AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2011-03-23, 18:04   Link #1421
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Getting the same voice actors to work on a remake is different then trying to get the same writers and artists who have all moved on to different companies. I'm not really all that worried about it. Besides, there's no logical reason for them to do it unless they thought the voice cast did a crappy job.
GundamAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-23, 18:17   Link #1422
winkel

Not to mention they couldn't bring back the original singer for the new OP either...

Like I said, they may just want to use a new cast because it suits their timing, budget, etc. better. Instead of trying to locate all the old cast and convincing them, then juggle all of their schedules of different companies and places, they could just hand-pick a whole new cast and move at their own pace.
winkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-23, 18:18   Link #1423
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

So wait, did they lose the character artist or the CG artist? Because those were two different people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkel View Post
Now definitely worried about the voice casting.
If we can replace Hoshi with someone who still remembers how to play something besides 'perverted lunatic' I will have no complaints.

Quote:
Like I said, they may just want to use a new cast because it suits their timing, budget, etc. better. Instead of trying to locate all the old cast and convincing them, then juggle all of their schedules of different companies and places, they could just hand-pick a whole new cast and move at their own pace.
Not many of the original voice actors are exactly busy these days.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-23, 18:23   Link #1424
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

But weren't you the one who already said that they obviously wouldn't bring back KAORI for the OP because of 5pb's policies?

I'm not trying to say that you're wrong, but I feel that you're jumping to conclusions a little too fast. Of course, I shouldn't really be talking when I've already jumped to conclusions about Code18, but this is a slightly different situation. It's not really like the cast has done anything too major recently, have they? I'm sure they're free.

Then again, I'm usually okay with these kinds of changes because if it's no good, I can always fall back on the original and say that since Nakazawa and Uchikoshi had nothing to do with it, it's nothing more than an cash-in attempt by 5pb., and leave it at that. Honestly, I'm usually okay with these kinds of changes. The one thing I wouldn't like, however, is if the cast changed, so I might just be trying to convince myself.
Old 2011-03-23, 18:24   Link #1425
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
If we can replace Hoshi with someone who still remembers how to play something besides 'perverted lunatic' I will have no complaints.
Lio Shirazumi? Well...okay, that's not helping, but I tend to be impressed by his hot-blooded character voice, so I'm still good with him.

The only busy seiyuu amongst the old ones I can think of would probably be Kana Ueda. Has she been in something major recently?
Old 2011-03-23, 18:31   Link #1426
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamAce View Post
The only busy seiyuu amongst the old ones I can think of would probably be Kana Ueda. Has she been in something major recently?
She's in Freezing this year. Not a major role though, I think.
Old 2011-03-23, 18:36   Link #1427
winkel

Quote:
Not many of the original voice actors are exactly busy these days.
I'm not concerned so much about busy, but actually still active.

Quote:
So wait, did they lose the character artist or the CG artist?
Both were the same person in the original. You may be thinking of the event graphics CG, of which there were numerous underlings working on it. But the one in overall control of chara deisgn and CG and character visuals were all one person.

Quote:
But weren't you the one who already said that they obviously wouldn't bring back KAORI for the OP because of 5pb's policies?
I meant that they would never use the old OP again, because for them, a new game is always a new opportunity to sell a new CD single!

What I meant is they could have brought her back to sing a new song. They were able to do it for Sharin no Kuni, and bring back Katakiri-san to sing a new OP (which I do like over her original), so there would be no reason not to.

Quote:
had nothing to do with it, it's nothing more than an cash-in attempt by 5pb., and leave it at that.
That is exactly the point though. If everything I've said comes to pass, that is exactly what it is, and definitely not what Ever17 deserves, and why I would wish that it was never remade at all and just left with the original.
Old 2011-03-23, 18:41   Link #1428
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

I can say for a fact that most of the voice actors are active. At the very least, I can account for Hoshi, Asakawa, Ueda, and Shitaya. Can't say anything about Kasahara and Mochizuki, however. But hey, that's still 2/3rds of the original cast.
Old 2011-03-23, 18:46   Link #1429
winkel

Quote:
Can't say anything about Kasahara and Mochizuki, however.
Those are exactly the two I was thinking of. They haven't been heard from for two years now. And some of the others like Asakawa and Ueda have trickled down to minor roles only the last few years, what would motivate them to suddenly take on a major game recording?
Old 2011-03-23, 18:50   Link #1430
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Both were the same person in the original. You may be thinking of the event graphics CG, of which there were numerous underlings working on it. But the one in overall control of chara deisgn and CG and character visuals were all one person.
I see. The character art was awful, though, so I really don't mind losing this person, especially since the new CGs we've seen don't look too different stylewise.

Quote:
what would motivate them to suddenly take on a major game recording?
Oh, I don't know, money?

Also Coco's voice could be replicated by just about anyone, really. It's very generic. Just like Coco herself.
Old 2011-03-23, 18:52   Link #1431
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Quote:
Those are exactly the two I was thinking of. They haven't been heard from for two years now. And some of the others like Asakawa and Ueda have trickled down to minor roles only the last few years, what would motivate them to suddenly take on a major game recording?
Maybe the fact that it is a major game recording? I mean, if you had only been playing minor characters for years, wouldn't you jump at the chance to play a major character, even if it was one you had already voiced? I know that I would want to do that. A video game pays a hell lot more than recording an anime does, after all, especially characters with as many lines as Tsugumi and Sara.

