AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-08-27, 13:23   Link #1
Hayaku
Ecchi go Boom 0(^.^)0

Anime about studying...

Ye, like the title says, studying is what I need, preferably about studying in college. Do not care as to what it contains, whether it be romance, action, ghosts, fantasy, drama, angst, comedy or even rape

Also, I don't mind the hikikomori genre either. Just recently I've watched NHK and am watching steins;gate and kamisama no memochou, so those are some examples I liked.

Anyways, I am looking forward to your suggestions, as I haven't watched any anime of this sort, the only two exceptions being death note (yeah, he did go to college now didn't he?) and itazura na kiss (yup, they sure did study at college).

The reason is mainly to see how that world is like, what to expect, and what to fantasize about, what to look forward to, what to be frightened about and explore a new genre in anime....

Appreciate all answers

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Old 2011-08-27, 13:41   Link #2
Smithsky

Honey and Clover
Old 2011-08-27, 14:29   Link #3
kitten320

I'm confused... do you basicly want an anime about heck knows what as long as everything happens at school/college/Uni?
Old 2011-08-27, 14:42   Link #4
Elegance

Nodame Cantabile
Old 2011-08-27, 15:22   Link #5
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Just a thought, maybe you'll like Baka to Test to Sokanju, The World God Only Knows, and Angel Beats! since those anime took place in schools most of the time (not college, mind you) and all of them is about learning something new. Oh, and also TWGOK has a kinda hikkikomori/otaku character that really hates the world too.
Old 2011-08-27, 17:27   Link #6
Theowne
耳をすませば

Technically there's a lot of anime where the main characters are technically in school and technically in the midst of "studying", but the plot usually doesn't have anything to do with it.

In this sense, both Nodame Cantabile and Honey and Clover both are good suggestions, because the fact that the characters are students at a university (a music college in the first, arts college in the second) actually does play a pretty important part in the story.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2011-08-27, 17:57   Link #7
ArrowSmith

Kare Kano is a good studying anime.
Old 2011-08-27, 18:54   Link #8
king12354

White Album. Main characters are in college although studying plays a small part in the story overall. Pretty decent series.
Old 2011-08-27, 19:00   Link #9
Forsaken_Infinity

Read or Die.
Old 2011-08-27, 20:33   Link #10
Hayaku
Ecchi go Boom 0(^.^)0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
I'm confused... do you basicly want an anime about heck knows what as long as everything happens at school/college/Uni?
Yes, this seems to be the general idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elegance View Post
Nodame Cantabile
Watched the first episode and.... absolutely loved it :O don't know why I haven't watched this earlier....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Just a thought, maybe you'll like Baka to Test to Sokanju, The World God Only Knows, and Angel Beats! since those anime took place in schools most of the time (not college, mind you) and all of them is about learning something new. Oh, and also TWGOK has a kinda hikkikomori/otaku character that really hates the world too.
Yeah, I've watched all of the above already, and gotta say I loved them, but I am trying to get away from the high school romance/action/whatever and into the college/uni action/romance/whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quancio View Post
also watched this first episode and gotta say I didn't know what to expect until the second episode. But I was glad I didn't just drop it and watched the second episode as well because I have grown fond of this one as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by king12354 View Post
White Album. Main characters are in college although studying plays a small part in the story overall. Pretty decent series.
I really liked the first episode of this one actually. Really mature and likeable. I have high expectations for this one as of now

Old 2011-08-27, 23:45   Link #11
Divini
Senpai!

If you haven't seen/read it, Love Hina. Probably the most classic example I can think of.

Highly recommend the manga over the anime.
Old 2011-08-28, 02:03   Link #12
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

You might like Moyashimon, an unusual tale about a college freshman who can see microbes. Don't bother with the more recent live-action version; stick to the original anime series.
Old 2011-08-28, 02:27   Link #13
YuriEcchiGirl

I second Love Hina, there's also Negima, School Days, School Rumble, Peach Girl & Ah! My Goddess that I can suggest to you aswell off-hand that all have a school based themed, be it either in full or part
Old 2011-08-28, 06:12   Link #14
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Why hasn't anyone mentioned The Tatami Galaxy? Can't think of any Anime that is truer to the college experience.

