AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2010-09-29, 12:23   Link #181
Keriaku
Thought Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilika0 View Post
Alternative 2.
A joint project between Alchemist and Witch Hunt to release an English translation as DLC. The original game would still have to be purchased, this would hopefully not effect the voice contracts etc. Minimal effort involved from everyone (assuming the game engine was created in a sensible way) for maximum profit.
This option is really interesting! But it completely depends on Witch Hunt's willingness to pursue it.
Keriaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-29, 14:14   Link #182
Witch of Uncertainty

I'm not sure how well it would work out as DLC. I don't know about Sony, but MS has a 2gig limit on Arcade games, and if Sony has something similar... I think it's safe to say that The PS3 version takes more space than 2 gigs.. :/
Witch of Uncertainty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-29, 16:20   Link #183
catastrophe8
Self Proclaimed Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch of Uncertainty View Post
I'm not sure how well it would work out as DLC. I don't know about Sony, but MS has a 2gig limit on Arcade games, and if Sony has something similar... I think it's safe to say that The PS3 version takes more space than 2 gigs.. :/
I'm not sure if Sony PSN has a size limit as Records of Agarest War was 10GB (which sorta failed since people were complaining that it's too big since it ate away at a lot of people's HDD and Bandwith)
catastrophe8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-29, 16:32   Link #184
Witch of Uncertainty

Sounds promising, that it at least is possible..
Witch of Uncertainty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-29, 16:35   Link #185
~Ayane~

well, im against digital distribution, but if we were to only download english patch i would certainly buy it
~Ayane~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-29, 16:48   Link #186
ameskitty
Kupo

Just popping in to say that it's showed up on CDJapan, and right now they're having a 100% free shipping campaign for whatever method you want to use for all orders and pre-orders over 5000 yen and made using PayPal by October 4th. It's full price there, but with not having to pay shipping, this might be one of the cheaper ways to get it, especially if you've built up points at CDJapan . (only downside is that PayPal has a sucky exchange rate markup, but you'll get that at the marked-down AmiAmi too :P)

Here's the link: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview....EY=BLJM-60292#

Avatar adapted from Yoshitaka Amano art

"There is no such thing as a sexy George." - Rhiannon, Easy A
ameskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-30, 00:55   Link #187
luckyssol

I would really like to see a detailed map in an options window or something. That would be a cool feature.

We hardly get any maps for this game and the anime wasn't exactly reliable in that regard.
Old 2010-10-02, 02:50   Link #188
SonozakiUshiromiya
Reading your tale. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgodItsKanon View Post
I see that now they're vaguely showing the corpses upon discovery. Will they show how the characters died in the end like the VN?
Yeah. I'd like to know how they're going to do the character death TIPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baru View Post
As a dub fan, I think this would be awesome.

However, it should also have the option to switch to the Japanese track as well. Can't have enough Ohara as Beatrice
I agree. Since localizing=english VAs, anyone want to discuss any english VAs fitting for Umineko? Offical, fandubbers, whoever. I've seen enough crappy dubs to know better to rely on just offical VAs. My vote goes to LavenderLolita for Maria and Johnny Bosch for Kanon. I also think Megan Hollingshead would make a good Eva/EVAtrice if she sticks to her Viletta voice for Eva and Shion voice for EVAtrice.
Old 2010-10-02, 03:18   Link #189
KoiYuki

TBH, if LavenderLolita did Maria's official voice.. I'd be very unhappy. Poor emoting, voice isn't really fitting, and the uu's are just.. I won't go there. I do like her kihihi though.

I also would hope they don't dub over it at all, or at least have the Japanese option. And as long as Vic Mignogna stays the hell away, I'd be extremely happy regardless.

I really need to think on a good cast though.. Hm..
KoiYuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-03, 18:17   Link #190
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

IMO, Umineko is probably one of the hardest VNs/anime to cast an English dub for. It's hard to put into words, but it feels like I can't really think of equivalents for the seiyu to English- for instance, I have no idea who would make a good Battler. Some characters, like the adults, are probably easier to cast for, but for the younger characters and magical characters, I'm having a harder time picturing them.

All in all, if they do get some sort of English dub, I sure hope they learned their lesson from the Higurashi. I haven't seen much of the dub, but the stuff I have makes me cringe. I'll also see if I can think up a good cast, though my casting knowledge pretty much just extends to Bang Zoom dubs.
GundamAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-03, 18:58   Link #191
Mikachiru
test

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamAce View Post
IMO, Umineko is probably one of the hardest VNs/anime to cast an English dub for. It's hard to put into words, but it feels like I can't really think of equivalents for the seiyu to English- for instance, I have no idea who would make a good Battler. Some characters, like the adults, are probably easier to cast for, but for the younger characters and magical characters, I'm having a harder time picturing them.

All in all, if they do get some sort of English dub, I sure hope they learned their lesson from the Higurashi. I haven't seen much of the dub, but the stuff I have makes me cringe. I'll also see if I can think up a good cast, though my casting knowledge pretty much just extends to Bang Zoom dubs.
Spoiler for EP 5:

Michelle Ruff for Jessica.
Liam O'Brien for Bronove.
Spoiler for EP7:

Kate Higgins for Shannon? IDK, I don't really like Kate Higgins dued to Naruto and Code Geass... Cristina Valenzuela sounds more like Shannon...

DAN GREEN FOR BATTLER BLAAAAAH!!!

