Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2012-04-18, 09:51   Link #21
DuoRanger
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post
I wonder why doesn't Nonou recognize Kabuto... maybe that person is really a different person??
Brainwashing
DuoRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-18, 09:56   Link #22
Midnight Commander

I really enjoyed this chapter, it was nice to see certain old prominent faces that really shaped this manga from the beginning. The scene with Danzou sitting and his root ninja at his side was very badass. Orochimaru's demenor was as sinister as ever, and I guess we know his "threat" to take the orphan's children wasn't just a threat --he'll glady be taking them regardless. Orochimaru's entrance from the water was actually pretty brilliant: It shows Kabuto's face as he has trouble with his identity, and slowly his face's reflection starts exhibiting Oro's features starting with the eyes; pretty symbolic. It will be quite nice to see that scene animated, with some appropriate music. I also think Orochimaru being in root is interesting, because he doesn't seem to be emotionless like the others, just heartless. I wonder if root conditioning is partly why he is so ruthless, that is, if they even had to bother to nulify his emotions?

Looking at Danzou's conversation with Nonou, it seems as if he has just used genjitsu on her by the way he seems to have clutched his eye --and her sudden acceptance of their proposal. Perhaps it took alot out of him early on, as he probably wasn't as used to it back then; in the summit it he was perfectly composed.
Midnight Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-18, 10:44   Link #23
SeanQ

More Orochi hardcore pedo ~ 5 yr long wait for his boy.
Old 2012-04-18, 10:50   Link #24
Lendial

im trying hard to care about kabuto but i just cant muster the ducks to do it.
Old 2012-04-18, 11:40   Link #25
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lendial View Post
Same here, this back story has it's interesting points and all but still doesn't make me care for Kabuto and his life story.
Oro is probably the only good thing thing here atm but even then I couldn't really care unless the old chap actually comes back to the main plot to cause destruction and chaos.

Back to the war please!
Old 2012-04-18, 11:42   Link #26
octaviahawk
Wingedmercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
Orochimaru continues to be a creep beyond the grave.
LMAO, true, true. It was really great to see old unfriendly faces: Oro, Danzo, looking bad ass as ever. Is it just me, or is a young Danzo totally...like...hot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasd View Post
How nice of Oro to manipulate Kabuto into joining root. Oro always get what he wants, excluding Uchihas
And thus, the love story between Kabuto and Orochimaru begins

Quote:
Here, I'll lend you some of my ducks *quack quack quack*

All in all, a surprisingly good chapter! Thank the gods.
Old 2012-04-18, 12:04   Link #27
Methuselah
Payback is a b*t#8, huh?

Why?! Why is Kishi-baka trying to justify every single antagonist in the story?! They are monsters! MONSTERS!

Orochimaru would kidnap men, women, children, and dissect and experiment on them!

Danzo assassinates others, inspire revolt in other nations, sockets Uchiha eyes into his arm, tries to take over Kohana.

Kabuto is no better. After Garaa's arc, it is shown that Kabuto regularly collects bodies of children ranging from 8 to 16 year olds and seal them in his scroll. Hell even Orochimaru broke a sweat listening to Kabuto's "anxiety" for not having a 13 year old boy!

WHAT MAKES YOU THINK I CARE ABOUT ANY OF THESE FUCKS. STOP WASTING CHAPTERS! :O I'm starting to feel like Kishi-baka is running out of ideas and is stalling.
Methuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-18, 12:42   Link #28
Ero-Senn1n

Orochimaru was already banished from Konoha by the 3rd or not? If Kabuto is now about 20 years old (does the data book tell his age?), then this all had to happen about 15 years before now, which is around the time of the death of the 4th hokage, which means this had to be after Orochimaru had to run away. Which means that Orochimaru had free access to Konoha's resources through Danzou, in exchange he helped Danzou to become stronger. I guess at this time Orochi already implanted the 1st hokage's cells into Danzou, but in this chapter it really seemed like the Uchiha eyes were not yet implanted. We see no metal cover on him, which is needed to conceal the eyes from sensing ninja like byakugan users. So i guess this was probably just before the kyuubi attack and the Uchiha massacre, where its most likely that Danzou obtained all the eyes which Orochi will soon implant into his arm. I wonder if he had already Shisui's eye under the bandage, if so then he could also easily control the spy woman or Kabuto. For example Orochi asked Danzou to do him a favor and make Kabuto join them, because when he healed Orochimaru he realized how talented Kabuto is, so Orochi wanted him for his experiments.

The only thing that doesn't yet fit into this story is Sasori, how did he get a hold of Kabuto, maybe he did so when Sasori was paired with Orochi because he had disagreements with Orochi.
Ero-Senn1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-18, 14:00   Link #29
haegar
mangaviking

I'll admit that at the very least instead of just retconning a one chapter background in and the killing Kabuto, Kishi is taking his time with this one and the flashback of Kabuto's past at least is handled in earnest.

