending, he took control and it just fell flat.

In other words I'm using the USSR vs Germany as an example or a parallel. I'm not comparing anyone to Nazis and it's the best example I can think of in regards to letting your ego out of control(Example, Hitler not letting his military advisors do their job and thus ruining himself while Stalin let his generals do what they're trained to do and win). If Ray had just let the actual writers do it I don't think Mass Effect 3's ending would've been so bad.

I'm not comparing anyone to Nazis so stuff your Godwin's Law away.
Old 2012-09-29, 19:34   Link #3508
Key Board
Carbon

I'm pretty sure you heard wrong

Ray Muyza was merely a producer. Producers are not involved in the development process.

I think what you have in mind was the lead Director Casey Hudson who supposedly went along with his own vision without the feedback of the rest of the staff. Though, it is within his authority to do that as lead Director.

Regardless, he is supposedly to blame for story direction

I think Ray Muzyka left simply because they were too many bitter and unpleasant fans.

Yes, pre-extended cut was clearly an unfinished product and fans have the right to address it.

but it was done in a very vitriolic way that leaves a bitter aftertaste.
In fact, the last time I checked the Bioware forums, it's still going on.
if that's the future of Bioware fandom then I can see why they would leave.
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 22:01   Link #3509
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Ah right of course.

Quote:
I think what you have in mind was the lead Director Casey Hudson who supposedly went along with his own vision without the feedback of the rest of the staff. Though, it is within his authority to do that as lead Director.
I never questioned his authority for doing so.

I merely pointed out that due to his big ego (artistic integrity), he decided that only he could come up with a great story and ending and this is the result of him not working with people who actually specialize in it.

It's like being a project manager and then trying to fix a plumbing job himself and screwing up instead of consulting or getting an actual licensed plumber who specializes in it to do it.
Old 2012-09-30, 00:46   Link #3510
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
I'm pretty sure you heard wrong

Ray Muyza was merely a producer. Producers are not involved in the development process.

Regardless, he is supposedly to blame for story direction

I think Ray Muzyka left simply because they were too many bitter and unpleasant fans.

Yes, pre-extended cut was clearly an unfinished product and fans have the right to address it.

but it was done in a very vitriolic way that leaves a bitter aftertaste.
In fact, the last time I checked the Bioware forums, it's still going on.
if that's the future of Bioware fandom then I can see why they would leave.
I'd much rather believe they disliked the direction things were going after getting into bed with EA rather than being unable to take the fan criticism for a poor ending. In the end the title biodude711 gave is rather misleading. There's no guarantee that's why they left and even the anonymous guy interviewed said it was only his guess. At least IGN was somewhat more reasonable and put "may" in front of the fan reaction stuff.

In the end only the guys leaving know why they left. Whether it was fan criticism or watching EA slowly ruin their games, it doesn't really matter. Though I suppose when both aren't looking good that really gives you little reason to stick around .

Don't really have a problem with how the responses to the ending came out. It was one of those things that can kill a franchise.
Old 2012-09-30, 12:55   Link #3511
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
I'm not comparing anyone to Nazis so stuff your Godwin's Law away.
I just wanted to pull your leg a little because you just had to use Hitler as an example, didn't you?
And I do admit, it is the one example that is understood the easiest.
Old 2012-10-04, 14:39   Link #3512
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-04, 14:55   Link #3513
Key Board
Carbon

Oh.. Harby..

I missed you so much
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-04, 16:33   Link #3514
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Unfortunately this trailer just reminds you how stupid it was that Harbinger was almost entirely absent from Mass Effect 3's story as a whole. Making him the focus of a multiplayer DLC really is the definition of too little too late.
Old 2012-10-05, 05:07   Link #3515
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Well, we get Collectors as enemies, along with TURIANS WITH JETPACKS OMGWTFBBQAOAWIFAEJFAEA-

*eyespin*

You know at this point, Bioware can make the MP its own F2P game and it would still sell like hotcakes, given how awesome they've been with it so far.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 09:17   Link #3516
KBTKaiser

man, think about hearing ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL if Harbinger strikes as much fear into people as a Banshee does.
KBTKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 15:38   Link #3517
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

He'll need lots of buffs. In ME2, all hearing that meant was "whelp, one widow headshot coming right up!"
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 16:24   Link #3518
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by biodude711 View Post

Wow, well I understand the makers want to try something new or out of the ordinary but the ending was a little............... well lets say not up to par with expectations (I put it as gentle as I can ). Sometimes going the cliche route isn't a bad choice time to time which here is a example. The thing for people like us who put a lot of effort in playing Mass Effect, we attach ourselves to the characters. Thus when something like killing the character arrives, it feels like all the work and effort in the character is like.........all for naught (gentle as I can put it as well).

I didn't expect them to leave EA, keep pushing to make good games and maybe the criticism will lighten up. Though looks like that isn't happening, well at least they made enough money to support them for the rest of their lives.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 16:37   Link #3519
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperxKingx View Post
Wow, well I understand the makers want to try something new or out of the ordinary but the ending was a little............... well lets say not up to par with expectations (I put it as gentle as I can ). Sometimes going the cliche route isn't a bad choice time to time which here is a example. The thing for people like us who put a lot of effort in playing Mass Effect, we attach ourselves to the characters. Thus when something like killing the character arrives, it feels like all the work and effort in the character is like.........all for naught (gentle as I can put it as well).
There was absolutely nothing ordinary or new out of what Casey tried to do.

I mean in the end you had three colored choices....hmmmm....Deus Ex Human revolution had an ending just like that. It didn't matter what choices you made, in the end it was irrelevant.

Then there was the part about AI's always going rouge....yeah we get a lot of that with Terminator and such....

The least they could've done was make the endings consistent with the choices the players made.
Old 2012-10-05, 17:43   Link #3520
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperxKingx View Post
There is a difference between trying to save the world only to die, and being told that the world would be exactly where it is in the end if Shepard never existed.

The Mass Effect world did not need Shepard. The ME3 ending proved that it was a waste of time for the Eden Prime incident to be investigated.

Tags
effect, games, mass