(Yeah, I know the one in spoiler tags aren't in Rondo, I'm just putting it out there)

BTW, I like the Higurashi dub. If Keiichi wasn't Axel the Dark Hero and Rena wasn't Rachel, I would of stopped watching Higurashi a long time ago.

Get at me.

Last edited by Mikachiru; 2010-10-03 at 19:02. Reason: Take it back, Michelle Ruff sounds better for Jessica.
Mikachiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-03, 19:00   Link #192
Qaenyin

Higurashi dub is proof enough that it's impossible to cast for children that go into schizophrenic fits of total insanity. There's no one in america who could voice Maria competently imo. Easier in japan if you ask me because most japanese women have higher pitched voices than american women, so they can pass off as children more easily(same reason why pre-pubescent male characters are often voiced by women).
Qaenyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-03, 19:00   Link #193
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikachiru View Post
BTW, I like the Higurashi dub. If Keiichi wasn't Axel the Dark Hero and Rena wasn't Rachel, I would of stopped watching Higurashi a long time ago.
Rachel, where did you get that popsicle from?
k//eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-03, 19:05   Link #194
Qaenyin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keriaku View Post
This option is really interesting! But it completely depends on Witch Hunt's willingness to pursue it.
Something more feasable would be something similar to how Fragile Dreams' localization was handled in europe:Release the translation itself as inexpensive or even free DLC, but the game has to be purchased(all the DLC would do is translate the game, it wouldn't BE the game). Basically a DLC translation patch.

Fragile Dreams did this in europe as I recall to handle the fact that they didn't/couldn't localize it for all the various european languages. They instead put up fan translation patches for download via the Wii's DLC and all the people had to do was buy the UK version and then download the patch for their preferred language.

Also as an addendum to my previous comment:I think all of the other characters in Umineko could have VAs found for them that would be able to do the job well. Heck I'd love to hear Crispin Freeman as Ronove or such. But I don't think any american voice actor could play Maria well.

Maybe Sherry Lynn? But that'd be pushing it. She did well as MOMO in Xenosaga I though.
Qaenyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-03, 19:14   Link #195
KoiYuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaenyin View Post
Higurashi dub is proof enough that it's impossible to cast for children that go into schizophrenic fits of total insanity. There's no one in america who could voice Maria competently imo. Easier in japan if you ask me because most japanese women have higher pitched voices than american women, so they can pass off as children more easily(same reason why pre-pubescent male characters are often voiced by women).
Well, English speakers are just as capable of pulling off voices like Maria & Kanon.. the problem is that a lot of dubbing companies tend to cast people who just don't fit the part (like in Nabari no Ou, they had a woman play the main guy, and.. he just sounds completely like a girl). There are people who can voice these characters perfectly in english too.. I'm just not sure who. Fandubbers are often good candidates too, though unlikely.
KoiYuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-03, 20:27   Link #196
SonozakiUshiromiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamAce View Post
The dub in general was bad. Shion and Mion's VA was probably the only good one. Satoko's VA is a joke, Rika's VA(I did like her as Nunnally) can't do her serious side at all, and Keiichi's VA just doesn't fit. Rena's VA can work the physcho angle, but her cute voice sounds overdone. And that was just the main cast. The one thing about the dub that pisses me off though is that they released it, retracted it, waited more than a year, and rereleased it without changing ANYTHING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoiYuki View Post
There are people who can voice these characters perfectly in english too..
And that's what upsets me when I watch most dubs. It's like FUNi and other companies pick whoever wants the role, regardless of talent.

Also: ATLUS(3 pages, WTF?!) NISA(112 pages) Facebook(200 members)

Last edited by SonozakiUshiromiya; 2010-10-03 at 20:51.
SonozakiUshiromiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-03, 20:38   Link #197
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonozakiUshiromiya View Post
The one thing about the dub that pisses me off though is that they released it, retracted it, waited more than a year, and rereleased it without changing ANYTHING!
That pisses you off? It couldn't be helped. The company that provided the English dub, Gonzo I beleive, failed after the dub was released. Then it was picked up by Funimation. They just barely saved it! There was no way they could've rereleased it with any changes because Funimation never did any of the dubbing. They were never in contact with any of the voice actors for that project. Why do you think they never released a dub of Kai when the anime sold so well?

To it's credit though I really liked the voices of Ooishi, Takano, and Tomitake. Kyle Hebert (the narrator to DBZ) is just a great voice actor and he does quite a few of the roles really well. The voice talents of Takano and Akasaka are also really good and they ended up getting roles as main characters in Monster later as Nina Fortner and Grimmer.
Judoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-03, 20:55   Link #198
SonozakiUshiromiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoh View Post
To it's credit though I really liked the voices of Ooishi, Takano, and Tomitake. Kyle Hebert (the narrator to DBZ) is just a great voice actor and he does quite a few of the roles really well. The voice talents of Takano and Akasaka are also really good and they ended up getting roles as main characters in Monster later as Nina Fortner and Grimmer.
Well, you've won this one. Isn't Akaaska voiced by John Burgmeier?
Old 2010-10-03, 21:03   Link #199
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonozakiUshiromiya View Post
Well, you've won this one. Isn't Akaaska voiced by John Burgmeier?
No, the voice actor's name is Patrick Seitz
Judoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-03, 22:38   Link #200
Mikachiru
test

Quote:
Originally Posted by k//eternal View Post
Rachel, where did you get that popsicle from?
...You win forever. Seriously.

I forgot all about Casey. XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoh View Post
No, the voice actor's name is Patrick Seitz
Hi Ragna.