AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-08-04, 18:35   Link #81
styr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divini View Post
ep. 5

I'm actually glad they didn't bring out Heathcliff. The stuff he says would make any first-time viewer go wild with speculation.

Plus I think it's better story-wise to keep his debut to when they meet him in the guild HQ.
I want to see the noodle scene with him though! They must have been some bad noodles if even Heathcliff didn't like it. What was the phrase Asuna said about Heathcliff and the noodles? "That was Tokyo-style ramen.. served without soy sauce."

Apparently, Tokyo-style ramen without soy sauce is considered blasphemy in SAO/Japan.

I was really disappointed they didn't put in the duel. They animated half of ME1 before the OP but totally left out the last half! I guess they want to totally surprise people with dual blades and don't want to give any hints prior? I believe ep8 is the current speculated one where the reveal will take place, being the 74th boss fight with Kirito, Asuna, Klein's group, and those Army goons.
styr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-05, 02:52   Link #82
Clarste
Human

So did anyone else notice that they actually removed the clue to solve the mystery? Kirito was supposed to take his glove off so it wouldn't get damage by his test. Without the clue that "armor can be damaged" how is anyone supposed to solve it?
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-05, 04:14   Link #83
styr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
So did anyone else notice that they actually removed the clue to solve the mystery? Kirito was supposed to take his glove off so it wouldn't get damage by his test. Without the clue that "armor can be damaged" how is anyone supposed to solve it?
It was more important to show a shot of Asuna bending over the table, obviously. Who needs story resolution when you've got fanservice?

I posted this in the episode 5 discussion thread but thought this would be interesting as well. I wanted to take a closer look at Egil's appraisal screen to see if i could gleam any information about weapon stats from SAO menus. Here's the picture for reference. Happens during 13:45-13:54 in Ep5, if you want to see. The quality is a bit rough because of how much I had to zoom in. Here's the same picture zoomed out a bit to show that quality is still poor. Both pics are supposedly 1080p quality..

Here's what I've deciphered so far, if anyone can spot something I haven't please chip in. Anything in (parenthesis) means I am unsure about what it is. ? means I have no clue..

Code:
                     Appraisal

Guilty Thorn
        Short Spear / One hand
Range: Middle               Type: Pierce
Attack: 180-225             Durability: (410, 460?)

Weight: 65                    (Sharpness???): 32
Equip (+?)7                    Night (Saving, Slashing, ??)

Made by (Grimrock, blocked out by menu button)
Loved the gratuitous English they used as well.

Last edited by styr; 2012-08-06 at 07:48. Reason: modified appraisal info
styr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-05, 07:15   Link #84
sky black swordman

^ You have a point on the Fanservice.
Old 2012-08-05, 11:10   Link #85
Awrya
U mad?

Just reread A Murder, Heathcliff said that falling from a high location might be a disturbing experience, I have to give props to Yoruko, looked like she fell down head first
Old 2012-08-07, 07:56   Link #86
BladeEntity
Anything's Possible
*Author

I was so disappointed, first time since the first few eps. Mainly cause, I did not get to see Asuna in her Ashley clothes and the exchange about her clothes... My only complaint.
Old 2012-08-07, 09:50   Link #87
Znail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
The anime introduced another clue instead though, that the particle effect was different compared with when someone died before.
Znail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-08, 14:48   Link #88
trinitem
Dedicated Lurker

Ah, what a busy week... Anywho...

Episode 5 Comparison:
This episode jumped all over the place, but it did well on my favorite scene.

SAO Animation's episode 5 starts with a passage from The Progressors, a material edition doujin created by Reki not published in dengeki. Differences were vast in what was shown to anime viewers.

The Progressors story is something that would normally probably fit into an entire episode. Kirito and Klein prior to that strategy meeting had been pulling some schemes to try defeating the field boss monster mentioned in the meeting. Asuna's reappearance as a clearing demon happened as shown. But wait, there's more!