However, I still stand by my not likeing the background that he is given, AT ALL.

So lemme flashback, too: At first I was annoyed with Kabuto for getting more and more screentime and power over the course of the war. The whole Edo-Tensei business had this whiff of asspull... And then later it seemed only a matter of time till either Itachi or Sasuske show up to end him.

And there Kishi suprised us nicely by staying coherent with Kabuto's powergain, he pitted both Itachi and Sasuske against him and yet he seems a decent match. And I rly like how he explained that enormous powerup via Snakesage, that was good in many a ways: Naruto's sage mode is less exceptional, but still is a cool thing. The very notion that a "sage" doesn't have to be inherently good, but that there can also be somebody using natural energy at so high a level precisley for being a sage of evil I thought was great.

And I felt that Kabuto's character as I read him mixed well with that: Whatever psychfuck had happened to him in the past under Oro or Sasori, he had passed through and left behind his state of emotional trauma and trying to emulate Oro's greatness and instead decided to pursue his own, surpassing his former mentor. And being the snake sage fits that so nicely. He had discarded emotion for power completely, or so it seemed, to become the cold calculating snake. And that would have added to the manga imho as one of the main villains not having the villain face cause he had a hard childhood but rather because after a troubled live, he conciously threw all that human shit away and married power itself instead in the guise of the path of the evil sage.

Like that, I was willing to accept him as a potential wench in the plans of either of the other main players. Like that he could have moved on to seriously interfere with the Kages, with Naruto, with Sasuske and even with Madara himself ... because like that he would ahve shown a dedication to raw power itself like few others.

But no, in the end a point has to be made that there is no such thing as the conscious choice to be evil - people only ever get fucked over by life which in turn makes them sad, then empty, and then ultimately evil. So basically he's turning into Sasuske 2.0 after a promising start as the opposing sage.

And that's why I don't like it one bit even if for once Kishi invests some time and tries hard to make it compelling. Tries so hards he has to make Danzo and Oro additional sources of Kabuto's pains ... and it's nice to see Oro being an ass but a brilliant one back then in root, but does it all have to lead back to him??? I thought Kabuto had emancipated himself from Oro but instead it seems it all leads back to him and keeps on doing so

As for those who say this is not a real flashback, it's just Itachi messing with his mind via Izahax, all good and well on a plot internal level, maybe that is the case... but ultimately it is Kishi who decides what Itachi makes Kabuto remember or see, so...same issue still.... He could have warped Kabuto's reality in all kinds of different ways.

Now maybe I am wrong and Kishi is doing all this precisley because kabuto will NOT die, and as a latecomer to the main antagonists needs more story. and maybe that will still work out as things progress, after all I dunno where he will go with this in the next three chaps...

But what I really fear now is that he gets the emo flashback before dying as is cannon, and that doesn't get any better just cause he takes the time to put some thought into the flashback and stretch it out a couple of chaps longer than one normally would expect.
Old 2012-04-18, 14:05   Link #30
christinemarie
Crazy One

This chapter seems tells me, why do I have a bad feeling that Orochimaru would return except he only have memories of Kabuto?

Spoiler for possible sequence:
christinemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-18, 14:43   Link #31
Rahan

We know this isn't how it happened. Oro thanked Sasori (well Yamato under disguise) for sending Kabuto to him since Kabuto's talents proved useful to him, so we are supposed to care why ? We know for a fact Oro isn't the one who found Kabuto.

If Kishi doesn't care enough about Kabuto to check the background he already gave him to avoid contradictions, why should I care ?

This isn't Mangetsu (the guy who wanted to become a swordmsan, before we learn that he was already a swordmsan who even had mastered all the swords), this is one of the last major antagonists we have FFS ! Kishi could at least make it like he is putting some effort in his writing.

Last edited by Rahan; 2012-04-18 at 14:54.
Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-18, 14:52   Link #32
Ulquiorra
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ulquiorra Send a message via AIM to Ulquiorra Send a message via Yahoo to Ulquiorra
So is Danzou the true villain of this manga? Kishimoto's allegory against nationalism and doing evil things in the name of the greater good?

Quote:
Well Kishi is going to kill him off so he has to get you to care about him before he does. Kishi loves to milk the pathos. He wants you to feel something for Kabuto when the end comes.
Ulquiorra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-18, 14:56   Link #33
Rahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulquiorra View Post
So is Danzou the true villain of this manga? Kishimoto's allegory against nationalism and doing evil things in the name of the greater good?
Considering Kishi made Itachi an hero whose only wrong was how he treated his brother, you couldn't be more wrong.