It's a bit like Welcome to the NHK.
Old 2011-08-28, 06:45   Link #15
kitten320

Then I'll copy my list from other thread, mostly school:

Angel Beats - action, school life, supernatural, comedy
Bamboo Blade - sports, kendo, school life, comedy (found it entertaining, and characters are nice too)
Busou Renkin - action, supernatural, school life, comedy, drama
Clannad - supernatural, slice of life, comedy, drama
Code Geass - Mecha, comedy, drama, supernatural, military, school life (Not fully at school but there are a lot of scenes there)
Full Metal Panic - action, comedy, school life, mecha
Ga-Rei Zero - action, supernatural, drama comedy, schoo life (Not so much of school life but still has it. Heavy in drama but also has some nice humour)

GTO - that's a must see! It is fully about school life and with a lot of humour! One of my favorites!

Green Green - ecchi, comedy, school life, romance, supernatural
Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou - echi, comedy, harem, action, school life, supernatural
K-ON - 100% school life, comedy, music, moe
Kaichou wa Maid-sama! - school life, comedy, romance
Kanon 2006 - school life, comedy, drama, action
Mai HiME - school life, comedy, drama, action, supernatural, romance (I really liked this series, some of the first I had watched)
Shugo Chara - school life, comedy, supernatural, action, magical girl (If you don't mind something fluffy)
Soul Eater - school life, action, supernatural, comedy (About shinigami school)
Toaru Majutsu no Index - school life, action, supernatural, comedy
Ao no Exorcist - school life, action, supernatural, comedy (still ongoing)
Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai - school life, comedy, romance, supernatural (Really funny and unique, could be called harem at some point too)
Toradora - school life, comedy, drama, romance
Suzuka - School life, drama, romance, love triengle, comedy, sports
Love Hina - University, harem, comedy (Mostly takes action not at Uni, but main character is trying to get in one. Manga is better)
Rosario + Vampire - harem, comedy, school life, supernatural, romance, action (manga is better)
Old 2011-08-28, 06:48   Link #16
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The OP is specifically looking for shows about college life. There are tons of shows about "school life," but they are usually set in middle or high school. There are many fewer shows about college life; that's why there are so few relevant replies like Tatami Galaxy, Nodame Cantabile, or Moyashimon.
Old 2011-08-28, 06:57   Link #17
kitten320

College life and school life are not that much different in my opinion =/ Except age difference.
Old 2011-08-28, 10:36   Link #18
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Kuragehime
C
Kamisama Dolls

For College Life:
Nodame Cantabile and Honey & Clover
Old 2011-08-28, 17:31   Link #19
Hayaku
Ecchi go Boom 0(^.^)0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
The OP is specifically looking for shows about college life. There are tons of shows about "school life," but they are usually set in middle or high school. There are many fewer shows about college life; that's why there are so few relevant replies like Tatami Galaxy, Nodame Cantabile, or Moyashimon.
Thank you for clarifying this, as I don't think many people understood this. And all of those suggestions went straight in my to-watch list, which I'll have gone through in about a week or so :O

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Why hasn't anyone mentioned The Tatami Galaxy? Can't think of any Anime that is truer to the college experience.

It's a bit like Welcome to the NHK.
Haha I have been looking for something in the NHK area, I really loved that series, and if this even resembles NHK to a quarter, I will love it as well. I see that it was released 2010, and I have no idea how this one slipped by me.... Thanks for the suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
College life and school life are not that much different in my opinion =/ Except age difference.
Really depends on the person. Some people who only went to high school to study, and probably only will go college just to study won't notice any greater change. However, there many people who find their significant other in college, many people drop out of college because of how hard it is. These are the years that define what you will be working with for the rest of your working life, so in a way, there are a lot of differences. One major difference is that you don't see many trouble makers here, either they take college seriously, or they are supersmartwtfubergeniuses who can drink their tea during class and walking away with the highest scores.

Also, really appreciate the suggestions even though many of these were more in the high school area, and many of whom I've already watched. But like I said, I am past the high school area for now (unless some really cool ones show up, or sequels that soon start to air) and I hope to get some more suggestions.

Closed Thread

Tags
college, seinen, study