She wasn't satisfied with talking Kirito down in the boss meeting. Initially there was some more dialogue about the way that they play the game, and eventually Asuna challenges Kirito to a d.d.d.d.d.duel (sorry, had to make that reference)! Unfortunately, the duel reveals too many important devices, so I'll just say that Kirito won.

In the aftermath of the duel, Asuna is kind of displeased having lost to Kirito. She then finds the secret weakness of the field boss. A little npc girl's song held the answer. Everyone learned a lesson, and I'm going back to episode 5.

Egil and Kirito's conversation about Asuna joining the top guild was linker material for the Aria and the Sideless Original and the later part of SAO's "real" story.

Yess...... The nap............ The glorious nap........

Apparently they have all sorts of parameters for weather that balance each other out. Kirito was more specific about what good weather was in the novel. Bugs, sun, moisture, wind, dust, etc can all be bad. Much can go wrong in an Aincrad day. This day was different

The nature of Kirito and Asuna's conversation went about the same. "Why aren't you clearing?" "Well, it would be a waste in this weather." "Try a nap.". There's something about the Kirito imagining the exchanges having gone in archaic English, but I'm not really sure since it's all translation.

She wakes up angry and grateful as usual. What a glorious waking face haha. This is where I miss Kirito's thoughts though. It's more natural from his perspective. The whole pking business was explained by his thoughts rather than through the forced dialogue at the restaurant that you would think Asuna would know about.

They have a fun walk to the restaurant with the same stares that they get inside. What they talk about inside the restaurant was more insightful. Asuna hadn't been able to sleep much since the game started. She would usually do about 3 hours and a nightmare, but 8 hours of nap earlier had refreshed her. A cheery change of conversation from their usual arguing also included what was missing from ordered salad. The answer? Soy sauce.

Before they even got their salad in the anime though, Yoruko's screams pierce the streets. See and try to help Kain. Interrogate the crowd. Anger over the mention of Asuna having taken a nap as well was something new. The other differences were minor details, so I'll move on.

We lost some transition ground along the way to the animation. On their way to Egil's shop, Asuna ventures around excitedly buying food from side stalls. The entrance to Egil's shop scene kind of scares me. The scene that was put in place of the novel's Egil closing shop for the day is supposed to lead into a much better scene later on. What was shown is the spearman getting ripped off selling lizard hides. Egil also wasn't just freaked out by Asuna being there. He went through more trouble of being a good host serving tea and all "because" she was there.

Divergence is rising. Inspection goes as shown. Kirito doesn't try to stab himself "yet". They go to the monument mentioned a few times that logs all the players and their alive/dead status. Kains is indeed dead, and Grimlock is alive. The three part with a fun joke about Kirito offering to watch over Asuna sleep if she needs some good rest.

Schmitt actually goes out of his way to find Kirito with the murder rumor about. Schmitt is a total prick as is explained with the mentality of the Divine Dragon Alliance that he is a member of. They're characterized as an elitist guild obsessed with being strongest in the game. Kirito turned them down twice. Schmitt's kind of paranoid about the murder incident though. He demands the spear that they actually didn't give to Egil, and he gets it.

They meet up tomorrow at breakfast, and Asuna is actually dressed up. Pink, black, and grey were apparently the colors. Kirito was afraid to compliment her outfit at first in fear of a violent reaction, so he refrained.

On the way to meet Yoruko, they test out the dot damage from impaling. Asuna lets him do it on the condition that they're partied so she can monitor his hp. Stab. Damage stop to Kirito's hp when he steps in the safe zone though. The mystery continues

They visit Yoruko next. Yoruko is stunned by Asuna's clothes from Ashley, the famed tailor with maxed sewing skill. Kirito doesn't know about the famous tailor, but he's impressed none the less. Yoruko finally explains the Golden Apple situation. Kirito finally complements Asuna's clothes and she changes back into her normal knight attire in rage at his delay.

Our ace detectives continue the investigation. What's the next course of action? Find out how Kains was murdered. Eh.... I know this is a spoilers thread and all, but I do try to refrain from introducing important characters.