This is Naruto. The good guys are the ones who look cool. The bad guys are the ones who look ugly and turn into monsters. If one ugly guy teams up with a cool guy to slaughter a clan, the ugly guy is evil and the cool guy is a hero.
Old 2012-04-18, 16:07   Link #34
Ulquiorra
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ulquiorra Send a message via AIM to Ulquiorra Send a message via Yahoo to Ulquiorra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post

This is Naruto. The good guys are the ones who look cool. The bad guys are the ones who look ugly and turn into monsters. If one ugly guy teams up with a cool guy to slaughter a clan, the ugly guy is evil and the cool guy is a hero.
Doesn't work with Kakuzu and Hidan. Hidan was the good looking cool guy, but a complete evil bastard. Kakuzu was the ugly monster, but had the tragic back-story about being sold out by his village.
Ulquiorra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-18, 16:39   Link #35
Hunter
Bubbly and super fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post
If Kishi doesn't care enough about Kabuto to check the background he already gave him to avoid contradictions, why should I care ?
For all we know Sasori is the one who erased Kabuto's memory and sent him there in the first place, you are being way too hasty to call for contradictions.
Quote:
This isn't Mangetsu (the guy who wanted to become a swordmsan, before we learn that he was already a swordmsan who even had mastered all the swords), this is one of the last major antagonists we have FFS ! Kishi could at least make it like he is putting some effort in his writing.
You counfound Mangetsu and Suigetsu.

Anyways the flashback in itself isn't so bad (last week was pointless though), it's just a problem of timing. It should have happened during part 1 to introduce Danzou or at the beginning of part2 during the 2nd arc. Now it seems hardly relevant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulquiorra View Post
Doesn't work with Kakuzu and Hidan. Hidan was the good looking cool guy, but a complete evil bastard. Kakuzu was the ugly monster, but had the tragic back-story about being sold out by his village.
The 3rd Databook also had an entry about Hidan's past and how he was twisted by the constant warfare into becoming a battle-crazed sociopath who couldn't function in time of peace and thus fell prey to the Jashin sect's teachings of continuous murder. The true vilain of the story is the ninja-system, all the bad guys of this story were crushed and twisted between its hinges.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-18, 16:43   Link #36
Mists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
For all we know Sasori is the one who erased Kabuto's memory and sent him there in the first place, you are being way too hasty to call for contradictions.

Anyways the flashback in itself isn't so bad (last week was pointless though), it's just a problem of timing. It should have happened during part 1 to introduce Danzou or at the beginning of part2 during the 2nd arc. Now it seems hardly relevant.
Yeah, I can't feel the reason to care for Kabuto either. And the problem is...I think there's at least 1 more chapter of the flashback. Maybe at the end Itachi says 'prepare for Izanami'. It's hard to swallow this considering all the epic fights happening.

It's also quite contradictory to the man who had nothing happen to have his mom, and Oro...

It was Bone Marrow Guy who Oro found as a boy next to the tree, right? Hopefully I'm not thinking of Haku and Zabuza...ahh the good ol' days.
Mists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-18, 16:59   Link #37
Blaat

To quote the ever awesome Batman (admittedly it was the first boy wonder as Batman, but that doesn't make it any less awesome)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman
Backstory. Not interested.
Old 2012-04-18, 16:59   Link #38
Rahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
I thought about it, but this would solve Kabuto's identity crisis (he would always have had the option to get his identity back from Sasori, even in the case he couldn't get his memories), so this not going to happen, this would go exactly against the point of the flashback. Not even I think Kishi is bad enough to write this. Although it could still happen with Izanami, whose point would be to change bad writingfate.

Plus do you really see Sasori brainwashing kids so that they can spy on Orochimaru 8 frigging years later ? If Oro didn't get hurt near that orphanage 3 years after the brainwashing, he would have never noticed Kabuto. This is completely implausible.

Quote:
Nah, last we knew, they were both training under the swordsmen with the intention of becoming a swordsman, yet for some reason, Edo Mangetsu was a swordsman who mastered all the swords. Not that I care, he wasn't even graced with a 2 panels fight.
Old 2012-04-18, 17:11   Link #39
Shiryuu
Magical Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanQ View Post
More Orochi hardcore pedo ~ 5 yr long wait for his boy.
I thought younger was better?
Shiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-18, 17:12   Link #40
james0246

I'm still unsure of Kabuto's history. Was he a Konoha intelligence officer before or after the Battle of Kikyō Pass (where he was found by Konoha-nin)? And did Sasori get Kabuto when he was young (this chapter clearly shows Kabuto working in Suna) or sometime later? Hopefully next chapter will fill in the timeline a bit better.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekly spoiler discussion