I wouldn't say Ueda only had minor roles, considering the Unlimited Blade Works movie last year (well, okay, Rin's role was reduced from the game, but still). And while she hasn't done much in anime, she's had more major roles in OVAs and video games.
Old 2011-03-23, 18:54   Link #1432
winkel

Quote:
I see. The character art was awful, though, so I really don't mind losing this person, especially since the new CGs we've seen don't look too different stylewise.
I would go into a diatribe about tastes and inability to appreciate quality and such, but I'll just refrain leave it at that.

But to note, we really haven't seen any new CGs yet, every CG so far are from the cropped PSP version. The only new art is the character splash on the home page, and the new CGs are likely definitely not going to look nicely like that if the original artist isn't in charge of them.

Quote:
Maybe the fact that it is a major game recording? I mean, if you had only been playing minor characters for years, wouldn't you jump at the chance to play a major character, even if it was one you had already voiced?
I'm not saying they've been forced to do minor roles (they're all well known seiyuu, they definitely can get major work) but they're voluntarily choosing to slow down their work, and thus what would put them to decide now to go against that and undergo a major work?

As for Coco, I would probably be happy if she was replaced, as I didn't like her voice at all in the original, but the principle of the matter is it should still be done by the original voice actress if it's going to be reprised.
Old 2011-03-23, 18:56   Link #1433
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
But to note, we really haven't seen any new CGs yet, every CG so far are from the cropped PSP version.
So Tsugumi's new outfit is from the PSP version? Because there's a CG floating around of her hauling Sara out of the water, and she's clearly wearing it there.

Quote:
I'm not saying they've been forced to do minor roles
You don't seem to understand how the voice acting industry works, especially if you are a woman.
Old 2011-03-23, 18:58   Link #1434
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Quote:
So Tsugumi's new outfit is from the PSP version? Because there's a CG on the website of her hauling Sara out of the water, and she's clearly wearing it there.
No, it wasn't. She still wore her black dress there. The only really new feature the PSP version had was TIPS.
Old 2011-03-23, 19:01   Link #1435
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
No, it wasn't.
Actually, nevermind, I'm full of shit, she's still in the black dress in the image I'm thinking of.

Whoops.
Old 2011-03-23, 19:08   Link #1436
winkel

Quote:
You don't seem to understand how the voice acting industry works, especially if you are a woman.
If you wouldn't mind, could you please clarify?
Old 2011-03-23, 19:26   Link #1437
VDZ

Quote:
I don't know what it's like in other countries, but I guess it'd probably be similar to Dutch TV celebrities: Get their place in the spotlight for a couple years, then get only minor roles, to eventually be phased out completely. No old people on TV. They're probably doing the same to seiyuu; hire young talented seiyuu, give them less work as they get older and when they get too old, fire them.
VDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-23, 19:28   Link #1438
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDZ View Post
I don't know what it's like in other countries, but I guess it'd probably be similar to Dutch TV celebrities: Get their place in the spotlight for a couple years, then get only minor roles, to eventually be phased out completely. No old people on TV. They're probably doing the same to seiyuu; hire young talented seiyuu, give them less work as they get older and when they get too old, fire them.
I wouldn't say that they fire them. Just give them extremely minor roles in anime. After all, there's a lot of elderly voice actors in Japan (though most of the memorable ones are men). A lot of elderly voice actors have worked until their deaths.

After all, if the logic were true that they would get rid of the old voice actors only after nine years, then how do you explain Dragon Ball Kai? I haven't seen it myself, but from what I've heard, almost all of the main cast reprised their roles, didn't they?

Oh, BTW, I'm just going on a tangent here. I still agree with what you say, VDZ, just that I don't think they go that far.
Old 2011-03-23, 20:01   Link #1439
Elvin

Quote:
No actor/actress would turn down a major role, especially in the anime industry. An established seiyuu (after a few years experience) would make about $120 per episode if they voiced a major roll and about $65 an ep if they voiced a minor roll. The only way they can feed themselves is if they get major roles and juggle multiple series at the same time. Take Sawashiro Miyuki, the busiest voice actress of 2010. She appeared in 219 episodes of anime total. Even if all of them were major roles (which they weren't), she'd only have made $26,280 from them (before taxes). Considering most seiyuu live and work in Tokyo (4th more expensive city to live in), that's really not enough without supplimenting their income with cd's/radio talkshows. Simply put, there are no voice actors/actresses stupid enough to turn down a lead roll because it makes them more money. The same goes for major roles in video games where more lines = more money. That said, it probably wasn't Yuu's and Kana's "choice" that they were only getting minor roles (though I love both of em).

The "especially if you're a woman" part of Kaisos's message might refer to the notion that there are a lot more female seiyuu than males, though I don't know how true that is. The female seiyuu market is hella competitive (N. Mizuki mentioned that your friends become your enemies when you're auditioning for the same roles), but I'd imagine that there being less roles for male seiyuu means that there are a lot of unheard ones out there that just can't manage to break into the spotlight.

Last edited by Elvin; 2011-03-24 at 21:08.
Elvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-24, 06:20   Link #1440
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDZ View Post
No old people on TV. They're probably doing the same to seiyuu; hire young talented seiyuu, give them less work as they get older and when they get too old, fire them.
This, yes. Unless you're a particularly famous voice actor, the roles you used to play will quickly be filled in by younger people before long.

This is especially true for female seiyuu, since a) they are quite often expected to double as idols, and b) voicing female characters is less like playing a role and more like conforming to established archetypes.

Tags
visual novel