They couldn't find any leads on how Kains was murdered, so they decide to investigate Schmitt with the new situation info from Yoruko. So a trip to the Divine Dragons Alliance base is in order.

Schmitt has some info on Grimlock's possible location, but he is only willing to exchange it for a meeting with Yoruko. Were finally back to the anime, and I kind of skipped 2 scenes. *Whew*...

A pleasant meeting ensues with Yoruko and Schmitt under some restricted conditions by Asuna and Kirito. Well, goodbye Yoruko. You'll be missed next week.

My Afternotes:
In the novel, a smoother transition of Asuna from stiff sub leader to a more laid-back personality is more apparent. This is one of the stories I'd most highly recommend reading in full. The animators did well with this episode for what was included.

Finally done.....
trinitem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 04:11   Link #89
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

They cut off so many things (some minor, some minor major, one major major), but still good overall JUST because it's animated. And oh Asuna's expressions at dat nap...was pure win.

Well, at least, they could be off explaining the <<Black Iron Castle>> now. -_-
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 04:58   Link #90
sky black swordman

^ My pure win moment was the Kirito try to find a way to address Asuna.
Old 2012-08-09, 05:17   Link #91
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky black swordman View Post
^ My pure win moment was the Kirito try to find a way to address Asuna.
Anything with Asuna should be a win imo.
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-11, 18:08   Link #92
Awrya
U mad?

Episode 6, they completely cut out Heathcliff and I just noticed they axed the different name spelling as well, they didn't visit the stone monument to check Kains in episode 5, so they didn't found out he was spelled Caynz.

PoH's voice didn't really convince me, just sounded too average to come off as the charismatic, soothing voice described in the novel. Johnny Black was good, XaXa didn't talk, wonder if they save his voice for GGO arc in a second season?

Grimlock just admitted everything, at least argue back a bit, shame on you.
Old 2012-08-11, 19:48   Link #93
RegalStar
Mishaguji-sama

Overall mostly nothing was skipped that'd added significantly to the scene. Well, except maybe explaining why Griselda would not wear the ring for herself, although that's kind of minor.
RegalStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 00:01   Link #94
Divini
Senpai!

I did wish they kept Grimlock's near perfect alibi. It not only described the technicalities of the murder more, but Yoruko's counter-argument would've been a far better catalyst to Grimlock admitting everything, rather than how Kirito just says one line...
Divini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 00:40   Link #95
sky black swordman

I wish they did not cut out that little conversation between Kirito and PoH.
Old 2012-08-12, 01:36   Link #96
Znail

Well, I am fine with it. It's just something we have to accept that the anime is more of a fantasy story where you have to take things on faith even if they aren't explained in detail. The novel is on the other hand a hardcore sci-fi story where mechanics of what is going on is explained in detail. So a bit different genre, but at least they are consequent with how the anime deals with info.
Znail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 06:18   Link #97
Clarste
Human

Agreed on PoH's voice and dialog (not nearly enough of a smooth talker), but I don't really think Grimlock's alibi was ever important. Honestly, that felt more like the author trying to make sure it was a real "detective story" even when it seemed a bit out of place. And then he added a ghost for good measure. That short story was all over the place, and cutting it down was probably a good thing. Same with Heathcliff.

That said, the way Grimlock instantly collapsed when Asuna said something was incredibly stupid.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 07:13   Link #98
sky black swordman

^On the voices One Ryota OHSAKA and the other was Tsuyoshi KOYAMA who did PoH I think.

Agreed it was.
Old 2012-08-12, 19:11   Link #99
chaos_alfa

I actually don't like the way they are handling the side stories. By showing them before the main story of volume one it hints too much to things to come.

Like for example the current episode.
Spoiler for Something which is going to happen in the main story:

Last edited by chaos_alfa; 2012-08-13 at 07:50.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 19:14   Link #100
Ray
Garnet

Spoilers
Spoiler for Something which is going to happen later in the main story/reply
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote