Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-03-21, 02:09   Link #61
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

La Revolución!
Fight on, camaradas
Rise up, trabajadores

No, I don't like a dirty commie, but the reference is fun.
Old 2013-03-21, 03:02   Link #62
solidguy
I'm not a tumor

Loves me a tournament arc... Unrelated but I had a dream Eneru will be making a return I hope atleast someone makes a return in this tournament
Old 2013-03-21, 10:02   Link #63
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
And gets beaten by Luffy, whose still as immune to lightning xD
Old 2013-03-21, 13:08   Link #64
imza

I know this is a long shot but I think Sabo will make his reappearance here and take the fruit. I think it would only be fitting.
Old 2013-03-22, 02:04   Link #65
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
La Revolución!
Fight on, camaradas
Rise up, trabajadores

No, I don't like a dirty commie, but the reference is fun.

Hah hah, this is awesome. I totally would have loved to have this image as an avatar, but I'm satisfied enough with my Jojo one as it is.

And on the subject of the rebels: I wonder if these guys DO have some connection to Dragon? Either that, or they're just island residents who are rebelling against Kaidou (after all, it's kind of been implied that he isn't exactly the most benevolent of the emperors).....
Old 2013-03-22, 08:44   Link #66
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
LOL, when did this become a thing? It sounds like a cheesy 70's procedural.
Some people in the bar recognized him, but only after really getting a good look at his face. Clearly he's trying to blend in more with the townsfolk, and that makes his job of "assessing the situation" all the more easier. And judging by the reactions of those people that looked at his face, this guy is clearly no ordinary man (as also pointed out by the strawhats).
Old 2013-03-22, 13:23   Link #67
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Some people in the bar recognized him, but only after really getting a good look at his face. Clearly he's trying to blend in more with the townsfolk, and that makes his job of "assessing the situation" all the more easier. And judging by the reactions of those people that looked at his face, this guy is clearly no ordinary man (as also pointed out by the strawhats).
did the blind man seem to recognize who luffy was to? I thought the translation said "for your sake..."
Old 2013-03-22, 13:55   Link #68
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708 View Post
did the blind man seem to recognize who luffy was to? I thought the translation said "for your sake..."

Yeah, I think it's safe to say that he most likely did. Like I said earlier, if he's really the admiral then he would probably be most similar to Aokiji in the sense that he wouldn't take direct action against his enemies until he was more certain about what sort of threat they would pose to the world at large.....
Old 2013-03-22, 14:14   Link #69
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Observation Haki was definitely at work during that encounter. But the strawhats aren't the primary threat right now, rather it's Doflamingo and his operations. That's probably why he chose to leave them be for the time being and is now an observer at the coliseum.
Old 2013-03-22, 14:46   Link #70
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Yeah, I think it's safe to say that he most likely did. Like I said earlier, if he's really the admiral then he would probably be most similar to Aokiji in the sense that he wouldn't take direct action against his enemies until he was more certain about what sort of threat they would pose to the world at large.....
I don't understand how he could have recognized him, though. If he has been blind for longer than 2 years, then he shouldn't know what Luffy looks like, and even using observation Haki shouldn't help him unless he already knew what Luffy's Haki "looks" like. Rather, I suspect that the blind man simply knew that Luffy was powerful (much the same as Luffy knew the blind man was powerful), but not his exact identity.
Old 2013-03-22, 15:46   Link #71
marvelB

Quote:
I don't understand how he could have recognized him, though. If he has been blind for longer than 2 years, then he shouldn't know what Luffy looks like, and even using observation Haki shouldn't help him unless he already knew what Luffy's Haki "looks" like. Rather, I suspect that the blind man simply knew that Luffy was powerful (much the same as Luffy knew the blind man was powerful), but not his exact identity.

I'm pretty sure that observation haki was how he recognized him. One thing to remember is that CoO was implied to sense the presence of others in rather subtle ways, particular in that it can be used to hear the "voice" of other people (as we've seen in Skypiea). So my guess is that if the blind man heard Luffy's "voice", it might be recognizable to him (since the voice may "sound" similar to Garp's/Dragon's). At least, that's my take on it, anyway......
Old 2013-03-22, 16:47   Link #72
james0246

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that observation haki was how he recognized him. One thing to remember is that CoO was implied to sense the presence of others in rather subtle ways, particular in that it can be used to hear the "voice" of other people (as we've seen in Skypiea). So my guess is that if the blind man heard Luffy's "voice", it might be recognizable to him (since the voice may "sound" similar to Garp's/Dragon's). At least, that's my take on it, anyway......
I'm not disputing that the blind man can "see" Luffy in front of him. Rather, I am saying that he shouldn't know what Luffy looks like prior to meeting him (i.e. showing a blind man a piece of paper with a picture of Luffy is pointless, even if the blind man has extra-sensory abilities). It should be noted that he said that he did not know who Luffy is last chapter.Consequently, unless the blind man has met Luffy in the past, he really shouldn't know who he is (of course, the blind man could have met Luffy during the Marineford battle).

The idea that somehow Luffy's haki is similar to Dragon's or Garp's is interesting, but I do not know if I really like that answer (Haki should be autonomous in my opinion since it represents a person's individual will, though I do acknowledge that there could be some form of collectivism involved (e.g. the Will of D)).

My prediction: He works for DoFlamingo and helps to solve problems in Dressrosa. Problems like the troops we saw harassing visitors while they are trying to gamble (which is the scene we walked into last chapter).

