AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-14, 10:31   Link #121
Meophist

Niagra, huh? Been there before, pretty nice. Heard the Canadian side is better, but I haven't seen the American side to compare.

In any case, I don't know too much about the anime market there. The big stores here in Toronto(Best Buy, Future Shop, etc.) doesn't have too bad of a selection, and you're pretty much guarenteed no bootlegs, but specialty stores' selection is much better. However, they can be pretty hard to find. I don't know how prices compare, but they're not exactly cheap here.
Old 2007-05-14, 13:30   Link #122
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizro345 View Post
I know it's quite uncommon as opinion but, given the records of US releases for quality (not referring to adaptation or translation, just on how DVDs are done), I'll probably stick with R2 JP DVDs (which I'm ordering as soon as a firm release date is set). Most R1 anime DVDs (save "famous series", and I don't expect Nanoha to be one) are - in my opinion - no more than a "VHS copy", meaning they offer too low for their price (even the - again save for very popular titles - so-called "limited editions"). Maybe I'm spoiled a bit, but the EU R2 Italian anime DVDs, while scarce, offer much more than the typical R1 release.
Well, not to take this further off-topic, but as someone who buys plenty of both (R1 and JP R2), I'd pretty much have to disagree there. The quality of R2 JP DVDs are nice, but at two-to-four-times the price for a series, you'd hope it'd be. Even the R1 DVDs I have for "non-famous series" typically have a pretty good array of extras and nice packaging, often pretty close to what's available on the R2s. So I'm not sure which R1 and JP R2 series you've tried, but my overall experience is a bit different, I guess. It also depends on what company you're talking about in both cases.

Anyway, for this show, though, I've already been collecting the R2s since I wasn't sure if this show would ever get licensed. And, incidentally, the DVDs for StrikerS already have firm release dates (the first 8 are already up for pre-order on Amazon).

Also, the company you all were thinking of earlier (releasing Galaxy Angel Rune) is Bandai Visual, not Bandai. They're actually two completely different groups in the U.S., strangely enough. The regular Bandai normally does dubs, and are typically cheaper.
Old 2007-05-15, 05:56   Link #123
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug23 View Post
The board is set, the pieces are moving.

From Anime News Service:
At TIFFCOM, 2006 a Toei representative told ANS that seperate spaced releases were being planned for their latest magical girl anime franchises Pretty Cure and Maho Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha.

It sure won't air in Canada, though.
this could be true, as there is an article stating that Toei is trying to establish an In-house licensing company in the US.

http://news.awn.com/index.php?ltype=...sitem_no=19787
Old 2007-05-30, 09:29   Link #124
Shounen
Away for good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Bootlegs? I'm not familiar with that term... what are bootlegs?

This is an bootleg

And once again, I apologize for mixing up Dutch with German. Cuz I don't say Germany, I say Deutschland... YGRSFS...

I also have a question for those living in the US or Canada..

Doesn't you guys import R2's? I mean.. why import from another country, when you have stores that takes care of that?
Old 2007-06-30, 12:49   Link #125
relentlessflame

*Administrator

As per AnimeOnDVD and ANN, Geneon's finally announced the license for the first two seasons of Nanoha. StrikerS isn't licensed yet, though, before people ask.
Old 2007-06-30, 12:52   Link #126
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Finally! About time they brought these jewels to the bigger audience!

Now for ETA's.
Old 2007-06-30, 12:53   Link #127
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Let's all pray this doesn't get an Odex dub!
Old 2007-06-30, 12:54   Link #128
Mirificus

That's great news. It had looked like Geneon had just acquired the website for that "guess what we licensed" contest they were doing.

Last edited by Mirificus; 2007-06-30 at 13:09.
Old 2007-06-30, 12:58   Link #129
guess

Great news indeed. I can't imagine how wonderful the visual quality is going to be on DVD for all those fighting scences.

I can't wait for the dub.
Old 2007-06-30, 13:05   Link #130
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
Let's all pray this doesn't get an Odex dub!
Curse ODEX! Flog the heretical demons! Boycott the minions of Chaos that have no respect for privacy!

DOWN WITH ODEX! POWER TO THE FREE PEOPLE OF S'PORE!!!
Old 2007-06-30, 13:25   Link #131
Meophist

Geneon was good, right?
Old 2007-06-30, 13:51   Link #132
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
Geneon was good, right?
They generally put out good product, if that's what you mean.

The only thing that people are commenting on here is that one of their recent releases (Karin) had a dub produced in Singapore by a company called Odex that isn't known for doing very good work. So that's why people are saying "please, not Odex". Other than that (and/or, if you're not into dubs), there's nothing much to complain about. So yeah, they're "good".
Old 2007-06-30, 13:57   Link #133
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
not to mention some other controversies as well

great news time to start saving up...(and to hell with dubs they all FAIL!)

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-06-30, 14:13   Link #134
Meophist

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post

The only thing that people are commenting on here is that one of their recent releases (Karin) had a dub produced in Singapore by a company called Odex that isn't known for doing very good work. So that's why people are saying "please, not Odex". Other than that (and/or, if you're not into dubs), there's nothing much to complain about. So yeah, they're "good".
Ahh. Generally, the anime I watch either gets some bad dubs or no dub at all, so I'm not too knowledgable in that area. I just remember hearing that Geneon is good, but their releases are often expensive. At least, my friend wouldn't stop complaining about Mao-chan's price.
Old 2007-06-30, 15:45   Link #135
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
Ahh. Generally, the anime I watch either gets some bad dubs or no dub at all, so I'm not too knowledgable in that area. I just remember hearing that Geneon is good, but their releases are often expensive. At least, my friend wouldn't stop complaining about Mao-chan's price.
I haven't noticed geneon being more expensive than other companies. Though it seems some retail stores charge full price for them while releases from other companies tend to be discounted a bit.

As for odex, hopefully they learned their lesson about them. If not, well it's not like I actually watch my dvds, I just buy them to have them sitting on my shelf. Of course I don't imagine most people are like that.

Anyway, I'm looking foward to being able to put this series next to the only other mahou shoujo series I like, Magic Knight Rayearth.
Old 2007-06-30, 15:59   Link #136
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post

Wait, so they did the dub in singapore and released dvd in US? That doesn't make sense. It has to be more expensive to do this, doesn't it?
Old 2007-06-30, 16:02   Link #137
Shadow Angel
Hellraiser

Finally been wanting this for a long time now.
Old 2007-06-30, 16:11   Link #138
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
Wait, so they did the dub in singapore and released dvd in US? That doesn't make sense. It has to be more expensive to do this, doesn't it?
Well, off-topic, but it's not like they flew American actors to Singapore or anything; Odex used English-speaking dub actors from Singapore, and that was probably cheaper than paying U.S. or Canadian actors. It may also have been that Odex was dubbing the series already for their local market; I'm not sure.

In any event, there's been no news about the dub studio for Nanoha yet, so time will tell. Using a certain dub studio one time doesn't exactly set a precident.
Old 2007-06-30, 17:37   Link #139
Bloodseeker

One of the four anime that I've watched fansubbed that I'd actually be willing to buy (Higurashi, Nanoha, Hunter X Hunter, and Code Geass) got licensed! All I've got to say is that I hope that they don't half-ass it. Well, at the very least, I'll get to watch Nanoha with improved video and sound.

Edit: And of course, by not half-assing it, I mean giving it a proper dub with good VAs and no Japanese phrases that don't make sense in English mixed in, attractive cover art that will catch the attention of the non-pedo crowd, and a healthy supply of extras. After Higurashi though (haven't bought the first DVD yet, since I've been broke (though its at the top of my to-buy list for DVDs for sure), but I've heard and seen enough to know that it doesn't have a proper dub, that the DVD content is bare-bones with a static title menu and only previews for extras, and that the R1 cover art looks like shit), I don't really have my hopes up...

Last edited by Bloodseeker; 2007-06-30 at 17:58.
Old 2007-06-30, 17:49   Link #140
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Aah, it got licensed... Wonder if I should buy it? Too many licenses recently. Hmm... Maybe just A's.
Closed Thread