Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-21, 22:23   Link #1
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Anime/Manga : Looking for May x December Pairings

May-December pairings refer to couples who have an extreme age gap between them. Most notable example for this season is Ristorante Paradiso, a 21-year old woman who went to Rome and fell in love with a dashing gentleman twenty years her senior.

I've seen:

Anime
EF Tale of Melodies : Kuze x Mizuki (30? x 17)
Ristaurante Paradiso : Claudio x Nicoletta (40+? x 21)
Guin Saga : [Spoilers]
Rideback : Rin x Kiefer (37 x 21) <-- Though it goes 2x deeper in the manga.

Manga
Till Death do us Part : Mamoru x Haruka (30+? x 12)
Note : Just to clarify, this is not a loli pairing. You'll see why when you read.

On that note, May-December pairings do not refer to pedophile relationships. I prefer my heroines to be at a certain age range (16+ and above). I'd also like the heroines to be decent, none of those moeblobs, abusive tsunderes and useless shoujo heroines who worship the air their men breathes.
Old 2009-05-21, 23:35   Link #2
jedinat

Suki - the girl is in high school and the guy is in his early 30s
Help!! - student/professor
Miriam - in the first half of the manga the girl is 8 and the guy is 17... the romance takes place in the second half where they are now older.
Ichigo no Gakkou - student/teacher married with infant
Jinbe - father-in-law/daughter, tasteful as far as this kind of story can be
Koi Kaze - the incest overshadows the (rather large) age gap
White Dragon - similar basic plot to Till Death do us Part
Switch - student/teacher
Old 2009-05-22, 01:43   Link #3
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Heh, I was thinking the same thing too, although more along the lines of Ristorante Paradiso, but I suppose I'll take what I can get. ^^

Otoyomegatari - A historical piece set along the Silk Road in the 19th century; by the creator of Victorian Romance Emma, so it goes without saying that the artwork is lush, well-researched, and gorgeous. Curious thing here is that the main pairing (or what appears to be the main pairing, though circumstances could change later on) involves an older woman and a very young boy (about 10 to 14, maybe?). It's nothing sleazy; if you've read Emma, you know the kind of treatment to expect.

Blade of the Immortal - Not romance per se, but 16 year-old Rin (who is far from annoying by the way, she's awesome!) is crushing on her 30 year-something bodyguard, whether or not the bodyguard likes her back is still too ambiguous for now though I'm not really rooting for them, prefer AnotsuxRin. Amazing art (from anatomy to the backgrounds) and execution, with a lot of very easy to sympathize with characters.

Vampire Girl - Young girl and a twenty-something guy, who is much older than he looks. I know the title's nothing special, but the content surprised me a whole lot and made me an eternal Fujiwara Kaoru fan. Dark, slow-paced and pensive, focuses on the psychological aspect rather than the typical shoujo high school hijinx. Nothing like Vampire Knight.

Eternal Sabbath - Though I prefer Fuyumi Souryo's Cesare, this is still quite a solid sci-fi manga. 17-ish young boy with a mid-20s woman.
Old 2009-05-22, 02:04   Link #4
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
I would avoid that if I was looking for romance... though as just a pairing I guess it works.

Quote:
I loved that manga for the first volume or so... it becomes absolutely horrible towards the end... muddled borefest about angsty vampire pasts... though I guess if you don't hate Anne Rice like I do it might be likable. Anyways, I don't think vampires and supernatural creature romances really do the same things as a normal age gap. They are something else entirely, most of the time.

The other two are pretty good... Otoyomegatari especially. Awesome art in that.
Old 2009-05-22, 03:19   Link #5
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
I would avoid that if I was looking for romance... though as just a pairing I guess it works.
Rideback's not romance-focused either from what I've heard, haven't read the manga yet.

Quote:
I loved that manga for the first volume or so... it becomes absolutely horrible towards the end... muddled borefest about angsty vampire pasts... though I guess if you don't hate Anne Rice like I do it might be likable. Anyways, I don't think vampires and supernatural creature romances really do the same things as a normal age gap. They are something else entirely, most of the time.
If it means anything, I absolutely hated Anne Rice and found the only similar thing between her works and this VG are... well, the vampires. Neither did I find it a muddled borefest either, although I wouldn’t put it pass others to find it so; what may be a claustrophobic and engaging atmosphere for me could be completely tedious to another.