Quote:
Some people in the bar recognized him, but only after really getting a good look at his face.
No one recognized him. Only the barkeep had any idea of his identity, and that is only because the blind man gave the barkeep an address to send the bill (which doesn't necessarily mean the blind man was recognized, the address could simply be something really big and important ala a marine headquarters or DoFlamingo's castle, etc).
Old 2013-03-22, 17:53   Link #73
marvelB

Quote:
The idea that somehow Luffy's haki is similar to Dragon's or Garp's is interesting, but I do not know if I really like that answer (Haki should be autonomous in my opinion since it represents a person's individual will, though I do acknowledge that there could be some form of collectivism involved (e.g. the Will of D)).

I dunno.... I think that a sort of hereditary haki "signature" would make a lot of sense, since it's..... you know, hereditary. Plus, those from the "D" bloodline may have a more unique "signature" than others, but that's just my opinion.

Still, putting the bloodline theory aside, I think the mere fact that Luffy possesses conqueror's haki would be enough to make him stand out from the rest (the amount of people who have that aren't exactly a dime a dozen, after all).
Old 2013-03-22, 18:20   Link #74
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

Quote:
but wasn't luffy in disguise?
Old 2013-03-22, 18:22   Link #75
james0246

Quote:
I dunno.... I think that a sort of hereditary haki "signature" would make a lot of sense, since it's..... you know, hereditary. Plus, those from the "D" bloodline may have a more unique "signature" than others, but that's just my opinion.
I don't like it simply because it makes individuals less special. Haki is a reflection of the person's will, so making Haki hereditary seems a bit too much like predestination (only the few and the elect ever have any chance of being great).

Quote:
Still, putting the bloodline theory aside, I think the mere fact that Luffy possesses conqueror's haki would be enough to make him stand out from the rest (the amount of people who have that aren't exactly a dime a dozen, after all).
I don't doubt that. Just as Luffy easily recognized that the blind man as strong, so to did the blind man recognize Luffy's strength.
Old 2013-03-22, 18:56   Link #76
marvelB

Quote:
I don't like it simply because it makes individuals less special. Haki is a reflection of the person's will, so making Haki hereditary seems a bit too much like predestination (only the few and the elect ever have any chance of being great).

Ah, I think I see where the misunderstanding here lies. See, just because I say haki "signatures" could be hereditary doesn't mean that it couldn't still be individualized. Personally, I'm not a fan of how some series like Naruto handle bloodline powers, either (which is usually an excuse to make characters as hax as possible). I mean, if the connection between blood and destiny really WERE that big of a deal, then wouldn't both Luffy and Dragon have already been marines instead of the world's most infamous criminals?

That being said, unless Luffy suddenly reveals that he can use wacky illusion powers with CoC, I otherwise see no way how bloodline undermines haki users in general.

Quote:

Sure, on the outside. But can one truly disguise who they are from within?
Old 2013-03-22, 23:57   Link #77
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Right, because obviously, visual disguise is so effective on a blind jedi.
Old 2013-03-23, 10:01   Link #78
Blackbeard D. Kuma

James may be right in that the old man doesn't know exactly who Luffy is. It could very well have been that they simply recognized each other as exceptional individuals. Kind of like how when we were first introduced to Rayleigh, the giant beside him "sensed" that he was the one who knocked out Disco with CoC.
Old 2013-03-25, 01:29   Link #79
Undertaker

Quote:

But didn't we already seen some of this happening with Shirahoshi/Otohime. Granted, it wasn't specifically stated as hereditary but only mermaid princesses are capable being Neptune and Neptune is basically an extreme version of CoO haki. Not to mention that wHile Otohime is not Neptune she does possess a ridiculous CoO as well.

While I don't think bloodline is the only key, I do think it that it somewhat plays a role on the level of haki at your disposal without training.

Quote:
James may be right in that the old man doesn't know exactly who Luffy is. It could very well have been that they simply recognized each other as exceptional individuals. Kind of like how when we were first introduced to Rayleigh, the giant beside him "sensed" that he was the one who knocked out Disco with CoC.
But then his line won't be making much sense then. There is really no need avoid names if the Zatochi guy was merely noticing Luffy's strength.

That line is at least insinuating that if they offer up their name then Zatochi guy will have no choice but to confront Luffy.

It's almost like Aoikiji first met SH before he change his mind and stressing he was just on a walk and nothing else.
Old 2013-03-25, 09:11   Link #80
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
But didn't we already seen some of this happening with Shirahoshi/Otohime. Granted, it wasn't specifically stated as hereditary but only mermaid princesses are capable being Neptune and Neptune is basically an extreme version of CoO haki. Not to mention that wHile Otohime is not Neptune she does possess a ridiculous CoO as well.
I never thought of Poseidon as being Haki. It seemed to be a purely biological weapon designed to control the Sea Kings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
But then his line won't be making much sense then. There is really no need avoid names if the Zatochi guy was merely noticing Luffy's strength.
Who said he was "merely" noticing his strength? Blind guy might be someone that would have to fight Luffy if he revealed himself, but simply because they would have to fight doesn't mean blind guy works for the marines. He could work for a rival pirate group maybe even DoFlamingo. By not revealing his name he may prevent a fight. Then again, it could be that he has history with the Monkey family, or he could have history with Roger and revealing his name would cause chaos (similar to Rayleigh revealing himself).

Simply because he did not reveal his name does not mean that he is a Marine (though that is a strong possibility), nor does it mean he would have to fight Luffy.

Last edited by james0246; 2013-03-25 at 11:55.
Closed Thread