As for this being a supernatural romance, since I’m not really familiar with the rest of Cheesie’s list, I just thought what the heck.
Old 2009-05-22, 03:37   Link #6
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Rideback's not romance-focused either from what I've heard, haven't read the manga yet.
Yeah, the anime barely touches on it, with the exception of that shoujo rideback scene in ep 9.

Spoiler for Click for Kiefer x Rin spoilers:

With that, I'll go and read the recommendations that are posted here. Thanks so much, keep them coming!
Old 2009-05-22, 03:56   Link #7
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesie View Post
Yeah, the anime barely touches on it, with the exception of that shoujo rideback scene in ep 9.

Spoiler for Click for Kiefer x Rin spoilers:
Hur hur hur, I like. Too bad it's not licensed and scanlations have stalled. Where did you find the raws, btw?
Old 2009-05-22, 06:13   Link #8
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

Send a message via MSN to Natsuki Hyuga
LOL WHUT?! Cheesie ships MamoruxHaruka?!

Why did I feel you're taking safety route here than shipping? :P

Also, do Ojii-sanxgirl pairing counts? If yes, I think the portrayal of one of Adachi Mitsuru's manga (whose name I kind of forget) fits there. Google it lazy Cap'n! Oh wait, jedinat has already given it >3> It's Jinbe.

@kafka

She, as an obsessive fangirl, will do anything, even to the point of PM-ing the person who did the translation of the manga and have the RAW D:

Old 2009-05-22, 06:35   Link #9
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Hur hur hur, I like. Too bad it's not licensed and scanlations have stalled. Where did you find the raws, btw?
Contrary to the picture that Natsu tried to paint, I did no such thing, as a friend bought the manga and scanned the specific pages for me. The manga ended on a... highly unusual note, and I'm afraid that's all I could say lest I accidentally spoil some poor soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsu
LOL WHUT?! Cheesie ships MamoruxHaruka?!
Till Death do us Part was given as an example to highlight the theme I was looking for in this thread, in case people wanted me to be more specific with my request.
Old 2009-05-22, 07:23   Link #10
Fevvers
a regular van veen

@Natsuki

I see no wrong in that! ...She doesn't wait for things to be handed on a silver platter unlike me XD

@cheesie

I certainly don't mind being spoiled on anything KieferxRin related, even briefly, seeing as scanlations have been dropped, I think.
Old 2009-05-22, 15:41   Link #11
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fevvers View Post
If it means anything, I absolutely hated Anne Rice and found the only similar thing between her works and this VG are... well, the vampires. Neither did I find it a muddled borefest either, although I wouldn’t put it pass others to find it so; what may be a claustrophobic and engaging atmosphere for me could be completely tedious to another.
I actually just put in that Anne Rice comment without thinking about it much, lol, so you're probably right to deny any correlation. I am particularly bitter over Vampire Girl because I was closely following it from the time scanlations began.. I went so far as to add it to a couple manga databases, upload mirrors of chapters... it was one of my favorite manga for a while... then, IMHO, it became awful, everything I liked about it was put aside, and as you said "claustrophobic" is a good term to describe it. It went a similar path to various manhwa I've read and hated... all wrapped up in itself, not showing or doing anything I wanted to see... or so I'd like to say from my dim memories of it; it's been quite a while since I read the thing.

Anyways, in the spirit of being useful, more age gap manga:
Dear Mine - one of my favorite manga... may be viewed as shotacon or whatever, but the mental maturity of the kid denies that a bit I think
Faster than a Kiss - student/teacher secretly married
Itadakimasu - high school boy and divorcee
Old 2009-05-24, 16:12   Link #12
Irkalla
I asked for this

This thread rocks! And thanks everyone for all the tips.
The only thing that you guys haven't said and comes to my mind is Daddy Long legs.